Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Dombra   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Piwin

RE: Dombra (in reply to Escribano

quote:

mais je peux l'entendre ici.

Wow. I'd love to know on average how many languages foro members speak. Just on this thread we've gone from English to Chinese to French!

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2016 11:30:51

Piwin

RE: Dombra (in reply to Dudnote

Yeah there is a longstanding tradition in France to focus not so much on the music but on the lyrics. The so-called "paroliers". Though it's a tradition that seems to be losing ground fairly rapidly.
Even French humor used to be based a lot on the language itself (as opposed to, say, situational comedy), with some of the greats of French stand-up such as Pierre Desproges or Raymond Devos. But that too seems to be changing.

Back to Afghanistan: I browsed a bit through freemuse.org as well and had found this report
There is also a BBC documentary called that covers the history of Afghan musicians from the Soviet era, through the Mujahideen rule and subsequent Taliban rule. (The story of Amruddin, around min. 25, really got to me...)

There are quite a few names of Afghan artists both in the report and in the documentary and that's basically what I've been looking up.

My starting point was this:

Though this is Qawwali sung by a Pakistani and not Afghan music, I guess there must have been some interplay between the two since Ali Khan collaborated with some Afghan artists. Or perhaps the purists were calling Qawwali fusion?

As for Afghan music per se, I've been listening to some of this:

As far as singers are concerned, she's the most interesting thing I've found so far. Everyone seems to think that Ahmad Zahir was a great singer, but I'm just not feeling it...

"Anything you do can be fixed. What you cannot fix is the perfection of a blank page. What you cannot fix is that pristine, unsullied whiteness of a screen or a page with nothing on it—because there’s nothing there to fix."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2016 11:56:17

Escribano

RE: Dombra (in reply to Piwin

quote:

I'd love to know on average how many languages foro members speak.

Por supuesto, hay un poco de español y andalu aquí también.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2016 13:21:01

Leñador

RE: Dombra (in reply to Piwin

I'm gunna guess 2 on average. There's likely a lot of Americans that only speak one that would bring our average down to two. I kinda wanna know too....maybe a I make a poll.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2016 17:30:31

Piwin

RE: Dombra (in reply to Escribano

quote:

y andalu aquí también

Olé!

It was actually through Paco Ibanez that I first got acquainted with the main poets of Andalucia. He has a way of putting their poems into song without deforming the essence of the texts. A rare gift.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2016 18:39:12

Piwin

RE: Dombra (in reply to Leñador

Good idea! The results won't be all that reliable since it's very subjective (I don't think I'm the only out there who at times had the impression of speaking fluently when the people I was speaking to could probably barely make out what I was saying )
Should be fun to see what people say though.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2016 18:44:14
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post