Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Reading Music   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Estevan

RE: Reading Music (in reply to Paul Magnussen

Thanks for explaining the Torregrosa mystery, Paul.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2016 16:47:40

Leñador

RE: Reading Music (in reply to Sr. Martins

quote:

but you can bet that chuscales would have an easier time writing music if he could actually you know, write it down.

'Cus god forbid he write it down with tab. lol
I can write and read notes, decipher key signatures, read chord charts, can build basic chords and have a basic memorization of the circle of fifths. If a musician asks me if I know theory I say "Not really.".

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2016 16:56:26

El Kiko

RE: Reading Music (in reply to Ricardo

. .Good Grief ...

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2016 17:17:31

Ricardo

RE: Reading Music (in reply to chester

quote:

ORIGINAL: chester

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

Chuscales for example said he does not really read notation or claim to know theory in a way he can explain it in terms of counterpoint or the names of stacked up chords. But you'll not find many guitar players who understand the fingerboard and how to construct music better then he does.

I think Ricardo is correct and I sleep tonight awaiting a nightmare in which Chusco plays without notation and goes totally off the reservation of theory.

Nino Ricardo was supposed to have been the same way. It was observed by a few students that you could place one of his fingers anywhere on the fingerboard and call out a palo and he would play a falseta off that note in the palo called. Or was it invent a whole new falseta? Either way kind of mind blowing.

Funny that you should mention chuscales. I distinctly remember taking a lesson with jason mcguire where he was extolling the virtues of knowing theory for allowing him to play a buleria on any key while "guys like chuscales" can't understand how he does it.

I'm not saying that one needs to formally know music theory in order to create good music, especially for a harmonically simple genre like flamenco, but you can bet that chuscales would have an easier time writing music if he could actually you know, write it down.

About torregrossa... He wrote wrong fly poop to sell so Paco (and family with Camaron records) could collect (c) royalties in addition to (p) royalties. What a nice guy. Of course I realized, as a music business student in college, what an easy way for no talent mediocrity to leech money off of the talents of others simply due to ignorance about the biz, and ability to "read and write" ie "know" music. Mr. Tore gross ah, also was receiving his not so fair share of both (c) and (p), as if HE composed a SINGLE FREAKIN NOTE, thanks to his AMAZING ABILITY (sarcasm) to read and write standard notation. You can already guess my feelings about this so called "music exam" one needs to pass in Spain and FOR WHAT REASON IT WAS DESIGNED.

I think I am about finito with this topico.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2016 20:06:01

Paul Magnussen

RE: Reading Music (in reply to Ricardo

Same sort of turnout in Britain: when Percy Grainger and Vaughan Williams and those dudes wrote down all those folk songs, by law the copyrights went to them instead of the poor impecunious sods they collected from.

On the other hand, at least they were genuinely interested in the music and tried to do their best for the singers, as opposed to being mere parasites…
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2016 22:49:28

DavRom

RE: Reading Music (in reply to Estevan

why should copyrights go to singers who just sang and did not compose folk songs?!

if there were recordings sold then they should have gotten a piece of the pie, otherwise not
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2016 23:39:55

estebanana

There is a long and intense back story between Chusco and Jason, which I'm not at liberty to go into in public. That context is important to any story.

I used to take lessons with Chusco when he came to town and I would say show me your easy stuff and he would say, I donnut haff innny essay stuff!

His music is fairly complex, he really should have a solo recording out again, but it is not like Jason's music which is different. I wish I could say more, but both are guitar gods in my book.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2016 23:51:46

Paul Magnussen

RE: Reading Music (in reply to DavRom

quote:

why should copyrights go to singers who just sang and did not compose folk songs?!

Because they were at least members of the community that produced the songs; and (since collected versions of the songs are nearly always different, often substantially so*) the singers also compose, to a greater or lesser extent as the case may be.

Whereas the collector’s manuscript is a totally derivative work (to use the copyright phraseology).

* I have nine versions of Wiliam Taylor in my own collection alone.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2016 0:23:33

DavRom

the question was rhetorical (?!)

and a singer changing a song constitutes a composer, really?!

so we are all surrounded by composers, i.e., people who can't learn to sing a song correctly

LOL

i'm sorry i asked, even if rhetorically
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2016 0:58:54

Paul Magnussen

RE: Reading Music (in reply to DavRom

quote:

so we are all surrounded by composers, i.e., people who can't learn to sing a song correctly

That’s one thing I’ve always loved about folk music, including Flamenco: there are no “correct” versions.

In fact I don’t think anyone, neither the singer nor the collector, should have the copyright: almost by definition, folk music should be in the Public Domain.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2016 16:07:12
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post