Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Cypress?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Vince

Cypress? 

Unfortunately I run out of cypress!
Where do you buy your cypress?
In Germany it is hard to find cypress wood for back and sides in good quality for an reasonable price!
Where do you buy cypress preferable in Europe?
Is the Madinter second grade quality OK?
Who has ordered wood from turkey (Octopus etc.)? I think I have to pay some taxes too, for orders placed outside the EU?
Any tips are welcome!
What is a good price for a set?

Vince
http://www.gitarrenbau-held.de/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 24 2016 15:59:02

Anders Eliasson

RE: Cypress? (in reply to Vince

I buy my cypress at Madinter (1st grade) and I trust their service.

1st grade is good and consistancy is good
2nd grade is ok, consistancy is not as good and in general the wood seems to be cut from smaller trees or further up the tree where it is narrow. This means that often the quality on the wings is poorer with the grain not being quatersawn. This means softer near the edges.
Others have complained about their purchase from madinter

I have bought from Octopussy. their 1st grade was like Madinter 2nd grade and import tax+ managing was some 25% extra cost. I dont think it was worth it. Others like what they get.

Dont buy online from maderas Barber in Valencia. They have very good wood, but you never know what they send and if you complain aboy your purchase, they are EXTREMELY ignorant and poorly behaved.

Price... good cypress is NOT cheap.

I hope this helps.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2016 8:06:33

Stephen Eden

I don't think you can generalise when it comes to price. I've had great stuff from Akustic that was over half the price of other vendors and better imo. If you can't go and hand pick it I find it will always be a lottery no matter who you buy it form.

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2016 11:02:15

tijeretamiel

Not cheap, and I don't know how far you are from Espen in Germany, but they have Spanish Cypress and their top grade set is priced around that of MadInter (not sure how their quality will compare though)

If you aren't too far away you could make a journey there and select the sets yourself.

http://shop.espen.de/index.php
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 25 2016 11:22:36

constructordeguitarras

I have ordered cypress from Akustikwood in Turkey several times. I have ordered only their second grade, which I have found to be excellent. They are a little slow--maybe a month to receive the order after placing it through an email. But the quality has always been good and they send bonus treats too, such as a few pieces of bridge wood or burls. Shipping is included in the prices and I haven't had to pay any taxes or duties; only bank fees to send payment.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2016 19:32:09

Vince

The problem with Akustikwood is, they don't answer to my emails.
I buy a lot of spruce Tops from Espen but the cypress is to expensive.

Vince
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2016 5:36:28

Anders Eliasson

quote:

I buy a lot of spruce Tops from Espen but the cypress is to expensive

Yes, all tonewoods are to expensive. Basically, life is to expensive for many of us.

Actually, Espen´s price for top grade Cypres is a bit lower than Madinter.
Cypres has been more or less like that for years. How many sets do you need? I can understand if you need 20 - 50 - 100 or more.

The problem with buying from Turquey is that you dont know what you get and when you get it. to that add 25 - 30% in tax! Vince and me are in Europe!

Finally, Its not a bad idea and has never been so to buy local. It means that you have some kind of control with what you get. If I get something from Madinter (which is in Spain just like me) I can send it back in no time and get something else within a few days and for no extra cost.
Or I can do it even better I can go there and pick my tonewood. That way I´m sure about what I get, often there is very nice tonewoods in the 2nd graded woods and price can be discussed. And finally, its a nice feeling to do things that way.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2016 8:17:31

Flamingrae

quote:

The problem with Akustikwood is, they don't answer to my emails.

Hate to say it but I would agree on this one. It never used to be like this, but recently I had to write four times - the last one was a google translate to Turkish which prompted an apology and a price list. In the past they have been good - apart from a supposed first grade cypress which was not really up to the mark. Everything else has been good. I would have thought that they might have nailed the reply emails by now - ho hum. Time to cut up the Spalted Sycamore then.......
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 4 2016 22:17:59

crossoverman

I think not only tonewood is to expensive todays. But its very funny to see nearly all people found everything to expensive todays, but they for theirselves want to earn as much money as possible too.

Go into a shop or to a luthier and start a discussion about the price that he wants to have for his guitars.....What do you think will be the result?

Thx, Gerrit
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2016 8:11:07

Vince

First, fortunately I don’t have to earn money only with guitar making.
But price for Wood etc. have to be balanced with the time you need to build and the money you need for life.
I don’t say wood is too expensive essentially, but it is too expensive referring to the price of a guitar from an average builder.
Mind game:
Let’s say a fair price for a guitar is 4000-6000 Euros. (;-)
Material is 300-400 Euros.
Building time is 200-300h.
Hourly wage = 18 Euros/h. This is not much but you can life from your income.
But this calculation is not the real life!
In mind, that the customers have to earn his money too, this is fair price for all. Not too much and not too little.
Gerrit: You are from Switzerland. Maybe we have a different feeling for prices? I life near the Swiss boarder and my wife is working in Switzerland, so I know whereof I speak.
I disagree with you. For example foodstuff, especially meat is much too cheap. Handmade guitars are too cheap.
I don’t compare luthier with Animals but for both it is not ethical!
The solution for these adverse conditions, become an vegetarian an buy a violin!

Vince
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2016 9:20:15

Anders Eliasson

RE: Cypress? (in reply to crossoverman

quote:

I think not only tonewood is to expensive todays. But its very funny to see nearly all people found everything to expensive todays, but they for theirselves want to earn as much money as possible too.

Go into a shop or to a luthier and start a discussion about the price that he wants to have for his guitars.....What do you think will be the result?

I´m sure there are other foro members interested in discussing this with you. But since this is about where to get decent cypress for a decent price, then what you write is off-topic and maybe you could be kind and start another thread.

Vince. If you can get 2 or 3rd grade cypress backs that have been downgraded because of the tree being to narrow so that the grain of the back is starting to tilt near the edges and thus being soft, then a very traditional and IMO pretty way of doing things is to insert a 60 - 80mm centerpiece of cypress. That way you can get good looks (IMHO) and acoustical quality for a lower price.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2016 9:58:37

Vince

Thank you for this Anders.
Nice guitar!

Vince
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2016 10:00:37

crossoverman

Thats it....your reactions just show exactly that what I wanted to say.....By the way. Building time is not working time......

Nice guitar Anders. So you take a 3rd grade price for it?...

Thx, Gerrit
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2016 13:22:22

mounirben

RE: Cypress? (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Nice Back !

Andres, do you use hide glue as sealer to give this nice warm golden color to Cypress ?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2016 13:34:11

Anders Eliasson

Mounirben.
No i dont. I just French Polish.
And to crossoverman, yes, I´m down to 3rd grade prices for 1st grade work lately. take a look in the classifieds section.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2016 16:57:45

tijeretamiel

Nice work Anders.

I really like the look of a 3 piece back like the one above.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2016 18:34:38

crossoverman

It was just a joke Anders. I dont think that you sell your guitars to expensive, even without reducing them....I still like your guitars.

Thx, Gerrit
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2016 19:18:11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote