Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Local carol service for rescue dogs   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Escribano

Local carol service for rescue dogs 

My wife and dog are in there somewhere and I get a sound bite. Great evening for a worthy cause.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 10:51:15

Ruphus

RE: Local carol service for rescue dogs (in reply to Escribano

Very nice! Loved it!
Amazing to me and making me jelous to see how decently raised dogs can be gathered in heaps while being all calm. (My dogs thanks to all the terror and its consequences, ... I am anxciously wondering if I could ever make them behaving civilized specially in respect to stranger dogs, should I manage to return to the civilized world together with them.)
You come across great, the priest as well, and the footage is top notch including the audio work.

Greyhound racing, respectively conduct of the racing hounds owners should be put under strict official surveillance. To stop their cruel management.

Amicable engagement, Simon!

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 11:44:02

Escribano

RE: Local carol service for rescue dogs (in reply to Ruphus

Thanks Ruphus.

All the dogs here are either rescued strays (including ours) or retired greyhounds. No training, just naturally gentle dogs. The 'priest' is Anthony Head, an actor who was in Buffy The Vampire Slayer amongst others and patron of the GRWE charity.

The local dogs home and this greyhound charity never euthanise a healthy dog. They are looked after for life.

I have friends in Spain doing the same. Even shipping dogs to new homes in England.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 11:58:57

Ruphus

Over here there is a private shelter who sends rescued dogs to the USA. I inquired whether they could help me send at least two of mine to Europe, but they were not interested.

I stopped supporting them the minute that I saw them breeding. They may have an economical point for financing themselves that way, but I am of the firm conviction that no dog should exist in Middle East / that enlarging the number in whatever way is a crime.
-

I didn´t know that stray dogs exist in GB. Is it a rather contemporary phenomenon or has there always been a considerable amount? And is the number of them a large one?

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 12:21:07

Escribano

Over 110,000 stray dog are picked up in the UK each year. Adopting one requires a strict home visit and paying 150 Euros for neutering plus microchip.

An estimated 50% of stray dogs are reunited with their owners , either by being reclaimed during the statutory local authority kennelling period (35%) or returned directly to their owner without entering a kennel (15%). A quarter (26%) are passed on to welfare organisations or dog kennels after the statutory period. 7% are euthanised behavioural or health grounds.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 12:25:42

Ruphus

Oh my, what a number! (Always been like that?)
Great adoption policy!

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 12:28:21

Escribano

I added some statistics to my last post. 50% are returned to their owners.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 12:30:16

Ruphus

That is a good share of returned ones!

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 12:38:20

El Kiko

im sure its a good cause , but that has got to be the worst place for me ..
i have an irrational fear of dogs i believe its called Cynophobia ..

my head says that dogs are probably ok ..probably ...

but when they come toward me ,,usually to sniff or something I need to have an invisible force field to keep them about 5 mts away or so ..i always turn so that the dog always has to be in front of me ... not to the side or , god forbid , behind me ...

I have never kicked a dog ..but the irrational fear of them as they approach says ... ''panic ,, get it away ,, kick it away ...''
hence irrational

my friends say ...''aw hes a nice dog he doesnt bite or do anything , he just wants to say hello ... ''
that really doesnt help ...

I dont think dogs like me anyway ....cats come to me often , even strays .. im fine with cats .. i have 2 ...

Sorry Simon ...good cause , but thats one church that i cant enter ever until its been cleaned and i would have to check in all the corners to see none were left behind ...

irrational ....

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 13:38:03

edguerin

quote:

I have friends in Spain doing the same.

Would that be the Fundacion Benjamin Mehnert ?
They sponsored a wonderful poster-exhibition in Sevilla last year with photos shot by Nicolás Haro, featuring Galgos and flamenco artists
I particularly like Chana and Israel Galván

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 15:09:54

hamia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Escribano

Thanks Ruphus.

All the dogs here are either rescued strays (including ours) or retired greyhounds. No training, just naturally gentle dogs. The 'priest' is Anthony Head, an actor who was in Buffy The Vampire Slayer amongst others and patron of the GRWE charity.

The local dogs home and this greyhound charity never euthanise a healthy dog. They are looked after for life.

I have friends in Spain doing the same. Even shipping dogs to new homes in England.

About 8 or 9 years ago (I am guessing a bit here) I binge watched all 7 (or whatever it was) seasons of BTVS. I was over 40 at the time so that probably makes me a rare animal. And Veronica Mars!

I shipped a small stray dog back to the UK from China around 2010. She had been hanging around the office since the previous summer and a bad attack of mange had seen her hair gradually fall out until it was a very sparse covering. And when winter came around she was really in a bad way. She was too timid to allow me to get near but I made a small nest out of a plastic bowel and cotton wool which she eventually learned to use. She made it through the winter into the next summer and I had already started making arrangements to ship her back to the UK when one day my colleague told me there would be a round up of all stray dogs in the office compound. She thought they would all be rehoused somewhere but I was less sanguine about their prospects and within a few hours had the dog in a cardboard box on her way to Beijing. 5 years later she is living a very comfortable life at my sisters place. Not many dogs in China are so lucky. I would often see in winter (sub zero temps) small dogs trotting alongside a road - miles from anywhere.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2015 17:04:48

Ruphus

Searching for something else (the search function rarely actually worked for me), I came across this thread again.

Thought to add something that could be of informational value to those interested.
Small dogs usually have less chances to survive as strays in regions where strays are largely common.
Less because of bigger ones attacking them (which you would expect to be happening only from freshly released ones who were kept under neurotic making conditions), but because dogs unlike wolves aren´t prepared to share. So, small dogs tend to stay low on the feeding range / often won´t be making it for long.

That is why here in Middle East you see almost exclusively big dogs straying. -Or rather mid-sized ones to be more precise, as larger specimens get killed soon through action of the people who fear them. (To which fact also add further circumstances, like: # Abandoned ones often times being shepherd dogs which will be simply dissed when the shepherd sell herds to sloughter house -not seldomly midst urban eras-. # Guarding dogs being abandoned when real estate has been sold, as the new owner fear the animal / get themselves some new puppies (preferably pre 3 month of age / at ~ 2 or 3 weeks, as they expect it to become more devoted to themselves).

Also stray dogs who trust will often times be doomed. Being shy and vary is mandatory to make it through for more than 2 or 3 years. (Which is why good-willing people or tourists make a basic mistake with luring them.)
They will either be caught and tortured for pastime, or caught for to expose them to raging specimens who are being trained that way as fighting dog.

- Demonstrating one more time the lacking character of people who conduct pits. For strays being highly socialized with fellows of their species, and absolutely gotten by surprise / not anticipating the fury of the attack, fully exposed / just torn into pieces.
-

Asides, one bit I observe which seems to counter the firmness of imprint respectively lack of imprint in puppy age, as being colported in special realms / kynology:

Dogs here are being raised and kept almost exclusively as sociopaths. So when they get abandoned they are incompatible with the packs and solo strays. Yet, I think to have observed examples that showed how they over time learned to socialize despite maturity.

Remarkable at that how patient and forgiving advanced strays are, allowing for the apathetic and greatly fearing / aggressive newcomers to learn.

In general higher developed animals appear to be more flexible with overcoming individuals original forming than science accounts them for. In fact, so it seems to me, more so than humans, if you consider whereabouts of attempts to resocialize abandoned humans. (And even yet the intellectual stubborness of socially / factually sophisticated.)

And anyway, humans not brought up adequately / humanely present the worst creature of all.
Or to say it in a constuctive way: It is extremely essential to ensure appropriate education of humans, as they depend on it like no other species in order to become a being of their own.

As an all-learning species they need to learn yet the most self-evident things.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2016 8:42:38
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote