Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

What side are you on???   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
[Poll]

What side are you on???

The Dark Side
  60% (6)
The Force
  40% (4)

Total Votes : 10

(last vote on : Jan. 8 2016 18:13:25) 
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

El Kiko

What side are you on??? 

this poll should see how we divide up ...

I just realized i dont know what the opposite of the Dark Side is called ???
not the light side surely...the bright side ....??
always look on the bright side .....???

Everyone wants to be a hero ...but the baddies are usually more interesting ....not being bound by morals and stuff...

so whadayathink ??

if it comes out 50 / 50 we can have a fight.....
also ...try thinking what colour light saber you want .....

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2015 21:47:18

Dudnote

RE: What side are you on??? (in reply to El Kiko

Who are those guys? Is it the flamenco police. The poor girl, she did a compas of 13 and it was her unlucky number.

Ay compañerita de mi alma
tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 17 2015 23:50:21

estebanana

I don't understand the pole choices. The Force has a dark side and a light side. So to say you are on the side of the Force is true either way.

The question should be did you go to the dark side? In the Star Wars mythology a person is created as one with the force but can use the force for good or evil dark or light.

Sorry for the nerdy distinction, but it's important.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2015 0:56:43

Sr. Martins

RE: What side are you on??? (in reply to Dudnote

quote:

Who are those guys?

"Ya no me conoce el sol, porque yo duermo de dia"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2015 2:47:29

Dudnote

RE: What side are you on??? (in reply to Sr. Martins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sr. Martins

quote:

Who are those guys?

to you too Froggy

tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2015 4:17:51

Dudnote

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Kiko.
also ...try thinking what light saber you want .....

A light saber? Give me a heavy saber anytime, far better for dissecting rude frogs with. And whilst you're at it, a horse, a shield, some hay to feed said horse, a bottle of cider and some extra hay to lie down on with that lass in the picture that somehow reminds me of Estrella Morente.

tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2015 4:20:56

edguerin

Light saber? Yo preferiría saber tocar.

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2015 8:30:05

Sr. Martins

"Ya no me conoce el sol, porque yo duermo de dia"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2015 12:33:54

El Kiko

RE: What side are you on??? (in reply to estebanana

estebanana ..............
that was my point ... although you are right and both sides use the FORCE..
the dark side has its own title ...the dark side of the force ... but the good one ...(that you called the light side) ... doesnt have its own title ,,, and its definately not the light side ...

and anyway I want a green light saber , the same colour as O Sr. Martins kermit...

and ..the backside is winning 2 : 1

sorry darkside

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2015 18:30:41

BarkellWH

When you guys tire of playing with your light sabers you can go see a very good film entitled "In the Heart of the Sea." Based on the book published in 2000 by historian Nathaniel Philbrick, it is the story of the whaling ship Essex, out of Nantucket, that was on a voyage in 1820 when it was attacked and damaged beyond repair by a whale. The crew abandoned ship for life boats, and one of the crew that eventually made it to safety recounted the story to Herman Melville, who used it as the source for his great novel "Moby Dick." It was an incredible real-life story, and the movie does it justice.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2015 20:34:09

El Kiko

RE: What side are you on??? (in reply to BarkellWH

Any robots in it ?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2015 23:07:34

estebanana

Oh robots, yeah, you mean 'droids.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 12:01:22

estebanana

Bill,

I'd like to see that film, but I'm not near any theaters where such films are screened. I will wait until it gets put on DVD and try to find it. I have a backlog of films to watch and if I get to visit the US at some point I'll be looking at films.....seriously, you would think Japan is an easy place to get things, but it's very difficult to get English language films here, other than Disney crap blockbusters. There is very little distribution of non commercial headliner films here. Only the most mundane Hollywood- Pixar ventures are common.

For me this is a real downer because I'm an off kilter cinema maven. I love interesting and obscure documentaries.....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 12:18:27

El Kiko

i thought this would be in every cinema in the world ... its already the biggest grossing film on opening night ..

curious .. in japan to they put subtitles and have the original voices or dubb over .. with voices that sound nothing like the actors ... eg too high or too low ...

in Spain nearly everything on the telly is dubbed , and sounds weird for that , in Portugal they just put subtitles, and leave the English voice ,, even though i dont have to read the Portuguese subtitles , i find i cant help it ... and more often than not find my self thinking ....''he didnt actually say that ...or ... wow they skip a whole paragraph of stuff there ... etc ...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 13:45:37

El Kiko

i see the dark side is way out in the voting front now .... that one Jedi is gonna have his work cut out when it comes to the xmass fight

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 13:47:57

estebanana

In Japan they subtitle mainly. For old TV American TV shows they sometimes buy them and dub them, but most tv's have subtitles which you can turn on and off.

Big name movies are subtitled Star Wars will have subtitties.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 23:30:50

El Kiko

then your probably ok .. at least you can watch some stuff without laughing ...old American TV shows dubbed into Japanese must be a riot ...

apparently the big name that is always mismatched by voice is john Wayne .it just never ,ever comes out right ..Get off your horse and drink your milk.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2015 1:08:28

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

...seriously, you would think Japan is an easy place to get things, but it's very difficult to get English language films here, other than Disney crap blockbusters.

When I lived in Palo Alto my Japanese girlfriend and I were regulars at the art film houses in San Francisco. She lived at the top of Twin Peaks in the City, with the view down Market Street all the way to the Ferry Building. She referred to Palo Alto as "the farm." So I was surprised when she said she wanted to see "The Lady and the Tramp" when it was revived at the big cinema in Mountain View. She was usually the high culture, maybe kind of snooty girl. I didn't immediately display enthusiasm, so she started telling me about the famous people voicing various characters. To please her, we went. It was in the afternoon, a lot of kids with their parents. Afterward we were sitting in a sidewalk cafe in Palo Alto, while she went on about the film. I finally hinted that Disney was often seen as a perhaps a little kitschy in the USA.

She said, "In Japan Disney's a big cultural thing! There are university courses studying his stuff, academic people write books about Disney."

But that was the old-time Disney, I guess: Snow White, etc.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2015 1:22:04

BarkellWH

RE: What side are you on??? (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

But that was the old-time Disney

When I was growing up in Phoenix, around the period 1954-1956, I would really enjoy Walt Disney's series of nature films when they came out in theatres. There were about five over the years, and I don't remember all their titles. Two I do remember were "The Living Desert" and "The Vanishing Prairie." They were very interesting, and, to a young boy, a good introduction to the flora and fauna in different natural environments.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2015 10:33:09

estebanana

Fellas, don't get me started on Japanese pop culture, it's super strange. Old Japanese culture is sublime, todays pop culture...nonsense, vapid, odd, horrid.....perversely compelling and repellent.

There is a free Disney channel on TV here and the damn fishing channel is a pay channel! Outrageous! A guy can't even drink a beer and watch a damn fishing show! Bah HumBUg!

I remember the old Disney productions too, some were quite edifying in a popular intellectual way. Good stuff. But Disney has since left behind the idea of raising the intellectual level up and panders to a low goal. Remember Leopold Stokowski conducting the music in the Sorcerers Appentice?

Well I was not alive in 1940, but it was a classic that deserved to be a classic when I was a child in the 1960's. Today we have garbage coming from Disney.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2015 12:56:40

El Kiko

well they re- made Cinderella again .. and again this year 2015 ...with Cate Blanchett i think ...thats typical disney stuff ... ¿no?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2015 13:15:42

BarkellWH

quote:

I remember the old Disney productions too, some were quite edifying in a popular intellectual way. Good stuff. But Disney has since left behind the idea of raising the intellectual level up and panders to a low goal. Remember Leopold Stokowski conducting the music in the Sorcerers Appentice?

Walt Disney Studios depended upon the genius of Walt Disney, and with his guidance they produced first-rate films that have not been surpassed before or since. Since Walt Disney's death, the studio just churns out mediocre crap. You mentioned Stokowski conducting music in the Sorcerer's Apprentice section of Walt Disney's "Fantasia," which came out in 1940. Stokowski conducted the music in all six or seven (I forget) segments of "Fantasia." I thoroughly enjoy watching "Fantasia" today as much as I did when I was a young boy.

Disney's "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" was the first animated, full-length, feature film ever made (1937). Both Disney's wife and brother tried to talk him out of it, thinking it wouldn't go over. Disney disregarded their advice, and it was a huge hit, and rightly so. Disney had a stable of prime concept artists and storyboard artists. They produced amazing work.

And for all the hype about Johnny Depp and the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series of films, nothing yet approaches Disney's film of Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island," which came out in 1950. Bobby Driscoll as Jim Hawkins and Robert Newton as Long John Silver were perfect in their roles. All the hype about "pirate talk" ("aaarrrgh!" and the like) is a result of Robert Newton's role as Long John Silver. I recommend it next time it appears on Turner Classic Movies.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2015 18:24:13

El Kiko

All the hype about "pirate talk" ("aaarrrgh!" and the like) is a result of Robert Newton's roll as Long John Silver

Not really , it comes from the English South west country accent , thats why he adopted it , a lot of the seafaring pirates and sailors and stuff came from down there .. its coast is famous for smuggling in the coves and all that
The famous BlackBeard was from Bristol ..and many others , although i cannot say all of them as that would make it too easy , however enough of them to make it a popular accent in the age of piracy
Also I know Robert Newton was from there as well .. somewhere in Dorset i think , so he would have known the history of his own region , so a fairly easy step to use his own local accent to successfully portray what was mainly truthful anyway ...

I suppose the film version with long john silver would make it appear that nearly all the pirates came from the west country and had to use that accent as oppose to a percentage of them ..so i think your kinda right but it also was kinda true , the film just reinfoced that point ... maybe a bit too much ....

and theres an international ''talk like a pirates day '' of the 19th of September ....sorry i should have put
'''arr there be a international talk like a pirate day, ye scurvy lot'''

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2015 19:48:40

BarkellWH

Aaarrrgh, Mr. Kiko. If ye'd be so kind as to request a mug o' grog from the serving wench fer an old sea dog, I'll tell ye the tale o' how we rounded the 'orn in '94. Three o' me hearties with fingers frozen to the mizzenmast, a chest o' Spanish doubloons below decks, and a Spanish corsair adrift behind, its crew left with the mark of our cutlasses across their bloody throats.

Ay, that's a good wench. One more mug o' grog me pretty. Mr. Kiko there's payin' the bill.

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2015 21:00:53

El Kiko

oh now i got to pay the bill !!! an only a few pieces of 8 left ...but if i turn ye over to the authorities later , i suppose i'll get my money beck .....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2015 21:42:34

estebanana

Aye ye two old dogs, I'll be staying in the Jernigan Suite while you lot swab the decks. But if ya do good 'nough job on me deck boards I might be letting ya help keep warm some of that good holidays rum and the wenches the 'ol captain keeps in the suites.

Well anyway, I need to get me pirate license renewed soon. And hope fully I can see the new Star Wars movie in Jan. I have heard it is quite good and that fans are happy with JJ Abrams directing.

I think old Walt was quite a smart entertainment maker, but most modern Disney work is not up to par. But sometimes you have to just be a kid and believe in a fun story for two hours.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2015 12:54:52

El Kiko

quote:

sometimes you have to just be a kid and believe in a fun story for two hours.

yes, well said ... that applies to most the films i watch anyway ...i know you can go to a lot of websites that will point out all the mistakes a film has to make it unbelievable .. but ,, whats the point ?// you might as well start questioning jokes and punchlines etc ..

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2015 13:10:33

Ricardo

While I totally respect and identify with the dark characters and their reasoning, I have to admit when it comes down to it, yes I would have to be the good guy Jedi. It's not that there is the "goody two shoes" lame thing, but rather, over coming the ease and attractiveness of what the dark side has to offer I find inspiring because it is so much more difficult.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2015 14:11:35

El Kiko

RE: What side are you on??? (in reply to Ricardo

Maybe ....but ..it could be just because .....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2015 15:40:28

hamia

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Kiko

All the hype about "pirate talk" ("aaarrrgh!" and the like) is a result of Robert Newton's roll as Long John Silver

Not really , it comes from the English South west country accent , thats why he adopted it , a lot of the seafaring pirates and sailors and stuff came from down there .. its coast is famous for smuggling in the coves and all that
The famous BlackBeard was from Bristol ..and many others , although i cannot say all of them as that would make it too easy , however enough of them to make it a popular accent in the age of piracy
Also I know Robert Newton was from there as well .. somewhere in Dorset i think , so he would have known the history of his own region , so a fairly easy step to use his own local accent to successfully portray what was mainly truthful anyway ...

I suppose the film version with long john silver would make it appear that nearly all the pirates came from the west country and had to use that accent as oppose to a percentage of them ..so i think your kinda right but it also was kinda true , the film just reinfoced that point ... maybe a bit too much ....

and theres an international ''talk like a pirates day '' of the 19th of September ....sorry i should have put
'''arr there be a international talk like a pirate day, ye scurvy lot'''

Since El Kiko is a Portuguese man living in Ireland he is probably tapping into Google but nonetheless quite correct in his facts. I come from that part of the world and that is how people speak - or certain old-timers at least.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2015 17:21:52
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post