Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: iRig Acoustic (clip-on microphone)   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Sr. Martins

RE: iRig Acoustic (clip-on microphone) (in reply to rombsix

quote:

It is really NOT as crappy as I was expecting it would be based on Sr. Martin's comments.

You've used it for a few minutes, how can you say it's going to last? All I said regarding "being crappy" is about everything else (implementation, hardware) BUT the microphone. Everything except the microphone on that has proven to be a piece of *'s.

The "hiss part" that you're getting is the reason why I said it had poor implementation. You won't get rid of the hiss, it's there by design. Wait for a proper USB version with internal interface (should be called "HD").

Androids aren't made for low latency audio, at least for the time being. Remember that with that gizmo it's your phone that is acting as an interface. The USB version could solve that.

"Ya no me conoce el sol, porque yo duermo de dia"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2015 0:33:32

rombsix

RE: iRig Acoustic (clip-on microphone) (in reply to Sr. Martins

I don't know if it's going to last, but for the price, I can by 5 of these to last as long as another better mic would last. I agree it was hard to get working, but I think it's partly because this was not setup very well to be used with Androids, rather than iPhones or iPads. I wonder how it would work with Apple products...

The hiss is really not a huge issue. The USB mic I have (which is the best USB mic on the market now, methinks) when used for live monitoring has just the same amount of hiss. I think that for recording, the USB mic will probably sound better (we'll see), but for the purpose of what I want this gizmo for, it works pretty well: not for recording, but rather for using it as a live effects tool with minimal latency and being able to plug it into an output source (like powered speakers or an amp) and hearing it that way. I don't know of a USB-based device for this price range available now that can do this meet this particular need. If you know of one, please let me know!

I'll get back to you with a recording, and we'll see how that is...

And I'm not arguing with you - to each his own. I think this tool serves a reasonable purpose for me at this time. If you have a similar device (not home-made) that you can direct me to (USB-based, and can do the same stuff as this thing), then by all means do tell.

Cheers!

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2015 1:11:48

Sr. Martins

quote:

And I'm not arguing with you - to each his own. I think this tool serves a reasonable purpose for me at this time. If you have a similar device (not home-made) that you can direct me to (USB-based, and can do the same stuff as this thing), then by all means do tell.

Your USB mic, computer, properly installed/adjusted drivers and a DAW or similar.

The only difference would be much lower latency, better sound, better effects and more flexibility.

There's nothing they can do about that thing being used on Androids, as I've said, it relies on the host's audio capabilities and Androids aren't good in that department.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2015 1:35:55

rombsix

quote:

Your USB mic, computer, properly installed/adjusted drivers and a DAW or similar.

I have the USB mic and computer (Windows PC). Tell me more about the drivers. I just re-installed Asio4All few days ago. I have Adobe Audition 3.0 for a DAW.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2015 3:11:25

rombsix

quote:

I'll get back to you with a recording, and we'll see how that is...

Raw file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cbllsv2bd6o5doz/Raw-recording-via-iRig-Acoustic.wav?dl=0

Edited file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lve24klg5fgiu9k/Edited-recording-via-iRig-Acoustic.wav?dl=0

I know, I know... It's a really short clip. I'll make something more elaborate ASAP.

It doesn't sound entirely crappy, in my mind. The hiss actually is much more apparent through live monitoring, but I think it's not that bad in getting picked up while recording. I think that hiss is more my room, because I hear a similar one when I monitor my USB mic.

Cheers!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2015 5:00:29

Leñador

Doesn't sound half bad to me either.....

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2015 5:11:52

rombsix

RE: iRig Acoustic (clip-on microphone) (in reply to Leñador

Some flamenco recordings...

Raw USB mic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gcyjsqhn6bhue4j/raw-USB-mic.wav?dl=0

Edited USB mic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2581h44iyvkp282/Edited-USB-mic.wav?dl=0

Raw Clip-on mic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8q9733r29u81yhq/Raw-Clip-on-mic.wav?dl=0

Edited Clip-on mic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lb9w8jqtq9qh2z/Edited-Clip-on-mic.wav?dl=0

Cheers!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2015 14:34:34

Sr. Martins

What is the mic? Doesn't it have is own ASIO driver?

Use REAPER instead of adobe. Load some VST's one one track and have fun in real time.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2015 0:39:47

rombsix

quote:

What is the mic? Doesn't it have is own ASIO driver?

Use REAPER instead of adobe. Load some VST's one one track and have fun in real time.

This is my USB microphone: http://www.mxlmics.com/microphones/usb/009/

I don't know if it has its own ASIO driver. I think not?

I'll look into REAPER and VST's.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2015 5:05:51

Sr. Martins

Seems like it doesn't.

Use ASIO, set a low buffer, turn of all direct signal from the mic. Don't forget to choose ASIO inside reaper.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2015 13:49:48

rombsix

quote:

Use ASIO, set a low buffer, turn of all direct signal from the mic. Don't forget to choose ASIO inside reaper.

I'll give it a go... is there a free version of REAPER to try before I buy?

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2015 18:31:18

Sr. Martins

There's only one version. If you want to pay for it, you can do that.

Install the 32bit version along with some 32bit VST plugins or just try the ones already included (no shiny GUI's though).

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2015 19:06:31

rombsix

quote:

Install the 32bit version along with some 32bit VST plugins or just try the ones already included (no shiny GUI's though).

Even though I have a 64-bit Windows 7, still I should go with the 32-bit version of REAPER?

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2015 21:28:40

Sr. Martins

Yes

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2015 1:21:17

rombsix

OK.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2015 1:27:45

rombsix

I got REAPER and loaded a ReaVerb plugin to one track with input monitoring. I used the ASIO4ALL v2 driver and set ASIO in REAPER. I used the lowest possible buffer size. I monitored directly from my USB microphone (it has a headphone jack). There was still a huge amount of latency that was making "real-time reverb" practically unusable. I read about this issue here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=32095 - it looks like this is not something solvable with my computer hardware (built-in sound card)

Here's a screen shot.

So far iRig Acoustic through my Galaxy S6 has been much better in terms of latency with real-time effects (reverb, delay, etc.). This was the main reason I got this gizmo.

Any suggestions?

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2015 8:21:51

Sr. Martins

You can't expect miracles from an audio interface that's built inside a condenser microphone. It is ok for recording the mic but not proper for this kind of stuff.

If this was your objective, you should've bought the right stuff from the beginning: a mic and an interface.

I deal with 3ms of latency, that's unnoticeable. On your samsung I bet you're hearing doubled note attacks, probably with 20ms of latency or more.

Anyways, I ain't selling anything. If you're happy with the clip thing, maybe one day you'll understand what you've been missing all along by not buying the right stuff for what you want to do.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2015 12:37:10

rombsix

quote:

Anyways, I ain't selling anything. If you're happy with the clip thing, maybe one day you'll understand what you've been missing all along by not buying the right stuff for what you want to do.

It sounds like you are much more advanced than I am when it comes to audio. I am just playing around for the most part, and I wanted something super simple and affordable that might still do the job, especially three years ago when I bought the gear. Now, I can invest in some higher quality equipment if I want to, and that will iron things out, but I don't really have the use for that sort of setup because I won't be using it enough to justify the cost, and I don't think I'll want to be bothered to take stuff apart, put it together, occupy space with it, etc. for my practical purposes.

I appreciate your input. It was worth a shot...

Cheers!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2015 14:54:59

Dudnote

Interesting stuff.

Ramzi, is that clip on obliged to go through an Android, or could I plug it strait into a multitrack recorder such as the Zoom R8 (Lots of jack sockets in the back)?

Ay compañerita de mi alma
tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2015 17:45:32

Sr. Martins

quote:

It sounds like you are much more advanced than I am when it comes to audio. I am just playing around for the most part, and I wanted something super simple and affordable that might still do the job, especially three years ago when I bought the gear. Now, I can invest in some higher quality equipment if I want to, and that will iron things out, but I don't really have the use for that sort of setup because I won't be using it enough to justify the cost, and I don't think I'll want to be bothered to take stuff apart, put it together, occupy space with it, etc. for my practical purposes.

You got it wrong way. You've been spending "here and there" with not so great results because you didn't get the right equipment.

All you really need is a microphone and a small USB interface with phantom power. You can even buy it in a bundle with cables and headphones included, software, etc. With this you can even connect your guitars directly with a cable.

What you can do with computer software is miles beyond the samsung + irig clip that you have now.. and without latency or extra stuff to buy (unless you want to).

That last video I posted for a guitar contest was all done with freeware... guitar amps, mixing effects, synths, etc.

Right now you've got a very crippled setup, neither the USB mic or the clip on thing are worth it for what you want.

Lenny was also a bit like you but this week he decided to follow my advice and got himself an interface for 50 bucks. He's just scratching the surface but already getting a great sound.. just wait until he plugs his electric guitar and starts using some amp sims.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2015 19:38:56

Sr. Martins

RE: iRig Acoustic (clip-on microphone) (in reply to Dudnote

quote:

Ramzi, is that clip on obliged to go through an Android, or could I plug it strait into a multitrack recorder such as the Zoom R8 (Lots of jack sockets in the back)?

No, it won't work.

It is designed to work with apple's stuff, a 3 way jack. Don't bother using it on androids.

...and don't bother trying to adapt this to other equipment, just get a proper microphone and avoid headaches.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2015 19:42:00

Dudnote

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sr. Martins

quote:

No, it won't work.

It is designed to work with apple's stuff, a 3 way jack. Don't bother using it on androids.

...and don't bother trying to adapt this to other equipment, just get a proper microphone and avoid headaches.

Too bad. If something like this could work I could record after 6pm without a background chorus of whistling tropical frogs.

tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2015 4:16:29

Dudnote

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dudnote
Too bad. If something like this could work I could record after 6pm without a background chorus of whistling tropical frogs.

i.e. not sure a condensor mic will give the best results given my neighbour's habit of whistling 12 hours out of 24. Apart from napalming all the gardens on our street what might I try? Would a bog standard dynamic mic cut them out? Was thinking of getting a classic shure so my lady can let rip on karioke.

Edit: just saw on the Shure website they claim the SM57 does a good job of cutting background noise (although they don't specifically mention singing frogs).

tú ahora no me conoces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2015 4:24:04

Sr. Martins

My recommendation would be better windows.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2015 11:32:33

Ruphus

Windows are good, an additional outer wall of granit with a sealed air gap between it and the original walls making it better. And don´t forget the roof.

Insulation really is a beast.

You could try out a stick-on piezo like this.

Users report them as sounding good, which could mean that they are not too bad.
Naturally you can´have witth them what needs unfolding in the air / room first, but tweaking around a bit could yield as better option than building your house new.

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2015 12:16:55

Blondie#2

RE: iRig Acoustic (clip-on microphone) (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus
You could try out a stick-on piezo like this.

I have one of those, used it at a gig recently - nice sound for a pick up. Its not piezo based, its like a contact mini condenser mic, my model takes phantom power. It sounds much better than piezo pickups IMO, its not quacky and has plenty of warmth (needs EQing of course, contact pickups are always a bit woofy).

Ramzi has one also.

Not really meant for recording though...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2015 13:13:39

Ruphus

I stand corrected. It´s a condensor.

Keep in mind that the man seeks for a frog cancelling solution.

Though I have seen no comments that would equal this method with common miking (no wonder) it seems important to experiment a lot with positioning such a thing on the instrument. Just mms away from the individually best spot matter already.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2015 13:55:06

Sr. Martins

Another sollution would be to record the noise profile (the frogs) and then subtract them to taste.

Reaper comes with ReaFir, it's an EQ that is able to do this.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2015 13:59:53

Ruphus

NR-filters won´t fetch diverse occuring and all kinds of FQ range covering noise.
And even if they could, what would remain of the aimed source would be unusable.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2015 14:10:01

Sr. Martins

RE: iRig Acoustic (clip-on microphone) (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

NR-filters won´t fetch diverse occuring and all kinds of FQ range covering noise.
And even if they could, what would remain of the aimed source would be unusable.

Ruphus

ReaFir works well. My advice is in order to reduce some of the noise for his casual recordings, not to make him build a studio.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2015 18:09:24
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote