Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

iRig Acoustic (clip-on microphone)   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

rombsix

iRig Acoustic (clip-on microphone) 

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigacoustic/

"Inspired by a must see documentary on flamenco guitar master Paco de Lucia, iRig Acoustic is the first acoustic guitar mobile microphone/interface for acoustic players. With iRig Acoustic and the AmpliTube Acoustic app, players now have a complete professional sounding mobile system for playing live and recording designed specifically for acoustic guitars on the go."

This sells for $49, so I figured I would try one out just to see what all the hype is about. I'll keep y'all posted.

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 15 2015 18:49:28

Sr. Martins

RE: iRig Acoustic (clip-on microphone) (in reply to rombsix

Yep, all hype and marketing.

I wouldn't bother with that, it's nothing new.

(terribly overpriced too)

"Ya no me conoce el sol, porque yo duermo de dia"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 15 2015 19:12:01

Lorenzo714

Ramzi,

My friend I am very interested in your "REVIEW" of this product. It looks very promising to me....I for one have tried so many different things that never actually worked very well....maybe this actually sounds decent - I hope

Show us something cool from the great Rumbero

PS - Do you still have my Sanchis?

Lorenzo

Lorenzo Bonc
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp9GaFPV-Ax4mR-ZoGzYmyg
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2015 2:14:57

Leñador

quote:

Yep, all hype and marketing.

I wouldn't bother with that, it's nothing new.

(terribly overpriced too)

What are some comparable products that are cheaper?

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2015 2:54:48

Sr. Martins

RE: iRig Acoustic (clip-on microphone) (in reply to Leñador

quote:

What are some comparable products that are cheaper?

DIY if you're handy.

Just get a similar transducer element (or find a better one), solder a few wires to it and download the app.

As far as commercial products on the market, I don't know.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2015 3:36:16

Escribano

I belive that this is a small mic. and an A/D circuit that outputs a digital signal i.e. it is sampling. It may well have an analogue output as well, but I suspect it is essentially a digital device for modelling purposes, via an app. iRig get pretty good reviews for their electric guitar version, but that is an altogether different scenario.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2015 8:07:09

Sr. Martins

RE: iRig Acoustic (clip-on microphone) (in reply to Escribano

quote:

an A/D circuit that outputs a digital signal i.e. it is sampling.

It's just wires, that's why there are other models and brands which are much more expensive. Those popular irig's (the "just wires" kind) are cheap chinese stuff that you can get for less than 5€.

Basically, everything that connects through the headphone jack will be crappy and subject to interference. If you need stuff like this, get something that is USB and has inbuilt AD/DA.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2015 12:21:31

Escribano

RE: iRig Acoustic (clip-on microphone) (in reply to Sr. Martins

I see they have several models, that explains it.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2015 12:49:59

Sr. Martins

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004409/1336701-fashionable-guitar-converter-adapter-link-for

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2015 12:58:05

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sr. Martins

Basically, everything that connects through the headphone jack will be crappy and subject to interference.

Agreed to a degree about RF on many applications, but "everything ... crappy?"
Admittedly, I havn´t much used my one and only device over micro TRS for reasons of noise floor, but can you tell me what is so crappy with the included recording?

- Right, it´s no clip-on made guitar track, but I assume you mean mirco TRS mic applications in general.

http://www.filedropper.com/okmtiger

On a side-note, if sitting in the right trinagle to your speakers or using headphones, note the spatiality.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2015 14:06:27

Sr. Martins

RE: iRig Acoustic (clip-on microphone) (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

for reasons of noise floor

That is precisely the main problem. The passive design of the simpler irig lends to impedance and crosstalk problems.

It might have been improved or not make much difference on this clip on version but anyways... 50 bucks? I can get a condenser microphone with integrated USB interface for less.

Unless you really need a clip-on for some reason, I wouldn't really bother with that.. or at least wait for version 2.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2015 16:05:04

Ruphus

Listened to the tiger?

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2015 21:53:05

Sr. Martins

Just listened to the tiger, what is that? Sounds bad man.. it's stereo but too "artifacty" and under heavy low pass filtering.. sounds like it barely reaches around 7KHz.

The problem with cheap iRig stuff is...that it really is cheaply made and poorly designed. After a while they come with proper versions (2 or HD) that cost way more.

Either way, I hope this is better than the standard iRig because that was a cool idea but a piece of junk. You can see why you can get it for less than 5 bucks from China.. it has nothing inside lol

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2015 22:33:04

Leñador

The YouTube clip at the top sounds great to me. You think it wasn't actually recorded with the device?

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2015 22:53:56

Sr. Martins

quote:

The YouTube clip at the top sounds great to me. You think it wasn't actually recorded with the device?

I am not even questioning that. I have no use for a clip on with a software that "emulates" a guitar body.. I am all for "condenser mic away from the guitar".

The thing is that I looked at that gizmo when they sent me the email and I saw the same kind of hardware that they used on the cheap iRig. People kept complaining that with use the wires would crap out and introduce even more noise to the point that it just stopped working. Might not be that bad since the iRig was supposed to be used with software that emulated saturated amps.

Once again, a USB condenser microphone (it has an inbuilt soundcard, this clip-on doesn't) can be had for less than 50€ and I doubt that you'll get a better result with that clip on thing.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2015 23:24:35

Leñador

quote:

I am not even questioning that.

I know, IM questioning it. Lol I'm asking cus you would know better than me. Is it the app making it sound nice or you think it's not even what they used to record it?

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 16 2015 23:46:07

Sr. Martins

quote:

I know, IM questioning it. Lol I'm asking cus you would know better than me. Is it the app making it sound nice or you think it's not even what they used to record it?

It would be unfair to say anything in that regard but I can tell you that FX beyond a little reverb/delay on classical/flamenco guitars are just a thing for you to play a little and be done with it.

A good sounding guitar and mic away from the guitar is what really captures it. By micing a guitar right there at the hole you'll be missing out the good stuff and your ear will notice.

It's ok for steel string guitars, they are used to a "different treatment".

Just get a USB condenser mic (for simplicity) and add the FX inside garageband or whatever you're using. Buy that thing to fool around if you want.

If you have no need for a soundhole clip on, get the good thing... a microphone.

edit: I don't think it sounds nice, just clean... but yes, the app isn't doing anything that can't be done with other apps/software.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2015 0:08:08

Sr. Martins

Not to mention the fact that the soundhole would be the last place I would want a microphone when recording guitar tracks.

Which means that you'll probably have to use those FX from the app to EQ and achieve a satisfying sound.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2015 0:16:30

Leñador

Gotcha, what set up would you recommend in that price range?

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2015 4:18:31

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sr. Martins

Just listened to the tiger, what is that? Sounds bad man.. it's stereo but too "artifacty" and under heavy low pass filtering.. sounds like it barely reaches around 7KHz.

The problem with cheap iRig stuff is...that it really is cheaply made and poorly designed. After a while they come with proper versions (2 or HD) that cost way more.

Either way, I hope this is better than the standard iRig because that was a cool idea but a piece of junk. You can see why you can get it for less than 5 bucks from China.. it has nothing inside lol

The HF seems to have been taken down to reduce said noise. Not filtered out with a steep curve though, as the content is still in there. Don´t know why they went this way, for noise filters can work well if there´s only enough quiet sequence to feed as pattern.

This has been an in-ear system (sound head principle on a real head) and provided the right auditioning condition, very spatial. Taking things for what they are, I think it remarkable what such small gadget can do.
In fact now having been reminded of it and having it here, I am technically curious to try it out at next opportunity when anyone playing guitar in front of me. Clearly, it won´t come close to the quality through my expensive mics, but I am interested to see how much spatiality can be had between the two hands of a player, and how the noise floor can be dealt with.

You are right about most natural capturing through distant microphones, however dismissing some points of application in the same time.
I don´t think anyone would consider miking up a guitar through a miniature microphone for best quality / studio situation.

Things like clip-on or piezos are meant for live situations and the question is how compromises are in comparison to feedback and limitations of movement with fixed microphones. As well as how sound advantage of fixed microphones retains through a given PA and room.

From what I can see, the overall gist depends from the individual situation.

Further, I don´t know why you emphasize condenser technology. Dynamic mics can work just as well, and are preferrably used on stage for a reason. Their cheaper being doesn´t mean that they are inferiour.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2015 11:17:50

Sr. Martins

quote:

Further, I don´t know why you emphasize condenser technology. Dynamic mics can work just as well, and are preferrably used on stage for a reason. Their cheaper being doesn´t mean that they are inferiour.

You won't be hearing me dissing stuff because of their lower price, that's for sure.

Dynamic mics are a compromise and there's a reason why they sometimes have to be used live.. not exactly for sounding better than condensers, more because of their "hardness" and rejection capabilities. Condensers are usually wider and more detailled.

I prefer condensers and I doubt that people here are considering the irig gizmo to play gigs. I suggested USB condensers exactly for recording at home, not to bring to a stage and hook it up to a computer.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2015 12:32:58

Ruphus

I see now the application you are referring to. For recording no use of clip-on.

Beware however with the assumptions on mic tech condensor / dynamic mics. When suit they are being preferred over condensors where folks have access to finest gear. Sometimes even for vocals.
And in the low budget range you can count with better sound from humble dynamics than from cheap condensors. Specially in digital times, where overcoming brittle highs is common aim.

I for certain, had I only known / not followed the amateur and sales clerk´s blurb back then, should had skipped on buying miserable condensors initially aquired and settled on plain SM57s into good preamps (D.A.V. for very good quality on small budget. Beats by far anything even just close in price).
Today there are smooth condensors availble in prosumer range, but you need to know which, no matter SD or LD. Unless sure about it, just stick to good old and fairly inexpensive SM57 /58, and you´re good to go.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 17 2015 13:48:44

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

I see now the application you are referring to. For recording no use of clip-on.

Beware however with the assumptions on mic tech condensor / dynamic mics. When suit they are being preferred over condensors where folks have access to finest gear. Sometimes even for vocals.
And in the low budget range you can count with better sound from humble dynamics than from cheap condensors. Specially in digital times, where overcoming brittle highs is common aim.

I for certain, had I only known / not followed the amateur and sales clerk´s blurb back then, should had skipped on buying miserable condensors initially aquired and settled on plain SM57s into good preamps (D.A.V. for very good quality on small budget. Beats by far anything even just close in price).
Today there are smooth condensors availble in prosumer range, but you need to know which, no matter SD or LD. Unless sure about it, just stick to good old and fairly inexpensive SM57 /58, and you´re good to go.

Ruphus

For many years already, I have found the most versatile mic to be the sure Beta 87A. For live sound we first notice, if you know how to use it interms of your proximity, for vocals it is simply unmatched. Trying out on guitar it's surprising....my first thought after so many different mic types and situations was "dang, THAT is the sound I have been looking for!!!". Again, if you know how to deal with it on stage the thing never feeds back no matter how hot we make it or where we have monitors placed, and the sound is crystal clear like reccordings. Works just fine in recording studio as well.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2015 19:21:38

Ruphus

Good to see that you liked it.

Personally, not fond of sizzle I have bypassed condensors from Shure or AKG.
A good alrounder condensor for small cash is the AT 4050.

And for outstandingly smooth and lush on low budget there used to be KEL. But as I just found out the company ceased to be last year. :O(
Lucky are those who bought their mics already.

Too bad that they took down their website as well. Sound samples and mixes presented there were outstanding examples for what well designed mics can do despite cheap parts.

Weird how mediocre stuff keeps being in demand while gems and bargains can go downhill. Bloody marketing.

Ruphus

PS:
Kel still builds microphones, however only upper range now called "Vertical" with parts like the Thiersch STW7 capsule, yet for under 2 grands.
Sound examples available here: https://soundcloud.com/vertical-microphones

Still smooth and alll in there.
Check out "Female Vocals and Acoustic Guitar (Vertical Voice)" for instance.

So lovely; Makes feeling GAS again.
How longing for some studio work. Where the hell did I only end up instead.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2015 4:52:07

rombsix

Hey friends - I received this product today, and either I'm completely stupid, or the unit I got was a dud because it was completely defective right out of the box. I tried doing everything I could (phone, iPod, multiple computers), and nothing worked. I think the microphone is just dead for some reason.

I mean, you know more than I do - is this (based on the description of it having a TRRS connector) a special kind of microphone where if you plug it into the normal 3.5 mm microphone jack of a Windows PC and try to listen to the device or record through it then NOTHING will happen?

How does it make sense for this to be connected to a smartphone? Smartphones have just one jack to connect into, and it shows the "headphones" icon next to it. This iRig Acoustic is a microphone, so how does it make sense to connect a microphone into a headphones connector of a smartphone? Isn't the jack of the phone only an output? Or is that the whole secret of TRRS, meaning it is both input AND output at the same time (which is how this iRig Acoustic works)?

In any case - I contacted customer support to see what the story is...

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2015 1:37:45

Leñador

For iPhone it's not just output. The headphones that come with the iPhone have a microphone on them so you can take calls while listening to music.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2015 2:09:14

rombsix

I'm thinking more and more that there's something wrong with the particular unit that I got... I tried the headphones (also TRRS) for my Samsung Galaxy S6 and they worked as a microphone when plugged into the 3.5 mm mic jack of my PC. The app I downloaded which is advertised for Android with this iRig Acoustic does not seem to be working well. I think this device is meant for Apple products, and all I have is a second generation iPod Touch (for Doctor Compas) which is not supported (too old of a device) with the apps suggested on the IK website.

In the process of trying to figure all of this out, I realized that I can use AmpliTube 4.0, the Asio4All driver, and my USB MXL .009 microphone (which has an output jack for zero latency monitoring and therefore shows up as "speakers" also on my PC) to get some awesome live reverb effects (or whatever other effects I can get through AmpliTube) being listened to via plugging my headphones directly into the MXL .009 USB microphone. Like Sr. Martins was saying, it looks like the USB mic has a pretty decent "audio interface" within, and it far surpasses the "direct sound" built-in sound card that my PC has. It's not a totally sucky setup. I was hoping to get some neat results with the iRig Acoustic, but it looks like the most important one was available to me all along through my USB mic.

Still, I want to try to replace the iRig Acoustic to see if indeed my unit was dead, or if I just didn't figure out how to use it.

Either I need an iPad, or the marketing of this product makes it appear MUCH easier to use than it actually is.

Hopefully some updates later...

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2015 5:09:28

Sr. Martins

quote:

The headphones that come with the iPhone have a microphone on them so you can take calls while listening to music.

Your software must be bugged. Mine stops the music when I take calls.. it kinda helps the dialogue

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2015 23:26:23

Leñador

quote:

Your software must be bugged. Mine stops the music when I take calls.. it kinda helps the dialogue

Ah weak! Nothin better interrupt my head bangin!! Lol

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2015 23:28:11

rombsix

OK - so I got this to work. Yay! It worked by connecting it through my Galaxy S6. There was one stupid / tricky step which I was not doing that finally got it to work. For some weird reason, you don't hear the output of the mic unless you change the active display on the phone from the actual Amplitube app to the Samsung Professional Audio (SPA) screen. It's like if you're watching a YouTube video then you change to looking at your messages, you would expect the YouTube sound to keep playing in the background even though you're now looking at text messages, but for my case I actually lose the YouTube sound. I figured this might be the same issue, and indeed it was! So it's tedious because you have to set the effects through the Amplitube app then you have to go to the SPA screen to hear the actual output, so you can't really fiddle around with the effects directly (due to having to switch back and forth between the two screens). The demo videos did NOT show that to be needed, so I'm guessing either this gizmo is still not working well with Android, or my iRig or Galaxy S6 is screwed up.

The other thing is that there is a MINOR delay in the live sound so if you do a golpe on the wood with the strings muted, you will hear a TINY gap between the sound of the golpe on the actual sound board, and the sound of the golpe through the headphones. It is really NOT a huge issue - totally manageable - but it is not as "perfect" as I hoped it would be (i.e. it's NOT zero latency). SPA allows you to decrease the latency, but that requires more "CPU" usage, and I think my phone crashes because the sound becomes super distorted and unusable if I change to the low-latency (high CPU usage) setting (instead of the "moderate latency (Recommended)" setting). And actually, the low-latency setting doesn't really seem to help with the latency, but rather it sort of makes it worse (along with the distorted sound). But hey - if you're looking for a delay + distortion metal effect, then you're set!

But seriously - regarding the QUALITY of the audio and the live effects: I was really impressed. It doesn't sound as good as it does in the demo videos on YouTube, but for the purpose of a $49 gizmo used via a phone app, I think it is super awesome actually. I set a delay effect and reviewed Ewan Dobson's "Time 2" piece that I've covered in the past (tough to play by the way! I'm impressed I played it cleanly in the past!), and it really sounded awesome! I also used just regular reverb through an amp effect, and I played some granaina / taranta, and it sounded really good, seriously! It perhaps sounded just as good or even better than my $350 MXL USB .009 microphone actually! It was just a bit more "dirty" sounding (i.e. some mild hiss, perhaps from my room with the PC fan going or the A/C fan going), but that was sort of remediable through fiddling around with the input volume and output volume. I didn't play with it enough to get the optimal setting for best sound and least noise, but I am still pretty amazed with this thing. It is really NOT as crappy as I was expecting it would be based on Sr. Martin's comments. I got in contact with the customer support people and they replied within 8 hours via email and they are the ones that helped me figure out how to get it to work. I am going to contact them about potentially optimizing the results I've achieved so far, then I'll look into an app to record something and I'll post it here so you can check it out...

Olé!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2015 23:58:39
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message