Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

building Miguel Rodriguez style tutorial   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Tom Blackshear

building Miguel Rodriguez style tutorial 

The tutorial will start in a week to 10 days for the Miguel Rodriguez guitar It will be a bench copy, as close to the original 1977 Church Door model as I can make it.

There will always be room for questions and answers during the process.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2015 15:46:25

tri7/5

RE: building Miguel Rodriguez style ... (in reply to Tom Blackshear

Is this to be a flamenco or classical build? I thought all the churchdoors were classicals but could be wrong.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2015 17:54:10

Tom Blackshear

RE: building Miguel Rodriguez style ... (in reply to tri7/5

It will be a classical build with some clarity concerning a flamenco action and articulation adjustment, which actually makes a good top tension for a flamenco player, if desired.

I find that the treble end adjustment is also good for classical mode. It makes for a faster articulation, earthy, yet a higher frequency in its tone.

This adjust also can put the bass with a little deeper but not boomy mode.

1999 Lucio y Tomas (U.S.A.) 650 mm scale, 51 mm nut, cedar top, Indian rosewood sides and back, considerable playing wear which is quite visible, later clear golpeador which neatly covers most of the top wear, and recent frets installed by the Brune workshop. The original french polish is still present, but has been entirely padded over to revive the dull areas, and with ongoing usage there is now some dulling of the areas previously padded over. These are cosmetic issues having no affect on the sound whatsoever. During this brief period Tom Blackshear of San Antonio Texas built perhaps a dozen guitars jointly with Mexican luthier Lucio Nuñez Nava in Tom’s San Antonio shop using Tom’s woods, tools, designs and finishes, including his fine tuning procedures. To Tom’s credit these were labeled as “Lucio y Tomas” guitars instead of “Tom Blackshear” guitars, even though they really don’t show the hand of Lucio Nuñez at all. This instrument is made on Tom’s famous Miguel Rodriguez pattern, a model which Tom knows intimately, and builds with equally spectacular results as the very pricy originals. It is accurate to the original Rodriguez model both internally and externally. Like the original Rodriguez guitars, this is a loud, open, throaty instrument which could easily pass as a concert flamenco guitar with body and sustain. Purely Spanish in concept, it responds immediately with an explosion of color and sound, and for those not put off by playing wear, this is a great instrument for a reasonable price. $6,000

http://www.rebrune.com/lucio-y-tomas

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2015 19:14:20

Tom Blackshear

Here is the first installment of the top and neck in the process.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 21 2015 12:13:56

FERREREZAKI

Really nice Tom!

Your guitars seems first-rate.
Will be great fun to follow this tutorial.
Looking forward for more. Thanks a lot for sharing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2015 19:16:14

Tom Blackshear

RE: building Miguel Rodriguez style ... (in reply to FERREREZAKI

I'm building the Miguel Rodriguez motif only in my retirement and sharing some of what I know about his style and genius.

The dynasty was active through several generations and I feel that it would be nice to keep his tradition going.

This tutorial might be a little slow as I'm busy doing other things, but I feel strong enough to continue the tradition of one of the great master builders of all time.

Miguel's legacy should be kept alive, not only in his principle work but in ongoing builds from craftsmen around the world who are compelled to replicate his work.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 1 2015 19:57:46

Tom Blackshear

OK, I'll try and load a video this afternoon of the top in progress with the lining finished and the top ready to glue to the sides.

There will be a slight explanation about how the top will be set in place for the actual gluing.

I'll show how it is flat in some places with a slight curve built into the lining behind the bridge area.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 8 2015 15:41:56

Tom Blackshear

The geometric rosette and tie block design at the front is another Rodriguez style I use.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 8 2015 21:25:46

Anders Eliasson

Hi Tom
Did you see some of the posts from this site, when it was a free online course where they built a "Miguel Rodriguez style" guitar:
http://online-apprentice.com/

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2015 7:31:33

Tom Blackshear

RE: building Miguel Rodriguez style ... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Yes I'm aware of the site but it is now a cost of about 40 dollars to join the build. Mine is free of charge for what I'm showing here on the foro list.

It is a good investment for those who would like to build a Miguel Rodriguez style. However, I'm covering certain things about tonal production with this tutorial that David's traditional build does not cover.

This was how it was from the beginning. He would teach the build and I would teach the fine tuning, since I didn't have the time to teach guitar building.

So David used my plan to teach building the guitar, which is actually a 1977 Miguel Rodriguez "Church Door" that was owned by a friend of mine in San Antonio for many years.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2015 11:35:59

Anders Eliasson

I did follow the online course, (without building), but it was progressing very slowly, so I forgot about it and as you say, now its payware, so I havent seen the finished guitar.

I remember the first online course, which I also followed (without building) and I consider it to be one of the best materials out there to learn how to build in the traditional Spanish way and a must have for beginners. The way I build and the way most Spanish builders do, is very close to that online course. Its a classical guitar, but flamencos are built the same way.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2015 16:08:29

Tom Blackshear

RE: building Miguel Rodriguez style ... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

The contribution to guitar building that I tried to make was to donate two plans to the Guild of American Luthiers.

These two plans were the 1977 Miguel Rodriguez classical and the Manuel Reyes 2003 Flamenco design.

I've done some teaching on how to fine tune these two models with the hope that it would raise the level of the art for all guitar makers.

I have no problem with the way other makers utilize their guitar making skills, to formulate the tonal quality they are looking for, but to say it is a good thing that we all share what we do for the sake of the art.

After many years practicing this art I have come to the conclusion that there is still more to learn, as it is clear to me that we never reach the end of all knowledge. Tonal production can be an enigma but it is a wise thing to share what we know to raise the level of the art.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2015 15:49:36

estebanana

Hi Tom,

I had a difficultly with this style the one time I ventured to build it. I want to try to again, I think now I have a better hand in general. I'll look at your tutorial.

The issue with the Rodriguez I built several years ago was that overall the guitar was really nice, but the high E string had a lingering A and E harmonic that carried in to long after the E string was stopped. It was workable but not ideal.

Any idea why that might have happened? Or should I just try again and chalk that one up to just not having as much experience at that time in general?

I suspect it had to with the diagonal bar and the stiffness that gives the fans on the treble side. It seem if you are not careful you could build this one with a noticeably stiffer treble side and that could make things wacky.

And the Rodriguez bridge? On the original guitars would you characterize them as light or heavy or stiff or flexible? Which combinations of qualities did the bridges have? To me this is very important knowing that the top has potential to be very stiff.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2015 0:20:33

Tom Blackshear

RE: building Miguel Rodriguez style ... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

The issue with the Rodriguez I built several years ago was that overall the guitar was really nice, but the high E string had a lingering A and E harmonic that carried in to long after the E string was stopped. It was workable but not ideal. Any idea why that might have happened? Or should I just try again and chalk that one up to just not having as much experience at that time in general?

Stephen,

Pepe Romero used to have an issue with the C note being softer but he played around it because he loved the tonal character of his beloved Miguel Rodriguez.

I have found a way, through my fine tuning techniques, to erase most of the uneven traits the guitar had; to a more even sound, but the technique I use is rather complicated to explain over the Internet. This is the reason I give fine tuning classes for this model.

But if you build to the plan, then I believe you will have a good guitar, even though fine tuning may be required after it is constructed and finished.

So, you can build one and then e-mail me if you have any questions from that point.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2015 14:25:20

Tom Blackshear

Here is the latest on top and bridge building........

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 14 2015 19:06:35

Tom Blackshear

Here is a plate joiner I just bought from Luthiers Mercantile International and the only problem I had with it was trying to find where the rope started before wrapping it around to tighten the plate for gluing. Otherwise it works well.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2015 18:31:00

constructordeguitarras

LMI plate joiner (in reply to Tom Blackshear

I've had one for several years. The only thing I didn't like was the splintery plywood wedges. I made some nice smooth ones from white oak and now I'm happy.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2015 19:11:01

Tom Blackshear

RE: LMI plate joiner (in reply to constructordeguitarras

Well, what I have learned about this is that there has been an improvement with the new unit and the plywood seems to be smooth.

I don't know exactly what the older unit was like but this new one works well.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2015 14:00:04

estebanana

Tom,

I decided to make one. I think I figured out why the last one had a lot of 'e' string sustain. I opted for a beefy 7 fans and sturdy contra puente. The back & sides will be blonde.

Let's see what happens.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2015 12:44:46

Ruphus

So nice, they way you guys carve out struts from underneath, so that they match over their mates like organic. Precision work!

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2015 13:35:14

Tom Blackshear

Stephen, sounds like a good plan but you may want to get the top tone right at about F-F# or maybe a little higher, otherwise the top may be stiffer than you want.

Mark Usherovich has tried this with shorter struts in between the normally placed bracing and his guitar turned out well. He fine tuned it in my shop and his customers were very pleased with the outcome. He got very good reviews from Bruce and Adam Holzman.

Let me know how it comes out.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2015 14:16:54

estebanana

Tom,

I'm following along, so here are some photos of my progress. I was amused to see your plate joining fixture. I have one too, but it is from EstebanLuthier Supply, and my knot tying is not fancy.

My 'Roddie' is made from Hinoki my new favorite wood. The back will have a rosewood splice down the middle because I like that look. ( also adds some long grain stiffness)

I'll see if I can keep up with you.

Attachment (2)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 10:59:28

jshelton5040

Not being critical but I don't understand why a craftsman of your abilities would buy something like this plate joining gadget.

I think I could knock this thing out in about 15 minutes with my table saw. It seems like a very cumbersome and time consuming way to join plates.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 14:13:51

Stephen Eden

I was thinking the same thing John. It takes me a few minutes max to set up my jointing board.

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 15:11:43

Tom Blackshear

RE: building Miguel Rodriguez style ... (in reply to Stephen Eden

It may sound crazy but I'm no jig maker and I'd rather spend 140+ dollars to have something already built for me

I used a handmade plate joiner for years but I like this one better.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 15:15:47

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Blackshear

It may sound crazy but I'm no jig maker and I'd rather spend 140+ dollars to have something already built for me

I used a handmade plate joiner for years but I like this one better.

Next time I glue up a back or top I'll put up a photo of my method. It takes more time to apply the glue than it does to join the plates. No jig needed, just a couple of straight boards, weights and a hammer.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 16:16:27

estebanana

I just ripped some long wedges and screwed three 2x2's on a hunk of plywood, and off to the races. Picked up some cotton rope.....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2015 23:38:32

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

I just ripped some long wedges and screwed three 2x2's on a hunk of plywood, and off to the races. Picked up some cotton rope.....

Stephen,
I'm pleased to hear that. You confirm my confidence in you as a craftsman. On further reflection I can see that this method of joining plates would be useful for pieces that are unevenly shaped and minimally sized.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2015 14:17:36

estebanana

RE: building Miguel Rodriguez style ... (in reply to jshelton5040

quote:

Stephen,
I'm pleased to hear that. You confirm my confidence in you as a craftsman. On further reflection I can see that this method of joining plates would be useful for pieces that are unevenly shaped and minimally sized.

Yep if the boards are irregular this method works. And hey I joined three pieces at once, that is at least intermediate level work!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2015 12:58:04

SephardRick

quote:

I made a similar rig of rope, plywood, and lumber last year for a neck reset. It worked quiet well. So, it's reassuring to see a man of your talents, Stephen, using basic devises. Like they say: "It's not the engine, but the engineer."

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2015 15:04:21
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote