Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Question about a Conde   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

siliconsoniquete

Question about a Conde 

I came across a 2001 Esteso Hermanos Conde, Model 3 for sale on Craigslist.

Does anybody know anything about this model? I can't seem to find anything about it online. Also any idea if $4900 is a good price?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2015 21:14:13

mark indigo

RE: Question about a Conde (in reply to siliconsoniquete

quote:

Does anybody know anything about this model? I can't seem to find anything about it online. Also any idea if $4900 is a good price?

from looking at the ad (you didn't post a link, but I googled "2001 Esteso Hermanos Conde, Model 3 for sale on Craigslist"), it also tells you it's a media luna and gravina 7 shop. model 3 is shown here: http://www.hermanosconde.com/seleccion.html
I don't know what that price is in £ but it sounds about right, maybe a good price. £3-4,000 is usual price in UK.

You should definitely play it first though.

also, you might want to check out old threads on conde guitars, like this one http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=274991&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=&tmode=&smode=&s=#274991

or this one http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=100890&mpage=1&p=&tmode=1&smode=1&key=

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2015 22:06:05

orsonw

Market value for a 2001 Gravina 7 is lower than Felipe V. $4900 is reasonable for Felipe V but Gravina 7 from this time sell for around $3000.

As always try the guitar because market value doesn't necessarily tell you how good the guitar is or how it suits one personally.

Here's a 2001 Felipe V for sale asking price $4400 http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=279963&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2015 7:58:44

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: siliconsoniquete

Those guitars are outsourced by the maker's widow...not to say it might not be a great instrument, but, normally speaking, guitars made in the same place with the house label from Valencia or wherever, you are talking a $1200 to $1500 instrument. The extra $ mark up is for the "Conde" label...as Orson said the A model instruments from the OTHER address (Felipe V) command a higher fee only because they are believed to have been hand built by the Conde brothers (1990-2010 or so).

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2015 11:21:33

mark indigo

RE: Question about a Conde (in reply to orsonw

quote:

Market value for a 2001 Gravina 7 is lower than Felipe V.

good point. I hadn't really taken that into account. I see Felipe V guitars come up for sale 2nd hand from time to time, but rarely Gravina models. Maybe we shouldn't even talk about "Conde" guitars, but refer to the shops/era's.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2015 16:22:42

mark indigo

RE: Question about a Conde (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

they are believed to have been hand built by the Conde brothers (1990-2010 or so).
Or at least hand made by a luthier rather than a factory build! I wonder too about the different rosette's, if there is any significance in them, whether different luthiers contracted to make the guitars use particular rosette's?
If the price of the Gravina Conde's from the '90's onwards is factory guitar + Conde label then I guess the Felipe V guitars from the 90's onwards are priced to pay a good luthier (whether Mariano and/or his sons and/or apprentices or other luthier under contract) to hand build to Conde specs + Conde label.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2015 16:26:01

Ricardo

RE: Question about a Conde (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

Or at least hand made by a luthier rather than a factory build! I wonder too about the different rosette's, if there is any significance in them, whether different luthiers contracted to make the guitars use particular rosette's?

To be clear, there was never admission that outside "luthiers" build Felipe V A models....the B models yes. The accusation is that, in fact, they were getting both A and B models from the same sources in Valencia etc..ie ALL FACTORY made instruments. That is why the key term in my sentence "Believed to be made...". About Rosette....Chicuelo has an Atocha conde with an identical rosette to Felipe V condes from the same era. Implication is that either 1. premade rosettes coming from the same source? or...2. guitars from both houses made in the SAME factory.

To give credit to number 1 there, I saw a couple Gerundino's from the late period (1990s-2000) with an identical rosette to the one PDL's faustino conde had in the 80's.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2015 17:01:54

mark indigo

RE: Question about a Conde (in reply to Ricardo

I remember in the marathon "Conde Questions" thread there was a post saying something like "the top models are made by good guitarreros in Madrid", but I don't remember if it specified which shop.
I have a Felipe V AF25 I bought last year (mint condition, good price, beast of a guitar ), that has a stamp inside saying "Mariano Conde constructor de guitarras".
I know they don't have that in all the media lunas, but I also don't know if that means Mariano made it, or if it was made under his supervision.... point is it tunes up well, it's easy to play, and has a good and powerful sound.
It doesn't have the same rosette as the Chicuelo Atocha, but I also have seen that same rosette on guitars from all the shops.
I wonder how they choose the rosettes....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2015 17:14:27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post