Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Asian Seafood   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

RE: Asian Seafood (in reply to Leñador

There's a Japanese tamale too, it's called Akumaki. It's rice wrapped in a bamboo leaf and then cooked for several hours in water soaked in wood ash. The akumaki is made to have some natural preservative strength, it can last few days without being refrigerated.

It's an old old food style and many Japanese don't even like or have had it. But since we live in the deep south this old style is still in the country. The woman across the street makes it to sell in markets and she gives me a few every month. When her daughter found out I eat akumaki it became a subject of much discussion and giggling. The older people eat it, but many younger folks think it is old fashioned or plain stinky.

The akumaki was carried by samurai and traveling folks because it would last a few days on the road. There is a local samurai residence compound that is now preserved as a historical site. An interesting local history of samurai, they guarded the border between Kumamoto prefecture and Kagoshima at Izumi, about 20 minutes north by car. The port of Kagoshima was unique and provided an easy safe anchorage for trade ships from China and the West, so at Izumi they put up a strong border to keep other factions from coming down and taking control of the harbor. Fascinating local history. next time I go other there I'll take my camera. The Kagoshima harbor is where that big active volcano is located, the one we talked about a few weeks ago called Sakurajima. I wish I had a better camera, theres is lots of interesting history here that done not get known much outside the area.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2015 13:15:14

Escribano

RE: Asian Seafood (in reply to estebanana

quote:

I wish I had a better camera, theres is lots of interesting history here that done not get known much outside the area

My cheaper recommendation than the Sony RX1R is the Ricoh GR. Check out the pics. on Flickr. About $600 new and you won't regret it for travel shots.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2015 14:40:43

Paul Magnussen

quote:

Only Donald Trump or a hoodlum of his ilk would eat dry tamales

I didn’t know Donald Trump had an ilk. If so, I’m not voting for him!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 2 2015 16:30:51

estebanana

RE: Asian Seafood (in reply to Escribano

quote:

My cheaper recommendation than the Sony RX1R is the Ricoh GR. Check out the pics. on Flickr. About $600 new and you won't regret it for travel shots

I'll look into the Ricoh, but I'm really Jonesing for that Zeiss lens. I have a 1939 Zeiss Icon that still shoots well, but I wish it was digital with the same lens. Wonderful old single coated lens.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2015 11:07:42

Escribano

quote:

I have a 1939 Zeiss Icon that still shoots well, but I wish it was digital with the same lens. Wonderful old single coated lens.

Try the SonyX100 II with Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 28-100mm (35mm equivalent). Small sensor though.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 3 2015 13:57:48
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote