Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

For estebanana   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

pink

For estebanana 

Hey Stephen
This has been showing on BBC2 for the last three weeks....thought of you. Hope you are well and all is good.
If you look on YouTube or go to BBC iplayer you should catch the whole series. One of the few types of programmes that we will bother to watch. Hope you enjoy, it certainly caught our attention.

Best

pink

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 24 2015 21:55:37

estebanana

RE: For estebanana (in reply to pink

Konichiwa Pink-san,

Thanks, I'll watch them. I want to see the one about Kyushu, Just the introduction made it sound like Mars. I read dozens of books about Japan over the years and looked at Japanese art and culture in the US.

Nothing actually prepares you for stepping off the plane with your long stemmed corn cob pipe and aviator sunglasses!

( "I say I say, that's joke son." - Foghorn Leghorn)

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2015 2:51:17

chester

Hey Pink sorry to crash your thread but while we're on the subject of estebanana and Japan...

Any recommendations for sushi places in Berkeley?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2015 5:18:44

BarkellWH

RE: For estebanana (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Nothing actually prepares you for stepping off the plane with your long stemmed corn cob pipe and aviator sunglasses!

After first landing on the beach at Leyte by walking through the surf with your long-stemmed corn cob pipe clenched between your teeth and your aviator sunglasses. The determined scowl and the set of your jib, however, is not directed at the Japanese. According to William Manchester, author of the General's biography "American Caesar," it was more likely directed at the landing craft's captain who, when the landing craft went aground 50 yards from the beach, reportedly said, "Let 'em walk."

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2015 7:09:30

pink

RE: For estebanana (in reply to chester

quote:

ORIGINAL: chester

Hey Pink sorry to crash your thread but while we're on the subject of estebanana and Japan...

Not sure on the grub but the entertainment sounds pleasing.

Best

pink

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2015 8:11:23

estebanana

RE: For estebanana (in reply to chester

quote:

Sushi, in Berkekely? MOOOOOOOOOOO!

Haha

Just pick one that looks clean. If the cutter is actually Japanese from Japan, a plus.

The last time I had Japnese in Berkeley was an in downtown an izakaya called Ippuku:
2130 Center St, Berkeley, CA 94704, United States
Phone:+1 510-665-1969

The food was good, the chicken and squid dishes are good. My only complaint would be that the same food in Japan would be half the price, but taste is good. The place is run by gaijin, and they kind of over did the decor. Think Irish bar theme in Memphis....you know overdone.

Genki Sushi on San Pablo across from Kermit Lynch Wines is good for the price and Kirala on Adeline is good.

Not sushi, but over in Oakland is a small place called B-Dama- Izakaya food that is pretty authentic, but also twice the price as the same food in Japan. A roasted dried Aji dried (mackerel family fish) was about 7 or 8 dollars. In Japan no one would ever pay that, you can buy dried aji 3 for 250 yen, or about $2.25 US. Izakaya might charge $3.00 for aji.

There are also lots of fish you can't get in the US, like Kibinago, a small anchovy sized fish that is good grilled - and one called Kasago or Arakabu in the south. I Osaka they call it Gashira which means head, because it has a huge head. Arakabu is like a small rock bass about 7 to 8 " long and real fat. They make good broth, but I can't ever remember catching one in CA. And sometimes you can get Kisu, or Sillago in English- if any izakaya serves Kisu Tempura try it, it's really good. Worth taste even if the price is high. I just go catch them off the pier and batter them up.

I'm always at odds with the written and spoken language here, and but spoiled on izakaya food. Not sure if I will touch Japanese food in the States when I get a chance to visit home. Too many tacos to catch up on and as I remember Japanese food in the US is not entirely like Japanese food I've come to know. Don't let that discourage you, I think the trend to cook izakaya style is a good thing, but beware the high prices.

There's also a dish which is super good called Buri Kama, it's Yellow Tail, Buri is Yellow tail. Young yellowtail is called Hamachi, after it get bigger its called Buri... Buri Kama is the part of the fish behind the gills and before you get too far into the flanks. They cut the head off then then take crescent shaped cut off the body behind the gills. Kama means sickle so buri kama is the sickle shaped area behind the head.

They rub it with coarse salt and slowly roast it on both sides until the skin is brown. It's not fishy at all and the collagen and skin in that cut give it a great flavor and texture. If you ever see Buri Kama on a menu try it.

I could talk about Japanese fish all day...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2015 8:27:07

SephardRick

RE: For estebanana (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

directed at the landing craft's captain who, when the landing craft went aground 50 yards from the beach, reportedly said, "Let 'em walk."

Ha!

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2015 13:39:53

estebanana

Pink I watched one episode today. The one with Sakurajima Volcano. I live near that volcano.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 25 2015 13:55:54

pink

How close to the volcano are you? Do you experience the volcanic ash where you are?
I hope you enjoyed the programme. My favourite of the three programmes has to be the third.....the north....quite stunning and so very harsh in winter. I'm not keen on flying but will probably make the journey from the UK at some point in the future.....my wife is very keen to visit Japan.....we just need to jettison our children before we commit to that trip otherwise we will be saving for a very long time before we can come!!

Best

pink

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 26 2015 12:06:27

estebanana

You should come say with me, I feed you well! HAHA I'm a poor guitar maker, but I have nice rooms for guests and all the most excellent sashimi one could wish for.

I will watch the Hokkaido episode this weekend.

I liked the old Okinawa ladies grabbing sea snakes. That is really how old Japanese ladies in the countryside are. Just like that. The old lady that lives across the alley from me goes diving for abalone, she's like 65 and tougher than a US Marine. Serious.

Tough old Japanese ladies make hard motorcycle riding SF bull dykes look like tutu wearing princess fairy ballerinas. And some of those dykes and old sea ladies are my friends so I know.

Anyway, I'm about 80 km from Sakurajima, we don't get ash over here, but maybe a few times a year we get some haze from ash clouds up high. The trade winds blow South East over Kagoshima prefecture and we are on the West end so the ask get blown over the east side of the prefecture.

The documentary exaggerated a tiny bit on how much ash comes down on the city of Kagoshima, most blows away from the city, but make no mistake it gets plenty of ash. After the volcano belches out a good round of ash the cars in Kagoshima city look like they have been at Burning Man for a month.

It is really a beautiful mountain most of the time it is covered in clouds and you only see the wide base, but if you are lucky you get to see it on a clear day.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 26 2015 15:04:09

pink

I'm amazed at what you know from your relatively short time staying there......you really have emmersed yourself in the culture and everyday life of your new home....an open mind is an educated one.....and you share your experiences well. Thank you!!
It will be some time before we travel again but if you are still residing there then it would be great to meet in person. I would love to see your work too.

Best

pink

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 26 2015 23:32:57

chester

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana
Sushi, in Berkekely? MOOOOOOOOOOO!

I've actually been to Ippuku pretty recently and it was definitely a cool place. They have a not-so-secret raw chicken menu so you can feel authentic.
Pricey but if you're willing to spend it's a good place for a date.

I'll check out Genki, thanks for the recommendation.

Think Japanese expats eat burgers on their visits home?

Pink that's a good tune but I prefer this one -
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2015 4:32:41

estebanana

quote:

I've actually been to Ippuku pretty recently and it was definitely a cool place. They have a not-so-secret raw chicken menu so you can feel authentic.
Pricey but if you're willing to spend it's a good place for a date.

I'll check out Genki, thanks for the recommendation.

Think Japanese expats eat burgers on their visits home?

Pink that's a good tune but I prefer this one -

When I visit the US next I don't think I will eat anything but hamburgers, pizza and tacos- and Moonlight brewery beer.

Raw chicken, yuck. I don't like chicken sashimi. Blech. At Ippuku I thought the fried chicken was good and the ika in it ika sumi. Japanese eat a lot of fried chicken. My first meal here was fried chicken, potato salad and beer.

I could go on...one weird thing is when old folks die and they have many friends, you pay a little the family to go a wake event after funeral. like a $100.00 - they cater it lavishly and Yuko's dad is 81 so he goes to many funerals a year. After the wake he carts back bento full of food and plonks it down on the table. Then he laughs and says ok we have to eat this. Some times the bento catering is really good.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2015 13:58:41
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote