Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

The other side of Andalusia and Spain   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ruphus

The other side of Andalusia and Spain 

According to what I read there must be no small number of people who, after witnessing bull fight, bird hunting and fate of rejected hunting dogs, decided to not visit Spain again.

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Hunting-Dogs-Martin-Usborne/dp/3868285954

Indignation works.

After a protest of citizens against a feeding of stray dogs with baits loaded with razor blades and needles in a city of the oriental country that I am and a following stir in some local media and in social platforms, things have changed remarkably.
(And maybe a vaccination action for stray dogs that we realized roughly 6 months ago on a mountain at the capitol, which a mayor candidate joined for PR / was reported on TV contributed a bit as well.)

Whilst stray animals and their litters in my quarter used to face unspeakably cruel destiny in the foregone years, this year there is a whole different attitude to be seen.

For instance with an abandoned mother dog and her remaining two puppies. (With her having been terribly emaciated and then been fiercely hit by someone so that likely due to injured spine or pelvis she was limping and swaying with yelling of pain, so devastating that I made my dear Vet friend get out of bed at 1:30 am and drive over to here from about 30 km away and treat her and the puppies until 5:00 am. With 3 more treatments following. - She then could not walk anymore, only crawl in slow motion.)

People are now feeding these dogs, with some behaving so sweet that you get touched watching them.
They have fed this little family so well, that the puppies are already over fed, whilst their mother (who I didn´t expect to survive at all) has not only gained weight to almost normal but nearly fully recovered, with only slight anomally left with walking and infected eyes, - which we will try to treat also).

And suddenly noone has taken attempts anymore of torturing and killing. (Ok, except of a couple of scattered scum cases whom I had to drive away. And yesterday I heard the cries of a tortured dog from a far. But these kind of coccurances have really decreased essentially.)

Anyway, animal torturing seems directly bound to public image.
I have just witnessed a drastic change of behaviour the very minute that people sense cruelty as unfashionable and as deemed despicable by public.

(From there too bad that the image of bull fighting in Spain has actually just seen a high among indifferent youngsters, if a TV report from recently is correct.)

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2015 11:31:28

edguerin

RE: The other side of Andalusia and ... (in reply to Ruphus

The other side of the other side:

Great pictures by
Nicolas Haro
that were exposed in Sevilla, where Flamencos advertised against abuse of, and
help for Galgos

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 21 2015 9:49:15

Ruphus

RE: The other side of Andalusia and ... (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

We would like to express our gratitude to the 12 flamenco artists who have genereously contribute with their image to this cause: Arcangel, Farrucquito, Israel Galvan, Manuel Lombo, Rocio Marquez, Milagros Menjibar, Estrella Morente, Ruben Olmo, Miguel Poweda, Nino de Pura, José de la Tomasa y Eva Yerbabuena.

Naturally, all good people and efforts that exist are more than great to have and conveying a glimpse of hope.

But the problem with underdeveloped culture, reflected in Ghandi´s quote on the same site, is the proportion of humane / progressive power to its major contrary.

If there was no majority of cold-hearted to sadist individuals the given dimension of abuse would not be there. Nor the abscence of laws against them, or even just discussions about whether cruel traditions were to be worth of being preserved as culture.

Instead of occupying supporters abroad who are adopting thousands of galgos and thus not available for shelters at home, national and international proscription of animal abuse should be a much more effective way.

And galgo breeding and hunting with galgos should be prohibited, which it would very soon if the international public and officiality was to take offence.

Ruphus

PS:
And in the midst of typing this I had to go out and talk to a man who just hit one of the little dog family mentioned above. He claimed these entirely bening and friendly creatures had taken attempts to attack him while he was passing by.

And while I was explaining to him how this was totally impossible, he meant to prove his expertise by saying that he owned a German shepherd himself.
Just to think of that poor creature in the hands of such an ogre ...
(And then the official regulation in a place like this.
If this aggressive person was to complain to the municipality about the allegedly attacking strays, a squad would come, shoot them, throw the carcasses or still alive injured on their pickup, make off and sleep perfectly well in the following night.)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 21 2015 11:21:30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post