Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Flying with a Guitar as Checked-In Baggage   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

BarkellWH

Flying with a Guitar as Checked-In B... 

I have been on the move since the beginning of May. First my wife Marta and I flew to Arizona to spend the month of May renting an apartment in Oro Valley, just north of and adjacent to, Tucson to see if we might like to settle there. Back to Washington, DC for one week. Then I flew to Honolulu, overnighted there, and the next day flew on to Guam with a final destination of the island nation of Palau, where I am on a three month assignment at the American Embassy for the State Department.

I mention these perigrinations because I decided to take a Prudencio Saez guitar with me. I originally bought it in Bangkok to take into Rangoon, Burma, where I was on a four month State Department gig in 2004. I checked it in as baggage then, and I checked it in on my recent flights to Arizona and the long journey to Palau. It was in a hard-shell case, but had no other special protection. Each time it arrived safely at the final destination with no damage to either the guitar or the case.

I would never do this with my Gerundino or a couple of of other flamencos I have, but I figured if I lost the Prudencio Saez I could live with it, although I would not be pleased to do so. I know it was, and is, taking a chance, but it does demonstrate that if a guitar is handled correctly by airline personnel, one can travel with it as checked baggage, as long as it is in a hard case.

By the way, Marta and I have decided we really would like anchoring ourselves in Oro Valley, more so than Phoenix or Scottsdale in Arizona. And Palau is still the most magnificent of the Micronesian island nations in the Western Pacific. Most veteran divers consider it the Dive Spot of the world, with beautiful coral reefs and the most colorful variety of reef fish I have ever seen in one place. There is a large Marine Sanctuary, and a specific Shark Sanctuary as well. And there is a marine lake with a species of Jelly Fish that have evolved with no stinging tentacles, appropriately called Jelly Fish Lake. When I was on my last gig to Palau in 2010, I spent the day with a group at Jelly Fish lake, snorkling among the millions (literally millions) of Golden Jelly Fish. It is one of the world's marine treasures.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2015 3:44:05

Richard Jernigan

RE: Flying with a Guitar as Checked-... (in reply to BarkellWH

As I've mentioned before, my '67 Ramirez 1a blanca has more than a million airline miles on it as checked baggage. It has never suffered any damage, and has only gone walkabout once, missing the tight connection from DFW to Austin. It arrived on the next flight, maybe an hour and a half later.

All of the Ramirez's travels have been in high quality flight cases. The first was a Mark Leaf case--no longer in production. As I remember, it cost $450 around 30 years ago. Checking in at Austin, the agent commented, "Good case. My boyfriend is a pro mandolin player. I'm buying him a case like that for Christmas."

"Why do you like it?"

"I worked in baggage for ten years. I never saw a guitar damaged in a case like that."

The Mark Leaf is a big, very heavy monster. I've seen a picture of Ricardo's father's Hauser in a case like it.

The other case was a Reuer. "Was" because after it came home from Bali last July I noticed that in places the foam behind the velvet lining had turned into some kind of black nasty goop. Otherwise the case had done a good job for more than 20 years. It's big and heavy as well, but not as big and heavy as the Mark Leaf.

I have a couple of Karura cases, lighter weight, very stiff carbon fiber. They have case covers to add some padding and insulation, and to keep the shiny black carbon fiber and plastic from getting scratched up. The Karuras have only been used to ship a couple of very expensive guitars from the Marshall Islands to Austin. They were packed in bubble wrap and tri-wall cardboard boxes. Everything went OK.

Since the Reuer started emitting black goop, I bought a Visesnut case from Marshall Brune, Richard Brune's son--also a highly skilled luthier. The Visesnut is made just down the street from the Karuras in Thailand's high tech center where hard disks, Nikons and Canon cameras are made, as well as a lot of other state of the art stuff. It's even lighter than the Karuras, and has an ingenious internal suspension system that is adjustable to fit a variety of guitar sizes. It has a cover as well.

Nowadays there's a pretty good chance you can carry your guitar aboard if the flight is not overbooked, and you are not among the last people to board, after the overhead bins are full. But always have it in a reliable case, preferably with a cover, in the event you have to check it.

But I still don't know of an inexpensive case that I would trust to the airlines with a guitar I cared about.

The last time the Arcangel Fernandez left the house it went in a Karura case with cover. I bought a first class ticket for it, put it in the overhead bin, and went along for the ride. I also insured it for the full appraised value, but it is essentially irreplaceable as far as I am concerned.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2015 4:18:51

BarkellWH

RE: Flying with a Guitar as Checked-... (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

But I still don't know of an inexpensive case that I would trust to the airlines with a guitar I cared about.

The last time the Arcangel Fernandez left the house it went in a Karura case with cover. I bought a first class ticket for it, put it in the overhead bin, and went along for the ride. I also insured it for the full appraised value, but it is essentially irreplaceable as far as I am concerned.

Ditto for me, Richard. I would never ship my Gerundino in an ordinary hard case. Nor would I ship a couple of others I have, including a Manuel Adalid, in a hard case only. But I don't like the idea of lugging around a huge, very heavy case such as the Mark Leaf you mentioned either. Thus, when I want to take a guitar with me I just chance it with my Prudencio Saez, originally bought in Bangkok to take into Rangoon Burma, in an ordinary hard case and hope for the best.

By the way, Richard, I'm currently doing a three-month State Department gig at our Embassy in Koror, Palau. I know you have dived in the FSM and the RMI, but have you ever come to Palau? Overall, I think the quality and color of the reefs and reef fish in Palau beats anything in the other two entities, as good as they are. Yap is very good as well.

If you have the inclination, you might consider coming to Palau. It would be great to see you here, and I can suggest what I think is the best dive experience in the Palau Archipelago. (I'm not a SCUBA diver, but I do snorkle.) Another interesting place in Palau is the island of Peleliu, where there was a fierce battle in WW II when the 1st Marine Division landed to take it from the Japanese, as it had an airfield, and MacArthur did not want the Japanese to threaten his flank as he drove into the Philippines. Military historians still debate whether or not it was necessary to take Peleliu, but it was one of the major battles in the Pacific, and Marines still consider the landing beaches sacred territory.

When I was in Palau in 2010, the two-star Marine general comanding Futenma Marine Air Station in Okinawa flew his own plane to Palau for an official visit. As Charge' d'Affaires I hosted him. He wanted to visit Peleliu, and when he was on the landing beach he put some sand in a small vial to take back, and he knelt on the beach, silently, for a full minute. It was very moving.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2015 23:34:49

estebanana

Bill,

Have a good sojourn on Palau. We are probably sharing the same rainy season weather. Stay out of those seedy sakau bars, you never know when a machete fight might break out!
Kidding. What does the main drag of Palau look like these days? Is it built up very modern, or still maintains that fashionable corrugated roof chic?

~S.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2015 1:54:33

BarkellWH

RE: Flying with a Guitar as Checked-... (in reply to estebanana

Stephen,

Koror, the capital of Palau, has fairly modern buildings, although they are sometimes a bit frayed at the edges. Palau receives dive groups from all over the world: the U.S., Germany, Italy, Russia, and many more. Plus there are PRC Chinese running all over the islands. The Chinese have displaced the Japanese as the dominant tourist group. Palau has a much better developed tourist industry than either Micronesia or the Marshalls.

But speaking of corrugated roofs, the archetypal "tin roofs and palm trees" capital in the Western Pacific region is still Kolonia, in the Federated States of Micronesia. Many years ago there was a well-known New York Times journalist named Malcolm Browne who covered Southeast Asia and the Pacific. Malcolm Browne used to say, over a couple of beers, that you could always tell when you were landing on a Pacific island because when you looked down all you saw were "tin roofs and palm trees." He was on to something. Kolonia still reminds me of Malcolm Browne.

And if we are going to generalize, it reminds me of President Reagan's Ambassador to Colombia, Lewis Tambs, a professor of Latin American studies at Arizona State University. When Reagan nominated Tambs as Ambassador to Colombia he (Tambs) faced some criticism from the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Back in the mid '70s, Tambs had described most Latin American countries as consisting of "nothing more than a flag, a football team, and a seat in the UN." Actually kind of funny, more than a little true in some cases, but definitely not diplomatic. He was confirmed and maintained very good relations with the Colombians. In America there are second acts!

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2015 6:26:49

Estevan

quote:

Palau is still the most magnificent of the Micronesian island nations in the Western Pacific.

And they have a rather appealing no-nonsense approach to protecting the environment:

Palau is burning boats to deter illegal poaching of marine life

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2015 13:28:59

BarkellWH

RE: Flying with a Guitar as Checked-... (in reply to Estevan

quote:

And they have a rather appealing no-nonsense approach to protecting the environment:

Palau is burning boats to deter illegal poaching of marine life

Exactly! That occurred just before my arrival, and it has gotten widespread publicity. They were Vietnamese fishermen poaching in Palauan waters. The Palauans burned all of the fishing boats save two. They placed all of the Vietnamese fishermen on the two boats with just enough fuel to get them back to Vietnam. This is a much better lesson than just fining them, as many islands have done with poachers. Destroy their assets and they will think twice before coming back to poach.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2015 0:14:59

estebanana

The Japanese should do that to the Chinese fishing fleets that fish, but it's too provocative. The Chinese fleets certainly deserve that. They fish off the central coast of Honshu in Japanese territorial waters.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2015 1:46:45

Richard Jernigan

Hi Bill--

The Karura and Visesnut cases are admirable solutions to the flight case problem, considerably lighter than my molded plywood double-arch cases. They are very stout, but also expensive.

I've been diving in Palau twice. Once in the mid-nineties my regular buddy and I went with Fish 'n Fins. The company was started by Francis Toribiong. It was the first tourist diving operation in Palau. It had recently been bought by an Israeli couple, who had been operating a live-aboard dive boat in Palau for a few years.

Larisa and I dived with Sam's Tours in 2006. I noticed that in the time since I had been with Fish 'n Fins, Sam's had prospered and expanded considerably, but Fish 'n Fins seemed to have stagnated. I wondered why. Then I heard that Sam, the American operator of Sam's Tours is the adopted son of the highest chief in Palau, who married an American woman.

Thanks for the invitation. I place Palau near the top of the list of the many dive destinations I have visited. It's tops for large animals, in my experience. But living at Kwajalein for 18 1/2 years is hard to beat. There is a great variety of stuff there, and if you have your own boat you can get to places that only get divers two or three times a year. The difference is remarkable.

Larisa and I are off to Italy today until the end of July, so that's my travel plan for the moment. I'll probably be ready to stay home for a while when I get back--but thanks for the invitation.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2015 13:03:06

Estevan

quote:

The Japanese should do that to the Chinese fishing fleets that fish, but...

...it would Hurt the Feelings of the Chinese People.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2015 17:52:39

estebanana

I'll forego my rant on the hurt feelings of the Beijing government. Funny however that the dissidents make fun of them this way. It's always a one way street with Beijing, they can be aggressive and pass it off as Chinese rights, but get butt hurt when other countries "disobey"and bring "shame" upon China. So over the top with melodrama it's almost funny.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2015 15:50:17

Estevan

quote:

I'll forego my rant on the hurt feelings of the Beijing government.

Yes, there's no need to go into it here - though you gave a concise summary - it's too dismal, despite the surreal laffs. I've been following it sporadically for a long time. I have a lot of Tibetan friends.

Those Visesnut cases come in interesting colours.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 21 2015 21:56:02

BarkellWH

RE: Flying with a Guitar as Checked-... (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

Then I heard that Sam, the American operator of Sam's Tours is the adopted son of the highest chief in Palau, who married an American woman.

Sam Scott (the "Sam" of Sam's Tours) is a good friend of mine, dating from my four-month gig as Charge' d'Affaires at the American Embassy in Palau in 2010. We had a nice long chat over a couple of beers several days ago, after my return on this gig.

Sam's mother indeed married one of the two paramount chiefs on Palau, the Ibedul, who traditionally has held court on Koror, the main island and town. The other paramount chief is known as the Recklai, who traditionally has held court on the big island just north of Koror, called Babelduab. I got to know both of the paramount chiefs, and both have interesting histories.

Both the Ibedul and the Recklai served in the U.S. military, the Ibedul in the Army and the Recklai in the Marines. Each of them ended their service and were called back to Palau when their respective fathers passed away, and they assumed the roles of Ibedul and Recklai. When I hosted the two-star Marine general from Futenma in Okinawa, mentioned above, I introduced him to the Recklai, who had served in the Marines. It was like two old salts regaling each other with war stories. They say a Marine is always a Marine, no matter where he is and what he does after the service, and after listening to those two for an hour, I believe it.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2015 2:14:39

estebanana

quote:

Yes, there's no need to go into it here - though you gave a concise summary - it's too dismal, despite the surreal laffs. I've been following it sporadically for a long time. I have a lot of Tibetan friends.

I watch the press conferences that the PRC party press Sec. gives when they issue statements about dealing with this or that spat over the East China Sea. It's amazing what comes out of his mouth. It's not even reality in the remotest sense.

The scramble to embed Chinese businesses in other countries, especially in Africa will not discontinue, but a lot of traditional practices which are harmful to the environment are continuing to receive internal criticism from Chinese citizens. I also watch programs about Chinese ecologists and scientists who carefully voice real observations about the state of the environment despite the official 'Feelings are Hurt' line.

So counter a rant about how biased the statements of the PRC government are, I know many Chinese scientists are on top of it rationally and I applaud them for speaking out.

Poaching in the sea is a terrible thing, the Palauans pulled off a coup and I hope there are no repercussions. I think they have every right to police their waters and steward the environment around them in any way they wish.

I wish we could go further into a rational talk of these topics, but I fear they get derailed into rants too easily.

Yeah how 'bout those Visenut cases....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2015 2:24:09

estebanana

quote:

Both the Ibedul and the Recklai served in the U.S. military, the Ibedul in the Army and the Recklai in the Marines. Each of them ended their service and were called back to Palau when their respective fathers passed away, and they assumed the roles of Ibedul and Recklai. When I hosted the two-star Marine general from Futenma in Okinawa, mentioned above, I introduced him to the Recklai, who had served in the Marines. It was like two old salts regaling each other with war stories. They say a Marine is always a Marine, no matter where he is and what he does after the service, and after listening to those two for an hour, I believe it.

Bill

You know how Marines say good bye to each other when they become mathematicians after military service?

Wait for it.....

Semper Pi !

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2015 2:32:25

BarkellWH

quote:

Poaching in the sea is a terrible thing, the Palauans pulled off a coup and I hope there are no repercussions. I think they have every right to police their waters and steward the environment around them in any way they wish.

Palau's President Remengesau is being applauded in many quarters for his action against the Vietnamese poachers, and he appears to be doubling down on threats to poachers. There were six fishing boats. Four were burned and the other two were fueled and provisioned for the entire 77 crew members and fishermen to make their way back to Vietnam.

The captains of the boats remain in Palau, however, awaiting trial and jail terms. President Remengesau is quoted in the local newspaper as saying, "This message goes to the captains and crews of these vessels. Palau guarantees you will return with nothing. Captains will be prosecuted and jailed. Boats will be burned. Nothing will be gained from poaching in Palau. From one fisherman to another, respect Palau."

There won't be any repercussions. Under the Compact of Free Association between the Republic of Palau and the United States, the U.S. is responsible for Palau's defense. I guarantee there won't be any hostile foreign warships entering Palauan waters or aircraft entering Palauan air space.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2015 7:40:01

Richard Jernigan

On our first visit to Palau Larisa and I met Sam Scott. There was a party at Sam's Tours for an anniversary of the business. The day of the party we met Sam. I was wearing my Wake Island T-shirt, with a picture of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle and the caption "Wake Island, Coast to Coast in Sixty Seconds." Sam laughed and commented. We chatted for a moment before going diving, and he invited us to the party. It was a blast--we sat at the table with Sam and traded dive stories.

I doubt that Sam remembers me, but he would be more likely to remember Larisa.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2015 9:06:49

Estevan

This seems to be the appropriate thread - the Marshall Islands in the news:

This dome in the Pacific houses tons of radioactive waste – and it's leaking

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2015 3:07:53

Estevan

Micronesia in the news again!

World's worst football team just got worse

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 7 2015 15:48:12

Ruphus

Some things you can read but never really fathom, as they are just out of imagination.
quote:

In total, 67 nuclear and atmospheric bombs were detonated on Enewetak and Bikini between 1946 and 1958 – an explosive yield equivalent to 1.6 Hiroshima bombs detonated every day over the course of 12 years.
(How sick and flippant is that, again?)

While others seem just familiar ...
quote:

Today, the US government insists that it has honoured all its obligations, and that the jurisdiction for the dome and its toxic contents lies with the Marshall Islands.

be it with how the US before dealt with legal rights of the American Natives, or how Germany made away (or better to say: was allowed to make away) with compensations after the world wars.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 7 2015 16:54:53

BarkellWH

RE: Flying with a Guitar as Checked-... (in reply to Estevan

quote:

Micronesia in the news again!

World's worst football team just got worse

And the Marshall Islands has a weightlifting team that competes inter-island. I watched them practice last year when I was in Majuro. The girls even had a team. You pick up some interesting little news vignettes on the islands, Estevan.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 7 2015 18:55:58

Estevan

quote:

You pick up some interesting little news vignettes on the islands, Estevan.

Usually glimpsed in the margin when I'm reading about something quite unrelated. It's thanks to you and Richard that I notice them!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 7 2015 19:03:38
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote