Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Tuning machines: what's wrong with using 3-in-1 oil?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

RobJe

RE: Tuning machines: what's wrong wi... (in reply to Guest

I find this thread so comforting. At last I can confess what I thought was my guilty secret. I have never lubricated my tuners! I even have a couple of guitars I bought in the 1960s and the tuners have survived unloved and still work without protesting.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2015 9:45:17

estebanana

RE: Tuning machines: what's wrong wi... (in reply to El Kiko

quote:

I just did a google search to find out the best lubricants to use .... but due to not thinking and perhaps miswording my query .. google search brought me to

Sexual Health topics ....
F Y I ..vaseline seems multi purpose ...

Many health experts advise against using vaseline as a lubricant for sex, it causes too much friction and it is difficult to remove from your skin and private bits for both men and women. It's especially a bad idea for women because the vaseline residue can trap bacteria, and other petroleum substances where they should not be trapped. The best alternatives are the modern water based lubricants that wash off completely with warm water.

In case any of you were soaping up your gears and thinking about your date later tonight.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2015 12:03:32

Escribano

RE: Tuning machines: what's wrong wi... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

In case any of you were soaping up your gears and thinking about your date later tonight.

KY is best.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2015 13:44:57

n85ae

RE: Tuning machines: what's wrong wi... (in reply to RobJe

KY Dries out, but of course you can always add water ...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2015 16:24:51

BarkellWH

RE: Tuning machines: what's wrong wi... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Many health experts advise against using vaseline as a lubricant for sex, it causes too much friction and it is difficult to remove from your skin and private bits for both men and women.

Perhaps another use for motor oil 10-30? As Encanto pointed out regarding his tuners, however, it would be difficult to reach the sexual equivalent of the 3,500 RPM of most engines. Talk about friction! And we won't even mention the stamina required.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2015 20:36:48

MunichLuthier

May I add something?

Never put any kind of oil on your tuners! Motor oil is useless, because it lubricates only once it has gone into damp state because of motor heat. As long as it is in liquid state it does nothing...

Sewing machine oil and all other oils based on fossile oil will not do it as they don't work on wood. Plant oils don't do the job either because they harden and get sticky after a while.

What are the mechanic principles and statics of a tuning machine? It is a so called worm gear (is that right? I am no native speaker...), so you have no preassure between the wheel and the axe/roller. Oiling there helps nothing but provides a perfect mess to collect all kinds of dust and dirt that in the end makes the wheel/roller transmission even harder...

Where is the preassure? Its on both sides of the roller, where the roller passes/touches wood. Putting oil on a wood/plastic or wood/ebony or wood/whatever bearing helps nothing. The oil gets sucked into the wood, it dissolves the natural oils, waxes and resins and produces damage.

There is only one spot, where normal oil helps: Where the roller passes the plate.

What really helps is using a trick that ancient carpenters used already some 5000 years ago e.g. in old egypt: They "lubricated" wood/wood and wood/ebony bearings with a special wax - carnauba is the solution. In order to be able to apply it, one has to take out he machines, heat and melt some carnauba and apply a few drops into the walls of the holes and then put the machine back.

This will provide a long lasting solution that collects no dirt, that does not damage to the wood and that works.

My oldest guitar is alomst 100 years old and its tuners run like a charm with this trick. I have "oiled" many guitars like this and the owners report that they never had any issues after that.

The other solution is to buy some good tuners like Scheller or Alessi or Graf or Rodgers that have bearings on both sides of the rollers.

I hope you find this usefull!

Kind regards - Michael

http://www.ruhe-gitarren.de

Music is the language of all human beeings
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2015 22:25:51

Jeff Highland

Wax on the roller holes is good
I think most of the discussion on oils was about the metal parts like gears and worms.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 21 2015 4:52:06

estebanana

Well if you want to lube your worm gear with KY, no better place than this apt complex called Planet K-Y in Downtown Akune.

If you feel a bit skeezy the next day about the previous nights goings on you can saunter over to the Buddhist temple next door and meditate off that walk of shame.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (3)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 21 2015 9:18:18

n85ae

Nice!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 21 2015 18:58:55

estebanana

Finally a conversation that has a happy ending.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 22 2015 0:41:05
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote