Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Eventual end of guitars structural intonation issue   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   3 4 5 [6] 7    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ruphus

RE: Eventual end of guitars structur... (in reply to Jeff Highland

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Highland

And then you also have the various body resonances which can push adjacent notes sharp or flat

I have experienced such in obvious ways with some guitars, and maybe it happens all the time only with well balanced structures to an only slight degree.

Fret. com´s Tom (at least I think it to have been him) explains how to find the spot on a top that relates most to an overly dominant frequency and how to tame it. A besides very helpful procedure that can be executed by laymen.

What effect of strings deviation is concerned, Ruhe mentions it in his description on page one of the thread.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2015 9:05:37

Sr. Martins

RE: Eventual end of guitars structur... (in reply to Ruphus

If we ignore strings, finger pressure and accept that it still won't be perfect...then yeah, we totally have the stuctural intonation issue solved.

Very good for guitars hanging on the wall for show.

All this just because you couldn't accept people telling you "No Ruphus, Ruhe's method is not the Eventual end of guitars structural intonation issue" and decided to read it as "No Ruhe, you're wrong".

"Ya no me conoce el sol, porque yo duermo de dia"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2015 9:14:39

MunichLuthier

Hi all!

Wow, lots of emotions here and arguing besides the topic.... anyhow, I'll try to help and clarify. Befor I do, I want to make clear what I use what words for:

Temperament is the system we tune fixed instruments such as pianos, guitars, ... all instruments, where the player does not freely set the frequency of a tone. The tempered tuning came up as far as I know around 1700 with organs and the first hammer pianos and its the reason why Bach wrote the "well tempered piano" in order to demonstrate to the public that the tempered tuning allows to play in all keys. As a guitar is a fixed tuned instrument (we can not move the frets while we play) it is tuned in a tempered tuning in order to be able to play it in all keys. The other tuning system is a "pure tuning" (I am no native speaker) where the tones are tuned according to the key you play in. So an As can be different to a Gis in this system - for us, its the same fret and this is one of the reasons why violinists smile at us...

Compensation has nothing to do with temperament, its just a correction that luthiers apply to a guitar as while we play, we increase the tension of a string and its length by pressing it down between two frets (the more we press, the worse ;-)). In oder to correct the intonation of aguitar, luthiers move the bridge between 1 and 3 mm (on a classic guitar) so that the scale gets longer. They usually do this with balancing the flageolett and pressed tone on the 12th fret. The compensation is different on all luthiers, on all kinds of construction, ...

Intonation is how close a guitar and a players gets the frequency of each tone to the frequency it should have (according to tempered tuning if you want). So a good intonation is close to the target, a poor one is wrong and one can hear that.

A violin player is only bussy with intonation as they have total freedom to set the frequency of each tone by the position they press and the vibrato thing you discussed (the rolling) is meant to vary the tone, which makes sense as the rolling varies the point where the string is pressed. Rolling on a guitar makes no sense, as the string always just starts swinging after the fret it lies on, but with rolling the player also changes the force of his finger up/downwards and thus creates the same effect, but he is doing that with changing the tension and not the position. ...I play cello for some years now, so I know what I speak about.

So, sorry about that, you find all of the above on wikipedia and I am sure you know, but just to avoid that we missunderstand the words.

What is my patent and why?

I make guitars for 15 years now and as I started (autodidactively) I used my skills as a studied physician to think about the intonation issue, that I always faced on my guitars, as I am playing for 40 years now and I have a kind of perfect pitch and always suffered... I invest more than 200 hours of work in building a guitar and some 800 Euros in wood and material so why not investing some energy in a better intonation?

Today, most guitars are made by CNC machines that are sawing the fret nuts based on a mathematic calculation. In earlier days (Torres, Ramirez, Hauser, Hermanos, name them ...) they determined the fret positions by listening and comparing to a violin or a piano and then they made a template for that and did not only rely on a calculation. This is the reason, why some of the old makers have an incredible well intonation. I listened to a concert with La Leona several times, I own a Hauser myself and have repaired another one and all were perfect in pitch. But the empiric times have gone and as most factories use CNC saws, the problem starts.

What I did is close to what constructordeguitarras wrote: I decided not to compensate the brigde by comparing the 12th fret with flageolett (which btw. makes that table useless that El Kiko posted, because alomost all guitars are fine at the open string and at the 12th exactly because of this method!) but I decided to move each fret away from its calculated position in order to compensate each one individually. The assumption was that the error gets bigger, the shorter the remaining string length is and thus the first fret gets almost no compensation and the 19th gets a lot.

So now we have a tiny thin 1st string and a big fat 6th string and of course, you need different compensations for both of them. So if used to its full extend, my patent provides non parallel frets that "twists" the more, the closer you get to the 19th or 20th fret. And I also made a variation, where luthiers can only use the compensation that I calculate for the 1st string and as the 6th needs more, they slightly twist the bridge. So in this application, my patent combines new and old way of compensation. This variation is made, because I wanted my patent to be applicable also for those luthiers, who use a CNC saw, as they can only saw parallel nuts.

What is the result of my patent or intonation impovement? Guitars that use this system do not only intonate correctly at the 1-3rd fret and around the 12th but also where the real problems are around frets no. 6-10 and 14 and above. If one saws by hand and makes non-parallel frets, the results are fantastic, on parallel they are at least better than in conventional fingerboards.

What are the limits? I still do not calculate each position individually because almost no guitar maker is able to build that. My goal was to produce something everyone can use without totally changing manufacturing equipement. So my improvement also has some issues where intonation is not perfect. If you look at the fretmobile from Chouard it is a great solution, but is it practical? What happens, of you bend the string and flip over the end of each piece of fret...? And yes, when a string is out of tune, the entire guitar is out too - I am working on inventing a miracle but hey that's damn hard... ;-)

And yes, some guitars don't need my system, as e.g. on flamenco you have a very low acting hight and the increase in tension and length is not producing audible faults. And other guitars are fretted by an old or just good template. But one can say that if everyone uses my patent, there would be hardly any more poor intonating guitars.

What I do when correcting the intonation on an existing guitar, I always try to make that as smooth as possible for the guitar. So in many applications, I get very good results by using Konrad Schwingensteins method that is known as buzz feiten in the US (actually, they stole his patent, because its only protecting him in Germany). I use it because it avoids a new fretting of the guitar which is a heavy work that has a lot of impact. But on some guitars, the miss-match of the frets is so heavy, that only new frets according to my system do the job.

Whether you want to use my system or not is up to you - I don't force anybody. I did invest some three years of research for an existing method but there is none and for fine tuning my calculation method. I built 4 guitars in order to test it and changed fretboards on them partly three times - so I did a lot of work and it costed a lot of money. So I patented it in order to protect my intellectual property. The meaning (and the legal precondition!) of a patent is to produce an exact description of what you do in order to allow everybody to do the same BUT everyone knows, that there is an inventor and he must be compensated for his work. I give it for free to everyone who wants to try or who builds guitar as a hobby and I charge a fee of 20,- EUR per fingerboard for everyone who uses it commercially. RNJ you can get it all at the patent office or just write me an email over my website.

So, thats more or less all I can add. Questions are welcome, doubts too, missunderstandings are appreciated and will be clarified but insults will be ignored ;-)

Cheers to all of you!

Michael

http://www.ruhe-gitarren.de

Music is the language of all human beeings
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2015 17:00:35

Sr. Martins

RE: Eventual end of guitars structur... (in reply to MunichLuthier

In my opinion you should post that on your website, I felt it wasn't very clear there (and other members too).

How often do you go "full on compensation" with non parallel frets compared to the "less compensated" version? Do you have a picture for us to see how it looks?

Thanks

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2015 17:12:21

MunichLuthier

RE: Eventual end of guitars structur... (in reply to Sr. Martins

Hi!

Let me check... I have one picture where I did a refretting and you can see the new positions (bright) vs. the wrong ones from the factory (dark, becaused already filled):

And on the other picture you see the finished guitar with fanned frets and on that one the immense failure on the twisted bridge which in this case was the cause for incredible wrong intonation...

And yes, I should improve the texts on my website... its difficult to get into the point of view of someone who has not done all that research but this is my target people. Thank you for pointing that to me!

Regards - Michael

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2015 18:21:17

Sr. Martins

Still looks like a guitar to me. Even if the fret deviation was more noticeable, fanned frets look cool and are the new trend in metal these days

I always thought that someone would already be doing something like that "gentle fanning" but if you hadn't told us now, I wouldn't be able to tell from your website, neither would I see this fretboard...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2015 18:42:36

MunichLuthier

Hi!

Ja, I know that I hide this but this guitar and what I did is a story on my website actually! Its under Patentmensur - Neubundierung. But there is such a varity of people and there are some that won't get bothered with how and why and all that and others (like you) want to know the details.

Haha and I just wanted to send you the link and now I discovered that my website has some strange background images after I did an update last week.... aaarrrghhh now I know what to do in the coming night. So I am going to fix this first and then I'll be back ;-)

Kind regards!

Michael
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2015 20:11:08

Richard Jernigan

Thanks for the reply, Michael. The chief objective of my detailed list of questions was in hoping to clear up the confusion in the thread, which led to disagreement. Your replies have been very helpful.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2015 5:47:20

estebanana

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2015 13:47:11

Ricardo

quote:

And yes, some guitars don't need my system, as e.g. on flamenco you have a very low acting hight and the increase in tension and length is not producing audible faults.

ok great..so we can carry on as usual.

Seriously...incase you didn't read it...both Rupus and I, opposite sides of a fence somehow, agree that in your examples, the cedar top is intonating BETTER than the spruce top (villa lobos clip vs albeniz respectively). Any thoughts? Ruphus has since come to conclusion the culprit is the B STRING TUNING being off (after his initial assumption that the player was at fault due to the particular passage, non of which are revealed in the cedar example). I was curious if there might be ANY other differences we don't know about between the two builds (degrees of compensation, action height, scale length, string brand, etc) that could be a contributing factor. If not, whether or not you have an opinion on this?

thanks for your time.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 17 2015 19:07:27

MunichLuthier

RE: Eventual end of guitars structur... (in reply to Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

sure, just go on! ;-)

...but just in case that you sometimes fight with intonation, even a pistola can be improved with a small correction.

The sound samples were played by a name-brother of yours: Ricardo Havenstein. The difference between the two is in fact that the spruce wasen't perfectly tuned. Ricardo was on a rush at those days and we had no time to repeat the recording and now he lives back in his home in Argentina and I have to wait for another prfessional guitarist to do me the favour to record something for me.

I have corrected approx. 50 guitars in the past 5 years and the observation is kind of surprising: Not even two guitars showed the same problems, they all had problems independent on the string material and manufacturer. And also some of my guitars have intonation issues and need additional fine tuning. The reason is simple: wood is no homogenuous material, it varies in density, in weight, in flexibility and thus it produces variances. I have messured all 50 guitars and even if they were perfect mm-wise they sometimes had severe intontation issues. My last two guitars I built (one spruce, one cedar) were the same to the 10th of a mm but anyhow, I had to finetune the cedar whilst the spruce was perfect in intonation.

But before you now come to the wrong conclusion "well, then nobody needs your system" I have to say that all guitars that I either built or corrcted were by far better in intonation as the ones that were built according to the standards. But for me, there is no "fence" because any player is free to decide and I know some professional guitarrists that love their guitars and that have developped their playing so that they correct known issues while they play. So they strech or compress the strings in order to produce a correct pitch and they just don't want to re-learn.

I don't want to persuade anybody, but I know that with my system, the guitar would be easier (less efforts to correct intonation) and nicer (audience likes the music better) to play and guitar music would get more touch. ...as I speak of touch, there is one thing never discussed here: I made many tests with my guitars and everytime, we played them to an audience, they gave the feedback that the music played with my guitar would sound sweeter, nicer, "better tell the story of the piece". So there is something beyond what you will measure with your tuners: the feeling that music produces. Just yesterday a player from Vienna picked up his guitar and as he played it, he was overwhelmed because "it sounds much better than before" - the reason simply is that overtones and resonances develop much better.

Cheers!

Michael
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2015 10:38:15

Ruphus

Michael,

Maybe you like to comment to a former post that said:
"Gamba and lute fingerboards had angled frets for centuries. It's nothing new or extraordinary."

I suppose it is the way you calculate and determine the fretting, but you better explain yourself what´s new.

-
Asides: You got mails from me that received no reply so far.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2015 11:27:39

MunichLuthier

Hi again!

The discussion here brought up the idea to record a small video - so I invested some time on the weekend. It shows how to measure and correct intonation issues on existing guitars. It's NOT my patent but a good way to improve intonation without having to replace the entire fretting.

For english speakers, I added some subtitles. Switch on your tuners and check/follow me as you watch the video if you like!

https://youtu.be/PTZ8oVlq390
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2015 11:34:34

Morante

Hola Michael

I am completely in agreement with you. When I bought my Gerundino, he had only 3 left. When my friend John heard the guitar, he flew to Spain and bought the only one left.

Unlike mine, it had some tuning problems, so I suggested we should buy a plastic saddle and make an overhang. This improved the tuning problems greatly.

So I have sent him the URL of your video and now he can make a more precise adjustment.

Mil Gracias.

Morante
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2015 15:42:11

orsonw

Thank you very much for the video Michael.

Not that I ever want to be a luthier, but it amused me that I could barely wait even for 18 mins and kept jumping the video forward! I certainly don't have the temperament for luthiery (no pun intended).

I once received a second hand, name luthier guitar with unplayable intonation. I asked another luthier to move the bridge bone back; this combined with me filing the bridge bone to further lengthen some strings now means the guitar is playable.
I will see if a local luthier can improve things even more at the nut bone with this method.
Does it matter that the bridge was compensated first? I imagine that the bridge bone will simply need readjusting again?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2015 18:30:57

MunichLuthier

RE: Eventual end of guitars structur... (in reply to orsonw

Hi orsonw,

in most cases, setting the saddle like I showed does the job. Usually it takes only a little or no work on the bridge bone thereafter - assuming that the overall setup and measures are more or less correct.

The right way to do is first saddle and once its set, some corrections on the bridge. If one tries to do both at the samt time - fail. If one tries to do first the bridge and then the saddle - fail.

What you can do is not only checking the 7th fret but taking the fith and the 9th and then taking the middle deviation of both measurements. Its important to simulate with those pieces of wood and play the guitar for a while as one will discover one or the other weakness and its very important to do the job with used but not rotten strings and leave them on after the job is done. NEVER do it with new strings!

The good thing is - after the correction or with my patent - that one can use finger sets and open strings that were not possible before because of pitch reasons.

So you can play pieces different than before and you can focus on the musical aspects of a piece and and no longer on its playability. This is at least what Ricardo Havenstein loves most on his corrected guitar now.

... and to Morante: Great that I could "help"! If the guitar does not get fixed properly, send it to me if that is an option!

Cheers! Michael
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2015 18:53:15

Jeff Highland

For me, the need for Nut compensation is determined by the notes at the 1st and second frets, if these are sharp the nut slot height is firstly checked and adjusted, and then if required nut compensation is used.
Notes on the higher frets whether it be 7th or 12th are adjusted by bridge saddle adjustment.
That nut arrangement you have ended up with in the video appears greatly overcompensated , especially on the low E

Michael, not to be picky. your English is great, but in the english speaking world. the bone at the tuner end of the fretboard is referred to as the "nut" and the bone in the bridge as the "saddle" and it would be less confusing if you used those terms when translating.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 18 2015 21:55:38

MunichLuthier

RE: Eventual end of guitars structur... (in reply to Jeff Highland

Hi Jeff, thank you for correcting those words for me and all others!

I don't want to start a discussion with you now, but this guitar was so out of tune that it needed this big piece to get in tune. What the shortening of the string length does is that the string needs lower tension to produce the same tone. So when you measure the 1st fret you get the correction for the entire fretboard.

I have reached the best results when measuring the 7th fret plus some additionall measures at the 5th and the 9th, but nothing against that you do the 1st. I just doubt that you can compensate fret 3 and above by the bridge only. In my experience it saves a lot of effort to first do the nut and then the bridge.

But everyone got to his way of doing it! As long as intonation improves all is fine. In medcine they have a saying "Who heals is right" no matter how and I think we can borrow this.

Cheers - Michael
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2015 8:51:00

Jeff Highland

Michael, my concern is that the extreme amount of nut compensation you have used to get the 7th fret in tune will inevitably leave the lower frets playing flat.
It looks like you have about 2 or 2 1/2 mm on the low E and the D. On normal nylon strings I find that 1mm maximum would be all that is needed and that is on the G string with less on the other strings.

If an instrument is really badly out of tune then it is best to map the strings at all frets before deciding how much compensation is needed and how to split it between nut and saddle.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2015 10:12:53

estebanana

I'm really wishing for the Eventual End of This Thread so we can logically continue with Equal Temperament as the basis for intonating flamenco guitars.
I'm deeply skeptical of proprietary systems as a panacea for intonation issues. We arrived at equal temperament as the gold standard in fret board intonation a long time ago, and no matter how you calculate fret position or temper a fingerboard, somewhere, in some keys you will have intonation discrepancies. This is a fact of the nature of intervalic relationships, they don't add up to perfect concordances and they never will. Every solution to intonation is a compromise, this is also a fact. Solutions to fretted intonation have been offered for hundreds of years, there nothing that has not been developed and tried.

It's also kind of an affront to those of us who maintain a long standing relationship with this website to have a member declare with axe grinding attitude they have discovered an 'Intonation Messiah' and carry on as if none of the long standing members have tried to help guitarists with intonation issues.

This really is not a fair and balanced conversation about the pros and cons of various methods for intonating fretboards. There is a scarcity of the regular guitar building contributors who care to venture into this dispute because they will undoubtedly be called down by the OP the thread as 'dumb asses' and 'liars' (and already have been called fools and asses for no good reason). Still the proprietary system presented remains a mystery and any questioning of how it actually works continues to be deflected.

I think it is important to realize that equal temperament is really the centering device of intonation in modern times and any off shoot or esoteric development is fine, but as a basis for a discussion a thorough understanding of why equal temperament exists is essential before an esoteric variant can be discussed and evaluated seriously.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2015 11:51:06

Ruphus

RE: Eventual end of guitars structur... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

There is a scarcity of the regular guitar building contributors who care to venture into this dispute because they will undoubtedly be called down by the OP the thread as 'dumb asses' and 'liars' (and already have been called fools and asses for no good reason).

Your repeated trials to agitate against me through bullsh!tt!ng and purposefully misleading are not exactly supporting your agenda, but rather displaying you like a grudging paranoid.

Instead you could be bringing forward your own certainly as much as possible equally tempered guitars that would only come close to the intonation of examples presented in this thread.

While you obviously can´t hear the difference, others can.

And besides, isn´t it weird how out of all the egineers among the luthiers in this thread are being open to the eventuality of improved intonation, whereas an expert like you is knowing everything in advance?
Funny coincidence that is.
I have received e-mails saying the same thing, so I am not the only one who noticed this.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2015 13:03:09

estebanana

quote:

You´re repeated trials to agitate against me through bullsh!tt!ng and purposefully misleading are not exactly supporting your agenda, but rather displaying you like a grudging paranoid.

Instead you could be bringing forward your own certainly as much as possible equally tempered guitars that would only come close to the intonation of examples presented in this thread.

While you obviously can´t hear the difference, others can.

And besides, isn´t it weird how out of all the egineers among the luthiers in this thread are being open to the eventuality of improved intonation, whereas an expert like you is knowing everything in advance?
Funny coincidence that is.
I have received e-mails saying the same thing, so I am not the only one who noticed this.

No not really, I'm not purposefully misleading anyone. I'm stating some facts about music. And I don't have an agenda. One cannot express a contrary view point without you having a cow. If some one disagrees with you or your opinion you call them names. You taunted and called the regular guitar makers names through this whole thread. So why bother to call it a fair discussion? Why bother to post these threads if you don't want anyone else's opinions or thoughts?How you extracted that I am paranoid ect. out of my reasonable post calling for a comprehensive look at ET is extraordinary.

I say again, methods of intonation are fine, but it's important to analyze them with the common denominator of equal temperament as the thing we can all agree upon. A common understanding of why equal temperament is important places us all on the same page in a discussion. Otherwise we are only viewing a proprietary system without a greater known common model to make comparisons to and we really don't gain any traction on why or how it works. And this also serves to confuse those who don't make guitars and know the specific theories behind temperament concepts.

I gave up on trying get a fair shake at that angle of the topic. I suppose I could begin a separate thread about my interests, but I am reluctant to do so as I doubt you could keep from meddling with it.

Sad.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2015 14:14:05

Sr. Martins

estebanana, it looks like you're mixing up temperament with intonation.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2015 14:41:46

estebanana

Is that a joke?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2015 15:04:25

Sr. Martins

quote:

Is that a joke?

I didn't watch the whole Ruhe video but I didn't see there any attempt at changing temperament. I think he aims at 12 equal tones as much as anyone else.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2015 15:08:20

estebanana

quote:

I didn't watch the whole Ruhe video but I didn't see there any attempt at changing temperament. I think he aims at 12 equal tones as much as anyone else.

This has not been clarified to me. There are two things being talked about, one is guitars that are having after the fact intonation corrections, and there are many ways to work that out depending on a several thing you look and listen for. The second is proprietary system of Ruhe that is not being explained. Which is fine, but it's not fair to use that as a way of saying those that build without it are not up to speed. There has been insinuation of this and I find it offensive.

My own instruments have pretty good intonation by and large. I have made a few mistakes as everyone does, but I think myself the regular faces of guitar makers who post here don't make guitars with poor intonation. And previous to this thread all of us investigated the methods and practices to get good intonation. We are not on trial here, and I resent this insinuation that we or I need jump on any bandwagon.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2015 16:09:32

MunichLuthier

Hi again!

First to estebana: I think I explained quite well, how my patent works. If you want the exact formula, I can give it to you but you also can just search for my patent No. 10 2007 034 770.9 at the German and European patent office and you will get an in depth explanation.

I also explained it in words in an earlier post, where I described exactly what I do. It feels a bit sad to invest all the time and then find someone beeing sceptic but not using the information given.

Next to Jeff: The image has misslead you, it no more then 1,2 mm on the 6th string - you can't see that the front of theat piece of bone is filed as / and not as | so the actual shortening is less than the piece of bone. I do this to give it more stability. And may I ask how many guitars you have corrected because I have some 10 years experience now and I am gladly discussing but want to be sure that I discuss on a "knowing" and not "guessing" - don't get me wrong please, but I have to use my time carefully.

And to the obvious endless discussion of equal temperament and who is correcting what: I stay within the equal temperament, because we are all playing an instrument, where the tones are fixed by frets and not on a fretless instrument. I said this already. So as for some 350 or 400 years already, equal temperament is the only way to go and who discusses this should please first read the books. Sorry for sounding upset, but I have had so many discussions and so often it turned out that people did not have the basics. So if someone puts the equal temperament in question, please safe our time!

So as we are within the equal temperament, we all have the issue that it is good on some keys and bad on others - NO ONE can change that!

Saying that an intonation improvement is not neccessary, as equal temperament is an issue by itself may be acceptable, but guitars do not even fit the equal temperament in their pitch. And there is a lot of space for improvements on guitars to close the gaps that they have compared to this tonal system.

I do not accuse anybody and I have never said, that other luthiers don't do their jobs. But I have corrected guitars worth above 10.000 EUR with poor intonation - but you will never find the makers name in any of my reports! So I never blame others but yes, many could have done what I do now. But believe me: NO ONE DID! Do you know that the patent office checks for more then 6 months if there is any publiction or other invention before they file yours?! So estebana, you are wrong if you say that others have done the same previously!

So, now I go into my workshop again! All of you have a nice evening and pls forgive, if I sounded a bit upset!

Cheers - Michael
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2015 16:11:36

Sr. Martins

Please guys, let's not assume anything based on "3rd party re-interpretations and add-ons".

estebanana, I understand your "frustration" but I've been following this thread and Iam pretty sure that Ruhe has nothing to do with the crap statements that were "supported" by his methods.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2015 16:43:27

johnguitar

Stephen, anyone who is selling something has to convince us that it is necesary or desirable. One way to do that is by discrediting our methods. This reminds me of the thread on black diamond saddles. I have run seriously afoul of certain people by calling them on their untruths or hidden agenda. I am more inclined to stay out it now. Hope all is well with you. I assume you saw the cool rosette on this Manuel de la chica? http://www.granadaexpert.com/johnray/for-sale-1954-manuel-de-la-chica/img_5476/

John Ray
https://www.johnguitar.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2015 17:17:30

Ruphus

In case that you didn´t notice: Michael went nowhere to convince anyone.

It has been me who draw attention to his scale, and you are just badmouthing, appearing in a light worse than the one you have just been trying to impose on him.

If you nay-sayers weren´t so determined on rejecting you could had just been interested in checking out what the matter is about, which would had allowed a much more constructive discussion.
- Which might be coming up still though, should Michael take the time to concretely address all the objections made.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 19 2015 17:29:35
Page:   <<   <   3 4 5 [6] 7    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   3 4 5 [6] 7    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote