Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Eventual end of guitars structural intonation issue   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

El Kiko

RE: Eventual end of guitars structur... (in reply to Sr. Martins

oops sorry wondered if it had came up ..
i was looking for a video i saw a while ago with similar but on an acoustic guitar but couldnt find it ,, and remembered that instead

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2015 21:37:03

Sr. Martins

RE: Eventual end of guitars structur... (in reply to El Kiko

I've posted 2 videos with classicals on that other thread about tuning, maybe those are the ones?

"Ya no me conoce el sol, porque yo duermo de dia"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2015 21:40:06

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sr. Martins

quote:

Steve Vai has one here...

Ahah, that's the video I mentioned on the other thread.

Major fail by little Stevie @2:20... just listen to what he says and what he does.

The placebo pills where also strong on that one. Maybe he mixed them with something else..

So now, instead of a guitar that has a chord here or there a little off...EVERY CHORD he just played sounded out of tune baddly.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2015 21:41:48

Sr. Martins

RE: Eventual end of guitars structur... (in reply to Ricardo

I'll let that one pass, probably he didn't have the guitar tuned properly to Feiten and since it was a new toy (I guess)...

Playing A SINGLE note and claiming to hear it much more vibrant and in tune.... in tune with what?? Loool

But hey, Steve Vai must know better than me.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2015 21:53:23

Escribano

quote:

So now, instead of a guitar that has a chord here or there a little off...EVERY CHORD he just played sounded out of tune baddly

I think the A chord was in tune I hate that Ibanez 80's BS myself.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 8 2015 22:39:43

estebanana

There is no magic bullet when it comes to intonation.

These kinds of discussions that begin with false and untrue premise are exceedingly difficult to abide with.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2015 0:02:44

Jeff Highland

Yep
Before you worry about intonation, you have to set the goalposts for what is ideal, and for me that is 12 tone equal temperament.
It involves compromises to 3rd and 5th intervals etc, but it is the only temperament that allows for playing in all keys.

It is easy with nut and saddle compensation to get a guitar to play fairly accurately in tune to this 12TET

Calling it moving the frets is just another perspective, you still generally end up shortening the distance between nut and 1st fret and lengthening the distance between 12th and saddle.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2015 6:38:46

Ruphus

Things being relative doesn´t mean that they ought to be futile. There always is a better or worse.

When I was visiting one of two best reputated guitar stores in Berlin over the course of two or three weeks (trying out their upper shelve, having sent in additional specimens from distributors, etc. pp.) the guitar which in the end appealed the most had only one little defect, which was its intonation.

Even though their staff was exceptionally well informed and all accomplished players in the same time, none of the three or four would hear what I was faulting. I had to ask them to engage their Boss tuner for them to realize the imperfection. They then adjusted on the saddle and I bought the instrument.

It wasn´t the only situation where I would verifiably hear details that others don´t.
It doesn´t mean however that you couldn´t conceive the overall effects of better intonating or better tuned guitars.

From there I take it that most of you couldn´t be bothered with listening to the sound samples with Ruhe´s fingerboard.
And it wouldn´t surprise, for after years now I somewhat know the typical reaction of online fellow guitarists when presented something they ought to have yet not paid attention to. Usually it is rejection from the get go and not bothering to truley check out on anything. Investing way more energy in constructing defence than in checking out.

None of which, besides, has happened with fellow musicians vis-a-vis. With persons opposite it has always ended up with appreciating niceties that I was able to share regarding things like posture, technique or tuning. With at times even later feedback on dramatic effect.
Repercussions I have seen only seldomly within internet communities, where a joint rejection of content-related new kids on the block must be feeling so much better.

So, guys, if interested in eventual improving even already great sounding guitars from your bench, you may contact Ruhe and see what may or may not come out from it, or alternatively wait and see what Ethan will reflect who as an engineer is in a position to wrap his head around the matter; if not interested in either; humble me will probably survive another dismiss of well-intentioned suggestion.

All I can say is that I have not yet heard a guitar intonating as accurately like in those sound clips.
Apparently the reason why the artist and owner of the refretted guitar is so spirited about it.

But you may chalk us up as dumb esoterics. I can take it, the more as it is contents that interest me the most.

Cheers,

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2015 9:12:52

El Kiko

RE: Eventual end of guitars structur... (in reply to Jeff Highland

yes , funny thing is that all of the instruments are kind of built out of tune , to fit the even temperment ...except fretless stuff and sliding stuff , like a trombone ... but even they have to play 'in tune' with other instrument using Even temprement .

technically only octaves .. 4ths and 5ths ... hence perfect are 'on tune' the rest is all dedicated to the Pythagoras comma ...

we did tune a harpsichord once to perfect tuning and the pieces sounded nice and mellow ,,In C major ..
however if you started to change key using 1 sharp (Gmaj) or 1 flat (F maj) it was pretty nasty real quick .. you could get away with 1 accidental ,, maybe 2 at a push but 3 was horrendous .....still, good experiment ....

the way western music is built is the way we are now used to hearing it .. people tune pianos by ear ... in even temprement .. ie.. the hear out of tune ??

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2015 15:03:11

Jeff Highland

I used to tune Harmonicas, and even there you were faced with what temperament you used. The Hohner "Marine band" were close to just tuning whereas their "Special 20" was equal temperament.
Most people considered the chords on the marine band sounded sweeter.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2015 20:23:35

Sr. Martins

quote:

Most people considered the chords on the marine band sounded sweeter.

Yes, but only in that tonality. Should sound more peaceful.

With Just you have a "solid" tonality experience that you won't have with 12TET since the harmony is still functional but the chords all have the same note distance structure.

Luckily it's not a better vs worse kind of situation, there are many genres of music and all the temperaments are man made so... fretless is the key to the universe.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2015 21:16:43

Jeff Highland

Yes, and the guitar with its geometric progression of frets is a natural for 12TET
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2015 21:27:51

Jeff Highland

The concept of moving the fret locations to improve intonation is not new anyhow. Greg Byers notes that John Gilbert was doing it before the 1980's.
http://www.byersguitars.com/Research/intonation.pdf
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2015 21:44:34

constructordeguitarras

Wow, that's a good and thorough article by Greg Byers. Thanks for giving the link.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2015 2:36:03

estebanana

quote:

The concept of moving the fret locations to improve intonation is not new anyhow. Greg Byers notes that John Gilbert was doing it before the 1980's.
http://www.byersguitars.com/Research/intonation.pdf

This is true and the music theorist Juan Bermudo published a book about this in 1550 in Osuna Spain.

This is not new. We've known about this for 500 years. The book is available online for free translated into English.

None of this is new, none of this is new. None of this is new.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2015 4:21:07

Jeff Highland

quote:

Absolutely, just poorly understood by many and that is exploited by the crooked fret charlatans
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2015 7:18:57

Ruphus

Thank you for the Byers article.
As versed with mathematics like some with reading texts I had to skip the formula sections, though.
So, I suppose me / respectively Ruhe stand corrected with the idea that intelligent shifting of frets could spare you nut and bridge compensation for most accurate results.
Already very impressed with Ruhe´s results I would be really interested in hearing a Byers guitar.

I missed the part however where Byers would be saying that aiming for accuracy made no sense, because of different keys.

Besides, nice to see how Byers found my favorite set of strings (Augustine Blue with Regal trebles) most consistent in intonation, while I never understood the prefrence among flamencos in Hannover and in guitar communities for the Addarios. Just the lame basses alone ...
-

I wrote Ruhe on Friday to join the round. He might be in the weekend.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2015 9:35:26

estebanana

quote:

quote:

Absolutely, just poorly understood by many and that is exploited by the crooked fret charlatans

Yes exactly and why this is so disturbing.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2015 10:04:53

estebanana

The hilarious thing however is that anyone who knows anything about flamenco knows that if you have a guitar that is intonated well in the standard way, that you put a cejilla on the third, forth, fifth fret and then pull the strings until it sounds good and in tune for the key of the palo that you are going to play in.

These expositions of "I'm so delicate I need special intonation" are for those how don't grasp flamenco or how to tune a normal guitar to play a particular palo.

The truth.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2015 12:26:53

Ruphus

Got to correct myself.
After talking back to a friend about Byers´ article, it became clear to me that Byers still is not considering to find a solution through adapting frets placement. He seems to have not considered all options, but concentrated exclusively on saddle and nut compensation.

The thing about optimized fret placement would be that it wouldn´t matter where you put your capo.

But maybe I have been speaking Chinese in this thread, so what can you do.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2015 18:14:45

Sr. Martins

RE: Eventual end of guitars structur... (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

Got to correct myself.
After talking back to a friend about Byers´ article, it became clear to me that Byers still is not considering to find a solution through adapting frets placement. He seems to have not considered all options, but concentrated exclusively on saddle and nut compensation.

Although you've corrected yourself, Iam sure everything I've said is still wrong to you (how's that possible? I Don't know).

quote:

The thing about optimized fret placement would be that it wouldn´t matter where you put your capo.

Great.. than anyone who doesn't use a capo won't have any issues with intonation lol

Dude, you should really study that math you said you skipped over. A bit of physics wouldn't hurt either.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2015 18:26:35

Ruphus

Why are you not in a position to read? And why must you bother people when you can´t?

I corrected my reaction on the the Byers article, as he had actually not tinkered with what Ruhe has.

It had nothing to do with your blind and unrelated "reactions" on things that must be taking place in a parallel universe.

>sigh<

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2015 18:33:48

Sr. Martins

RE: Eventual end of guitars structur... (in reply to Ruphus

I thought you had finally seen part of the light.. too bad.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2015 18:39:05

Jeff Highland

Capo's are always going to be a problem. neither nut and saddle compensation nor modified fret placement are going to completely fix it.
One of the components of playing the guitar which creates extra string tension and sharpening is your finger pushing down the string between frets to create a positive stop.
When you uses a capo, if you apply it carefully to a well intonated guitar, the open strings on the capo may be closer to in tune, but then you play it and the strings you fret are getting a double push, once from the capo and once from your finger.
So it won't be perfect, live with it, that's a tradeoff for the versatility a capo provides.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2015 21:05:21

estebanana

quote:

Capo's are always going to be a problem. neither nut and saddle compensation nor modified fret placement are going to completely fix it.
One of the components of playing the guitar which creates extra string tension and sharpening is your finger pushing down the string between frets to create a positive stop.
When you uses a capo, if you apply it carefully to a well intonated guitar, the open strings on the capo may be closer to in tune, but then you play it and the strings you fret are getting a double push, once from the capo and once from your finger.
So it won't be perfect, live with it, that's a tradeoff for the versatility a capo provides.

Yes this is true, in flamenco the cejilla is so important especially in accompaniment, and the real measure of a flamenco player is how well they accompany.

Learning to put the cejilla on the guitar while distorting the strings as little as possible is a minor skill to be learned. The amount of tension in the band that straps the cejilla to the neck needs to be carefully tried until it is just right.

I like the cejilla not only for the way it changes the timber, sound quality and pulsation of the guitar in different registers, ( frets position) but also for the way you adjust the intonation by pushing and pulling the strings after you put the cejilla on.

The interesting thing this how you tune to play Por Medio and make it sound good is different than how you tune to play Por Arriba. By tuning close in on the A major chord when you play por medio it creates a fluent harmony through the series of A phrygian intervals and chords.

It pretty interesting that flamenco is one of the few musics that today in which we use our ear tuning to focus in on how we hear and adjust harmony in a particular key as we play. And we change that harmonic relationship in a subtle way when we change to a different key.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 11 2015 0:08:48

Jeff Highland

Yes that is taking it to the next level, beyond what getting the basic intonation of the instrument "right" achieves.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 11 2015 2:49:49

Ricardo

RE: Eventual end of guitars structur... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

quote:

Yes this is true, in flamenco the cejilla is so important especially in accompaniment, and the real measure of a flamenco player is how well they accompany.

Learning to put the cejilla on the guitar while distorting the strings as little as possible is a minor skill to be learned. The amount of tension in the band that straps the cejilla to the neck needs to be carefully tried until it is just right.

I like the cejilla not only for the way it changes the timber, sound quality and pulsation of the guitar in different registers, ( frets position) but also for the way you adjust the intonation by pushing and pulling the strings after you put the cejilla on.

The interesting thing this how you tune to play Por Medio and make it sound good is different than how you tune to play Por Arriba. By tuning close in on the A major chord when you play por medio it creates a fluent harmony through the series of A phrygian intervals and chords.

It pretty interesting that flamenco is one of the few musics that today in which we use our ear tuning to focus in on how we hear and adjust harmony in a particular key as we play. And we change that harmonic relationship in a subtle way when we change to a different key.

Well, I for one take some issues here and there...I know this is quite the "normal" view of things. When jeff highland says "string tension and sharpening" refering to fretting, I get the feeling that most people feel that applying finger pressure or capo pressure, may only result in SHARPENING frequencies/notes, other wise intented to have been "equal tempered" as per initial tunign of the instrument....but actually it can go in the other direction, that being a flattening of the pitch as well. It depends on how one executes the "fretting" activity.

To me, the capo is to be taken as "the nut", unlike when when we use a first finger barre and do work with our other fingers as chords or notes of a melody. Most of us have the ear for the modern day "autotuned" pop singer...the equivilant could work on a guitar and one could see how carelessly placed fingers can require corrections to an other wise "in tune" guitar. Perhaps more obvious to a fretless instrument (I saw this done with fretless bass playing) or vocal, but regardless are we talking here about instrument construction, tuning method, or TECHNIQUE???

I know the EVIL temptation to sweet tune por medio vs por arriba, etc...what is being done here is NOT well or just tempermant for a key or form...it is a well temperment for a SPECIFIC GUITAR CHORD VOICING...that is something quite different in my mind. You sweeten a certain chord shape, and all chords in that key that use the SAME VOICING will be equally sweet. But to see that bad logic behind it for flamenco...just look at solea por medio. If you drop the B string to sweeten the third, except for A and Bb, all the rest of the tonos are off and the singer sounds off too.

I have learned over years of experience to simply equal temp tune AFTER capo goes on, using harmonics. No fingers on the fingerboard to tune open strings. The rest is technque.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 11 2015 22:35:10

Sr. Martins

quote:

I have learned over years of experience to simply equal temp tune AFTER capo goes on, using harmonics. No fingers on the fingerboard to tune open strings. The rest is technque.

That and making sure that the "biggest errors" are on the flatter side. It's easy to compensate by sharpening a note or two with bending within a chord but having to flatten a note to make the chord sound good... that's not a good plan.

Also, there's no eventual end of anything by applying compensation only to the nut and saddle while keeping straight parallel frets. At best you could lessen the deviations but that's pretty much what all of those "better intonation" concepts do.

"If it bothers you so much, leave the guitar and go play something else... maybe soccer."

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 11 2015 23:24:50

estebanana

quote:

Well, I for one take some issues here and there...I know this is quite the "normal" view of things. When jeff highland says "string tension and sharpening" refering to fretting, I get the feeling that most people feel that applying finger pressure or capo pressure, may only result in SHARPENING frequencies/notes, other wise intented to have been "equal tempered" as per initial tunign of the instrument....but actually it can go in the other direction, that being a flattening of the pitch as well. It depends on how one executes the "fretting" activity.

To me, the capo is to be taken as "the nut", unlike when when we use a first finger barre and do work with our other fingers as chords or notes of a melody. Most of us have the ear for the modern day "autotuned" pop singer...the equivilant could work on a guitar and one could see how carelessly placed fingers can require corrections to an other wise "in tune" guitar. Perhaps more obvious to a fretless instrument (I saw this done with fretless bass playing) or vocal, but regardless are we talking here about instrument construction, tuning method, or TECHNIQUE???

I know the EVIL temptation to sweet tune por medio vs por arriba, etc...what is being done here is NOT well or just tempermant for a key or form...it is a well temperment for a SPECIFIC GUITAR CHORD VOICING...that is something quite different in my mind. You sweeten a certain chord shape, and all chords in that key that use the SAME VOICING will be equally sweet. But to see that bad logic behind it for flamenco...just look at solea por medio. If you drop the B string to sweeten the third, except for A and Bb, all the rest of the tonos are off and the singer sounds off too.

Well now you've busted me as I succumb to the Evil temptation of tuning my A chord nice nice. Of course for a guy like me it is wonderful as I can only play A and E chords!

Seriously, do you think there is a happy medium between stretching the tuning out to make chords other than the tonic voicing play in wonky intervals, and putting tiny bit of sugar on the I-V relationship?

BTW I'm on board with Equal temperament and have no argument about that. The thing I've been sort of dancing around to try to be polite is the fact that there is a whole discipline in music that is a study of temperance and if you have read into it you can find throughout the history one nuttbag after another who tries to proclaim his proprietary system works. (All of this is temperance and not compensation. Two separate issues.)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 12 2015 0:03:31

Ricardo

quote:

That and making sure that the "biggest errors" are on the flatter side. It's easy to compensate by sharpening a note or two with bending within a chord but having to flatten a note to make the chord sound good... that's not a good plan.

Depends on the voicing. Can be just as easy to flatten a note by pushing in direction of bridge. Here is an easy example:

x

the third of the chord (C#) on the 11th fret is easily manipulated. A careless pull toward nut direction and it is awful, too hard a push toward bridge and it's sickeningly sweet. Then you have your unision and octive to mess with the other fingers. Good times.

I think a lot of players, especially coming from electric guitar school, think vibrato is only bending and releasing. that only makes notes sharp and then back to pitch. That's why they invented wammy bars. Nylon players should figure it out quick that vibrato should be changing pitch above and BELOW the target note, by rocking the finger side to side (nut to bridge direction), NOT bend and release only. That side to side thing shows why you need to learn how to also PLAY in tune as much as possible.

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 12 2015 0:10:23
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message