Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Mathematics: created or discovered?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Richard Jernigan

Mathematics: created or discovered? 

Here's a Public Broadcasting Service video on the subject:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365464997/

It gives the views of a number of eminent scientists and engineers. I like the formulation arrived at near the end.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2015 22:11:57

Sr. Martins

RE: Mathematics: created or discovered? (in reply to Richard Jernigan

Haven't watched the video yet but to me, Math is art + science.. maybe I should call it "scientific art"

That being said, I believe it's one of those arts where the "go by feeling" approach will always fail miserably
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2015 22:31:16

El Kiko

D'OH ...

We're sorry, but this video is not available in your region due to right restrictions.

is what I get .....so secretive is maths ..........

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2015 23:31:09

Sr. Martins

RE: Mathematics: created or discovered? (in reply to El Kiko

quote:

We're sorry, but this video is not available in your region due to right restrictions.

Yeap, they are sorry and so am I.

No class today.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2015 23:51:06

Richard Jernigan

For those unable to access the video, a few comments. An interesting segment details experiments showing that primates, as well as some other animals, are sensitive to quantity, being able to choose consistently displays containing fewer objects, rather than simultaneous displays of a larger number of similar objects. When humans are given the same task, required to respond before they have time to count, they do about as well as rhesus monkeys.

The human tale of mathematics begins with Pythagoras, and comes as far as the science of the Large Hadron Collider and the engineering of the Curiosity Mars Rover. Working mathematicians assert strongly that mathematics is discovered, based on personal experience. Wolfram, on the other hand, asserts that mathematics is a human creation, and that physics is mathematical only because physicists have chosen to study phenomena that are accessible to mathematics. Positions between these two extremes are represented as well.

The formulation I like best was expressed by an astronomer. Mathematical concepts are human creations. (I would extend the honor of authorship possibly to our hominid ancestors.) The relationships among the concepts are discovered.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2015 0:42:14

Sr. Martins

quote:

Working mathematicians assert strongly that mathematics is discovered, based on personal experience. Wolfram, on the other hand, asserts that mathematics is a human creation

What? Wait.. that doesn't add up

Is there any kind of personal experience that is not a human creation?

Maybe those mathematicians were aliens, that adds up!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2015 1:21:08

Richard Jernigan

RE: Mathematics: created or discovered? (in reply to Sr. Martins

You wake up in the morning and discover it is a sunny day. Then you create your breakfast from the ingredients at hand. Each is in some sense an experience, but in English at any rate, they are seen as different kinds of experience.

Some mathematicians might say that Fourier series were discovered. Joseph Fourier himself might have thought he had a creative hand in it, though the trigonometric functions that figure in Fourier series had been around for some time. Fourier was an engineer. The socially superior professors in the Academie thought for quite a while that he was wrong.

I'm sure that R.L.Moore considered that his purely topological characterization of the Euclidean plane was a creative work, though I suspect Moore was decidedly Platonist early in his career.

Hubert S. Wall titled his calculus text "Creative Mathematics." Wall said that some mathematicians thought of their work as looking through a bunch of facts (he would gesture as though opening file drawers in his forehead) and trying to fit them together, while others (himself included, though he never said so) were more like painters or poets who tried to make something new and beautiful.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2015 4:35:57

Ruphus

Dogs have a cognition comparable to that of two year old children. And lately it was reported that average dogs can count to five as well.

Aside of a little exception with geometry I have always been a mathematical dumb, yet, dare to say that it would appear only sane to me to assume that mathematics have been both matter of discovery as well as of creation.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2015 9:27:07

Ricardo

Cool...right along the lines of this discussion, especially at 1:24:00 or so to about 1:27:00....but the whole program touches on good stuff.

I didn't hear your program but maybe it was the same physicist? Cuz he says the same thing...human concept is an invention which LEADS to discoveries.

http://youtu.be/DfY-DRsE86s

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2015 15:13:34

BarkellWH

Finally got around to viewing the entire program. Very interesting. And a perfect example of the value of Public Broadcasting. Themes like that (which complemented our discussion of the subject on the Foro) would never be produced for commercial broadcast. The audience would be too small to draw in advertisers.

I actually watch Nova fairly regularly, but I had not seen this one. It may have been shown when I was out of the country on some gig. Thanks for posting it, Richard.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2015 18:22:09

Richard Jernigan

RE: Mathematics: created or discovered? (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

Cool...right along the lines of this discussion, especially at 1:24:00 or so to about 1:27:00....but the whole program touches on good stuff.

I didn't hear your program but maybe it was the same physicist? Cuz he says the same thing...human concept is an invention which LEADS to discoveries.

http://youtu.be/DfY-DRsE86s

You keep coming up with good stuff, Ricardo. Thanks.

I got about half way through the video before it was time to do something else, but I plan to finish it. Minsky is always good for some original points of view. All of the panelists and the moderator are interesting talkers.

Gödel's proof pretty well dynamited formalism, but as far as I am concerned the debate is still open concerning what it means about "truth."

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2015 17:13:57

tri7/5

That was a great NOVA segment and not something to watch if you don't want to ponder the mysteries of the universe for hours on end. Unfortunately I only got to see about 30 minutes of it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2015 18:59:37

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Jernigan

Gödel's proof pretty well dynamited formalism, but as far as I am concerned the debate is still open concerning what it means about "truth."

RNJ

As it happens, the first time I stopped watching the video was just before the physicist and the philosopher said the same thing, in more detail and more eloquently. Chaitin, the mathematician, worries a great deal about the failure of formalism, saying, "Now we don't know what mathematics is!"

The physicist replies, (I paraphrase) "That hasn't stopped mathematics from further development. In physics there is at least one very serious problem with the foundations of quantum mechanics, but we still keep learning more about the universe by applying mathematics to physics."

We hunger and thirst after certainty like the Old Testament prophets hungered and thirsted after righteousness. At times each of these desires has led us astray.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2015 22:51:45

Ricardo

quote:

quote:

RNJ

As it happens, the first time I stopped watching the video was just before the physicist and the philosopher said the same thing, in more detail and more eloquently. Chaitin, the mathematician, worries a great deal about the failure of formalism, saying, "Now we don't know what mathematics is!"

The physicist replies, (I paraphrase) "That hasn't stopped mathematics from further development. In physics there is at least one very serious problem with the foundations of quantum mechanics, but we still keep learning more about the universe by applying mathematics to physics."

We hunger and thirst after certainty like the Old Testament prophets hungered and thirsted after righteousness. At times each of these desires has led us astray.

RNJ

And I finally finished watching your NOVA program, and by no coincidence it WAS the same physicist in both programs (Mario Livio). At one point the math guy does admit he is sort of exagerating his position as a way to sort of "represent" what he thinks Gødel would have thought....but at one point the philosopher and he disagree about what the Gødel proof actually is SAYING...which of the two would you agree with? (1:13:15)

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2015 23:07:52

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

And I finally finished watching your NOVA program, and by no coincidence it WAS the same physicist in both programs (Mario Livio). At one point the math guy does admit he is sort of exagerating his position as a way to sort of "represent" what he thinks Gødel would have thought....but at one point the philosopher and he disagree about what the Gødel proof actually is SAYING...which of the two would you agree with? (1:13:15)

Ricardo

I don't agree with either one of them. Chaitin says that Gödel showed that mathematics can't provide us with certainty because it's not a formal system.

The philosopher Goldstein says she believes Gödel would say that mathematics provides us with certainty despite not being a formal system.

What Gödel would have said is beyond me. What he proved was that you could not demonstrate the consistency of a formal system rich enough to produce arithmetic, within the system itself. That is, within such a system, following the rules of grammar, their is always a recipe for constructing contradictory propositions whose validity is undecidable by the rules of the system.

I emphasize that this is a proof about formal systems, which are not the same thing as all of mathematics. "Validity" in formal systems was meant to behave like "truth". But they are not the same thing. It's sort of like calling a place on a Monopoly board a piece of real estate. Park Place may have many of the characteristics of real estate, but you can't actually check into a hotel on the Monopoly board.

There's a little book about Godel's proofs by Ernest Nagel and James Newman that gives a clear and detailed exposition of these ideas. The latest edition has slight revisions and a lively foreword by Douglas R. Hofstadter, the author of "Gödel, Escher, Bach, the Eternal Golden Braid." Hofstadter knew the Nagels when he was a boy, and was strongly influenced by his association with Ernest.

Perhaps in his later philosophical essays Gödel may have proposed that mathematics could provide certainty, but I haven't read those essays.

I don't believe mathematics by itself can provide certainty, except in the thoroughly abstract sense of, "If those axioms are true, then these theorems follow." Most of the widely received body of mathematics now in use provides this sort of certainty, though I would bet a few invalid proofs have managed to slide by

The mismatches among Newtonian, Einsteinian and quantum mechanical physics are well known. Each is a fully developed mathematical system. Newtonian and Einsteinian physics fit together neatly at the limit of speeds much slower than light. Relativity and quantum mechanics demonstrate jarring incompatibilities at small distance scales. Both are fully mathematical theories. Their incompatibility is at the mathematical level.

Many working physicists bleep right over the "measurement problem" at the heart of quantum mechanics. When do you apply a linear operator to "collapse" the wave function? And just as importantly, why does it work?

Anyone who has spent serious time working in engineering will be deeply conscious of the fact that all of our measurements and essentially all of our calculated results are approximate. Leaving out the significant probability of simply doing something wrong, almost all of our calculating work potentially suffers the problem of the weather forecasting system. Eventually the weather forecast diverges from observations, despite the validity of the scientific model--valid as far as we know.

Quantum electrodynamics is a marvelously capable and precise theory. Its predictions agree with experimental measurements within one part in a trillion. As far as we know, quantum electrodynamics is right. As far as we know.

That's about as certain as we have managed to be about physical reality. But a lot of people argue over exactly what is physical reality, when you get down to the sub-subatomic level.

Heisenberg finessed this question in the first successful formulation of quantum mechanics. He predicted later measurements from earlier ones, without saying anything about what happened in between. Schrödinger proved that Heisenberg's formulation is mathematically equivalent to the most popular form in use nowadays, with the wave function, etc....

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2015 3:36:30

Ricardo

quote:

Anyone who has spent serious time working in engineering will be deeply conscious of the fact that all of our measurements and essentially all of our calculated results are approximate. Leaving out the significant probability of simply doing something wrong, almost all of our calculating work potentially suffers the problem of the weather forecasting system. Eventually the weather forecast diverges from observations, despite the validity of the scientific model--valid as far as we know.

Well, as my dad used to say..."well it's close enough for horse shoes and hand grenades".

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2015 1:41:44

Richard Jernigan

The Navy machinist's mantra, "Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, and cut it with an axe."

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2015 4:06:33

BarkellWH

quote:

Well, as my dad used to say..."well it's close enough for horse shoes and hand grenades".

Not to mention the old saw (and here I implicate my own career and ongoing consulting): "It's close enough for government work."

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 22 2015 11:03:36
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages