Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Musical Knowledge   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Sr. Martins

Musical Knowledge 

Has anyone noticed that guitar players are the stereotype for the "theory is bad for your creativity"?

I don't know any other art form where people would advocate that it's better to not study what others have done before you, know the rudiments of each style, the mindset behind, etc.... and recently I've found out that even electronic music people have an open mind for knowledge and kinda "mock" guitar players for the "dude, it's all in the fingers" mentality.

Why do you think this happens?

Do you know of any other art forms (painting, sculpture, writing, etc) where you can find strong "factions" suggesting that a blank canvas / "no boundaries" mindset is the way to go?

I have some ideas about this but I would like to hear yours.

(No flamenco talk, please.)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2015 19:38:31

BarkellWH

RE: Musical Knowledge (in reply to Sr. Martins

quote:

Has anyone noticed that guitar players are the stereotype for the "theory is bad for your creativity"?

I don't know any other art form where people would advocate that it's better to not study what others have done before you, know the rudiments of each style....

At the risk of sounding pedantic and nitpicky, and perhaps of being "off the reservation" entirely, I would pose this question, Sr. Martins: Are you sure you are not conflating two different things when you speak of "theory" and studying "what others have done before you, knowing the rudiments of each style, etc"? It seems to me that musical theory and studying what blues, jazz, and other genres of guitar playing have accomplished in the past are two different things. Or am I wrong?

Just bringing up a thought for which, if I am wrong, I would gladly stand corrected.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2015 20:58:58

Sr. Martins

RE: Musical Knowledge (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

Are you sure you are not conflating two different things when you speak of "theory" and studying "what others have done before you, knowing the rudiments of each style, etc"?

I wrote both to make clear the whole spectrum of what I meant.

By musical knowledge I mean everything that helps one to dissect works from others and if I only said "theory", a lot of people would think of just scales/chords/etc in an academic fashion. In the end it should mean the same but the word "theory" seems to have a dubious meaning when it comes to music... specially among guitar players.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2015 21:09:30

tele

For me the main thing when playing is to know and feel the fretboard when creating music and improvising, when I start to think, especially when improvising, things become difficult and worse sounding. I think the more theory one knows the better, as long as it doesn't make your playing by feel worse.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2015 21:20:51

Sr. Martins

RE: Musical Knowledge (in reply to tele

quote:

For me the main thing when playing is to know and feel the fretboard when creating music and improvising, when I start to think, especially when improvising, things become difficult and worse sounding

Try to think of this subject as Music being something that is played with instruments, without the instrument being the end in itself (although I think this is a big part of the reason behind the matter).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2015 21:24:22

Leñador

If not knowing theory makes you more creative I should be pumpin out Paco caliber material.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2015 21:39:53

tele

RE: Musical Knowledge (in reply to Leñador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leñador

If not knowing theory makes you more creative I should be pumpin out Paco caliber material.

Eres flamenquito puro

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2015 22:45:42

Sr. Martins

Here's an interesting read that goes along with the topic: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/music_theory/6_things_most_guitar_players_dont_understand_about_music_theory.html

The main question still stands as "Why guitar players are seen as the bunch of musicians/instrumentists/composers who love music but don't want to study it and know about it?"

What do you think are the reasons for this resistance?

Thinking of it, it's like a guy who calls himself a photography lover but then says "No no, I don't want to know anything about lenses/filters/composition or any of that photography theory... I just grab my phone, point & shoot"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 16:18:13

Leñador

I think it's because the guitar is hands down THE most popular instrument to play. Most people just wanna learn enough guitar to look cool at parties/get chicks. So that's what they do, no need for them to learn theory, mission accomplished after learning just a few chords.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 17:59:19

tele

RE: Musical Knowledge (in reply to Leñador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leñador

I think it's because the guitar is hands down THE most popular instrument to play. Most people just wanna learn enough guitar to look cool at parties/get chicks. So that's what they do, no need for them to learn theory, mission accomplished after learning just a few chords.

Or they think they're too cool to study?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 18:02:08

Leñador

I actually know someone who's opposite, he knows theory pretty well but can't hardly play ironman. It's dinner to read about theory than just play for him.....

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 18:07:42

Sr. Martins

People see a guy sitting at the piano or holding a saxophone and immediately think "This guy must know his ****" without him playing a single note...

We see a guy playing all the cool licks at warp speed on guitar and still have no idea if he's into studying music or if he's just a guitarhero (game)/tab/fingerings kind of player.

To worsen things, guitar players tend to brag about not knowing a thing about music... it's annoying and it has the effect of making other people think "oh boy, one of those... it's gonna be a long night" instead of thinking you're a genious. Reminds me of people who ask me to fix their computer and while Iam doing it, they just sit next to me and brag about not knowing a thing about computers...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 18:46:45

BarkellWH

quote:

We see a guy playing all the cool licks at warp speed on guitar and still have no idea if he's into studying music or if he's just a guitarhero (game)/tab/fingerings kind of player.

If he's playing as well as you describe him above, to the point where you can't tell if he's into studying music or not, does it matter? If he's playing that well, what difference does it make?

Were many of the old-time blues guitarists, such as Big Bill Broonzy, Robert Johnson, Furry Lewis, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Willie McTell, and others into studying music and learning theory? Or did they learn to play without learning much of the theory, but they played so damn well that we still appreciate their playing today?

I think I understand what you're driving at, and obviously it is a burr under your saddle. But again, my question is, if they are "playing all the cool licks at warp speed on guitar" (to quote you above), what difference does it make whether or not they studied "music" or "theory." I don't think your analogy of a "photographer" grabbing a phone to "point and shoot" applies with regard to guitarists such as those listed above, or those of other genres who play well (not just "point and shoot") but might not have studied much music or theory, if they studied it at all.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 19:05:36

Sr. Martins

@BarkellWH

You clearly don't get it and I think there's no way for you to get it.. mostly because you don't want to, honestly.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 19:09:27

BarkellWH

quote:

You clearly don't get it and I think there's no way for you to get it.. mostly because you don't want to, honestly.

Oh, I get it alright, Sr. Martins. Don't flatter yourself by thinking I don't understand what you're driving at. I understand very well what your driving at. What I am doing is questioning the basic premise of your comment.

It seems to upset you when someone disagrees with, or questions, your comments. Rather than engage a different point of view, you conveniently avoid such discussion by dismissing any question or disagreement as "not getting it."

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 19:30:06

El Kiko

While there are some great players that did not learn much theory, if any , Django comes to mind .. I think that the artical in question is erroneous and slightly misguided ..
I do not know any guitarists that are any good that have no working knowledge of music , or that say these inane and asinine phrases , or that even think they may be ''cool'' to admit ignorance about their fav. topic ... it seems a bit self destructive to me .

For my own part , i went to music college for my degree , and worked for many years in Jazz .. . in that world you would not earn much if you could not read , write , arrange and play etc... it can actually get very cut throat at times ., especially in the studios ...

Perhaps you are more in with the younger crowd or teenagers ,, it sounds like it could be their sort of thing ,, but believe me as they get older and if they want to progress and become curious as to why some people can understand certain things very quickly and they cant .. a certain amount of theory will become more important to them ..

Unless this topic is proven to include a vast preponderance, and not just a small percentage of guitarists , it may be difficult to successfully progress.

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 19:50:22

Sr. Martins

quote:

It seems to upset you when someone disagrees with, or questions, your comments. Rather than engage a different point of view, you conveniently avoid such discussion by dismissing any question or disagreement as "not getting it."

What "bothers" me is your willingness to make matters more complicated and redundant than what they should be, thus inviting more variables and frustration to what could be a fun and revealing talk.

quote:

Unless this topic is proven to include a vast preponderance, and not just a small percentage of guitarists , it may be difficult to successfully progress.

Totally agree with that. In fact, after posting the question here I thought "Hmm.. maybe a composers forum would have been a better idea".

Like it or not, nowadays guitarists are filling the "dumb ass musician" role. In my opinion it also has a lot to do with the guitar being a popular instrument among genres that also evolved from a "monkey see monkey do" kind of thing without too much thought or analysis applied to it. Blues, rock and folk are among these simplistic genres.

OTOH, guitar players have been propagating the myth that knowledge is like a recipe and that music theory tells you what to do and all that bullcrap... and since the guitar is such a popular instrument, people assume that a guitar player is also a musician like any other and follow what they say... some don't even know what the notes are called or where they are on the guitar. Some even take pride on not knowing chords by their names.

Someone who doesn't know music won't have much ability to appreciate and distinguish the ideas and materials put into a composition, much less to emulate them and apply them beyond the "monkey see..." methodology.

To me, a music lover who refuses to study music is called "a listener".
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 20:23:59

Escribano

You're right, there have been so many "dumb ass musicians" that didn't study theory or read music. Hendrix, Page, Clapton, B.B. King, John Lennon, Elvis, SRV, Angus Young, Van Halen, Slash, Tony Iommi and Robert Johnson to name but a few. Losers, the lot of them.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 20:50:44

Sr. Martins

RE: Musical Knowledge (in reply to Escribano

quote:

You're right, there have been so many "dumb ass musicians" that didn't study theory or read music. Hendrix, Page, Clapton, B.B. King, John Lennon, Elvis, SRV, Angus Young, Van Halen, Slash, Tony Iommi and Robert Johnson to name but a few. Losers, the lot of them.

And your point is.. what?

Is music a popularity contest? Is musicianship measured by sales?

If you needed someone to write and orchestrate a barroque-style piece for string quartet for a movie you were making, which one of the names you mentioned would you call for the job?

Seriously, I don't understand why would anyone be proud of his lack of knowledge about what he calls his passion.

BTW, Iam not the one who turned guitar players into the "dumb instrumentists who call themselves musicians" category, Iam only asking why you think this happened. Iam sure the amount of violinists/trumpetists/cellists/harpists/whateverists who claim (brag) to have no musical knowledge isn't enough to make them the chosen ones for this category.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 21:01:01

Sr. Martins

Here's another article that shows how open minded are electronic dance music people nowadays. I can say that I totally agree with everything and even with the "diagonally read comments".

http://edmprod.com/theory-thursdays-how-important-is-music-theory/

Electronic/techno producers used to be laughed at by guitarists and other musicians because of their lack of musical knowledge and also for not playing any real instruments... it's funny how things change.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 22:01:37

Escribano

quote:

BTW, Iam not the one who turned guitar players into the "dumb instrumentists who call themselves musicians" category, Iam only asking why you think this happened.

Within the genres we are talking about (blues, rock, folk, country etc.) it is because they evolved from pretty simple folk that listened, copied, innovated and ultimately entertained, based on what they heard elsewhere. They didn't read many books on it, or go to university to study it. They listened to the radio, records, tv and now the Web. They wanted to escape the monotony (or even poverty) of their lives. Simple as that.

Those kind of people will take the path with the least whiff of academia. If they make a platinum disc in the process, who are you to begrudge them that? If they are crap and trying to pass it off, then I don't care, but if they are still learning... well.

p.s. the guitar is very pattern and harmonically friendly, all other things aside. I never found the piano that way. Perhaps it is the different ergonomic action of each hand?

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 22:05:22

BarkellWH

quote:

Is music a popularity contest? Is musicianship measured by sales?

Seriously, I don't understand why would anyone be proud of his lack of knowledge about what he calls his passion.

No, musicianship is not measured by sales. Musicianship is measured by producing good music, something that doesn't necessarily require studying deep theory. And everyone cited by Simon produced good music.

You keep hammering away at the gross generalization that guitarists are "proud that they lack knowledge of music." I haven't heard any guitarists "proudly" stating they had no knowledge of music. I haven't read any interviews of guitarists "bragging" that they didn't know anything about music. What is your evidence for such a sweeping generalization, in which you seem to include guitarists as a group as being "proud" that they have no knowledge of music?

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 22:13:42

Sr. Martins

RE: Musical Knowledge (in reply to Escribano

quote:

Within the genres we are talking about (blues, rock, folk, country etc.) it is because they evolved from pretty simple folk that listened, copied, innovated and ultimately entertained, based on what they heard elsewhere. They didn't read many books on it, or go to university to study it. They listened to the radio, records, tv and now the Web. They wanted to escape the monotony (or even poverty) of their lives. Simple as that.

Those kind of people will take the path with the least whiff of academia. If they make a platinum disc in the process, who are you to begrudge them that? If they are crap and trying to pass it off, then I don't care, but if they are still learning... well.

p.s. the guitar is very pattern and harmonically friendly, all other things aside. I never found the piano that way. Perhaps it is the different ergonomic action of each hand?

I agree with your observations and I've mentioned some of them myself.

I don't know where you got the idea that we're talking "blues, folk, etc", that was merely an example of genres where the "phenomena" is understandable and plausible.

@BarkellWH

Could you read the last link I posted?

Good music is highly subjective and doesn't even help this topic. Doesn't it puzzle you that all the "good music" as you say which was made by the musicians cited by Simon are all playing pretty much the same genre and the same musical material within the same forms? How's that for originality and "playing what you feel"... a huge coincidence?

Please, don't mistake strumming a guitar with being a musician.

How often do you visit music forums related to other instruments besides guitar and other genres besides blues and flamenco? Maybe that's the reason why you don't see any evidence.

A "gross generalization" would be if you were to consider that everyone who sings in the shower is a musician.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 22:52:55

Ruphus

There used to exist a website from and with highly reputated guitar teachers where they published very interesting essays and discriptions.

There I found educating details and also some that matched personal experience very well.
One of the latter things being that where there is passion for music there is talent as well (notwithstanding of how much developed -yet- or not). That includes individuals who practically aren´t capable of playing a single note.

To me it appears consequential from there that anyone who plays with passion is a musician. (That can possibly include individuals with only rudimentary skills, but anyway.) After all musicians can be of any performing level, depending on their way in life.

What explicit theoretical knowledge is concerned, I am among the first to mention that generally knowledge preconditions competence in appreciating / judging.

However, at least in music, knowledge can be internalized by just experiencing musical product. Hence, in contrast to gaining knowledge consciously through studied theory; becoming educated unconsciously through listening to refined and versatile material.

This seems diametrally confirmed by the fact that you can have individuals highly educated in music theory who yet show a very trivial taste in music and being incapable of producing a tasteful or remarkable sound. Just as you can have brilliant musicians who know little to nothing about theory or music history.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 12 2015 23:57:25

BarkellWH

quote:

A "gross generalization" would be if you were to consider that everyone who sings in the shower is a musician.

No, a "gross generalization is that every guitarist today is "proud" to have no knowledge of music. You have offered no evidence for your sweeping generalization. Neither have you demonstrated the slightest inclination to engage with anyone with whom you disagree. Your solipsistic attitude that you are "right" and everyone with whom you disagree is "wrong" says much more about you than it does about those with whom you disagree.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2015 0:11:39

Sr. Martins

RE: Musical Knowledge (in reply to Ruphus

@Ruphus

Nice insight there but I think that it is leaning too much towards the music theory debate, which is something that always pulls us away from the topic at hand.

Another thing besides what has already been mentioned about the guitar (popularity, the characteristics of the genres to which it is strongly linked, "pattern friendly", etc), I think we could add the rockstar effect to it.

Rock guitarists became pop culture icons (anyone heard of Slash?) and are "exploited" as such through the media, which means that they reach a wide audience.. and what they say does too! Adding up to this we have games like Guitar Hero where, as you can guess, it's all about rock bands...and you play as a rock guitarist, who 95% of the time is someone who says "I just place my fingers where they want to go". (Oh, and the game itself is like animated tabs where you press some colored buttons or something...)

Well, my point here is... maybe culture itself (and the industry) play a big role into the "guitar player mentality" as a stereotype (@BarkellWH, want it or not, this prejudice against guitar players DOES exist on the internet, practice rooms, studios and stages... it is NOT something that I made up).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2015 0:21:49

Sr. Martins

quote:

No, a "gross generalization is that every guitarist today is "proud" to have no knowledge of music. You have offered no evidence for your sweeping generalization. Neither have you demonstrated the slightest inclination to engage with anyone with whom you disagree. Your solipsistic attitude that you are "right" and everyone with whom you disagree is "wrong" says much more about you than it does about those with whom you disagree.

Bill

I think it is the third time you write this text on different topics.

Have you seen anyone in this thread sharing your opinion? If people engage in the debate, that must mean that they understand (or at least make an effort to) and think there is a valid point.

On the other hand, I don't know why/how you want to be part of this topic, specially with that attitude. Please, read the links I've posted, specially the last one.

The main topics still are:

- What do you think are the reasons that led to the "guitar player" stereotype within musicians

- What other arts do you know where you can find a significant amount of people stating that "learning about art is bad for your creativity" and refuse to study it/know more about it?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2015 0:27:40

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sr. Martins

Have you seen anyone in this thread sharing your opinion?

Me.

I´m with Bill on this.
While I ever since admire people with theoretical knowledge, it is great to see where you can get still without it, and amazing on the other hand to see how unmusical heads in the know can be.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2015 0:47:04

BarkellWH

quote:

If people engage in the debate, that must mean that they understand (or at least make an effort to) and think there is a valid point.

Then why don't you engage in the debate with those with whom you disagree? I have engaged in the debate, offering a different perspective than that proposed by you. Yet you refuse to engage with anyone, including me, with whom you disagree. Your attitude that you are "right" and everyone with whom you disagree "doesn't get it" (to quote an earlier post by you) appears to be a cop-out. There are several posters who have disagreed with you besides me, including Kiko and Simon. Yet you persist in your position without offering a defense. That is no debate at all.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2015 0:50:59

Sr. Martins

RE: Musical Knowledge (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

While I ever since admire people with theoretical knowledge, it is great to see where you can get still without it, and amazing to see how unmusical heads in the know can be.

As I've politely pointed to you, that's not the topic.

Iam also a guitar player, a huge fan of most of the names cited and a HUGE part of my musical influences know even less about music than the names that Simon gave.

Please, don't turn this into a theory vs no theory thread.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2015 0:51:42
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post