Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

String Bending   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Patrick

String Bending 

Here’s one I haven’t heard much about…string bending.

When I was a kid and played my Fender Telecaster (it was a 1976 red one), we bent strings like crazy. In flamenco and classical I don’t hear much talk about it. What’s interesting is, I started working on a Moraito Solea that has all kind of string bending in it.

Just for fun, I played a bit of Solea and kept track of the number of times I bent the strings. On the attached file I counted six different bends, mostly on the ending phrasings. Is this something we all do subconsciously, or is it a carry over form my steel string days, or am I just moving to a new level? Have I been in the dark on this and everyone has been doing it and didn’t tell me? It sounds like a conspiracy to me!

Pat

Attachment

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 28 2003 19:03:34

Thomas Whiteley

RE: String Bending (in reply to Patrick

Pat;

Good playing and example.

I do not have any flamenco literature, method book or instruction video that mentions bending.

I have been sitting next to Sabicas, Carlos Montoya, and Juan Serrano, as well as many other flamenco guitarists. This would not be at a show but in private. The only person I have seen bend strings while playing flamenco guitar is Juan Serrano. In fact I think he does in on one of his video instruction tapes – I will have to look around for it.

Somehow I do not think it is a common technique in flamenco guitar work, but why not use it?

What works best low tension, extra high tension or something in between?

A technique I use from Moron de la Frontera technique is to slide within the fret, and to lower frets. When you do it within the fret you get a different voicing as if the guitar is singing. This can be ascending or descending notes. It seems like bending would be similar but yet give a different end result.

Tom

Tom
http://home.comcast.net/~flamencoguitar/flamenco.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 28 2003 19:52:24

Patrick

Tom,

I think some of us do it without really thinking about it. In my case it's very subtle. If I think about it, I can actually hear it. I believe I feel the bend more then hear it, but I know for a fact that it’s changing the voicing of the music. In the clip I posted, the first bend is a slight vibrato, the rest are slight bends up or down.

Interesting subject.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 28 2003 21:13:24

Escribano

I too bent string on my SG like crazy, a whole tone most off time. Now, I bend a little back and forth occasionally, what we called "tremelo" in the electric world. You do have a distinctive style on those arpeggios. Nice.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 28 2003 21:26:18

Patrick

Simon,

Because you can from a rock background I think you can relate to what I am talking about.

I think my arpeggios sound the way they do, due the small bends that are taking place without me even thinking about it. No two will be the same. In fact I didn't even give it much thought until yesterday.

I was just curious if anybody else was doing it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2003 1:05:09

Escribano

quote:

I was just curious if anybody else was doing it

I think I do it on the slower ones.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2003 9:52:16

Jon Boyes

I use it a lot - mainly for a vibrato effect (although I use a classical vibrato as well). Mind you, this is when I'm soloing along with my backing, I don't conciously do it if I'm playing straight flamenco toque.

Another thing I do a lot is play a note and slide it rapidly up a tone then back down again which I guess is similar to what Tom's talking about. PDL and Tonino Baliardo are very fond of that one.

You can't get a tone wide bluesy bend-release out of a nylon strung guitar, so I guess its the flamenco players equivalent.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2003 12:11:27

Escribano

RE: String Bending (in reply to Jon Boyes

quote:

You can't get a tone wide bluesy bend-release out of a nylon strung guitar, so I guess its the flamenco players equivalent.

Spot on, I knew I was forgetting something and I think I meant vibrato rather than tremelo on my last post.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2003 15:08:30

HMaN

Paco hits a bend at 1:15 😎

https://youtu.be/zEhA5tu0ee0
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2019 15:02:01
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages