Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Why each luthier has his own characteristic tone in his guitar?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ahmed Flamenco

Why each luthier has his own charact... 

hey luthiers
I wanted to ask this to see what you will say
among all the guitars of different luthiers I've seen and listened to on youtube ,I experienced that you may find that someone's guitar is a killer in its sound,other would not be that killer but very sweet and you may find dry non-percussive guitars and also you will find differences in one's guitars.
Is it because of wood,size,bracing pattern.thickness,personal touch or by chance.
Is it a secret that each luthier maintain for himself or a secret that one' gain by experience
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2015 10:23:17

Fawkes

RE: Why each luthier has his own cha... (in reply to Ahmed Flamenco

Building a musical instrument involves making hundreds of decisions. At every stage different choices could be made, and the choices made by a given luthier reflect not only his conscious intentions but the whole of his mental context. Your building process reflects your personality and the instrument will too. It is common for experienced luthiers to say that no matter what changes they make their instruments sound like their instruments. No doubt there are exceptions too.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2015 15:38:51

constructordeguitarras

RE: Why each luthier has his own cha... (in reply to Ahmed Flamenco

quote:

Is it because of wood,size,bracing pattern.thickness,personal touch or by chance.

Yes, all of these things. And there may or may not be a secret that a luthier keeps. I keep some, but I know other people have discovered them too in their own way. (And sometimes I give them away to see if anyone notices.)

This reminds me of something. A friend told me that he found it unpleasant exhibiting guitars at guitar fairs because people would ask so many questions such as, "Who is the best guitar maker [here]?" I decided that if I get asked that question I will answer that there is no best maker; different guitarists have different tastes, each guitarist likes what he or she likes. It's like asking who is the most attractive woman (or man). And there is a builder for each taste.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2015 2:36:43

estebanana

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Mar. 23 2015 10:34:35
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2015 9:31:12

Ahmed Flamenco

RE: Why each luthier has his own cha... (in reply to constructordeguitarras

yes, personally I don't believe that there is what is called the best luthier
but it is awesome if one luthier can make different kinds of guitars.
I will start a new journey in making new guitars but after completion of this semester and I'll try something which I think will make the sound more percussive .
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2015 18:50:59
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post