Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: early history of rondeñas   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

RE: early history of rondeñas (in reply to aloysius

quote:

ORIGINAL: aloysius

quote:

The earliest recordings I have heard are from Juan Gandulla accompanying cante, like 1909 or before... I personally find it hard to believe, as solid and standardized his toque is there, that what he is doing evolved out of a music form established less than 20 years prior. Doesn't make sense to my inner being...but that is just me and it is just conjecture of course.

There is a great recording by the Centro Andaluz de Flamenco called "Cilindros de Cera. Primeras grabaciones de Flamenco." It's 2 CDs of remastered wax cylinder recordings from 1890 - 1905. The earliest of these would be some 20 years before the first Juan Gandulla recordings. The guitar on these recordings is pretty crude, especially compared to the cante which feels already highly developed. I don't think this proves that cante existed for a long time without the guitar, but it maybe shows that the guitar was not considered such a big deal back then.

See this is where I have to disagree. I went to search for what you describe and found this clip...no idea of the singer or guitar but it appears to be from the collection you describe as "crude" guitar....the only thing crude IMO is the fidelity, whch is understandable. The player has good compas and sensitivity to the cante, he is doing nice compas por tanguillo and some little arps between the thumb work.....nobody in the modern era would say if can play this way it is somehow ultra primitve toque. It is TRADITIONAL , orthodox...quite normal. This type of thing I learned for tanguillo when I was starting out. Sure it is not Nuñez but considering how flamenco is done in traditional circles, and hearing this as the EARLIEST recording of the genre, it just seems to me this way of playing was not super new by 1890's.

http://youtu.be/Iff0mQ01IXk

in regards to Kevin's post about reading ARCAS, I concur "both drinking from the same fountains" is more like it for me, than Arcas being such a heavy influence on the flamenco players in general. My point is you can claim it only one way or the other, so if some old flamenco guys had thier stuff together for a while already, why not that they actually could have influenced HIM instead?

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2015 20:44:13

BarkellWH

RE: early history of rondeñas (in reply to Kevin

quote:

What is the difference? Why is the contrast of all that is noble in man with all that is common relevant to this thread? What possesses the "lowest common denominator" in this thread?

You miss the point entirely. There was a reference to Ortega y Gasset, who is a very interesting figure in Spanish history. I picked up on it to expand a bit on Ortega y Gasset's views, which were as I stated. It had nothing to do with this thread per se, nor was it a comment on any of the members contributing to the discussion on the early history of rondenas. It was simply to expand on an interesting individual in the Spain of the '30s.

That you have taken such umbrage at my comment and somehow have concluded that Ortega y Gasset's views on the noble and the common, as well as the lowest common denominator, refer to contributors to this thread reveals an extreme sensitivity on your part. I assure you that you are wrong. Nevertheless, your reaction suggests a high degree of insecurity and the possibility that in discussing Ortega y Gasset, an unintended target was hit.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2015 20:57:04

guitarbuddha

RE: early history of rondeñas (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

ORIGINAL: BarkellWH

That you have taken such umbrage at my comment and somehow have concluded that Ortega y Gasset's views on the noble and the common, as well as the lowest common denominator, refer to contributors to this thread reveals an extreme sensitivity on your part. I assure you that you are wrong. Nevertheless, your reaction suggests a high degree of insecurity and the possibility that in discussing Ortega y Gasset, an unintended target was hit.

Bill

No that is what I call taking a sh1t and walking away from it.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2015 20:58:52

Kevin

RE: early history of rondeñas (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

in regards to Kevin's post about reading ARCAS, I concur "both drinking from the same fountains" is more like it for me, than Arcas being such a heavy influence on the flamenco players in general. My point is you can claim it only one way or the other, so if some old flamenco guys had thier stuff together for a while already, why not that they actually could have influenced HIM instead?

The problem (for me) is that we put too strict a barrier on what is flamenco and what is "classical" guitar. There is a four hundred year history of disparaging strummed guitar that has multiple sources one of which is Covarrubias dictionary entry about the Chacona (I think if I remember correctly; ciaccona/chaconne) being a vulgar music played by stable boys. But the strummed "folk" guitar and refined plucked guitars in Spain have always influenced each other. Without Amat's treatise which really described "folk" strumming there would be no Montesardo, Foscarini, and later Sanz and De Murcia.

Anyway, I don't think flamenco was that developed yet in 1880 or so. All the anecdotal evidence suggest strumming and "a cuerda pelaa" (pulgar) were the norms in flamenco. Gandulla and Monoya were from the next generation.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2015 21:41:51

runner

I urge anybody who cannot walk and chew gum at the same time to avoid like the plague any post on any topic where some different subject is introduced, even peripherally. The preceding sentence is not a rant; I checked with Kevin, who knows one when he sees one, and he says it is most definitely not a rant.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2015 22:08:33

Kevin

RE: early history of rondeñas (in reply to runner

quote:

The preceding sentence is not a rant; I checked with Kevin, who knows one when he sees one, and he says it is most definitely not a rant.

Lol. No you didn't.
Your original post was relevant to the thread. But then Ortega y Gasset became a focal point. I questioned its relevance then you respond like this lol.
What I would have said is that your first post at least had the potential to further explore the topic from a historical perspective. This post is just BS.

But please tell me, do you have Magna Antologia, Rito, Cilindros de Cero, Flamenco "A traves..." and Fosforito CD sets and are you studying them right now so that you can compare some of that material with Arcas'?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2015 22:54:53

Kevin

To the original question:
Verdiales, Jaberas, Rondenas, abandolaos are all variations on Fandango forms. They are usually in 3/4 time. In contemporary practice (the past 15 years) they are often dance in a bulerias groove in 2s or 12-1-2-3-4-5-

Montoyas Rondena is an instrumental realization of Rondena with a special tuning. You could play standard tuning in C# (minera is also played in this key sometimes). You could also play it in E. You don't need a special tuning. Also, many toques libres have very specific turns of phrase that were associated with the toque/cante but have begun to be lost. So key wasn't as important as a determining factor, the turns of phrase or chord successions defined the toque. These are being lost.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2015 23:21:33

runner

Kevin, there are so many things offensive about your attitude that it's hard to know where to begin. You yourself should begin to self-assess by again looking at the quote that you have as a signature, all about humility and learning new things. You came late to this thread, later than me anyway, but then proceeded to appoint yourself as arbiter-in-chief of what is to be relevant, what is to be posted, what is proper here in the discussion. You clearly have trouble coping with possible distractions, and with anger--is it like a peanut allergy? If so, you should warn others in advance so that they will not upset you unnecessarily. Wish I had known.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2015 0:26:33

guitarbuddha

OK I will start, the ball rolling.

My name is David and I often have a sense of humour failure.

D.

(hey who is that sneaking out the back door,is that you Spartacus ? come back here and fess up.......there are biscuits for later)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2015 0:40:06

Kevin

I didn't know that seniority prevailed. My apologies.

Are there any biscuits left?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2015 2:12:26

runner

Sorry, no biscuits. Got peanuts though.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2015 2:24:26

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kevin

To the original question:
Verdiales, Jaberas, Rondenas, abandolaos are all variations on Fandango forms. They are usually in 3/4 time. In contemporary practice (the past 15 years) they are often dance in a bulerias groove in 2s or 12-1-2-3-4-5-

Montoyas Rondena is an instrumental realization of Rondena with a special tuning. You could play standard tuning in C# (minera is also played in this key sometimes). You could also play it in E. You don't need a special tuning. Also, many toques libres have very specific turns of phrase that were associated with the toque/cante but have begun to be lost. So key wasn't as important as a determining factor, the turns of phrase or chord successions defined the toque. These are being lost.

Well I heard from a very old cantaor, that the tunning was first developed by Nietzsche (also a student of Patiño) as a way to deal with this cantaor Jose Ortega who sang rondeñas at 4 por medio, and his normal guitarist Gasset (yes they were two different guys actually) couldn't handle it because they hadn't invented the cejilla yet. Nietzsche's mutual friend of Patiño, Sr. Dunlop thought the new tunning was a clever idea but had a better one himself.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2015 6:57:54

aloysius

quote:

See this is where I have to disagree. I went to search for what you describe and found this clip...no idea of the singer or guitar but it appears to be from the collection you describe as "crude" guitar....the only thing crude IMO is the fidelity, whch is understandable. The player has good compas and sensitivity to the cante, he is doing nice compas por tanguillo and some little arps between the thumb work.....nobody in the modern era would say if can play this way it is somehow ultra primitve toque. It is TRADITIONAL , orthodox...quite normal. This type of thing I learned for tanguillo when I was starting out. Sure it is not Nuñez but considering how flamenco is done in traditional circles, and hearing this as the EARLIEST recording of the genre, it just seems to me this way of playing was not super new by 1890's.

Maybe 'crude' is a bad way to describe it - but it does sound to me like the guitar is trying to find its place, without a clear consensus on how to accompany. Here is a solea from that collection:
http://aloysiusleeson.com/Assets/Soleares.mp3
The accompanist here (Manuel López) uses a I - vi pattern in his comping, and a VI - III pattern for the macho of the verse, the other guitarists in the collection are different, one uses just I, II and III through the whole verse, another uses the VI chord in a different spot and so on. I agree the playing doesn't seem super new, just that there doesn't seem to be as much of a unified 'school' of playing then as there appears to be already in the cante.

www.guitarsketches.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2015 10:24:25

Kevin

Wow. Good luck to everyone on the flamenco journey. It's a beautiful art and culture which we will all be learning for the rest of our lives.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2015 13:44:04

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

No popcorn? Seems like a necessity for this thread...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2015 14:26:28

guitarbuddha

RE: early history of rondeñas (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pgh_flamenco

quote:

No popcorn? Seems like a necessity for this thread...

The popcorn vendor always comes along.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2015 15:52:20

Richard Jernigan

RE: early history of rondeñas (in reply to Steelhead

I've read a couple of interviews with Javier Molina. Unfortunately they didn't contain much specific info about flamenco in his youth. He was born in 1868, and a published bio says he first played professionally at the age of eight, so he would have known Patiño and Paco de Lucena. Both Manolo de Huelva and Niño Ricardo worked for Molina when he ran a tablao. One of the very few recorded solos by Manolo is a rosas that shares a few falsetas with Ricardo's much better known versions, though with a very different sound and approach.

Some of Javier's students are still quite active: Pepe and Juan Habichuela, Paco Cepero and Manolo Sanlucar, despite Sanlucar's recent announcement of his retirement.

I wonder whether Molina ever talked about the old days with any of those students? Might be interesting to try to find out.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2015 1:03:05

Steelhead

My goodness, my original query certainly seems to have gotten ppl going. The articles by Rioja are excellent regarding Arcas, Murciano, and the evolution of proto-flamenco guitar in the mid-1800s. This recently unearthed score of Murciano would seem to represent an earlier style, since he died in 1848. BTW, it contains tremolo, illustrating that tremolo was established by then, and that proto-flamenco guitar playing was not just strumming and pulgar. There was clear interaction between unlettered guitarists like Murciano and classical professionals like Arcas. Meanwhile, there is no need to be ‘agnostic’ about the early history of flamenco, as Rioja, Steingress, Gamboa, and other Spanish scholars have unearthed a lot of information, including about its coalescence, by that name, around the 1860s. Many useful historical references have been found, not to mention the 1860s guitar scores of Arcas and now this earlier one. Scholars have also established that from the earliest period of ‘flamenco’ as a genre by that name, it was performed in public cafes cantantes, by professionals, for paying audiences, and it evolved in precisely that context, typically with guitar accompaniment. It is a myth that it was originally cante a palo seco, and guitar somehow came later. (Not to mention early 1600s references such as “La Gitanilla” by Cervantes to gypsy singers being accompanied by vihuela or whatever it was, I’ll have to check the reference.)
Actually, what I still don’t well understand is the relation of Ramon Montoya’s ‘rondeña’ to any extant earlier entity by that name. Unless someone persuades me otherwise, I am inclined to think that his “rondeña” had absolutely nothing in common with any earlier rondeñas.

Steelhead
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2015 21:13:26

Kevin

Ignorance is bliss and I keep thinking about Paco's quote about philosophy and how he quit reading works on metaphysics because it is "vain pretension." I often question the value of going to grad school and what I learned in a post-modern academic climate mostly because it seems to be most useful to converse with others that "speak the language." Most of my really good friends are not educated at the doctoral level. Who knew? Good luck with whatever direction you go but there is an anti-intellectualist aire when questions like this come up.
quote:

Meanwhile, there is no need to be ‘agnostic’ about the early history of flamenco, as Rioja, Steingress, Gamboa, and other Spanish scholars have unearthed a lot of information, including about its coalescence, by that name, around the 1860s.

Where in Steingress? I see 1880 as a recurring date across scholars like Castrobuendia or Hurtado Torres (pp.23. Etapa Proto-flamenca 1850-1881) and others.

As for the tremolo in El Murciano I would have to see the score. Carcassi has that passage in one of his A minor studies that looks like a tremolo but isn't.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2015 23:29:19

Steelhead

Among other authors, Gamboa ("Una Historia del Flamenco", pp. 498ff) discusses the emergence of "flamenco," by that name, to denote the genre evolving as performed in the cafes cantantes from the 1860s, as documented in various contemporary sources.

Steelhead
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2015 0:26:45

runner

quote:

I have long been a confirmed agnostic about any and all explanations of the origin of flamenco.

I am in full agreement that from the middle of the nineteenth century on, the early history of flamenco is being elucidated, and that the closer we get to the early recordings, the surer our knowledge becomes. My agnosticism is in reference to flamenco's alleged origins, pre-nineteenth century, in "Moorish" (Berber?), Arabic, Andalusian peasant, Sephardic, Indian, classical, operatic, ecclesiastical, or whatever else sort of music, or combinations thereof, that is anyone's particular hobbyhorse of the moment. Ditto for the Blues, as previously stated.

The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2015 2:16:00

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steelhead

My goodness, my original query certainly seems to have gotten ppl going. The articles by Rioja are excellent regarding Arcas, Murciano, and the evolution of proto-flamenco guitar in the mid-1800s. This recently unearthed score of Murciano would seem to represent an earlier style, since he died in 1848. BTW, it contains tremolo, illustrating that tremolo was established by then, and that proto-flamenco guitar playing was not just strumming and pulgar. There was clear interaction between unlettered guitarists like Murciano and classical professionals like Arcas. Meanwhile, there is no need to be ‘agnostic’ about the early history of flamenco, as Rioja, Steingress, Gamboa, and other Spanish scholars have unearthed a lot of information, including about its coalescence, by that name, around the 1860s. Many useful historical references have been found, not to mention the 1860s guitar scores of Arcas and now this earlier one. Scholars have also established that from the earliest period of ‘flamenco’ as a genre by that name, it was performed in public cafes cantantes, by professionals, for paying audiences, and it evolved in precisely that context, typically with guitar accompaniment. It is a myth that it was originally cante a palo seco, and guitar somehow came later. (Not to mention early 1600s references such as “La Gitanilla” by Cervantes to gypsy singers being accompanied by vihuela or whatever it was, I’ll have to check the reference.)
Actually, what I still don’t well understand is the relation of Ramon Montoya’s ‘rondeña’ to any extant earlier entity by that name. Unless someone persuades me otherwise, I am inclined to think that his “rondeña” had absolutely nothing in common with any earlier rondeñas.

interesting points regarding murciano...once again I restate CAN WE SEE THE (expletive) SCORE??????
proto flamenco not being so simple I want to agree with as I have stated earlier.
About Montoya...if that is what's buggng you we have discussed this in the past. I concur that so far evidence shows it to be uniquely his creation as a natural extension of exploring the new "levante" keys...he would use granaina tono and taranta tonos for many cantes we dont' use them for today...such as cartagenera, malagueñas, etc....and his rondeña as famously recorded uses a "levantica" type melody at one point....but why he CALLED it rondeña is anybody's guess. As discussed the tuning is not so unique as it's usage (low D very common and the F# from lute music..but LYDIAN explorations are very Indian IMO). Norman Kliman pointed out that Montoya used the tono and tuning to accompany cante but I can't recall what that was exactly. (EDIT: it was Taranta for a female singer).

pay attention to Norman's posts here:
http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=140827&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=montoya%2Cronde%E3%B1a&tmode=&smode=&s=#140897

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2015 18:59:57

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

I just found 2 very comprehensive papers on El Murciano and his rondeña, both by Eusebio Rioja:

flamenco/flamenco_murciano.pdf">http://www.sinfoniavirtual.com/flamenco/flamenco_murciano.pdf

http://www.jondoweb.com/archivospdf/murciano.pdf

wow, all that and NO SCORE of the guys playing??

my appologies here....I double checked this again and realize the entire article loads just fine until about page 69 or so and gets stuck (on IPAD)...so I read through that whole article the other day and at the end it just cuts off with no score....I reloaded several times and am able to get the first 3 pages of the murciano "malagueña" to load but then I get blank pages with red X's... the first couple pages look interesting and now I can see the arcas connection to this style of playing (the E remate mainly is the same)...but this seems much more "flamenco" and more sophisticated to me than Arcas, but I want to read through the rest. Can anybody extract the entire piece and load as pdf (last few pages or so? the bibliography at the bottom does appear just fine)

Anyway here is the Glinka thing (supposedly as it is not exact what I was reading) read by a classical player in a very classical way IMO.
http://youtu.be/mKG7ku4qyfU
Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 31 2015 2:41:07

Ricardo

RE: early history of rondeñas (in reply to aloysius

quote:

quote:

Maybe 'crude' is a bad way to describe it - but it does sound to me like the guitar is trying to find its place, without a clear consensus on how to accompany. Here is a solea from that collection:
http://aloysiusleeson.com/Assets/Soleares.mp3
The accompanist here (Manuel López) uses a I - vi pattern in his comping, and a VI - III pattern for the macho of the verse, the other guitarists in the collection are different, one uses just I, II and III through the whole verse, another uses the VI chord in a different spot and so on. I agree the playing doesn't seem super new, just that there doesn't seem to be as much of a unified 'school' of playing then as there appears to be already in the cante.

Just noticed and reviewed this searching for something else...

Wow, very interesting recording...as per my opinion, just reinforced it big time. What I am hearing in this is several interesting things. First, the compas is steady and standard interms of strumming pattern. More like solea por buleria as we think of it today, but as discussed, that is normal for solea cante. The Dminor chord (iv you meant to write) is odd but not out of sorts, por medio often interchanges the Bb/D and the Dminor proper as implying the same harmonic movement ie substitutions. The other odd thing is the guitarist playing little "falsetas" or pulgar things under the cante, which is a little distracting vs the basic chords idea.

The VI-III (F-C7 barre) is the Standard reverse cambio we talked about in the cante accomp topic, where I note that M. MORAO and the like seem to have this standardized as the normal thing to do when playing por Medio (but not por Arriba). Hearing it done with regularity here makes it obvious that this was blue printed A LONG ASSS TIME AGO!!!! The most interesting thing is the half compases done by the singer and how they are handled by the guitarist....the exact same as we discussed as done by N. Ricardo, Melchor, and Morao...you maintain 12's and put the cambio on the 1-2-3 part of the compas.

Fantastic example of how sht NEVER CHANGED and trying to pin this thing down is off the scope of what we can investigate concretely. I am left to conclude that the half compas rarities of Montoya and others (see norman's site for half compas buleria por solea examples), thought to have been abondoned in favor of the more "modern" approach of Melchor and Ricardo (who never broke 12's on recording), are in fact true anomolies and the idea of keeping 12's consciously is older than Montoya and friends.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2015 13:58:50

Paul Magnussen

RE: early history of rondeñas (in reply to guitarbuddha

quote:

Earl Skruggs joins Bill Monroe 1945
Newgrass Revival with Bela Fleck formed 1971

Remarkable yes, impossible no.

But, Bluegrass and the other genres in your example were all diffused by radio, television, records, and faster communications generally — none of them available in the 19th century.

Even in 1922, El Tenazas had trouble getting to Granada; he may not have walked all the way, as legend has it; but he certainly didn’t jump on a tour bus like Earl Scruggs.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2015 16:18:09

estebanana

Has anyone been able to extract the El Murciano score from the article?

There is some flamenco looking action with dance-singing guitar in many paintings and prints from pre 1850s you start to see it in French painting too as the French were keen on guitars, both Italian a Spanish at different times.

There are visual references to flamenco looking situations in Goya's print making work. Maybe looking for musical examples is one road to seeing earlier into flamenco and another is iconography.

New texts on Spanish music have been coming to light in the last couple decades. You never know what might turn up in a an archive. Today more an more teams of researchers as tasked with mounting work online for public view, that means more old stones are being turned over by researchers. One might have early writings about flamenco or something like it.

Recently a cave in South Africa in the center of an area known for finds of early hominid fossils ended up surprising scientists by spectacular find of 1300 bones, a few nearly complete skeletons.

Surely if this can be saved and pop a few million years latre we can hope ther might be a few new pages of flamenco descriptions in some library in Europe.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2015 15:07:33

Ricardo

RE: early history of rondeñas (in reply to estebanana

I played through what I could download...it certainly has some flamenco elements in the falsetas, but no rasqueados. I want to believe some of the recurring arpegio themes are a classical musician's interpretatin of rasgueado rather than the way he played it litterally. Otherwise I would say it is a more classical guitar type thing. I linked above to the video of a guy reading Glinka's score of Murciano, it's pretty similar.

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2015 17:37:08

estebanana

Glinka was a pianist, writing a rasgueado in notation while drinking wine with gitanos must have been challenging for a 19th century composer. And even later if he did from memory he was probably soused. Glinka was an unusually heavy drinker.

The long way to get at what he meant is to look at other Glinka original scores and try to find clues about how he notated and compare other scores to the Murciano. But that is dry doctoral work and slow and tedious.

It's been speculated that somewhere in Glinka's collected and scattered archives that there could me be more scores or notes on his time with Murciano. Nothing new has come to light, but it still possible. Most of Glinka original scores and ephemera are still in Russia. You and Grisha could write a grant to get funding to go to visit the Glinka archives and then try to recreate the party and musical atmosphere surrounding Glinka and El Murciano and see if you can have a musical seance to summon his spirit to talk about early flamenco and vodka production.

A scholar of Magna Carta made a discovery last year about the order in which the document was distributed based on comparative hand writing between several sets of the document. This led to basic changes in ideas about the early history of the document.

So if the Magna Carta is still giving up new discoveries to scholars, flamenco may give something too. It's possible. The right researcher opening the right folio of papers and we may get some startling new information.

I'm always hopeful.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 7 2015 1:28:42

kitarist

quote:

quote:

quote:

I just found 2 very comprehensive papers on El Murciano and his rondeña, both by Eusebio Rioja:

flamenco/flamenco_murciano.pdf">http://www.sinfoniavirtual.com/flamenco/flamenco_murciano.pdf

http://www.jondoweb.com/archivospdf/murciano.pdf

wow, all that and NO SCORE of the guys playing??

[...] Can anybody extract the entire piece and load as pdf (last few pages or so? the bibliography at the bottom does appear just fine)
Ricardo

Did you ever get the complete pdf? I just downloaded it and all 83 pages are fine, including scores.
BTW thanks for pointing to this discussion from the other more recent thread - very interesting.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 27 2016 22:32:27

Kevin

RE: early history of rondeñas (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Maybe looking for musical examples is one road to seeing earlier into flamenco and another is iconography.

Stephen, I looked into iconography and many of the works, especially by foreign painters, are full of historical and cultural inconsistencies. For example, some of them portray gypsies in ways that goes against some of the literature of the time. Not saying its a dead end, but for my purposes it didn't look like it was going anywhere.

As for no rajeos in the score , there is a tradition that goes back to the baroque whose name escapes me. It's not stile brise. It was the use of arpeggiation to mimic the strums of the guitar. I will look that up.

It seems to me that Murciano's rondena is less flamenco than either of Arcas'. They share some gestures but Arcas actually arranges the melody and if you play through it it is recognizable as being from the fandangos family, albeit simple. Yet, Murciano is cited as a prefalemco guitarist and Arcas is not. Food for thought. I think things were stillbe codified into the early twentieth century and to call anything flamenco before 1900 or so is projecting our own present view onto the past.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2016 18:46:01
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post