Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: A Word on Superstition   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

guitarbuddha

RE: A Word on Superstition (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria

the group around the fire began discussing the alien plans for us and what they really wanted.

Hell everyone knows what the answer to that is. Exploit us and our resources as hard as possible while telling the folks back home that the real reason for the invasion is the burden of technological cultural and moral superiority. Of course the aliens would have to be well versed in ignoring the flaws in their own culture and the true nature of their motivation for that to fly.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2015 13:55:41

Ruphus

RE: A Word on Superstition (in reply to BarkellWH

Hey David,

I thought to be the only uncle with nephews worth banging your head against real estate. ;O|

quote:

ORIGINAL: BarkellWH

That, in part, is how religions have historically arisen, leading to a priestly caste that itself uses superstition and belief to maintain its position of power, either absolute or as an adjunct to the secular authority that uses it as a source of legitimacy.

Really well said!
-

About alien abduction.
Think to have mentioned iit once on the foro:

Some people occasionally experience sustaining deep sleep "paralization" during wake up. This ought to be feeling as if you can´t move limbs while it appears as if you can´t breath with the chest standing still.

Interesting how people with same symptoms then fancy differently according to popular myth of their corresponding cultural sphere.
Over here in Middle East folks fancy a kind of horrible bitch (in detailed ways of traditional telling) sitting on their chest and holding down their arms with enormous strength.
Whereas in USA people see - you name it - aliens confining them.

So much about precondition.
-

On alien (and for that matter hypothetical future artificial intelligence ) potential characteristics:

Recently in a newspaper I saw a hypothetical outline first time in accordance to my personal conclusion.

Unlike common expectations on possible artificial intelligence or aliens (as for dominance striving / aggressive beings) it was pointed out that up from a certain level of intelligence reason ought to have been taking over inherently.

Thus, advanced artificial intelligence / consciousness should have no interest in behaving as aggressive like we (unnaturally) are doing over the past 5000 years.
Instead it should display sensible and progressive, hence rather likely helping us with matching our behaviour to our physically and anthropologically potential intellect.

From there I suppose that beings who are smart enough to make a cosmic trip to here, in place of gagging and torturing us would rather be throwing our iPhones and trendy luxury sneakers out of the window and motivate us to stop the berserk destroyment of earths evolution.

They would probably order oligarchs and their state´s entourage to wipe asses in hospitals (for them to learn sympathetic emotions) and collect garbage in countrysides and oceans (for them to see what they did not care about), organize the freeing of earthly resources for everyone and the re-establishing of natural refuges.

Not just for their unlikely appearance in our solar system should no one fear aliens, but
rather expect them as potential liberators from our literally idiotic and suicidial plague of plutocracy.

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2015 15:43:29

Ricardo

RE: A Word on Superstition (in reply to guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

No, superstition arises when really bizarre coincidences or events occur that can't be explained logically and makes your hair stand on end. If more than a single individual be involved, the superstion strength is increased exponentially. Predicted repetition will make it worse and worse etc.

TV shows like 'Ghost Hunters', 'Most Haunted', 'Psychic Detective','The Ghost Whisperer' are full of 'really bizarre coincidences' and events that 'can't be explained logically and make your hair stand on end'. Each week a new set of characters are introduced and 'the superstitious strength is increased exponentially (and the predictable) repetition will make it worse and worse'.

They are most definitely not making these shows for love.

Maybe they have in fact supplanted the old school withchdoctors who would say. 'I am closer to this mysterious realm than you because my father and his father before him explored it with our special powers which you will never fully understand'. But much remains the same camera tricks/CGI and fantastical testimonials stand in well for smoke, mirrors and hallucinogens.

My nephew asked me if I thought I would ever see an alien, I said no. He looked blankly at me as I explained why (I get a lot of that) and replied that he thought that he would see one. His answer when I asked why ?

'Because I am an optomist'.

But he has seen Aliens already......... on TV I went to the toilet and hit my head off the wall.

D.

Yet "astrobiology" is a legit scientific field of study. Not much different than Ghost hunters etc.... my point is that unless a well experienced skeptic is around in EVERY case to nip a "coincidence" or unexplained experience in the bud, immediatly, then the idea spreads like wildfire, reinforced by the emotions and memory of the occurance. Memory itself is a HUGE problem, tied directly to what I said about conspiracy theory...beautful CREATIONS of the mind. Filling in the blanks etc, often exaggerating points while leaving out others, like a good painter.

People that are skeptics don't spend those hours perusing ghost hunter type TV...that commodity is sold to the people that had an experience or memory THEMSELVES or someone close, and find it interesting. There is a reason they keep a guy like Spock on the ship to keep perspective, but he can't be everywhere for everybody all the time. And in the end, try to count the number of times Kirk had to go against Spock's idea in order to succeed.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2015 16:45:24

guitarbuddha

RE: A Word on Superstition (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

And in the end, try to count the number of times Kirk had to go against Spock's idea in order to succeed.

Ricardo

Kirk/John Wayne/Jason Stratham/Will Smith in Bad Boys/Emily Proctor fondling guns in CSI Miami/David (the tool) Caruso.

Basing an anti rational national identity round them is perhaps the greatest achievement of mythmaking in the history of propaganda. And it leaves a gaping hole in the public heart for a George Bush or Senator McCarthy to walk into.

But I am no anti-American. James Bond is just as ridiculous.

D.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2015 18:40:18
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll