Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Does a Pickguard alter the sound of a guitar?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

gimmeagig

Does a Pickguard alter the sound of ... 

Hi,
I recently bought a classical guitar and I'm trying to learn how to play Flamenco. The guitar was not super expensive but still, I don't want it to get banged up unnecessarily. I have seen that some Flamenco guitars have protective guards like this on them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunlop-Herco-Pickguard-Golpeador-Soft-Transparent-Adhesive-For-Flamenco-Guitar-/140978131647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d2f392bf

I am wondering if something like that would negatively affect the sound of the guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2015 18:14:08

Sr. Martins

RE: Does a Pickguard alter the sound... (in reply to gimmeagig

You're thinking it wrong.

It's part of the playing so...

The other option is to watch a hole slowly forming on the top.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2015 18:18:51

constructordeguitarras

Golpeadors don't seem to affect the sound noticeably when they are placed in the usual region, between the bridge and the sound hole.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2015 20:19:40

estebanana

There is a brand or type of clear material that sticks to the top of the guitar with static. I don't know the name, but I have heard classical guitarists talk about it. You might go online ona classical guitar forum and ask about it.

It is a material that just slips on and off and is not permanent, but protects the top. If you started with that you could decide of flamenco for you and keep your classical guitar clean.

It does not effect the sound much, not in any gross way you can really detect. I sometimes think on some really thin topped flamenco guitars it makes them sound better.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2015 23:24:38

sig

Check out Strings By Mail. They sell a number of clear top protectors such as Kling-on etc...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2015 16:24:07

JasonM

RE: Does a Pickguard alter the sound... (in reply to sig

When I put a golpeador on my new guitar it literally masked the sound. The trebles are no longer as bright and the beautiful overtones are gone. I was kind of surprised as I didn’t except much effect after reading through various threads where people say they don’t notice much difference.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 23 2019 21:02:58

Tom Blackshear

RE: Does a Pickguard alter the sound... (in reply to JasonM

Jason,

On occasion I have to re-tune the top when a plate is installed. I guess it all depends on the guitar.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 24 2019 3:21:19

JasonM

RE: Does a Pickguard alter the sound... (in reply to Tom Blackshear

Tom do you have a general theory about this? I assume the tap plate adds mass to the top so perhaps thinning of braces to compensate in the same area would be an approach?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 24 2019 16:16:25

Tom Blackshear

Any addition or deletion of top thickness will cause some extra fine tuning on occasion.

Any necessary sanding depends on each guitar build.

As far as top graduation is concerned:

I try to relieve a little more wood in front of the bridge if I install a tap plate. This is a feathering process in and under and around the bridge area; keeping slightly thinner toward the center of the top just a little. This thinning makes the top receive the plate better to equalize the thickness. But it doesn't mean you have to take as much wood off to equal the plate thickness. So, very little is necessary.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 25 2019 1:13:25

JasonM

RE: Does a Pickguard alter the sound... (in reply to Tom Blackshear

Yes ok I remember you describing that in one of your tutorials. Thanks for sharing your insight.! Merry Xmas
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 25 2019 16:34:46

ernandez R

I think the main damping variable is the adhesive. Without knowing the exact brand and more important the adhesive thickness used it is hard to say. I did some poking around the 3M product website but they have hundreds of products which come in various thicknesses starting with 2mil on up. A mil is a USA measurement of .001" I have not had a golpeador with the adhesive in my hands but many other products and when dealing with variable substrate such as our spruce top in guessing a thickness of 10-20mil or more.

3M doesn't discuss the material but it is some kind of non hardening vinyl and the last thing you would want stuck to your top if sonic quality was your goal.

Lucky for me I am not talented enough to strum, cord and tap at the same time ;) so I have not felt the need for a tap plate.

I have to wonder what adhesive was used in the past?

To be honest if one was banging away at a loud juerga trying to out play those loudmouthed who could care less I doubt subtle overtones and partials are that important. Ditto dancers. I know I've read more then once how the key players all had a guitar for the show and the one they liked to play at home. Something to think about. And there is this, it would be an honor to have tapped through a spruce top... Guessing the bulk of us would not in the rest of our lives. I recall reading here and there that one reason we have many old guitars from the past was that they were unplayable and the best guitars were played to their death: long live said guitar and may one we have built should suffer such an end. Olé!

HR
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 25 2019 17:14:16

Tom Blackshear

RE: Does a Pickguard alter the sound... (in reply to ernandez R

quote:

To be honest if one was banging away at a loud juerga trying to out play those loudmouthed who could care less I doubt subtle overtones and partials are that important. Ditto dancers

Back in the 1980's Guillermo Rios used to play a Bernabe flamenco that was so loud it would intimidate the cantaor who could barely hear himself sing

Most guitarists, I knew, would play their favorite guitars and use a mic if needed.

But I agree, some of my guitars went to war and suffered a lot of damage.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 25 2019 17:55:37

Tom Blackshear

Hope you have a good one..........blessings.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 26 2019 1:31:30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post