Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Late night shop drawings   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   2 3 [4] 5 6    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Richard Jernigan

RE: Late night shop drawings (in reply to BarkellWH

Bill-

I read the Alexandria Quartet, probably as an undergraduate at university, and enjoyed it immensely.

Orient Express runs a train from Cuzco, Peru to Machu Picchu and back. We took it and spent a few days at the hotel next to the ruins while we explored the Inca city. On the way back, seated across the table from us was a woman born and raised in Alexandria during the period covered by Durell's novel. Her mother was Italian, her father Greek. At some point she became a U.S. citizen, and worked in various capacities for the United Nations in Europe and Latin America. She was retired at the time we met her, living in Santiago, Chile.

Over coffee, pastries and cognac we enjoyed her observations about Alexandria while it was still a cosmopolitan city. I brought up Durell. She thought his books reflected Alexandria pretty accurately--as an Englishman would have seen it.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2015 19:14:06

BarkellWH

RE: Late night shop drawings (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

Was my post the first ad-hominem here? I had perceived your jibes at post-modernism and non-historians arguing history to be directed towards me. If they were not, then I do indeed owe you an apology and I am embarrassed.

Miguel,

My jibes at post-modernism and non-historians writing or arguing history are directed toward professionals (primarily academics) whose fatuous attempts to overhaul well-researched and well-established ideas in fields that lie outside their areas of expertise (everything from science to history) proceed without employing the necessary rigor or tools. They often think that the latest academic fad and language ("social construct," "Nothing lies outside the text.") adequately substitutes for the intellectual rigor required in employing the scientific method or good historiography.

There was no reason for you to think my comments were directed at you. I didn't mention you once in connection with my observations. That you might support and employ post-modernism in your approach is of no concern to me. I debate the issue, not the character of my interlocutor. No apology is necessary.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2015 19:36:41

Richard Jernigan

RE: Late night shop drawings (in reply to runner

On topic--one of the topics anyhow--in today's New York Times a Marine captain reflects upon his experience in Afghanistan:

http://tinyurl.com/o9gkdw4

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 1 2015 19:51:32

estebanana

RE: Late night shop drawings (in reply to Richard Jernigan

I've never finished the Alexandria Quartet because some thing always gets in the way when I pick it back up. Most annoying.....but I will will finish.

A kind soul sent me a book about Spinoza, and I'm reading that now. It's appropriate in light of Bill's remarks about the 18th century enlightenment and the separation of secular and sacred.

I seem to be on some kind of streak with the drawings a project is emerging. I was reading g the article about drone strikes mentioned my Estevan and it said drone operators euphemistically call a kill a "bug smash" ...so I made a drawing of dead cicadas.

Then working further on the fighter drawings that will get captions from pilots' letters home.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 2 2015 13:22:30

Miguel de Maria

Okay, Bill, thanks for clarifying those comments. It really is hard to tell here in an internet thread.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 2 2015 13:59:21

runner

RE: Late night shop drawings (in reply to estebanana

Stephen, your reference to dead cicadas triggered my memory of this quote of Garcia Lorca (as repeated in Mario Bois' notes on Terremoto, in the booklet accompanying the Terremoto Grands Cantaores du Flamenco CD): "The heart gets most of them...a strange and simple people, they sing with their eyes fixed on a point shimmering on the horizon... and then they burst, like giant cicadas..." See; everything comes back to flamenco in the end....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 2 2015 15:34:25

estebanana

Keep the cicada references coming. The the insect that sounds like a jet and and fighter planes are making a good contrast.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 2 2015 23:33:11

guitarbuddha

I've never read any of the Durrell boys work. I might give the Alexandria Quartet a try.

Perhaps I would benefit from the practice of seeing events from the perspective of all of the participants rather than choosing one actor and giving them a white cowboy hat and allowing that to define the other characters.

I can't help but notice that since his name came up T.E Lawrence may well have been sympathetic to your Kipling quote as his epitaph. Or perhaps just over his bedside while convalescing from his imprisonment.

I might give the Seven Pillars of Wisdom a go along with the Durrell.

D.

PS I have to agree with you if you are alluding to Noam Chomsky, powerful and rigorous on Linguistics and embarrassing on genetics.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2015 0:01:49

runner

Speaking (singing) of cicadas:
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2015 3:00:54

Estevan

Another very fine drawing, banana-san.

quote:

Keep the cicada references coming.

crickets and cicadas sing
a rare and different tune

Terrapin Station
in the shadow of the moon...

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2015 13:31:37

Richard Jernigan

Thanks runner, a great performance by Ronstadt.

I really like her record with Los Panchos--the clave is a little less cuadrado than the latter day Mariachi Vargas with its conservatory trained musicians. Still, a great performance here.

Does it sound like a son huasteco to you, Bill? She imitates the falsetto with her head voice....

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2015 16:44:59

BarkellWH

quote:

Does it sound like a son huasteco to you, Bill? She imitates the falsetto with her head voice....

It has elements. La Cigarra, as Linda Ronstadt is singing it with her backup musicians, is a Huapango Norteno, and a very nice one indeed. I actually have La Cigarra on an old vinyl LP by Linda Ronstadt entitled "Canciones de mi Padre." You may recall that Linda grew up in Tucson, and she sings some very fine songs on this LP. I love Corridos, and my favorite song on the album is entitled "Corrido de Cananea," a lovely song.

It is very sad that Linda Ronstadt, who is about 69 or 70 now, has had Parkinson's Disease for several years. She gets around using poles (crutches) and a wheel chair, and she hasn't been able to sing for the past few years. She lives in the San Francisco Bay area. Boy, did she have a voice and could she ever sing though! She certainly is on my list of all-time favorites!

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2015 18:17:35

Mark2

name drop-I played in a latin rock band in the 80's and we opened for her when she was doing the Mexican stuff. She was amazing and we were pretty star struck seeing her arrive back stage. I heard after the fact the organizers of the benefit were a bit annoyed with her because although she donated her performance, she billed them thousands for her dress, makeup, and hair. The dress was amazing though....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2015 19:54:27

runner

Linda R deserves credit, too, for venturing to sing in creditable Spanish, a language with which she had little or no facility previously. As I recall, members of her Mexican audience, when interviewed later, managed grudging praise for her efforts at mimicry, perhaps because they regarded her as an interloper. You can sort of see in her eyes a desire to be thought well of by a difficult audience. More Power To Her! Selena didn't know Spanish either, when she started, but managed to establish a robust career.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2015 21:40:06

estebanana

quote:

Linda R deserves credit, too, for venturing to sing in creditable Spanish, a language with which she had little or no facility previously. As I recall, members of her Mexican audience, when interviewed later, managed grudging praise for her efforts at mimicry, perhaps because they regarded her as an interloper. You can sort of see in her eyes a desire to be thought well of by a difficult audience. More Power To Her! Selena didn't know Spanish either, when she started, but managed to establish a robust career.

Actually Ronstadt grew up singing in Spanish with her spanish speaking family. If a native speaker says she does not know Spanish it must be some sour grapes.

She sings at least as good a Jernigan!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2015 23:29:12

runner

I stand somewhat corrected. Ronstadt indeed grew up singing Mexican songs in Spanish, but was not fully bilingual. Again, I salute her strength and her skill. Canciones remains the largest-selling non-English-language album in US history.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2015 0:07:38

BarkellWH

Linda Ronstadt's brother, Peter Ronstadt. was chief of police in Tucson from 1981 to 1991, when he retired. He actually sang harmony on a couple of Linda Ronstadt's songs.

Linda's album "Canciones de me Padre" has some wonderful songs: Huapangos, Corridos, and Rancheros. Really good stuff.

Word is, when Linda performed in Madrid, she stayed at the Emperador, requested and got the Jernigan Suite, and demanded that Richard appear with her on stage and sing harmony. She almost pulled out of the performance when told that Richard could not make it, but relented and went on with the performance when she was told that Richard was in Kwajalein and could not make it to the performance on time. Any further correspondence between them is known only to the parties involved (that old salty dog!).

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2015 1:53:04

Miguel de Maria

I think she said her rule was that if she wasn't singing a certain style by the time she was 10 years old, she wouldn't try it later.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2015 2:36:12

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

She sings at least as good as Jernigan!

In Granada a few years ago I chatted with the university student who was watching the small hotel while the owner was out running errands. We were the only guests at the moment. Larisa had heard me handling tourist stuff, but it was the first time she had heard me at any length in Spanish. With her fluent Italian she could follow along pretty well, and speak a little Spanish.

She smiled and said, "You actually can speak Spanish!"

The university student politely added, "Yes. He speaks very well."

"Does he sound like a Spaniard?"

"I think he may have learned Spanish in...Central America."

"Where in Central America?" asked Larisa, sensing a possible polite prevarication.

"....perhaps, Mexico?"

Being told in Spain that you speak like a Mexican is like being told by a posh Englishman that you sound like an Australian.

Larisa noted my brief, slight smile and looked inquisitive.

"Like an educated Mexican," the student hastened to add.

The student, though she said she was born and raised in Granada, put thetas (lisped S's) everywhere a Salamancan would have, and had not a trace of the distinctive rhythm of andalú. Her meter was dignified and sententious castellano. I wondered how long it had taken her to achieve that.

At Palau in the 1990s my friend and I dove at Fish 'n Fins. Francis Toribiong had just sold it to an Israeli couple who had been running a live-aboard dive boat there for three years. The Israeli woman drove us back to our hotel, which was a little way out of town. She mentioned they had spent time in Spain. My friend said I spoke Spanish. The Israeli woman addressed me, I replied. She exclaimed in English, "But you speak just like an American! We learned to speak like the Spanish!"

My friend observed quietly, "I have always admired the Israelis for their diplomacy and tact."

One of these days I will spend a winter in Salamanca to acquire castellano, and solidify my image in Latin America as a supercilious twit.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2015 4:46:44

estebanana

quote:

Word is, when Linda performed in Madrid, she stayed at the Emperador, requested and got the Jernigan Suite, and demanded that Richard appear with her on stage and sing harmony. She almost pulled out of the performance when told that Richard could not make it, but relented and went on with the performance when she was told that Richard was in Kwajalein and could not make it to the performance on time. Any further correspondence between them is known only to the parties involved (that old salty dog!).

Truly Bill, the stuff of which legend is from.

Ever vigilant Jernigan stood fast on Kwajalein and faced the West saying "I can see Russia from here" and valorously protected us from Putin's nasty predecessors. Whilst meanwhile in Madrid Ronstadt bravely faced the Iberian audience sans her musical twin, R. Jernigan.

Like two proud Andalusian fighting bulls they each sacrificed for our greater good and held forth steadfastly in the face of musical and political adversity.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2015 8:35:34

BarkellWH

quote:

My friend observed quietly, "I have always admired the Israelis for their diplomacy and tact."

Yes, didn't we see an example of that in spades yesterday in Washington, DC at a joint session of Congress?! But I will go no further with this, for were I to comment further, it no doubt would result in Simon locking this thread, and we have been having some great discussions and should keep the thread going.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2015 10:57:12

Estevan

quote:

Yes, didn't we see an example of that in spades yesterday in Washington, DC at a joint session of Congress?!

I hope you saw John Stewart's brilliant analysis of that speech. If not, you can find it easily enough online. Even Haaretz ran it!

quote:

But I will go no further with this, for were I to comment further, it no doubt would result in Simon locking this thread, and we have been having some great discussions and should keep the thread going.

Quite so.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2015 20:57:22

estebanana

RE: Late night shop drawings (in reply to Estevan

quote:

quote:

Yes, didn't we see an example of that in spades yesterday in Washington, DC at a joint session of Congress?!

I hope you saw John Stewart's brilliant analysis of that speech. If not, you can find it easily enough online. Even Haaretz ran it!

I'm going look for this at lunch today. I can't watch the Daily show here until it get sup loaded to You tube or where ever.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2015 23:13:49

[Deleted] (in reply to Richard Jernigan

[Deleted by Admins]

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2015 13:15:17

estebanana

Good point Shroomy, maybe you could hazard starting a conversation. I think as long as it stays civil we could try. I think everyone in this convo tries to communicate with care.

Well I've been doing more guitar and cello making work than drawing this week, but a friend of mine requested I draw the ME 262. I began looking for images to work with. What an amazing look airplane. I've known of it since I was a kid, bur relooking it's quite piece of hardware.

Attachment (2)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2015 13:28:59

runner

The 262--such a beautiful, sinister-appearing aircraft. I've read accounts of P-51 Mustang pilots who encountered the Sturmvogel in action and who felt absolutely helpless and hopeless in their attempts to engage it. Messerschmitt built almost 1500 of them, thankfully far too late for them to have any effect on the outcome of WWII; I wonder how many exist today.

Based on my observations of Off-Topic sections of other fora (look at paddling.net's Bicker and Banter section), it would take both stern supervision by a monitor, and determined self-control by the participants, to ensure an entirely rational, fact-driven (and what are the facts?) discussion of current political and geopolitical issues. We've done pretty well on mass extinctions, art, True Believers as a phenomenon, etc., and I would hope that we could maintain the tone, but even here an element of personal jibe, getting close to ugliness, has reared its head at times. We could make the attempt, but with the understanding that each exercise iron control over their passions, and that if we allow the experiment to exceed the bounds of civil discourse even once, the plug gets pulled.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2015 14:00:50

estebanana

The thing about aviation in the 20th century leading up to jet fighters is that it happened so fast. In 1890 Lillenthal was gliding and there 262 was built 50 years later. In historical terms that is fast advancement technology.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2015 14:49:39

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

The thing about aviation in the 20th century leading up to jet fighters is that it happened so fast. In 1890 Lillenthal was gliding and there 262 was built 50 years later. In historical terms that is fast advancement technology.

My father learned to fly in a Curtiss "Jenny"

The last plane he was checked out in was the F-105

It's been six or seven years since I have been to the Air and Space Museum in downtown Washington DC. Then you walked in under the Wright brothers' original plane, which flew in the year my father was born. On the right, at the end of a long hallway was one of the Apollo moon landers. The Apollo lander's electronics looked incredibly ancient.

My brother was Head of the Flight Medicine Branch of the NASA Manned Space Flight Center throughout the Apollo program--two generations from Kitty Hawk to the moon. Dad was only 64 years old when Armstrong and Aldrin landed on the moon.

I was Test Director at Kwajalein for Space-X's first flights. If my brother and I live as long as our parents did, Elon says they are going to send people to Mars well within our lifetime.

RNJ

Attachment (2)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2015 22:51:10

runner

Given the financial constraints on NASA, I personally begrudge every dime spent on manned space flight, as the dollars going there are not available for unmanned exploration. The actual science that has resulted from either the ISS or the various moon landings is dwarfed by the returns of the various science satellites orbiting earth and other solar system objects--I revel today as Dawn enters orbit around Ceres, having already visited Vesta. I have no problem with Elon Musk or any of the other Silicon Valley enthusiasts spending only their own money on these various projects dear to their hearts, but, when questioned about the usefulness of manned vs. unmanned space exploration, the majority of astronomers, astrophysicists, planetary-body specialists, etc. would prefer greater NASA funding for the latter. The argument is made often, though, that only manned exploration attracts and holds public interest and support for space/astronomy funding and for a NASA budget at the size that it is, or hopes to be. But this could be an area where public candor about means and ends could be damaging to the whole enterprise (I never posted this; whoever says I did is a liar).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2015 23:49:55

Richard Jernigan

I saw the Apollo program as part of the Cold War. Sending people to the moon and back was a huge technological public relations stunt. The advance of technology accelerated even beyond the pace Stephen refers to.

But I was part of the other technological side of the Cold War. Before the Cold War ended with the collapse of the Soviet Union and I moved to Kwajalein, my job was to defeat the Soviet strategic missile defense systems. The potentially fatal conflict was part of my daily life.

I have never talked to my brother about the Cold War aspects of his job. I thought it was obvious. For him it was an enormous technical and human challenge, and a privilege to be part of a historic undertaking. Several years ago the Aerospace Medicine Society gave him the Hubertus Strughold Award for contributions to space medicine.

Whether it was worth the money spent on Apollo to do the Soviets one in the eye is endlessly debatable. But prolonged demonstration of U.S. technical superiority was a significant, though by no means determining factor in the collapse of the Soviet Union.

The Soviets were ahead when the U.S.A. joined the space race.

I agree that manned space flight is not an efficient way to do science.

Musk's motivation seems to me to be twofold. He likes making history. But he also sincerely believes it is human destiny to colonize at least other planets.

If he pulls it off, it will have been done far more efficiently than any present government could have. After my brother retired as head of aerospace medicine from a major medical school, he was hired by a few of those who wanted to pay the Russian space agency $20-million for a tourist ride. His job was to prove they were fit enough to go. He said the Russians were even more risk-averse and inefficient than the sclerotic bureaucracy NASA has become.

After I had dealt with government customers for years at Kwajalein, Space-X was a breath of fresh air. Somehow Musk had found someone, or some small set of people who could identify the cream of the crop in the rocket business. Elon recruited a cherry-picked team of fast moving, brilliant people. If I had a question about one of their tests, I picked up the phone and had the answer within minutes, plus a confirming email before the end of the day. Dealing with the U.S. government getting the answer typically took weeks, months...maybe never.

But Space-X is now largely funded by the freight and passenger business to the International Space Station, which is not particularly useful, and is rapidly becoming even less so with the widening rift between Russia and the USA.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2015 0:50:16
Page:   <<   <   2 3 [4] 5 6    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   2 3 [4] 5 6    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote