Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Francisco Molina guitars   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Adrian Jordan

Francisco Molina guitars 

Hello,

New to the forum, I have an interest in taking up flamenco some time in the not to distant future and wanted some advice.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of Francisco Molina and, if so, are his guitars any good?

Regards,

Adrian
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2015 19:33:32

bernd

RE: Francisco Molina guitars (in reply to Adrian Jordan

Hi Adrian,

"any good" is a wide term. I never heard about this luthier but that doesn´t mean he´s bad. I´m in Germany. There are some luthiers from Mexico in the US that are quite unknown in Europe.

There are some more significant aspects in a good flamenco guitar than the luthier´s name. Important is a low action at bridge that shouldn´t be more than 9 mm. Above 9 mm you surely will need a very long nail plate. A big one-piece golpeador is better than a version of two single pieces where some space under the strings is left free providing high potencial for surface damage. Another important spot is the sound that should bring an authentic flamenco sound. Clear percussive tone and an aggressiv crispy bite is a Must! The more it provides, the better the sound; at best it´s muy flamenco.

If you have small hands, than you should focus on the industrial standard measure of 650 mm scale length and 52 mm width at saddle. There are flamencas available with 660/55 mm that are impossible for me. The material of saddle and bridge inlay should be of bone, not plastic. A flamenca blanca consists of a cypress body, a negra of rosewood. The decision for blanca or negra is just a matter of taste.

I wouldn´t buy a flamenco guitar at any shop. They very often provide a stepmotherly knowledge in flamenco guitars and insufficient possibilitiy of comparison.

Good luck!

Saludos
Bernd

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 26 2015 23:15:26

machopicasso

Adrian, welcome to the foro.

Where are you located? Someone here may be able to direct you to knowledgeable people in your area for the purpose of finding a solid flamenco guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2015 10:36:24

jmb

Have you ever play other kind of guitars? I mean classical, etectric, wire acoustic, etc...

Try several guitars and compare before any decision.

Suenas payo ¡y lo sabes!

Sing and string - other flamenco blog
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2015 11:38:37

RobJe

These guitars are sold by ATALAYA MUSICAL who have a factory in Benalua (in the province of Granada, Spain). They claim that the guitars are actually made in Spain and that is possibly true. I have also read elsewhere that they produce several thousand guitars per year.

http://www.atly.es/

It is wiser to buy a second-hand guitar to start with. After a year of progress you would be in a much better position to choose wisely. The label on a guitar is only a rough guide to what it might be like - there is considerable variation. Sadly you need to play to choose.

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 27 2015 13:50:03

Adrian Jordan

Hello everyone thanks for all the replies.

I have played other guitars before, and still do play. I was just looking for a guitar that would effectively let me get a feel for flamenco and practice it. I see the yamaha 172sf is often recommended around here, but it is quite expensive compared to in America and so I was just trying to see if there were any other available options. I am based in the UK.

The main reason I asked about Francisco Molina guitars is because they offer an all solid Spruce top/Cypress back and sides with an ebony fretboard for about £300 and this seems to good to be true (it is also cheaper than the yamaha).

Although if anyone has any recommendations for guitars that are available in the UK (I live in the Leicestershire area if that helps) I would be glad to hear them.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2015 8:07:48

bernd

I´ve searched the web to get some more info on the Molina guitar, but there is too less substancial info available. On some fotos my impression was an action at bridge like a classical guitar. That´s strictly a disadvantage.

On ebay Spain this guitar costs around 500 €. By my opinion, an all-solid guitar at such a low price on the first moment is very impressive. But it´s the same thing as it is on all-solid classical guitars; you can be sure to get a fresh-wood construction what (for me) is the definite main reason for NOT buying it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 28 2015 10:05:00

polifonia

RE: Francisco Molina guitars (in reply to bernd

Hello, my name is Francisco Molina, I am luthier from Granada, Spain but I Have moved my workshop to Barcelona, I apologize because I have not been visible on the Internet until very recently, I have decided to be visible so that anyone can know my work, if someone want information about my work or my guitars will be for me a pleasure to give all the information that you need, also you can visit my website franciscomolinaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 1 2018 20:17:29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post