Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Too lazy to think?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Sr. Martins

Too lazy to think? 

This might come out as a rant but Iam interested on knowing what's your view on the following subject..

Lately I've been noticing almost everywhere that people regard something as being "true or false / useful vs not useful" by the apparent background of who's saying it.

Take youtube for instance, there are many videos where even famous people are clearly talking about what they don't know or doing plain marketing for the brands they represent.. more often than not, there comes an enlightened soul who tries to inform people on the subject but people react like:

"You're not Steve Vai so you don't know"

"Show us your videos smartass"

....well, you know the kind of responses (I don't comment on youtube videos but some comments are worth a read).

How come that we got into the age of information and people are getting an even lazier brain? All they want is somekind of role model to tell them what to think (or buy) and act like total dummies everytime that someone says "hey, here's some facts...now think for yourself what's best for you".

Iam seeing this mentality coming out to "the real world", people just want something that looks like it has credit, even if there's no substance behind what is being said.

The thought process is somewhere in the "What is the best food? McDonalds sells a lot and has restaurants everywhere... that has to be the best food in the world!".

I thought the days of people being fooled by commercials where an actor says "Iam a doctor and this is good for you" were reaching the end but it looks like the new trend is "Iam too lazy to look up information or to think for myself, can't even evaluate the arguments at the table and give appropriate (fundamented) answers to people or to myself.. so Iam happy with whatever nonsense that is thrown at me and I'll gladly recommend it to other people who, like me, are lazy in the head".

Have you noticed this? How do you deal with it? If it's someone close to you, do you give up reasoning or do you try to "lecture" them on how appearences/interests/marketing/industries are confusing their good judgement?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2015 15:25:09

BarkellWH

RE: Too lazy to think? (in reply to Sr. Martins

quote:

The thought process is somewhere in the "What is the best food? McDonalds sells a lot and has restaurants everywhere... that has to be the best food in the world!".

With all due respect, I do not consider this a major problem. Yes, there are no doubt people who view a faux doctor advising them to take this or that anti-acid, or a Hollywood grade B actor advising them to buy this or that bauble, and go out and buy them. But that has been around since the dawn of television.

You stated at the beginning that, "This may come out as a rant." Whether or not it is a rant I leave to others to decide. Nevertheless, I do think it is a bit overwrought. For instance, I have never heard anyone, even those who buy the occasional McDonald's Big Mac, suggest that McDonald's "has to be the best food in the world!"

Pick up your guitar and play a nice Solea', and I'm sure that the world will seem a better place.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2015 15:40:16

guitarbuddha

RE: Too lazy to think? (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

ORIGINAL: BarkellWH

For instance, I have never heard anyone, even those who buy the occasional McDonald's Big Mac, suggest that McDonald's "has to be the best food in the world!"

Bill

Hi Bill, I actually have heard that argument made in earnest.

I guess I would have found it more depressing if I was a chef. But I have enough friends who are chefs that I do not laugh it off entirely.

'More means worse' was how Kingsley Amis regarded the deregulation of TV, he was correct, youtube continues this trend.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2015 15:52:21

Sr. Martins

I didn't mean that someone said that about a Big Mac, it was just to serve as an example for the thought process.

Pretty sure that there will always be people like that.. the thing is that I enjoy helping people when it's about something I know. I never told anyone "here, this is how this is...it's a rule", I just show them a way, give some food for thought and hopefully they will find what works best for them.

Today I've gone through that "feeling" that Iam describing... I was helping someone on a subject, just giving some pointers for the guy to know where to begin... he proposes me a "challenge", which consisted on me doing almost a video lesson tailored for him in order to prove my credits. The stupid thing is that my credits on the subject could be easily found but, most of all, the credits don't mean a thing when you have a brain to make something out of the information you're provided with!

It's like you asking "how do I build a major chord?" and a trumpetist comes along and shows you how it works and you answer "sorry, I haven't seen a video of you playing guitar".

I think this is dumb but hey, maybe Iam taking a wrong look at things.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2015 16:00:25

runner

I used to have a poster on my wall at work that listed almost every variation and extension of Murphy's Law, such as "A $500 television will blow to protect a 50-cent fuse". But the most accurate of Murphy's many insights was this: "95% of everything is crap." And in many areas of human life and thought, that figure may represent a minimum. Armed with that information, one can face the world from a position of strength.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2015 16:06:16

Sr. Martins

RE: Too lazy to think? (in reply to runner

quote:

Armed with that information, one can face the world from a position of strength.

Liked that, you should write some lyrics today.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2015 16:08:59

Dudnote

I think I know what you mean Sr Martins. I've been listenning to a fair bit of classical on youtube recently and you can often find the comments degenerate into a slanging match about whether so and so is playing too stiff or what ever. Yawn!

Try this thought experiment. I came across this quote today and found it hard to come up with a counter argument that wasnt trite - like Nino Miguel's fandango, this may take me a very long time. Perhaps you can do better...

"When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind." Jiddu Krishnamurti
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2015 21:08:16

Escribano

RE: Too lazy to think? (in reply to Dudnote

With the current, heightened atmosphere of religious and racial tension in Europe and elsewhere, I would not welcome comments on this quote. This is not the place. Thanks for your understanding.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2015 21:24:47

Sr. Martins

Well, I think I can see what part of the problem is... I just don't know what could I do besides being mindful about what's happening.

If you try to show a different perspective about something and ask people to think, often times they will revert to their "protect mind programming at all cost" status and there will be not much to talk about at that point, even when the idea you're spreading is "Think" instead of "There you have it, things are like this. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

It's like wanting to learn jazz and know more theory and concepts about music but not doing it because your favourite rock guitar player says "I know nothing about music, worked for me."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2015 21:32:14

Leñador

Our generation(Rui and I) is really bad about this. They main line media like it's heroine. I like to think I do my part to help the problem by being anti-everything(that's a joke) but for the most part it's an uphill battle. Have a conversation with a random person 30 and under at a bar and you'll want to cry. Kanye West and Katy Perry are gods, you should love their music, dress like them, follow their word etc etc it's pretty bad out there.....

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 15 2015 22:23:52

guitarbuddha

RE: Too lazy to think? (in reply to Leñador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leñador

Have a conversation with a random person 30 and under at a bar and you'll want to cry. Kanye West and Katy Perry are gods, you should love their music, dress like them, follow their word etc etc it's pretty bad out there.....

Yeah man it's like if you don't say one of the two or three things they are expecting you to it's like you are irrelevant so the conversation goes on like as if you hadn't spoken.

Like puppies fighting over a plastic bone ignoring fresh meat because it smells weird to them.

Hey ho I'm off to look at pictures of vampires until I find them interesting, I may be some time.

One last point at a tangent to a direction hitherto discouraged. When considering any odd event ask yourself, who profits by this ? I mean really and truly who profits ? who will do well by this ? whose agenda will this help deliver ? whose community will have be more comfortable as a result of predictable consequences ?

Asking oneself this question for fun a few times a day is a good way to avoid the temptations of propaganda and also the more private vice of certainty.

One question might be 'Who profits from musical illiteracy ?'

There are others.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2015 0:54:50

Sr. Martins

RE: Too lazy to think? (in reply to guitarbuddha

I find that the problem is not with the ones who even consider those questions, much less with the ones who actually look at what the possible answers are...

The problem is exactly the ones who don't question anything and take, for instance, MTV as their bible and cultural role model.

Those who benefit from this kind of mentality will certainly keep feeding it... although Iam pretty sure they have double standards when it comes to educating their own children and choosing their close friends.

Iam pretty sure that in a distant future there will be an equivalent to a tv show where people will laugh their asses off by hearing about how our society as evolved since the industrialization era.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2015 1:32:00

Miguel de Maria

Welcome to the place called.... being old.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2015 2:29:58

Sr. Martins

RE: Too lazy to think? (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

Welcome to the place called.... being old.

I would be ok with that but I don't feel experienced enough to call on that achievement yet.

Maybe all this is due to young adults with lazy brains that didn't expand that much since childhood...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2015 2:40:50

edguerin

Back in the 50s my parents founded SPIT (Society for the Prevention of Individual Thinking) with following rules:
If it's in the Newspaper it's true
"Everybody knows that ..." is an unbeatable argument
My wife/husband says is penultimate proof

I can't remember the other statutes, but a lot of people believed this to be serious, and wanted to become members.

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2015 7:12:21

BarkellWH

quote:

The problem is exactly the ones who don't question anything and take, for instance, MTV as their bible and cultural role model.

I know where you're coming from on this, Rui. Your quote cited above regarding MTV and Lenador's take on those who consider Kanye West worthy of worship point out the complete shallowness and lack of ability of a large group to discriminate between the meaningful and the superficial. Nevertheless, although the "idols" may have changed over the years, I think a large group that worships the superficial in society (be it music or anything else) has always existed. It's just more instantaneously apparent now because of the dreaded "social media." (That's why I mentioned in an earlier thread that I refuse to open a Face Book account, a twitter account, or carry a mobile phone around with me.)

When someone begins to natter on about MTV or Kanye West, or any of the other shallow programs and performers of today, I usually stop them cold by asking, "Who is Kanye West?" Of course, at the age of 71 I can get away with that. As a younger person, if you were to do that, your interlocutor probably would look at you incredulously, but it might have the same effect. Any way you can politely dismiss the conversation as unworthy of your time is a net gain for you.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2015 13:56:36

Sr. Martins

Getting Kanye West and MTV into the subject was more of a way to get everyone on the same page regarding thought process (or lack of it).

The real dilema here is how to deal with people who have that chip implemented into their brain. (Iam talking about people that you care for at least a bit)

If you just understand how things are and be passive about it, are you really doing the right thing? On the other hand, is there a sure way to try to show things to people without making them feel stupid? (when that happens, the shields will be raised and all the programmed crap will come out as a defense...even if deep inside they are thinking "this guy has a point")
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2015 14:41:36

Richard Jernigan

I believe that at some level we all operate on unexamined principles. Otherwise we would be mentally paralyzed.

For example, I have a good friend who is an elementary school teacher. She said she prefers students in the fourth or fifth year of school, because it is frustrating (to her) to deal with first year students who don't understand that 1+1=2. "Why don't they just figure it out?" she exclaimed.

An effort was made to train me as a mathematician. I pointed out that at some stage of human cultural development, numbers were invented. They didn't always just exist. The Greeks, geniuses though they were, didn't consider the square root of two or pi to be numbers, because they couldn't be expressed as the quotient of two integers. Later mathematicians treated them and many other irrationals as numbers in full standing.

Kronecker notoriously said, "The integers are the work of God, all the rest are due to mankind." Dedekind, the first to publish an axiom set for the real numbers (including the irrationals like the square root of two) in 1871, replied, "Kronecker would say that. Before he was a mathematician he was a banker."

My friend, a very intelligent woman, strenuously resisted the idea that someone, or some succession of people invented the integers. I pointed out the repeated discovery of cultures whose repertoire of numbers was limited to something like "one, two, three, many." Their cultures had not yet invented the full (infinite) set of integers.

After several minutes of discussion my friend calmed down a bit and began to listen to what I had to say. She remains an interesting friend because she is willing to examine her previously unexamined principles, and to engage mine. She sets me straight fairly often.

It is seldom very interesting to talk very long to someone who not only will not examine their previously unexamined assumptions, but is totally unaware that such a thing could be done.

Kanye West? I recollect President Obama criticizing him a while back. Mentioning Obama in Texas will often provoke a lengthy recitation of vehemently held unexamined beliefs, rendering it impossible to discuss his successes and failures.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2015 15:26:18

Sr. Martins

RE: Too lazy to think? (in reply to Richard Jernigan

I like that expression "unexamined principles", makes sense in this context.

That reminds me of how people (not "scientifically" inclined) get really confused and then really amazed when I explain and make games with them regarding numbering systems.

After you've destroyed the decimal system and introduce how binary works, people think they understand and then they realize they don't.... but when they really do understand, you can make games with them like "what's the next number?" given that your symbols are "zero, B, car, orange" for example. Good fun
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2015 15:50:32

BarkellWH

quote:

Getting Kanye West and MTV into the subject was more of a way to get everyone on the same page regarding thought process (or lack of it). The real dilema here is how to deal with people who have that chip implemented into their brain. (Iam talking about people that you care for at least a bit)

Rui, there are (and always have been, in my experience) a large cohort who are either unable or unwilling to think independently (a prerequisite for examining previously unexamined principles and assumptions). They are quite happy to run with the herd, whether it be taste (or lack thereof) in music and art, buying a laxative, or subscribing to the latest pseudo-science. When you detect that your interlocutor is seized by the "herd mentality," you needn't remain passive or exhaust yourself trying to explain. There is no reason to pursue the conversation further. You may wish to excuse yourself, practice deception by going to the rest room, and when you emerge find another seat at the bar. In other words, you don't have to deal with them.

Richard, As I recall, although Obama may have criticized Kanye West, when he was campaigning in 2008, he made a big show of calling Jay-Z his idol. Not much better, in my opinion. Whatever his Presidential successes and failures may be (and that always makes for an interesting discussion), I have yet to be convinced that he has examined what may be his unexamined notions of aesthetics in music.

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2015 16:59:19

Paul Magnussen

RE: Too lazy to think? (in reply to runner

quote:

But the most accurate of Murphy's many insights was this: "95% of everything is crap."

That’s paraphrased from Sturgeon’s Law (see Wikipedia).

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2015 17:17:10

Sr. Martins

quote:

Richard, As I recall, although Obama may have criticized Kanye West, when he was campaigning in 2008, he made a big show of calling Jay-Z his idol. Not much better, in my opinion. Whatever his Presidential successes and failures may be (and that always makes for an interesting discussion), I have yet to be convinced that he has examined what may be his unexamined notions of aesthetics in music.

Politicians have a tendency to mention what they think will make them look cool, even if it totally backfires... they'll only know it after the fact. There's a portuguese politician who was once asked if he enjoyed Chopin, he answered somthing like "Yes, I love Chopin! Those violins are beautiful."

Regarding the original question, I understand what you mean but wouldn't you think that being passive about it is the same as saying "I don't care, let the future generations deal with it"? If you think of humanity as a human body for instance, wouldn't it be like saying "I've got an infection on my feet but since it's just a little itch and nobody sees it, I don't care."

...eventually you'll be an amputee. In my point of view, one can make consciously "bad" decisions if they don't affect anyone else but.. isn't being "a passive enabler" a way of rapidly growing that fungus all over the body?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2015 17:19:14

Dudnote

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sr. Martins
"what's the next number?" given that your symbols are "zero, B, car, orange" for example. Good fun

B - as in 2 B or not to be
car - has 4 wheels
he 8 the orange
16 = the 4th power of 2

yes good fun. I like very mutch the style Bill used when he wrote about the "unexamined principals" and agree with much of what he wrote, but I disagree (hypocritically, because I also walk away) with Bill that you don't have to address them. Ultimately we do because we all live in the same world and these people have the same rights to vote as you or I, and worse than that, disillusioned lost youth pose a threat to all of us because if someone tells them to commit acts of violence they will. This lies at the very heart of the debate in France today, what is feared in France is a culture of dogma and believing without question what you are told because that is the end of intellectual freedom. The big question is how to do that? It seems confrontation is unavoidable because unshackelling the intellence of a body of people amounts to a loss of power to those that control those people.

Where you write "fungus" I'd have writen "cancer", yes completely agree, doing nothing seems intolerable, but what strategy to take?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2015 17:40:52

Dudnote

A recent artical published in Nature on the liberty of expression debate
http://www.nature.com/news/science-and-satire-1.16703
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2015 17:58:02

Sr. Martins

quote:

but what strategy to take?

That's my point
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2015 18:18:13

guitarbuddha

I just skimmed Dudnotes' article and was struck by an often forgotten and currently too often ignored, yet necessary, quality of satire. Satire, as a moral instrument, should be aimed at power. For me mockery is not satire when aimed at the disenfranchised, the oblivious or at those who come late and unawares to the feast.

Schadenfreude is a comic approach which, like satire, is broadly Anglo-Saxon in origin but it has very very different objectives and it's history is, for me, less noble.

Saying all that schadenfreude has at least the virtue of being less Quixotic.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 16 2015 20:24:22

Dudnote

RE: Too lazy to think? (in reply to guitarbuddha

It is clear that those with power over the oblivious and disenfranchised will do everthing they can to tell their subjects that satire aimed at power is mockery and blasphemy. Does the worlds most talked about satirical image merit being labeled Quixotic? We see images of violent reprecussions in various countries, but you only need a few hundred angry guys to start fighting among them selves to generate such images. The international component of moderate believers who reflect silently on what might bring tears to the eyes of one of the world's greatest humanitarians are an unmeasurable entity. But bear in mind there were repressentants of a great diversity of faiths at the Paris march joined in soledarity.

One thing is clear, the strategies of French satirists are far far less dangerous than those of some of the "democratically" elected western leaders of the modern age. What this man is doing and saying is nothing short of heroic
http://juergentodenhoefer.de/?lang=en
I was confused at first by why he might say "only the moderate Sunnis can defeat ISIS", but on reflection it is quite clear, but first you must accept that NATO bombs only fuel terrorism, why else would ISIS recieve 50 international recruits everyday?

In the western world we all need to ask ourselves and those around us why we've been too lazy to stop our governments fuelling terrorism with their bombs. I became lazy on the issue when I was released by police for try to throw eggs at president Bush when be visited Tony Blair in 2001. The UK's largest protest in history was completely ineffective. Disillusion followed and now we have ISIS declaring death to the infidels.

Was there ever a greater need of satire?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2015 9:53:36

BarkellWH

Perhaps we should draw back a bit from discussing the specific atrocity perpetrated by ignorant, imprisoned minds against Charlie Hebdo in Paris. It rubs all of us who value open minds and freedom of expression raw. Nevertheless, Simon requested we not dig into the subject, given the current atmosphere and threats in Europe and elsewhere. He's right. This probably is not the forum to have that specific discussion.

Nevertheless, on the general topic that Rui brought up in this thread, I would suggest that we have to be very careful not to assume that because an interlocutor disagrees with us it means he is "too lazy to think," or that he hasn't considered all alternative opinions before coming to his conclusion.

Clearly, there are those who reach conclusions on the basis of ignorance, with minds imprisoned by ideology, faith, or plain old narrow-mindedness. And some because they really are too lazy to think. Those who reject the overwhelming evidence for evolution and natural selection and assert that the Earth is 6,000 years old come readily to mind. Those who reject various genres of art and music without ever having experienced them are another example.

But it also is entirely possible that our interlocutor who disagrees with us has looked at all the evidence and simply reached a different conclusion. In politics and international relations, for example, there are "wing nuts" on both the left and the right who are driven, not by evidence and history, but by ideology. On the other hand, there are liberals and conservatives who know their history, have reviewed the evidence under consideration, and legitimately disagree on causes and prescriptions for the way forward. Theirs is a legitimate disagreement based on different interpretations of the same evidence.

The same could be said of disagreements over art, music, the level of government taxation and how the resulting revenue should be spent, and a host of other issues. The point is, one should not automatically assume that just because someone else holds a different opinion, he has not thought the issue through and is too lazy to think. I have found that often that is the case, but just as often someone's disagreement with me demonstrates a thoughtful, considered alternative to my own opinion and understanding of the issue under discussion.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2015 11:24:05

Sr. Martins

BarkellWH,

I understand what you're saying but in my opinion it's really easy to spot where the person's response is coming from... sometimes body language while expressing their "preference/idea" is enough but then comes the absolutely illogical/vain/"not a product of thinking" argumentation is the ultimate trigger to make you think "Oh boy, this is so wrong at so many levels that I don't even know if it's worth the debate".

You know... those moments when 1 - 1 = "the square root of magnesium"

*facepalm*
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2015 11:44:15

guitarbuddha

Sometimes the very guy whose dismissal of new information seemed curt and willfully ignorant is the same guy who comes back and asks for explanation later. Sure they were a pain in the as$ to me at the time but it I still try and pay things forward, I hope I will always have enough hope to try.

And of course I will try and recognise when I am tempted to be the first guy.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 17 2015 12:02:30
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote