Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Peña Vargas Guitars..?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

tijeretamiel

RE: Peña Vargas Guitars..? (in reply to xirdneH_imiJ

Please post a video if you can. There's a MRW Pena Vargas on YT which sounds amazing, would be great to hear yours.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2015 21:35:16

tele

I think Davids(altough his brother is assistant in building) guitars sounded pretty decent especially for the price of 2000 euros when I was in his shop a few times(tried two blancas and listened to a negra), but the heel shaping, high bone and action at bridge and very round fingerboard edges could have been improved. He also used triangle files for the nut which didn't seem very professional to me. He really is working hard (a guitar is completed in about two-three weeks he says) and has really great clients from the pros of jerez, could be a big plus in marketing.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2015 22:12:50

tijeretamiel

RE: Peña Vargas Guitars..? (in reply to tele

quote:

ORIGINAL: tele
He also used triangle files for the nut which didn't seem very professional to me.

What do you mean by this?

I have no idea what that means!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2015 23:14:44

tele

RE: Peña Vargas Guitars..? (in reply to tijeretamiel

quote:

ORIGINAL: tijeretamiel

quote:

ORIGINAL: tele
He also used triangle files for the nut which didn't seem very professional to me.

What do you mean by this?

I have no idea what that means!

It means using triangle file on a bone nut will create "V" shaped slots for the strings

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2015 23:50:49

bernd

RE: Peña Vargas Guitars..? (in reply to tele

quote:

It means using triangle file on a bone nut will create "V" shaped slots for the strings

There´s another point. Saddle files provide a half-round and smooth U shape in the bottom to give the string a better contact. The triangle file provides a V shape giving the strings pressure on their sides. But we should have to keep in mind that some luthiers at first use a saddlle file and then belated attach a V shape additionally to have a better opening on the top of the slot. So in this case the triangle file doesn´t affect the U shape.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2015 7:22:27

beno

Richard's guitar is a cannon.
as for the aesthetics: it looks great, I especially love the wood selection, the madagascar rosewood looks super cool, altough it's so dark, that's hard to capture trough a camera, and the red lining in the middle... I just like it. Nice clean work.
The guitar is LOUD, has projection and punch, I had to step back a 1,5meter to get the full tone-scope. It feels very fresh yet, but already has a very spicy full tone, and it will develop further....
The first guitar I liked the luthier strings on
The action at the 12th fret - 3,5 mm seems high, HOWEVER, it does NOT feel uncomfortable, maybe because the action at the bridge is very low. As we agreed maybe a little lowering on the nut is needed, but not on the saddle. there's space for that, so Richard can experiment.
The shaping of the heel looks a bit too big, but it didn't mean a problem when playing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2015 7:44:19

beno

to my surprise, the guitar is different in many ways from as I would expect, yet it's a very fine instrument....I mean it feels heavy in weight, altought very resonant....the action looks high, yet it feels very comfortable...
the tuners work very smooth.
And I think the strongest quality of this guitar is a very strong clear sound and perfect note-separation.
At this or any price this guitar easily beats some very big names.
Looks like a bright future on Pena Vargas guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2015 7:51:02

tele

RE: Peña Vargas Guitars..? (in reply to bernd

quote:

ORIGINAL: bernd

quote:

There´s another point. Saddle files provide a half-round and smooth U shape in the bottom to give the string a better contact. The triangle file provides a V shape giving the strings pressure on their sides. But we should have to keep in mind that some luthiers at first use a saddlle file and then belated attach a V shape additionally to have a better opening on the top of the slot. So in this case the triangle file doesn´t affect the U shape.

I asked him about the saddle files and he said they're too expensive, which is true, but for a guitar builder it's important to have a set.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2015 10:40:14

minorthang

quote:

a guitar is completed in about two-three weeks he says)

isnt that incredible to create something so magnificent in that time ! wow

really envious u have a great guitar - how long has he been building ? he seems relatively young and i wonder what if any difference from his making techniques i mean we hear of granada school and madrid school --

hope that sound is all your seek and dream of

i am hoping for a Vargas guitar also but i dont have 2000 funds low - im trying to negotiate a second hand one yet heard maybe a few years ago his guitars not so good as now
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2015 11:14:30

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: Peña Vargas Guitars..? (in reply to minorthang

I contacted him to build my guitar on January 13th, he said approximately 20 days. He finally sent it on February 24th but he said he was sick for a week so he couldn't work, so that's 6 weeks. I didn't rush him, just told him I can wait and build me the best guitar he could :)

I have a couple of hours in the guitar now, due to the heel shaping, the frets above 12th are slightly more difficult to reach, but it's nothing I can't get used to. I'm extremely satisfied with the playability and tonal qualities, the rest are of little consequence to me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2015 11:31:50

Sr. Martins

The heel shape is strange but... I think you shouldn't be putting your thumb on that spot to play above the 12th, at least I've always placed it under that area making pressure with the side of the thumb.

Placing the thumb at the heel curve isn't the best way to apply the opposing force towards the fingers beyond the 12th.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2015 11:45:19

timoteo

RE: Peña Vargas Guitars..? (in reply to bernd

quote:

quote:

I don't think a triangular slot is necessarily a bad thing. The triangle can accommodate strings of different diameters, so if you want to use a different brand of strings you don't have to re-file your nut. With a U shaped groove, strings that are narrower than the slot might rattle, while strings that are wider might be pinched causing tuning and intonation problems. So I think it would be wrong to dismiss a maker's work just because they choose triangular slots. I personally have no strong opinion either way - if it sounds good then it's a good guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 6 2015 19:28:47

rombsix

RE: Peña Vargas Guitars..? (in reply to amigo

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2015 12:59:45

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: Peña Vargas Guitars..? (in reply to rombsix

it's nice that they record every guitar, but after seeing so many videos made by this site, it seems they manage to make every guitar sound really bad :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2015 13:34:11

tijeretamiel

quote:

ORIGINAL: xirdneH_imiJ

it's nice that they record every guitar, but after seeing so many videos made by this site, it seems they manage to make every guitar sound really bad :)

The same guitar was on FB
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=797798700308899&pnref=story

Sounds better in that video.

Just because I keep on listening to it, here is a IRW negra
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=836755433051739&pnref=story
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2015 13:50:34

xirdneH_imiJ

I don't have time for more, but here's a very short clip. Recorded with a Sony compact camera, strangely this one has the most realistic sound, better than any recording equipment I have :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2015 14:44:48

xirdneH_imiJ

another one - don't mind the s.hitty playing (and i had the capo a bit loose, but oh well)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2015 13:46:12

Mark2

Sounds like a powerful guitar!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 10 2015 15:11:57

rombsix

Bears Family...

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2015 4:20:37

minorthang

bear gryills ??

sounds great hendrix,(congrats) , maybe a little loud -- send it back !

it sounds like it has a rather unique sound -

rombsix

that guitar is 3200 euro much more than hendrixs !
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2015 7:58:51

xirdneH_imiJ

Brazilian rosewood is of course more expensive - but this price is surely negotiable, Solera Flamenca puts about 400 extra on the price...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2015 8:07:25

minorthang

yes of course man, i think u have done well with yours-- and alegrias i hope i can play similar in the furure -- really well done
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2015 8:10:00

tijeretamiel

The Solera one will come to just under €4k with postage and VAT/IVA; their prices do not include tax.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2015 8:51:19

xirdneH_imiJ

all the more reason to deal with the luthier directly...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2015 9:16:09

minorthang

I have just joined the club too i purchased i think very cheaply a used little more than a year old Pena Vargas guitar .

Im happy with it - although the playability is a little difficult for me in the left hand especially on a picado from high e to low e - -- and the trebles dont sing as much as im use too .

but its cool loud sound booming bases and all up after tax was and freight was about 1400 Euro total, i relatively new to flamenco so its going to push me i feel.

i think ill have to try some new strings see if i can get a little more lyrical sound , tried to upload a pic but cant maybe my VPN ill try again soon with sound
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2015 13:57:09

xirdneH_imiJ

great! more details? looking forward to pictures or a video!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2015 13:46:21

tijeretamiel

quote:

ORIGINAL: minorthang

I have just joined the club too i purchased i think very cheaply a used little more than a year old Pena Vargas guitar .

Is this it?

The PV club is growing!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2015 14:05:12

minorthang

hi hendrix mate ,
Yes it is , although i got them to change the tuners to black ones , and i saved a fair few 100 euro of the listed price.

and just 20 usd tax too recieve it !!! so bargain i think - id not say its anywhere as good as yours but for me a novice in flamenco its great .

but might hard to play say on a Fmajor chord first 4 frets the fret board is a little wide for me .

the notes / possible strings seem a little tight - i mean its hard to play - not sure how to describe -- id say its more a guitar for accompaniment not so much slick paco de lucia runs ---im trying to upload a few things but cannot ---out of interest what sony camera did u record on i have one also did you use any editing software ?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2015 14:35:37

xirdneH_imiJ

Yeah it's definitely a bargain, it seems. I also found the neck a little bit unusual for what I was used to at first, but after a couple of hours I got used to it and things got easier. I still prefer a capoed guitar though, my left wrist hates even the 650mm scale. You could experiment a little bit with the action, maybe it improves for your left hand.
The camera I used was DSC-HX9V.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2015 15:03:20

minorthang

Ah yes i read that you found it s little hard - i guess as u say we have to get accoustom to it - still a bargain though id say ,, haven been playing flamenco long and had played a few guitars like a really cool bellido and a devoe yet those guitars were prices near 4 times or more above

it has just the right amount of buzz at the moment so lower action not sure and im not good at that - and in china they dont really know much about the desired sound or buzz the fellow would say ....nah nah must be clean !

yes playing like a bar from first few frets adding hammers is killing the hand ill get back to a smaller guitar and will be flying
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2015 19:50:32
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post