Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Dinner at Scoma's, en route to Samoa   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

BarkellWH

Dinner at Scoma's, en route to Samoa 

I have the good fortune to have overnighted in San Francisco last night, en route to Samoa, via Sydney, Australia and Auckland, New Zealand. As always, I went to Scoma's Seafood Restaurant on Pier 47 for a delicious seafood dinner. Scoma's is a San Francisco institution, as Richard knows. Walked up the four steps to the bar on the right of the entrance for a couple of California lagers before dinner. The huge window at the bar looks out on the waterway where the boats come in and unload and process the fish for scoma's. With the sun setting in the West, it is beautiful scene. The last time I was in San Francisco was in 2012 on my return from a gig in Micronesia. At that time Stephen was kind enough to meet me at the Edinburgh Pub, where we quaffed a few cold ones. Missed that this time Stephen.

I don't know if anyone on the Foro has any interest in Samoa, but if any interesting experiences or events occur that might spark interest, I will pass them on. The State Department asked me to go out as Charge' d'Affaires at the U.S. Embassy, as the permanently-assigned Charge' will be on leave. I was in Samoa in 2011 on a three-month gig. I had the good fortune just before that trip to be working a command staff military exercise at Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas, where Richard kindly drove from Austin to join me for dinner. Dinner with Richard, followed by a gig in Samoa, made it an interesting summer indeed.

My only current regret is the San Francisco Giants did not clinch the World Series with a win last night. It now goes to game seven in Kansas City. I admire Kansas City's spunk, but I have been a life-long Giants fan, even when they were in New York, before they moved to SF, so I have to stay with the Giants.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2014 13:36:24

Mark2

RE: Dinner at Scoma's, en route to Samoa (in reply to BarkellWH

Scoma's is great. As a native of SF, I've been there many times and it's never disappointed. BTW, my group played the World Series Gala last week, a private party for two thousand baseball folks. We are all Giants fans of course. Tonight is the night!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2014 13:54:22

Miguel de Maria

RE: Dinner at Scoma's, en route to Samoa (in reply to Mark2

Wow, two percussionists? I've always dreamed about that. Do you guys have any recordings out?

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2014 14:04:44

Mark2

Leo Rosales and Tony Menjivar. They both played in the group Malo and have played on many recordings. They are featured in a book on history of latin rock, as is Gabe Manzo, the other guitar player.
http://www.amazon.com/Voices-Latin-Rock-People-Created/dp/B0025VL9WK

All three guys are really latin rock icons. Leo was already well known in the 60's(he had done Carnegie hall and American bandstand) and Tony, who was a little kid, saw him in a supermarket and started following him around till Leo started teaching him. The two of them playing together just by themselves is unreal. I was also part of the local latin rock scene back before getting involved in flamenco and knew these guys from doing gigs together. We got this group together back in 1992 and have done way over a thousand dates together. Now days, it's only a few corporates here and there, but always a joy to be with these guys. We finished a cd back in 2000, I had been working on it for years little by little. My idea was to put together a flamenco type group but at the time I couldn't find any flamenco guitarists who were into it, so I did it with latin rockers. Probably ended up being way more successful because instead of trying to make it what I wanted it to be, I just let it be what it was. So, we are kind of semi acoustic latin rock, kinda rumba fakeamenco. We both play electric as well, but at gigs I stick to the nylon string. I mostly play rhythm and let these guys go. Of course, sometimes I'll play tangos or bulerias, sig, etc. The cd doesn't have a note of flamenco on it-that was by design. We sold a few thousand back when you could still sell cd's , and it gave us the ability to charge good money for privates. I still get a check now and then for downloads, but it wouldn't buy dinner at Scoma's.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2014 14:48:38

Miguel de Maria

RE: Dinner at Scoma's, en route to Samoa (in reply to Mark2

Nice, Mark. How cool to get to play with guys like that. I like what you said about just letting it be what it was instead of trying to make it something it wasn't. Love to listen to it if you have something online. A lesson that comes hard to some people.

Do you dig Los Super Seven?

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2014 15:04:03

Mark2

pm me your address and I'll send you a copy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2014 15:09:18

Mark2

wow, I had never heard Los Super Seven. I did do a gig with los lobos back in the day so I know some of the players, and have heard of some of the others. I do love that sound. I've played a few salsa gigs but they usually don't have guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2014 15:23:38

Mark2

Miguel,
your pm box is full. PM your snail mail address-I'm sending you a cd.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2014 16:37:10

estebanana

Bill,

I'll catch up to you on the Samona thread.

Next time we meet I will drink you under the table as I have been getting in top drinking form whilst training by imbibing the fiercest shochu.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 2 2014 22:46:39
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote