Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Rough tuning a guitar   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Jeff Highland

RE: Rough tuning a guitar (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Yep, and it makes great backs & sides. Know any wood dealers who will ship me some?

Yes there are plenty. Pricing depends on the amount of figure

Here's a back on my student's build

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 4 2014 18:44:19

Anders Eliasson

quote:

I like it, send me 50 sets.

Ahhhh, good to see a guitarmaker with faith in the future of his craft.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 5 2014 7:26:39

mqbernardo

Hello, sorry about perpetuating this off-topic discussion but just wanted to add something on the pau ferro / caviuna thing estebanana was talking about.

There is indeed a lot of confusion amongst tree names, part of it is related to spurious branding, some to light-headed trading, part of it a lost-in-translçation thing. But things were complicated in the first place as when the first Europeans arrived, there were already different names for the same trees and different trees for the same names within different indian populations. Then these names entered to two different colonizing languages (castellano and portuguese) and sprung off, all well before good old uncle Linnaeus came in to help.

So pau ferro is just portuguese for iron wood. Usually it´s a name given to Machaerium scleroxylon (Santos / Bolivian rosewood). But in bolivia they call it Morado (spanish for purple) and in paraguay it´s guasu. As for Brazil, they preferably use the name "pau ferro" for Caesalpinia ferrea and tend to call M. scleroxylon caviuna/cabiuna. Caviuna comes from the tupi language group and roughly means "dark wood" or "dark bark" or "dark group of trees". -una is the tupi/guarany suffix for black/dark and in fact some indians called the 1st negro slaves they saw cabiuna (dark bark). But caviuna is also an unbrella word for any dark wood / dark tree - so brazilian rosewood is also called caviuna. So, to distinguish them (specially on the zones where Brazilian RW is indigenous) sometimes M. Scleroxylon is called red-caviuna, or jacaranda-caviuna, or pau-ferro-do-cerrado and Brazilain rosewood is called caviuna-negra (black caviuna). Confusingly, jacaranda is also the name for brazilian rosewood (and other trees) - it´s also form tupi origin and roughly transaltes to "thing with a hard center".
Machaerium villosum is also called pau-ferro in some regions of brazil. Manikara (massaranduba) is also sometimes called pau-ferro but i guess it´s trade name is "bullet wood", although i´ve seen it being sold as Brazilwood, which is also a name for pernambuco... It gets tiresome...
Sorry to have gotten carried away, as some might have guessed this is a pet-peeve of mine.

cheers,
Miguel.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 6 2014 10:18:32

estebanana

RE: Rough tuning a guitar (in reply to Jeff Highland

Thanks Miguel, I enjoyed your sort of wood rant. Are you a guitar builder, forester, guitar player or wood nut?

Welcome to the Foro, interesting post.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 6 2014 11:46:25

estebanana

RE: Rough tuning a guitar (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

Ahhhh, good to see a guitarmaker with faith in the future of his craft.

Wood is like money in the bank. In the future even if you don't use your stock pile to build with it will only go up in value.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 6 2014 13:07:03

mqbernardo

Thanks for the welcome, Stephen. I wish i was a guitar player. Just a starting out amateur builder - between your options i guess i´d qualify as wood nut. Was browsing the forum to gatherinfo on my 1st flamenco build.

all the best,
Miguel.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 6 2014 14:41:35

Anders Eliasson

quote:

Wood is like money in the bank. In the future even if you don't use your stock pile to build with it will only go up in value.

Money is a relative thing and where I live things are not the way you describe them. Here noone pays anything if they can get it cheaper and there are many that are so badly out that they sell for close to nothing. And that includes guitars.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 7 2014 6:56:26

estebanana

quote:

Money is a relative thing and where I live things are not the way you describe them. Here noone pays anything if they can get it cheaper and there are many that are so badly out that they sell for close to nothing. And that includes guitars.

Ah, but somewhere in the world the wood will be worth more in the future, so it is like a slow to mature bond. I'm saying 15 years from now aged ready to go sets of wood will cost much more, but in the right location. If it is not worth as much where you are then get as much as you can because in the US and Japan it will be worth more. Markets that are at the end of the supply line will always pay top dollar for quality, or even not so good products.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 7 2014 7:11:48

Anders Eliasson

quote:

If it is not worth as much where you are then get as much as you can because in the US and Japan it will be worth more. Markets that are at the end of the supply line will always pay top dollar for quality, or even not so good products.

I stay away from this kind of speculation. Its pure mind exercise and besides its bad for my karma, which is above everything.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 8 2014 7:30:03

Vince

RE: Rough tuning a guitar (in reply to Vince

Now I have worked the top nearly 0,5mm down.On the Treble side I have now 2,0-2,3mm and at the bass side 1,8-2.0mm.
Now there is a nice tap tone on both sides!
Unfortunately a small pin hole apers after the sanding. It was hidden in a deeper layer in the wood befor.
I am curious how the guitar will sound.
But first I have to make an new bridge!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (3)

Vince
http://www.gitarrenbau-held.de/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 8 2014 18:35:29

estebanana

quote:

I stay away from this kind of speculation. Its pure mind exercise and besides its bad for my karma, which is above everything.

I don't really understand why collecting wood for the future is bad karma, but everyone has a different idea of what karma is. If your wood is purchased in good faith and you know it is legal and fairly paid for both buyer and seller it seems like it should not harbor bad karma.

Wood is simply a perishable resource and as it becomes higher priced on international markets the value will hold steady. It's not a complicated economic calculation, perishable resources hold value as they become more rare.

For me getting as much as possible is good goal, it means that if you get old a still have wood left, you can sell it to someone who deserves to have it and you are giving them a good resource because you cared for it for many years and dried it properly. You don't have to gouge them in the selling price, but in retirement extra money never hurts. And if you pass away without selling it, that means someone connected to you will get the wood and be able to use it.

Wood is one resource that needs to held in perpetuity for the next generations of makers. And that is good karma.

( And I hasten to add, I'm not one of those guys with a vast stash of wood right now, but I wish I was.)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 8 2014 23:52:32

Anders Eliasson

Stephen. You´re right. Its absolutely nothing wrong to put your savings in wood. And i would say that from my personal view, that its a lot better than putting it in the bank. The banks just speculate.

In your other post, I maybe wrongly read that it was a good idea to buy cheap for whatever reason. I´m very picky about that because I live in a society where vulture behaviour is everywhere. Noone wnats to pay anything because there will always be a poor guy who has to sell very cheap in order to survive. And this includes cars, guitars, wood, houses, you name it.

3 years ago I had my house for sale. About 80% of the calls I received where from vultures just looking for something to invest because prices were drop down low. Most of them weren't even interested in seing the house. Just speculation. This kind of speculation or just thinking is bad for my karma.

I can see in this last post of yours, that you didnt think like that. So go ahead and invest in the future and keep up the faith in the future as well. Its good energy for me as well. I´m glad you have faith in the future.
Because of personal situation, I have chosen not to put faith in anything but today and tomorrow. Today will be a fine day and I think tomorrow as well. So I dont worry.
I´m not investing in wood anymore. I use my wood. And thats it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2014 8:34:19

Anders Eliasson

Vince, Bad luck with that pin hole. It can be really difficult to sell a guitar with a pinhole like that even though it doesnt affect sound or strength of the instrument.
Why making the treble side thicker (or the bass side thinner)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2014 8:37:11

Vince

There are different reasons. In the beginning I have tryed to use my knowledge as civil Ingenieur in my build. Especially the dynamic analysis of plate structures.
But I is much simpler than all the theory, it works for me and I get the sound I like no more no less!

Vince
http://www.gitarrenbau-held.de/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 9 2014 10:24:02

Anders Eliasson

The second reason is a good one... The first, I have my doubts.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2014 7:50:45

Tom Blackshear

quote:

I´m not investing in wood anymore. I use my wood. And thats it.

This is very practical thinking in this day and time but I believe things work out with whatever you are called to do, as long as its a good calling.

Guitar making is an art that needs a master's hands, and anyone who has the touch should continue with what he is doing, until a change comes from solid evidence for a better way.

Anders, you have a gift for many things, including guitar making.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 29 2015 14:29:07

mounirben

Dear Anders,

Roy Courtnall in his book talks about this, I quote :

A common view is that the central area, where the bridge is fixed, should be the thickest, as the pull of the strings is greatest. The periphery can be taken thinner, except that the treble side of the lower bout is often thicker than the bass side. The idea is that strong treble notes are produced from a more substantial area of wood, whereas vibrant basses can be best achieved from a thinner area. Some makers, however, prefer a more unified symmetrical approach, and maintain the same thickness throughout. The choice must be based on your own feeling abour the soundboard you are using, as well as your vision of the ideal instrument

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 3 2015 22:00:34

Ricardo

RE: Rough tuning a guitar (in reply to mqbernardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mqbernardo

Hello, sorry about perpetuating this off-topic discussion but just wanted to add something on the pau ferro / caviuna thing estebanana was talking about.

There is indeed a lot of confusion amongst tree names, part of it is related to spurious branding, some to light-headed trading, part of it a lost-in-translçation thing. But things were complicated in the first place as when the first Europeans arrived, there were already different names for the same trees and different trees for the same names within different indian populations. Then these names entered to two different colonizing languages (castellano and portuguese) and sprung off, all well before good old uncle Linnaeus came in to help.

So pau ferro is just portuguese for iron wood. Usually it´s a name given to Machaerium scleroxylon (Santos / Bolivian rosewood). But in bolivia they call it Morado (spanish for purple) and in paraguay it´s guasu. As for Brazil, they preferably use the name "pau ferro" for Caesalpinia ferrea and tend to call M. scleroxylon caviuna/cabiuna. Caviuna comes from the tupi language group and roughly means "dark wood" or "dark bark" or "dark group of trees". -una is the tupi/guarany suffix for black/dark and in fact some indians called the 1st negro slaves they saw cabiuna (dark bark). But caviuna is also an unbrella word for any dark wood / dark tree - so brazilian rosewood is also called caviuna. So, to distinguish them (specially on the zones where Brazilian RW is indigenous) sometimes M. Scleroxylon is called red-caviuna, or jacaranda-caviuna, or pau-ferro-do-cerrado and Brazilain rosewood is called caviuna-negra (black caviuna). Confusingly, jacaranda is also the name for brazilian rosewood (and other trees) - it´s also form tupi origin and roughly transaltes to "thing with a hard center".
Machaerium villosum is also called pau-ferro in some regions of brazil. Manikara (massaranduba) is also sometimes called pau-ferro but i guess it´s trade name is "bullet wood", although i´ve seen it being sold as Brazilwood, which is also a name for pernambuco... It gets tiresome...
Sorry to have gotten carried away, as some might have guessed this is a pet-peeve of mine.

cheers,
Miguel.

Great post. It falls in line with what my bolivian indian friends have told me in the past. I once saw a "caviuna" guitar that to me was clearly brazil rosewood...caviuna was hand written on the label...I was thinking it was a desperate attempt to make the guitar seem legit cuz the wood on back and sides was surely illegal for it's year. Pau fero guitars (bolivian RW) never really did it for me...soundwise. E. Indian is the best IMO for negras.

Going back to bridges earlier, just would like to add I have Jernoimo Peña negra and the bridge and face plate must be ebony. It's pitch black like the fingerboard. The sound is very strong and bright.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 4 2015 16:07:42

jshelton5040

RE: Rough tuning a guitar (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

I once saw a "caviuna" guitar that to me was clearly brazil rosewood...caviuna was hand written on the label...I was thinking it was a desperate attempt to make the guitar seem legit cuz the wood on back and sides was surely illegal for it's year. Pau fero guitars (bolivian RW) never really did it for me...soundwise. E. Indian is the best IMO for negras.

There's no way to identify Brazilian Rosewood visually. I've seen many examples of Amazon Rosewoods that are virtually identical to some of the most perfect Brazilian. It takes a botanist to analyze the wood to be sure, which is why its so ridiculous to put import restrictions on Brazilian RW. I agree with you about Pau Ferro, the name is apparently meanless and so far all the Pau Ferro labelled sets I have encountered have been pretty much junk.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 4 2015 23:08:32

Ricardo

RE: Rough tuning a guitar (in reply to jshelton5040

the implication here that every negra classical or flamenco guitar be in a state of "superposition" until a botanist observes the rosewood and collapses the D. Nigra wave function?

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 4 2015 23:44:05

keith

One method for determining D. nigra from other dalbergias is the test explained in the link. It is an invasive test. The wood database site has a boatload of info on wood. The first link is the test, the second link is the home page of the wood database.

As for labeling strategies, I believe it was in 2006 or 2007 that GSI began listing a lot of their rosewood guitars as CSAR. Prior to this change I recall wood dealer in Spain getting busted for illegal D. nigra. I would imagine the use of CSAR (Central South America Rosewood) is an attempt to skirt the BRW laws but I really wonder if the BRW police fall for such labels.

As to Pernambuco and Brazilwood, it is my understanding from many in the violin world that the two woods are the same species but Brazilwood is the less desirable part of the tree and Pernambuco is the more desirable part of the tree--at least in the bow making business.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/distinguishing-brazilian-rosewood-from-east-indian-and-other-rosewoods/

http://www.wood-database.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2015 12:00:37

Ricardo

RE: Rough tuning a guitar (in reply to keith

quote:

ORIGINAL: keith

One method for determining D. nigra from other dalbergias is the test explained in the link. It is an invasive test. The wood database site has a boatload of info on wood. The first link is the test, the second link is the home page of the wood database.

As for labeling strategies, I believe it was in 2006 or 2007 that GSI began listing a lot of their rosewood guitars as CSAR. Prior to this change I recall wood dealer in Spain getting busted for illegal D. nigra. I would imagine the use of CSAR (Central South America Rosewood) is an attempt to skirt the BRW laws but I really wonder if the BRW police fall for such labels.

As to Pernambuco and Brazilwood, it is my understanding from many in the violin world that the two woods are the same species but Brazilwood is the less desirable part of the tree and Pernambuco is the more desirable part of the tree--at least in the bow making business.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/distinguishing-brazilian-rosewood-from-east-indian-and-other-rosewoods/

http://www.wood-database.com/

If you browse any catalogue of vintage guitars, you find all the negras labeled as "indian rosewood" OR "brazilian rosewood"... and that's it really. Unless some obvious derivation such as maple, cypress, walnut etc. I always wondered since all the Indian examples look 100% identical, and the "brazilian" examples almost infinitely varied, if luthiers/wood dealers have been lazy about labeling specifics and just called anything that was NOT indian, "Brazilian RW" to make it easier for buyers?

How about this question...has any luthier on here ever built a guitar with tonewood they at first THOUGHT was something as they purchased it, only later to discover it was actually something ELSE entirely?

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2015 13:26:05

jshelton5040

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

If you browse any catalogue of vintage guitars, you find all the negras labeled as "indian rosewood" OR "brazilian rosewood"... and that's it really. Unless some obvious derivation such as maple, cypress, walnut etc. I always wondered since all the Indian examples look 100% identical, and the "brazilian" examples almost infinitely varied, if luthiers/wood dealers have been lazy about labeling specifics and just called anything that was NOT indian, "Brazilian RW" to make it easier for buyers?

How about this question...has any luthier on here ever built a guitar with tonewood they at first THOUGHT was something as they purchased it, only later to discover it was actually something ELSE entirely?

When I first started building guitars there was a lumber yard called "Emerson Hardwoods" that was the go to place for hardwoods. The Brazilian RW was stacked next to the East Indian RW in an unheated metal barn. At that time one could sort through the planks and pick what you wanted. The only rule was you had to restack the planks when you were done. The wood was rough sawn and dusty and the warehouse (barn) had pretty poor light so about all you could do was check the end grain to tell if it was quartered or flat and look for big checks or knots. The variation in the wood that came out of that pile of planks was historic but all the guitars I made from it were called Brazilian RW. This was way before the internet or cites regulations. If you bought it as Brazilian obviously you called it Brazilian. The only test I used on it was how it smelled and how it milled. I now know that many Amazon dark woods have the same smell and similar hardness and mass. I suspect it should have been given some generic title like Amazon RW, that's what I do now with any dark colored wood from S. America.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2015 14:21:50

Richard Jernigan

After I moved into my house in Austin in 2010 I started looking around on the web for furniture. I found a place in Vancouver, Canada that had a good selection of Danish and Swedish stuff from the 1960s-70s that promised to fit in with the "Mid-Century Modern" style of the house. I went to Vancouver and picked out some.

The desk I am sitting at now is teak, as are the coffee table and end tables in the living room. The dining room sideboard, table and chairs are "Brazilian rosewood." The sideboard has nice book matched veneer patterns on the doors and drawers, the 7-foot top and sides are from a single veneer sheet. The table and chairs are solid.

I asked the proprietor of the Vancouver store whether he had any trouble with U.S. Customs over the Brazilian rosewood. He said they load up a van with furniture and drive to Washington state to ship in the USA. They had one van load impounded a couple of years before, with U.S. Customs citing it as Brazilian rosewood. The furniture dealer hired a U.S. lawyer, who retained a noted wood expert from academia. The professor proved that the wood was not Dalbergia Nigra. It was some other species of rosewood from South America. The stuff I have looks like Brazilian to me, but ¿Quién sabe?

U.S. Customs gave the dealer back his van and furniture, and he hadn't had any problems since.

Recently I have been looking for a big armoire to convert to a cabinet for my printers, scanners, etc. I haven't seen either a "Brazilian" or a teak armoire on the net for months, but there have been smaller "Brazilian" pieces.

The Vancouver dealer said they buy all their stuff at auctions in Denmark, fill up a container and ship it to Canada.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2015 16:27:31

keith

Think Hauser or Bernabe used BRW or CSAR? From GSI's description what might be BRW is now CSAR.

http://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p4675-hermann-hauser-i.html

http://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p4616-paulino-bernabe-flamenco-negra.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2015 18:07:47

Richard Jernigan

RE: Rough tuning a guitar (in reply to keith

Manuel Contreras Sr. told me the back and sides of my 1991 "doble tapa" are Brazilian, but the lacquer finish on it is over stain so dark it's very hard to see the grain pattern. There's a spruce piece that covers the inside of the back.

I have another guitar that's supposed to be cedar/cocobolo. The finish on it is dark as well, very hard to see the grain. The maker told me it is French polished. It shows slight clouding on the back in the summertime, from humidity after I play it, but it's really shiny. I wonder sometimes whether it's shellac padded over something sprayed.

According to the maker my Abel Garcia classical is spruce/Brazilian. I picked out the back and sides in his humidity controlled woodshed. I thought they looked and smelled like Brazilian. The guitar shows the grain pattern nicely through the French polish.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2015 19:40:04

Ruphus

RE: Rough tuning a guitar (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Jernigan

Manuel Contreras Sr. told me the back and sides of my 1991 "doble tapa" are Brazilian, but the lacquer finish on it is over stain so dark it's very hard to see the grain pattern. There's a spruce piece that covers the inside of the back.

My BRW Burguet is the same. It is a double back (same principle like with double tops). Maybe the Contreras has a same kind of back structure. At least for the Burgut I can say that if it is of relevance to its overall performance then double back seems to work out well.
-

Isn´t it weird how a wood species that can hardly be told apart from others is being so hard sought after?
Maybe even for unclear reasons / urban myth possibly, as its tone properties might be very similar to other hardwoods of similar shape and physical characteristics?

Some builders -like Velasquez I think- even don´t like BRW, for as they say, its tendency to crack. (Let aside its toxic grind dust.)

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 6 2015 11:21:05
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote