Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Santos Hernandez design question?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ahmed Flamenco

Santos Hernandez design question? 

I'm using Santos Hernandez design and I don't know whether to make the top 2 or 3 mm also the braces in the design has height of 3.5 mm, is this sufficient or what?!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2014 16:30:20

Andy Culpepper

RE: Santos Hernandez design question? (in reply to Ahmed Flamenco

quote:

I'm using Santos Hernandez design and I don't know whether to make the top 2 or 3 mm

There's a huuuuge difference between 2 and 3 mm... remember that stiffness goes up as a cube of thickness, so 50% thicker is 200% stiffer.

The question should be more like 2.1 or 2.2 mm in the center, but it depends on a lot of things like doming, bracing etc. 3.5 mm braces are fine in the right overall design.

The question of how thick to make the particular piece of top wood you are using is one of many that simply can't be answered by a plan. As a first build I would recommend to make everything a little stiffer/thicker than you think and then string it up without finish. Then you can experiment with sanding the top gradually, adjusting braces from the inside, even scraping/sanding the back down and hear how the sound changes as you go.

There are many things in guitar making that can only be learned through experience and making many guitars.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2014 16:57:59

Tom Blackshear

RE: Santos Hernandez design question? (in reply to Andy Culpepper

I have checked out my share of Santos guitars and they were from 1.8 MM to 2.5 MM......But like Andy says; start with the top a little thicker and then find the right balance by sanding, if necessary.....

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2014 17:40:04

Ahmed Flamenco

I'm thankful and grateful Andy, and yes of course there are many things in guitar making that can only be learned through experience and making many guitars, so it is not supposed to be awesome from the first time, I hope to meet you one day if I came to make my graduate studies in USA.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 22 2014 18:50:19

Anders Eliasson

quote:

The question should be more like 2.1 or 2.2 mm in the center, but it depends on a lot of things like doming, bracing etc. 3.5 mm braces are fine in the right overall design.

Its 100% impossible to say anything about the correct thickness without having the actual pice of wood in your hands. It can be whatever between 1.9 and 2.6, so your 2.1 - 2.2 may be right but it can also be wrong.
Using thickness as a guide to soundboard thickness is not very usefull.
Spruce for instrument making can be sooo different. Some spruce is are close to cedar and some is very close to Sitka spruce. Even spruce cut from the same valley can have huge difference.
But of course, if the original poster has absolutely no physical reference, then its better to do 2.2 than to do 3mm. Chances that he will get it right are bigger, but it is not based on any kind of fact. Is pure guessing.

If the soundboard thickness is right then 3.5 v shaped braces should be correct, again depending on the stiffness and weight of the bracing stock.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2014 7:56:18

Andy Culpepper

RE: Santos Hernandez design question? (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

so your 2.1 - 2.2 may be right but it can also be wrong.

Anders makes some great points that I totally agree with. I just meant that that would be "closer" to the right kind of question to ask.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2014 11:28:57
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll