Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Tapado difference between Bulerias and Alegrias   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

ZaidRockso

Tapado difference between Bulerias a... 

Hi guys, need some help again if anyone can clarify.

Bulerias starts on 12 , Alegrias on 1, but other than that when just playing tapado, i can't see any difference, so for example, if i don't hear the first 12 beat on bulerias, then i can easily assume it's alegrias, i know bulerias is usually a much faster beat than alegrias, but if i was hearing a slow bulerias, or even practicing bulerias at a slower speed what distinguishes its tapado from alegrias since all the accents are the same , thanks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 18 2014 8:16:04

rombsix

RE: Tapado difference between Buleri... (in reply to ZaidRockso

One way I imagine would be the more modern way of accenting buleria with 7 & 8 being accented instead of 6 & 8. Or you can think of buleria in sixes which has a different feel than alegria at the same tempo.

By tapado, I think you are referring to solo compas tracks, right? Meaning a loop of percussion & palmas for example?

If you are actually referring to tapado to mean the pattern of playing the compas on the guitar while muting the strings, then I think your questions does not make a huge amount of sense when considering if from the real-life, practical standpoint, because in such a situation, you will know that you are practicing either buleria or alegria, and if you are performing on stage, you will play buleria tapado much faster than alegria tapaodo since it would make no sense for you to play tapado on stage really slowly saying it is a buleria lenta instead of an alegria.

I hope that makes sense...

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 18 2014 23:07:57

ZaidRockso

Yeah i was referring to the latter, what hapenned was i was practicing bulerias slowly and i was doing the tapado before starting, i found myself doing it almost exactly the same as alegrias which confused me since the accents were same. It Didn't occur to me that bulerias can't be played slow, but yes it makes sense, thanks a bunch Ramzi!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 18 2014 23:19:36

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZaidRockso

Yeah i was referring to the latter, what hapenned was i was practicing bulerias slowly and i was doing the tapado before starting, i found myself doing it almost exactly the same as alegrias which confused me since the accents were same. It Didn't occur to me that bulerias can't be played slow, but yes it makes sense, thanks a bunch Ramzi!

Simple answer is that buleria is better expressed in 6's like the palmas. Otherwise it's ok to be confused if the tempo is the same for both, because they are the same rhythm exactly.

The complex answer is that you can do a specific rhythm pattern for alegrias (tapao), for example:

amii amii i+golpe i(accent up stroke), space, i up, space, iup, i+ golpe i up, amii i+golpe i up (rest) pai-p up, i down (space) m down i + golpe.

What that does is express with rasgueado (amii) the counts 1-3, also 7-8, the abanico accents & 10, and last golpe the 12. While this pattern could also express solea x buleria, or buleria, there would normally be different and better things to do, reserving what I wrote above as one specific "alegria only" pattern.

hope that helps.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 19 2014 20:56:11

ZaidRockso

Thanks Ricardo that's what i'm trying to do to overcome my confusion when playing the same tempo, play them in 2 different ways .

Thanks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 20 2014 20:19:20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote