Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Do you own/use a smart phone?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
[Poll]

Do you own/use a smart phone?

i have a smart phone, but only use it for calls
  33% (7)
i only have a landline, no smart phone
  23% (5)
I have a smart phone, and its in my face constantly
  28% (6)
I cannot live without my Iphone and i never put it down
  14% (3)

Total Votes : 21

(last vote on : Jan. 3 2015 21:47:50) 
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

ToddK

Do you own/use a smart phone? 

Just curious about Foro members smart phone use.

I do not have a cell/smart phone. I only have a landline.

I made a decision years ago that i did not want to be one of these people
that i see everywhere with their phone in their face constantly.

Thanks for voting!
TK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 15:36:05

guitarbuddha

RE: Do you own/use a smart phone? (in reply to ToddK

Hey Todd. I am predictably absent from the polling options. I use a basic phone for calls and listening to MP3s on the go. Iphones are generally too bulky fragile and energy intensive to use whilst running and stuff.

Whenever anyone wants to share what they are looking at on their iPhone I am generally lead to question their judgement and or their sanity.

I note with bewilderment that people treat their phone as the most important person in the room. It is like the way as the person talking on TV must be deferred to in preference to those actually present.

I even saw an app that told you if you were singing in or out or tune as if that would actually help you get better whilst you failed to follow your teachers advice.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 15:57:46

Leñador

At work my IPhone AND my ipad are in my face constantly. It's helped the world of construction and small business ownership IMMENSELY. Markup plans, send payroll, make schedules, create change orders, respond to emails, the list is huge...
OUTSIDE of work I make it a point to leave it alone, it's rude to the people your engaging with. No Facebook, Twitter, etc I just check the foro when I'm on the toilet.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 16:01:46

BarkellWH

I have never owned a cell phone or a smart phone. I have always managed very well with a land line. If I am not at home, callers can leave a message. I decided when these devices first appeared that I did not want to be "available" instantaneously at all hours for anyone.

When I am on a consulting gig for the State Department at an Embassy overseas or working a military command staff exercise for a Defense Department contractor, I need a cell phone, but it is always provided by the State Department or the DoD contractor. I am very comfortable using it for professional, work-related activity. But I absolutely refuse to allow one to intrude upon my personal life.

But then I am not on Facebook, I don't tweet, and I don't care about Instagram. Call me antedeluvian, but I am perfectly happy without the intrusion of so-called "social media."

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 16:05:43

Richard Jernigan

I have an iPhone.

While I lived in the Marshall Islands there was no cellphone service. But because of my job I was always reachable by phone, or by VHF radio when I was out sailing or diving. All I had to do when I was away from home was punch in a code to the nearest phone, then the system knew where to find me. I seldom got called outside working hours, because one of my managers usually was the point man for any hot stuff.

When I came back to the USA on vacation there were fewer and fewer pay phones, so I got a little flip phone with a month by month contract from Cricket. It served me well for a couple of years after I retired and moved to Austin.

When we went to Europe a few years ago I got both an iPhone and an iPad. The iPhone was mainly to have a pocket size GPS capability. We would still be driving around lost in the old part of Siena if it weren't for the iPhone. AT&T really rips you off for overseas roaming. It's best to jailbreak the phone and get a new SIM card when you get to your overseas destination. You can forward your USA number to the overseas one.

The iPad is to replace the laptop I used to lug around. The iPad serves as a big viewing screen for my photo addiction, and as a way to keep up with email, banking, etc. The iPad is also a nice size for looking at maps to plan things out.

The iPhone stays in my pocket now. The iPad often goes with me in the car for GPSing, even around town.

The iPhone gets used for phone calls and text messaging. If i'm with someone, or driving the iPhone gets muted. My old fashioned manners register it as rudeness when someone stops in the middle of a sentence to answer a call or ignores me to respond to a text message. A text message can wait. A caller can leave a voicemail. Even the ringtone is a dangerous distraction when driving.

Actually, I like the text messaging feature on the iPhone. I can send a brief greeting or question to a friend, and they can answer (or not) at their convenience.

I have a landline as part of my internet service. Emergency services can locate a landline more quickly and reliably. I never answer it. I only listen to voicemails on it from someone I know, or have business with. I use the landline if I'm on hold for 30 minutes waiting to talk to the IRS (U.S. tax office) or some other government "service" so as not to run down my iPhone battery. I turn the speaker on at low volume and go about my business until I hear the government or other call holding abuser wake up.

Only my friends or regular business contacts have my cellphone number.

Both phones are on the National Do Not Call Register. This is a facility maintained by the U.S. government. It is against the law to call a number on the Register to solicit business.

Of course, some telemarketers ignore this, hoping to skate by. Very seldom does anyone try it on my cellphone, maybe once in six weeks. If I don't recognize the caller ID, I don't answer. Or if I am in the mood I will ask them for their name, phone number and physical location so I can refer them for prosecution. They don't call again.

So I think you can have a cellphone and still be civilized. But there are plenty of people who use them rudely.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 16:06:55

guitarbuddha

RE: Do you own/use a smart phone? (in reply to Leñador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leñador

etc I just check the foro when I'm on the toilet.

Before deciding whether to 'post' or not ?

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 16:13:19

keith

i have a "dumb" phone--it flips open and has no apps. 99% of the time it works for me--the 1% being wanting to google something such as a restaurant, etc. i agree with what todd said--people spend much of the lives staring into the screen. it is like a zombie nation. what is really irksome are the twits who walk or drive while tweeting/texting.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 16:20:26

Grisha

I have an old Motorola Raiser. It makes calls just great! It doesn't have a keypad, or a fancy screen. I never text.

I don't own anything that starts with a lower case "i".
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 16:30:53

Escribano

I beg to abstain as I make my living writing serious apps for smart phones and tablets. I hate the cultural aspects of stupid 'social' apps, games etc. and the rudeness of their use. However, there are some very useful apps out there for almost any interest.

My landline is only for broadband.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 16:33:52

Paul Magnussen

I have only a land-line.

My wife has a low-end cell phone, and I’m toying with the idea of getting one for the odd occasion when she wants to call me while I’m shopping or vice versa, or maybe those (hopefully few) occasions when you need to call AAA/AA/RAC.

But I’m resisting, because I’m a computer consultant and the house is already bulging with computers and computer-related junk…

I likewise have no interest in Facebook. I have an account so that old friends who have lost contact can find me (luckily I have an uncommon name); and several have in fact done so. But apart from that, it seems to me just another time-waster.

And am I alone in thinking it’s incredibly badly designed?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 16:55:15

Leñador

quote:

Before deciding whether to 'post' or not ?

Yup! Lol

Oh yeah, I've never in my adult life owned a land line........

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 17:07:33

BarkellWH

RE: Do you own/use a smart phone? (in reply to Paul Magnussen

quote:

I likewise have no interest in Facebook.

As I mentioned in my post above, Paul, I have no interest in Facebook (or any other social media) either. Nevertheless, for years I have played squash with a young woman 30 years my junior. She tried to get me to sign up for a Facebook account, even offering to help me set it up. I finally convinced her I was serious by telling her that I did not want to be on Facebook because I did not want my creditors to be able to locate and contact me. She gave me a half-smile, as if she were unsure whether or not I meant it, but she dropped her attempts at bringing me on board.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 17:20:13

guitarbuddha

RE: Do you own/use a smart phone? (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

ORIGINAL: BarkellWH

quote:

I likewise have no interest in Facebook.

As I mentioned in my post above, Paul, I have no interest in Facebook (or any other social media) either. Nevertheless, for years I have played squash with a young woman 30 years my junior. She tried to get me to sign up for a Facebook account, even offering to help me set it up. I finally convinced her I was serious by telling her that I did not want to be on Facebook because I did not want my creditors to be able to locate and contact me.

Bill

If my arithmetic serves me well any debts that you generated prior to a relationship with a young woman only thirty years your junior would have been written off before the inception of Facebook........

Sorry Bill, it's been a slow day.......

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 17:24:17

Mark2

I'm on my second I phone. I have tons of music apps-from dr compas to metronomes to an app that plays the chords to jazz standards or any other you program. Also guitar pro, a tuner, a looper, a cool app called scale variator that creates patterns from any scale. That's just music. When my daughter went to China by herself, I installed a gps tracking app so I'd know where she was just in case. For work I have an app that can create, store and read excel and word files, and a nice retail app that calculates markups-that one gets a workout. I have an app that shows current surf reports including live streams of my local beaches, so I know when to play hooky from work to catch waves. The map app gives me directions when I driving, saving me tons of time as I drive a fair amount for my job. I have tons of music on there and I plug it into my car radio -right now VA's Tierra is getting a lot of play. Also amazing slow downer is on my phone, so I practice with my headphones or I phone external speaker a fair amount. I have a mac book hooked up to a pro tools setup, but really the only thing it can do that my phone can't is record or watch shows when hooked up to a tv. Favorite remains dr. compas, which is worth buying an ipod for itself. I crank up the external speaker, pull out the guitar, and have fun.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 17:39:25

tri7/5

My personal phone is just an old cell flip phone. I personally have no desire to constantly be connected. However my company thinks otherwise and I have a company smartphone.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 17:41:35

Estevan

quote:

I made a decision years ago that i did not want to be one of these people
that i see everywhere with their phone in their face constantly.

Really?!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 17:49:10

guitarbuddha

RE: Do you own/use a smart phone? (in reply to Mark2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark2

I'm on my second I phone. I have tons of music apps-from dr compas to metronomes to an app that plays the chords to jazz standards or any other you program. Also guitar pro, a tuner, a looper, a cool app called scale variator that creates patterns from any scale. That's just music. When my daughter went to China by herself, I installed a gps tracking app so I'd know where she was just in case. For work I have an app that can create, store and read excel and word files, and a nice retail app that calculates markups-that one gets a workout. I have an app that shows current surf reports including live streams of my local beaches, so I know when to play hooky from work to catch waves. The map app gives me directions when I driving, saving me tons of time as I drive a fair amount for my job. I have tons of music on there and I plug it into my car radio -right now VA's Tierra is getting a lot of play. Also amazing slow downer is on my phone, so I practice with my headphones or I phone external speaker a fair amount. I have a mac book hooked up to a pro tools setup, but really the only thing it can do that my phone can't is record or watch shows when hooked up to a tv. Favorite remains dr. compas, which is worth buying an ipod for itself. I crank up the external speaker, pull out the guitar, and have fun.

Hi Mark it is refreshing to hear from an honest man prepared to admit to enjoying his new toys. I guess I am prone to judging this new technology by my own failure to enjoy it.

But predictably i will insist on a discordant note.

I was hunting for a quote online and, as is so often the case, I couldn't find it but I did find this from John Adams.

'Still, he writes, “I made more progress in my command of harmonic practice by reproducing these pop songs [by the Doors, the Beach Boys, and others] from memory at the piano than I ever did by my forced marches through the figured bass treatises.” Later he makes the same point about working through Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, and John Coltrane. '

And although I genuinely bemoan the failure of my ability to take joy in externalised musical structure I will say this, whenever I meet someone who has memorised a thousand tunes or so and can play them in any key with no recourse to technology, either print or more 'advanced', I cant help but wish I had started INternalising earlier.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 17:52:06

ToddK

For the record, i dont have anything against somebody using their phone for
internet, or whatever else besides making phone calls.

I just thought it would be fun to see who uses what,
and talk about the different aspects and perceptions of this phenomenon.

Some great comments so far.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 18:25:09

runner

No smartphone; only a cheap cellphone to call 911 or the tow truck when on the road. No answering machine on the landline house phone-- they either get me or they don't. Developed a profound aversion to the phone in years of work wherein my responsibilities included receiving bad news and/or delivering bad news--who needs that?! I love, though, email, in that it partially recreates the lost art of the personal letter. Unlike the dictatorship of the telephone, in which one either enthralls another or is enthralled at the whim of another, the letter (and the email) can be composed, read, thoughtfully responded to, entirely at the discretion of either party. People have been reading and writing letters for thousands of years, many full of grace, wit, learning. At the very least, biography will become a much more barren, problematic enterprise in future, as the wells of the well-written letter finally go dry.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 19:36:52

Mark2

RE: Do you own/use a smart phone? (in reply to guitarbuddha

I understand, and you are correct in that these new toys are completely unnecessary. I learned how to scrape electric guitar parts off of vinyl in the mid 70's, then in college as a music major, learned harmony from Walter Piston's book. I entered the pro music scene after dropping out, and again, learned parts the bandleader transcribed in standard notation from the paper, and also by playing the cassettes as many times as needed. I studied jazz in the 70's with a great jazz player, who taught by learning standards, one at a time. Learn the head, comp the changes, improvise over them, and create an original chord melody arrangement. I learned flamenco the old way-sitting across from a maestro. He would let me tape part of the lesson, and from there it was all by ear and memory. There were few transcriptions in those days, so to learn a solo or a falseta, it was put the LP on half speed, which of course lowered the sound an octave, and wear out the record. I learned to play for dance by spending five years three times a week playing in a dance school. In my business, which I started in 1981, there were no computers for many years, so it was all written down, floor plans were hand drawn and the math was done in my head. I realize this makes it seem like I'm about 100 years old, but I'm only 56.

So, I really do appreciate these toys, many of which I consider tools. And I use them to benefit my work and to derive enjoyment. Some get little use, others are used daily. There is nothing wrong with the the old ways, but I'm reminded of a quote that I can't remember who should be credited with: "I've been poor and I've been rich, and rich is definitely better"
Finally, I'm sure you are aware there are tons of kids out there studying jazz and playing very well, many of whom use the latest gizmos. I'm sure that some of them will become pros who know a 1,000 tunes by heart.
quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark2

Hi Mark it is refreshing to hear from an honest man prepared to admit to enjoying his new toys. I guess I am prone to judging this new technology by my own failure to enjoy it.

But predictably i will insist on a discordant note.

I was hunting for a quote online and, as is so often the case, I couldn't find it but I did find this from John Adams.

'Still, he writes, “I made more progress in my command of harmonic practice by reproducing these pop songs [by the Doors, the Beach Boys, and others] from memory at the piano than I ever did by my forced marches through the figured bass treatises.” Later he makes the same point about working through Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, and John Coltrane. '

And although I genuinely bemoan the failure of my ability to take joy in externalised musical structure I will say this, whenever I meet someone who has memorised a thousand tunes or so and can play them in any key with no recourse to technology, either print or more 'advanced', I cant help but wish I had started INternalising earlier.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 20:53:12

Andy Culpepper

No option for weirdos like me who still use a flip phone!
I prefer making calls and carrying around a flip phone as they're smaller and more comfortable to hold.

I do have an iPod touch which I consider to be the most important tool in my shop. I actually like Apple products and I listen to podcasts/music all day. I have apps for taking video, highly accurate tuning and intonation adjustment, doing calculations, as well as advanced Backgammon training software when I want to take a 5 minute break

One of the main reasons I don't have an iPhone is that being able to go online would be too much of a distraction during work. The iPod only goes online with wifi which I don't have in my shop.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 22:00:22

Sr. Martins

I have an iphone but I rarely make calls, I prefer texting over wifi, checking email.. wherever I have wifi I use it, if there's no wifi I don't care either.

I also use the iphone to record quick ideas, tune my instruments, check the weather, check the time, fun stuff, GPS, internet radio.... everything but spending my time with phone calls unless it's mandatory.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 8 2014 22:58:37

estebanana

I have neither a and line or a cell hone of any kind that works. I had a Galaxy smart phone, but dropped it and broke the screen last year. But I only used it to record music samples, the audio on those things is quite good.

If I lived in the states I would get a smart, I think. But I would not let it hover around my face all day.

They are useful tools in many ways, but they also get abused. But if you are like Lenador and really want to look at porn in the bathroom, he says the Foro! ha! well then they are essential.

Why do you think the screens got so much bigger?

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2014 0:14:14

Leñador

quote:

But if you are like Lenador and really want to look at porn in the bathroom, he says the Foro! ha!

Damn, busted! lol
I flip back and forth depending on what videos are posted.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2014 0:45:18

Sr. Martins

I feel offended kids. What will women think of this?

Reporting abuse.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2014 2:30:49

Still using an antiquated iPhone by 2014 standards
No land line for 6 or so years
Couldnt really click any of the poll options

It's with me most times
But have all the ringtones and notification turned permanently off
Keeping it quiet and unobtrusive.. Just check it when needed
Only exception is if my teenagers are out partying .. Often needed to come to the rescue and play taxi driver
Other than that
It doubles up as a metronome and tuner
Sometimes as an MP3 player
Use the browser for foro and news
And use the email function

For any of us here who went through their first 30 years of life before the first Nokia brick it seems to be a less vital thing
My kids are constantly buried in it though tried to avoid getting them one for as long as possible
But as a safety thing it became a re assuring and needed tool

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2014 6:26:51

Anders Eliasson

I cannot vote.
I have a cheapo cell phone, not a smart phone. It doesnt even have a camera. Just calls and text. I never carry it with me. I have no landline phone.
I strongly dislike phones and I´ve always been like that. They make me nervous and cut my energy.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2014 7:23:06

bernd

I can´t vote as well as Anders. My cell phone is a Sony Ericson W800i. I don´t want to use mobile internet and prefer not being informed about any (unimportant) email. I use it for for mobile phone availability and studying by listening to mp3 text files while beeing outside. Using it this way keeps me very far off from any security problems any smartphone user needs to take care on.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2014 10:07:33

Graham_B

I'm also a non-voter
I have a 5 year old very basic Nokia mobile telephonic device that works just fine and the battery goes 7-10 days between charges.
I had a Blackberry for my old job and couldn't get away from the constant emails - horrible
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2014 11:13:23

machopicasso

RE: Do you own/use a smart phone? (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

When I came back to the USA on vacation there were fewer and fewer pay phones...

I held-out for the longest time on getting a cell phone, in part, because I hated how people used them (esp. being subjected to people's conversations on public transportation). But commuting for work and the disappearance of pay phones increasingly made it difficult not to have one.

The issue isn't the technology but rather how you use it. I have a smart phone. I've never used the social media apps, Facebook or otherwise. I always keep the ringer off (--girlfriends love that!). I hate texting and so do it only when absolutely necessary -- though on those occasions it's a particularly handy option.

For all practical purposes, my phone is an extension of my computer. I use it for email (work and personal); reviewing what I need to know on my way into work (while on the bus or subway); and, more generally, being productive during the downtime experienced by anyone who takes public transportation. In effect, I'm able to spend less (or better?) time on my computer at home because I can take care of more things via my smart phone. All of that being said, it's important to put down the phone occasionally and be mindful of the world around you.

I have not owned a land line in the US since 2006.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2014 12:53:58
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post