Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: The healthy gasping in the morning hours is a popular hoax   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Arash

RE: The healthy gasping in the morni... (in reply to Arash

Also don't forget the early morning boner.
Ready for weight lifting.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2014 13:08:00

Ricardo

RE: Guitar and Weight Lifting (in reply to Grisha

This just sounds all wrong. I find the fatter I get, the better I can play, in all aspects, technique timing expression etc. Compared to my younger days when I was training to be a body builder my playing sucked.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2014 13:34:17

BarkellWH

RE: Guitar and Weight Lifting (in reply to Ricardo

Woody Allen once said, "Whenever I get the urge to exercise, I just lie down until the feeling goes away." I don't think Woody has ever played flamenco guitar, but he is very good on the clarinet.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2014 14:46:16

aeolus

Uh, no. It was Robert Maynard Hutchins that said that. Who he?
Head of University of Chicago at the time and if I remember correctly, it was on closing down the universities football team.
But I suspect like many another quote, it was attributed to a quite a few.
But I wasn't there at the time I must confess.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2014 15:53:36

Arash

Saw Rafael Cortes recently?
He is half the size now

And few years ago .....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2014 16:21:36

Pimientito

RE: Guitar and Weight Lifting (in reply to Arash

quote:

I wake up at 5 o'clock each morning since that time (also Sundays) and go out with my bike for 45 minutes in fresh morning air in the small forest nearby

I gotta agree with what Keith said about body clocks. If I wake up at five in the morning its because I am sick. I do my best guitar work between 10.00 and after midnight. The idea of getting up before sunrise and going exercising is incomprehensible when to me this seems to be the most sensible time to be in bed asleep. Everyone is different but in my experience many flamencos are night owls...often awake at 3.00 or 4.00 in the morning and thinking about breakfast at 11.00 the next day. . Saying that I know plenty of people who have always woken up before 6.00 to start heavy physical work and are in bed before 10.00 pm (Farmers etc)

Sabicas (i think...or maybe Segovia) once said that farmers (men who picked potatos) made bad guitar players and Guitar players made bad farmers.

However keeping healthy is pretty important for whatever you want to do in life and exercise increases your stamina for all activity. Eating well is a priority. I notice more with age that eating badly affects your energy and concentration very much, also the strength of fingernails too.

On a personal note to Grisha I would say that I had some very bad tendon problems in my arms a couple of years (bilateral tennis elbow) through over practice and playing overly difficult material.
The fact is that you can perform pieces that most of us will never pull off with a lifetime of practice and the problem is that if you are not in always in 100 per cent shape then its easy to have an injury. I had to drop certain pieces from my repertoire as I got older simply because I couldnt maintain a practice routine that allowed me to be in shape enough to perform them without straining my forearms.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2014 17:03:18

Ruphus

Seems I stand corrected / that my informational bit must be outdated. Following Arash´s link to a German foundation against cardio desease, it shows that they recommend sports at any time of the day. And they ought to be updated on the matter.

I apologize, and specially to Thomas.
-

But if I may poke into another idiom that has no expiration date and irks me since so many decades now for special reason:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arash

One thing I learned is always listen to your body, instincts and your soul, ...

quote:

ORIGINAL: from another thread

Soberly / scientifically humans have no instinct. There exist several genetically provided preconditions, none of which however equals wholy conditioning like with instinct.
I just wished common sense would finally realize the fact and let the wishful thinking / romantic idea of human "instinct" aside for good.
Instincts have been exchanged for consciousness.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2014 17:15:14

BarkellWH

RE: The healthy gasping in the morni... (in reply to aeolus

quote:

It was Robert Maynard Hutchins that said that. Who he? Head of University of Chicago at the time

The quote is also attributed, like so many other "bon mots," to Mark Twain. I heard it from Woody Allen, although he may have been channeling either Hutchins or Twain, or both.

Robert Hutchins is most famous for instituting the "Great Books of the Western World" series, in collaboration with Mortimer Adler. You remember the "Great Books of the Western World," subscribed to by countless middle class families in the '50s, who placed them conspicuously on book shelves and fireplace mantles in their homes, where they remained unread and gathering dust for years.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2014 18:26:44

aeolus

RE: The healthy gasping in the morni... (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

You remember the "Great Books of the Western World," subscribed to by countless middle class families in the '50s, who placed them conspicuously on book shelves and fireplace mantles in their homes, where they remained unread and gathering dust for years.

And to, I suspect, a set of the multi-volume Encyclopedia Britannica in its moderne book case. I know my family had one which sat unused but conspicuous in the living room. Except once. My 7th grade nun assigned an essay, mine being The Flora and Fauna of Brazil Being an indifferent student I got my oldest sister to write it for me and turned it in without reading it. I got an A but then was asked to hand it back upon which she informed the class that tomorrow we would have to give an
oral report on what we had written. She was obviously laying a trap for me as my sister had typed the essay and it was clearly not my work. So that evening I got my sister to underline what she had written from the Encyclopedia and memorized it. It was a small moment of triumph for me as the nun had had it in for me for some reason. She had appeared mid term without a word about her predecessor's fate and my drawing grades immediately crashed from A to C.
It was the only time I looked at the encyclopedias.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2014 19:20:18

Thomas

quote:

Seems I stand corrected / that my informational bit must be outdated. Following Arash´s link to a German foundation against cardio desease, it shows that they recommend sports at any time of the day. And they ought to be updated on the matter.

I apologize, and specially to Thomas.
-
Ruphus

Nice touch, Ruphus

TeFau Studio Thomas Vogt
Cuadro Sur Guitar Trio
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2014 19:26:05

Arash

RE: Guitar and Weight Lifting (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pimientito

I gotta agree with what Keith said about body clocks. If I wake up at five in the morning its because I am sick. I do my best guitar work between 10.00 and after midnight. The idea of getting up before sunrise and going exercising is incomprehensible when to me this seems to be the most sensible time to be in bed asleep. Everyone is different but in my experience many flamencos are night owls...often awake at 3.00 or 4.00 in the morning and thinking about breakfast at 11.00 the next day. . Saying that I know plenty of people who have always woken up before 6.00 to start heavy physical work and are in bed before 10.00 pm (Farmers etc)

Sabicas (i think...or maybe Segovia) once said that farmers (men who picked potatos) made bad guitar players and Guitar players made bad farmers.

So basically your saying that I'm a Farmer

No man, you're right of course.
As a real and full time flamenco, you can't have a 5am - 10pm farmer's daily routine. Even if you wanted to and even if you are an early bird by nature.

As a classical guitarist maybe

Unfortunately, some of us have a normal boring day job or something and
music remains a hobby. For those of us, its ok to wake up at 5am and go the office at 8am .

Having said that, when I was younger, I had times where I was awake all night and slept till 3pm for several months ...was a cool time

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2014 8:03:23

orsonw

RE: Guitar and Weight Lifting (in reply to Pimientito

2014 review article:
'Human circadian rhythms and exercise: Significance and application
in real-life situations'
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jpfsm/3/3/3_307/_pdf

2011 study: (morning)'Exercise lowers blood pressure in university professors during subsequent teaching and sleeping hours.'
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3206114/

2013 study: 'Neurocardiological differences between musicians and control subjects.'
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12471-012-0372-9
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2014 8:14:13

Ruphus

RE: Guitar and Weight Lifting (in reply to Thomas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thomas

Nice touch, Ruphus

My pleasure! :O)

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2014 9:33:28

ToddK

Body clocks are ancient. I mean i have to assume that in the beginning,
humans did'nt sleep until afternoon, and go hunting/gathering "Whenever"

I'm betting they were up before the sun, and out there trying to catch
breakfast.

Ruphus, we say "Working Out" but i have to admit, "Making Sports" is hilarious,
i will have to start saying that. LOL

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2014 14:22:15

guitarbuddha

RE: The healthy gasping in the morni... (in reply to ToddK

quote:

ORIGINAL: ToddK

Ruphus, we say "Working Out" but i have to admit, "Making Sports" is hilarious,
i will have to start saying that. LOL

I like the honesty of the label we used in my childhood, 'Going out to play'.
It helps me remember the point of it all.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2014 14:29:43

Grisha

"The healthy gasping in the morning hours is a popular hoax". I love it!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2014 17:19:12

Pimientito

RE: Guitar and Weight Lifting (in reply to Arash

quote:

So basically your saying that I'm a Farmer

HAHAHA...I think the quote was talking more about how we use hands than what time in the morning we get up.

quote:

The results of our study suggest that active music making has training effects resembling those of physical exercise training.

Very interesting study orson. I had felt that this must be true but its nice to see a scientific paper to back it up.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2014 17:38:54

Ruphus

Thanks for the cue, Todd! :O)

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2014 18:58:11

Ruphus

RE: The healthy gasping in the morni... (in reply to ToddK

quote:

ORIGINAL: ToddK

Body clocks are ancient. I mean i have to assume that in the beginning,
humans did'nt sleep until afternoon, and go hunting/gathering "Whenever"

They had no other choice.
You go back in time, give them a generator + electric lights and see what comes out. Some of cavemen making party till dawn and snoring till noon.
Why not?

BTW; just learned that the legend of werewolve must be having its roots with caveman´s fear of full moon nights.
That was when predators like lions would take most of prey with hominids.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2014 19:05:34

tri7/5

I have played guitar for 21 years and exercised/weight lifted/ran whatever for a good 10 of them. Unless you are just killing your forearms and working your grip strength all the time, you are fine.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2014 20:02:45
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post