Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: ports   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

SephardRick

RE: ports (in reply to Ricardo

Interesting...

Wonder if Willy contracts out Grisha to break-in his gear for him?

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2014 17:22:06

britguy

RE: ports (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Do you know what brand it is? I'll tell you, it's a Martin nylon string model.

Interesting you should show this: for years I've been puzzled why Willie Nelson would choose to perform with a nylon string guitar. Surely it can not be heard above the typical C&W group backing.

Anybody have any idea why?

Fruit farmer, Ontario, Canada
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2014 18:33:59

Sr. Martins

RE: ports (in reply to britguy

Look at the bridge, it's wired
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2014 19:07:30

Anders Eliasson

RE: ports (in reply to SephardRick

quote:

Interesting you should show this: for years I've been puzzled why Willie Nelson would choose to perform with a nylon string guitar. Surely it can not be heard above the typical C&W group backing.

Maybe he does so because he likes it that way. I think there will be a complete intellectual or scientific answer to that question.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2014 6:25:13

estebanana

He plays a nylon string guitar because he feels like it. Not that I actually like Willie that much, but I respect his accomplishments and he's a vetted songwriter. I just think Carl Perkins or Townes Van Zandt were more my thing. Also my opinion, but I'd trade you six Willies for one Emmylou Harris, any day.

When I first posted the photo of his guitar I noted the compensated saddle, it's got a transducer in it. The saddle is also moved back quite a bit from the front of the bridge, the bridge may have been originally put in the wrong place. This is common on certain serial number runs of Martins. I could tell you which ones specifically, but there was a period of time when they were not minding the store and let out a bunch of improperly compensated guitars.

Nylon string guitars are also used lot in country music and there have been many great nylon string players in that world. The players who use nylon stirng guitars are trying to escape Dreadnaught Tyranny.

See Chet Atkins.....

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2014 12:51:59

Ricardo

RE: ports (in reply to britguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: britguy

quote:

Do you know what brand it is? I'll tell you, it's a Martin nylon string model.

Are you kidding? Those heavy deep basses put Metallica to shame....and those black flamenco treble strings slice through the bass drums harmonica banjo back up band like a razor sharp Ginsu. Check out his vicious rasgueado at 2:19... I thought I saw some wood chips fly out!

http://youtu.be/-49yv0k3MdE

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2014 16:14:10

Morante

quote:

I'd trade you six Willies for one Emmylou Harris

Emmylou is great, but Willie es la hostia. The way he phrases his singing would make him a great cantaor and he is a fine guitarist too.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2014 18:16:29

Anders Eliasson

oh yeah, Willies guitar playing is always worth listening to. He has his own style.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2014 19:22:27

Richard Jernigan

RE: ports (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Willie's phrasing and guitar playing are great, but for me the icing on the cake is his accent. So many singers put on a fake accent. Willie's is perfectly authentic. It places him in Abbott, Texas as accurately as a set of GPS coordinates.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2014 19:38:18

BarkellWH

RE: ports (in reply to Richard Jernigan

Willie Nelson wrote a book, published last year, entitled, "Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die: Musings from the Road." It is an entertaining book and reads just like you would think Willie would sound were he speaking to you. In it, Willie riffs on everything: Friends, Texas, music, the "Outlaws," and other assorted and varied topics. You almost expect him to emerge from the page singing, "Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys...."

Willie is definitely an American treasure!

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2014 20:10:53

estebanana

RE: ports (in reply to Morante

quote:

Emmylou is great, but Willie es la hostia. The way he phrases his singing would make him a great cantaor and he is a fine guitarist too.

You're surprising me as a Irishman that you prefer Willie over the Emmylou, who is way better. But I have to say if there is one thing I do like a lot about Willie, it is his guitar phrasing. I think Emmylou is an over looked master.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 0:38:38

estebanana

RE: ports (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

Willie Nelson wrote a book, published last year, entitled, "Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die: Musings from the Road."

And not to be sore ass, He or who ever wrote the book took the title from a saying of Rahsaan Roland Kirk the great saxophonist.

In America there a a few things you just don't do:

1. Spit into the wind
2. Mess around with Jim
3. Mess with people opinions of Willie.

Willie has reached a place where he is sacrosanct for some reason.

*wait for it*

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 0:45:00

BarkellWH

quote:

...that you prefer Willie over Emmylou, who is way better. But I have to say if there is one thing I do like a lot about Willie, it is his guitar phrasing. I think Emmylou is an over looked master.

Nothing strange about liking both Willie Nelson and Emmylou Harris equally, or preferring one over the other while liking both. I personally love to listen to Emmylou Harris. She has a voice, particularly on her earlier albums, that is crystal clear and rings like a bell. Absolutely beautiful singing. I agree that she has not received the public accolades she deserves, but she has done pretty well in spite of it. She got her start in the Washington, DC area at various venues, including the old Cellar Door on M Street NW in Georgetown.

In my opinion, however, Willie deserves his iconic status. He has been around for more than 50 years, and he has sung and written some great songs, produced some great albums, and never fails his audience in live performance. Willie has more character etched into his face than all his contemporaries combined. The lines etched into his face complement the look of his beat-up guitar. Together they make an organic whole.

Nevertheless, my favorite Country & Western singer was Marty Robbins, who, unfortunately, died in 1982. Marty Robbins' singing and music was much more weighted on the "Western" half of the Country & Western genre. He sang Western ballads, many with a Spanish flavor, that told stories of Gringos on the border falling for Mexican maidens, gunfighters, cowboys, trail drives, etc. His well-known song, "El Paso" is the perfect example. Robbins was born and grew up in Glendale, Arizona, just outside Phoenix, where I was born and grew up. Many of his songs are Gringo versions of "Corridos," a form of narrative and ballad singing in Northern Mexico.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 12:01:23

guitarbuddha

When I write a song better than 'Crazy' then I'll criticise Willie.

I may be some time.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 12:06:12

estebanana

RE: ports (in reply to guitarbuddha

quote:

When I write a song better than 'Crazy' then I'll criticise Willie.

I'm not criticizing Willie, I'm just saying he's not my top guy.

The thing about Willie even if you're luke warm to him as I am, is he is real. He's not a frat boy who decided to get into the country music business and be all hat and no cattle. Most of them are all hat and no cattle these days and they play "country rock" not country.

Hey he's great and hey I would like to meet him. And if I ever did have the honor, I would ask him who he likes best and then I would go listen to that person a lot.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 12:58:19

estebanana

quote:

My favorite Country & Western singer was Marty Robbins, who, unfortunately, died in 1980. Marty Robbins' singing and music was much more weighted on the "Western" half of the Country & Western genre. He sang Western ballads, many with a Spanish touch, that told stories of Gringos on the border falling for Mexican maidens, gunfighters, cowboys, trail drives, etc. His well-known song, "El Paso" is the perfect example. Robbins was born and grew up in Glendale, Arizona, just outside Phoenix, where I was born and grew up. Many of his songs are Gringo versions of "Corridos," a form of narrative and ballad singing in Northern Mexico.

For some odd reason this makes me think of George Jones, and the Merle Haggard song with the lyric " now I think I know how George feels"

If you ever get a chance or are interested there is a book by Dave Hickey called 'Air Guitar' and he wrote a story about Hank Williams Sr. called "Glass bottom Cadillac" it's awesome.

Let's get some Marty Robbins on...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 13:05:56

estebanana

Jesus it's been along time. It was Hank Williams Jr.

I used to drink a lot and listen to country music, I got Merle and Jr. mixed up on this one.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 13:29:27

estebanana

This is an obscure Haggard song, but it reminds me of the thing in country music they call the Bakersfield Sound. Haggard played in truck stop town called Bakersfield CA.

There are so many great singers from this era, but really Willie & Haggard are the two guys left standing. I think Haggards songs are harder to take, maybe more gritty than Willie, he does not have the international appeal, but if you're American he speaks to you.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 13:44:59

guitarbuddha

Lets not forget Western Swing.

Here's the fabulous Clint strong before Merle Haggard pinched him to replace Roy Nichols.

My favourite Merle has to be 'Always Late'

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 14:25:54

BarkellWH

quote:

Haggard played in truck stop town called Bakersfield CA. There are so many great singers from this era, but really Willie & Haggard are the two guys left standing. I think Haggards songs are harder to take, maybe more gritty than Willie, he does not have the international appeal, but if you're American he speaks to you.

Unlike Johnny Cash, George Jones, Willie Nelson, and others who sing of hard times, Merle Haggard really knew of what he sang (and still sings). As a teenager he was confined to juvenile detention facilities on several occasions for petty theft and assorted other transgressions. But he really got busted in 1957 during the attempted robbery of a Bakersfield roadhouse. He was convicted and sent to San Quentin, where he did hard time until released in 1960.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 14:52:05

hamia

quote:

ORIGINAL: BarkellWH
Nevertheless, my favorite Country & Western singer was Marty Robbins, who, unfortunately, died in 1980.

1982 according to Wikipedia.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 14:58:08

Anders Eliasson

I must admit that Dolly is the best IMHO. She´s even even a good actress.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 14:59:04

Morante

RE: ports (in reply to Anders Eliasson

I just love country letras
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 15:49:58

BarkellWH

RE: ports (in reply to hamia

quote:

1982 according to Wikipedia.

Thanks, Hamia. I obviously was working from a faulty memory, but have made the correction in my original post on Marty Robbins.

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 16:08:49

guitarbuddha

RE: ports (in reply to Morante

Here is my favourite 'country' singer.

I think he accompanies himself pretty adequately.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 16:15:54

estebanana

If you like Western Swing this is the best outfit after Bob Wills & the T. Playboys

Howling ass violinist and singer Elana James as good as any of the old boys. Maybe better.

http://www.hotclubofcowtown.com/the-band/

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 18:26:24

SephardRick

quote:

See Chet Atkins

Since you mentioned both Chet and Willie...Chet once joking introduced Willie as "...needing a new guitar..."

Funny, I thought he was going to say he needed a haircut...

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 9 2014 16:22:10

Anders Eliasson

And there you have 2 country stars playing nylon strings. One day we will have conquered the whole world.

The day Willie cuts his hair will be a very sad day.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 10 2014 7:17:19

estebanana

Those two guitars are funny, nylon electrics. I think Chet Atkins was teasing him, but that guitar was not Trigger. Maybe they had to play those cutaways are promotional deals in that concert. They may have been payed to both play those guitars. Atkins usually played a different guitar as well.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 10 2014 11:36:00

SephardRick

While we are on the subject of Country stars and nylon strings, check out Jim Stafford's technique on "Malaguena".

At approximately 53 seconds into the song he exhibits an approach to playing that I have never recall seeing before.

(Thought I'd lighten things up a bit. Especially after "The Prof" 's return this week)

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 10 2014 19:04:51
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote