Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Simple songs to learn.   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

ZaidRockso

Simple songs to learn. 

Hey guys, when i was younger i was mostly into heavy rock and what not, and the way i progressed my playing was by covering other band's music, and slowly developed my own style and technique. Ever since i've started flamenco all i've been doing is getting comfortable with compas, and right hand techniques, but i've yet to learn anyone's music, i've written more songs than i've learnt, which doesn't seem like the norm, now i'm not at the level to cover PDL or Vicente Amigo or Tomatito etc, can you guys recommend a specific guitarist who has alot of stuff to play for that aren't too advanced, like when i was younger, almost every intro to metallica songs were easy, and so on.

Thanks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2014 14:15:10

Miguel de Maria

RE: Simple songs to learn. (in reply to ZaidRockso

Paco Pena has a student book called Toques Flamencos which has some very decent stuff.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2014 14:21:14

guitarbuddha

https://www.lasonanta.eu/en/flamenco-clases-de-guitarra-dvd-partituras/la-guitarra-flamenca-de-merengue-de-cordoba.html

Not the neatest or most impressive player but boy does he know the language.

He covers loads of stuff and sings along.

If you don't have access to a singer then the best thing to do is to learn some of the classic song structures by singing and playing basic stuff on the guitar. Then when they are ingrained learn some falsetas to compliment them.

At some point we all have to go back and do more of this no matter what style we are in, this is what gives shape to what we choose to do as a guitar soloist. Don't worry about the lyrics if you aren't a Spanish speaker just diddle along, that's what Merengue does and it didn't seem to do Vicente any harm to study with him.

Happy music making.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2014 14:22:22

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZaidRockso

Hey guys, when i was younger i was mostly into heavy rock and what not, and the way i progressed my playing was by covering other band's music, and slowly developed my own style and technique. Ever since i've started flamenco all i've been doing is getting comfortable with compas, and right hand techniques, but i've yet to learn anyone's music, i've written more songs than i've learnt, which doesn't seem like the norm, now i'm not at the level to cover PDL or Vicente Amigo or Tomatito etc, can you guys recommend a specific guitarist who has alot of stuff to play for that aren't too advanced, like when i was younger, almost every intro to metallica songs were easy, and so on.

Thanks

Let me ask you, when you were in the cover band did they allow you to only play the intro of one song, the middle part of another, the ending of another, etc...only the parts you could handle or like? Or did you have to do the entire tune front to back?

You see flamenco is NOT like that. You actually can learn only bits and pieces of things you can actually handle. THe point is to gather enough material of ONE form to construct a solo that you can actually execute at speed etc. THere is plenty of small things you can take from all those mentioned above. You are allowed to avoid the things outside of your technique or speed ability. THat is the beauty of flamenco. IF you look closer at say, Tomatito, he infact plays SOME things of Paco quite often, yet he clearly can't play entire pieces the exact same. That is totally the POINT of learning from the maestros. Even someone like Paco Peña will have things up there that are as difficult to interpret as Vicente or any modern player (probably things he snatched from Nino Ricardo or Sabicas anyway).

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2014 16:59:03

ZaidRockso

Thanks a bunch guys, a lot of useful information here, will definitely check everything out and learn as much as i can from them :) Thanks.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2014 13:51:27

Leñador

quote:

Simple songs to learn.

Anything by Nirvana.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2014 16:20:16

HolyEvil

Check out Jason mcguire and Jose tanaka's websites. They are a great resource.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 0:43:19

withinity

Hey man, i used to play Metallica back in the day aswel.

I'm also a noob in reguards to flamenco but over the coarse of a year or two i managed to learn a few things.

Its said alot on this forum but it cant really be said enough imo , which is if you want to learn this stuff you really gotta listen/watch the maestros , especially Cante accomp.

I have not learnt any songs yet, because in reality i'm not capable of learning a complete flamenco solo piece put together by someone else which utilizes the full range of techniques , neither could you by the sounds of it so getting comfortable with compas and Right hand technique is a good investment of time.

Like Ricardo said , learn the bits that you can handle and once you can handle them even better then maybe you can learn another bit which helps you get familiar with something else etc etc,

These bits and pieces end up comprising the whole , so i would focus on quality over quantity as it were, stick to mastering a few compas at a time, which can be taken from absolutely anywhere, work with every resource that you might find beneficial and available to you.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2014 7:25:22

mark74

Juan Martin has leveled stuff to start out with

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2014 21:26:34
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread