Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Flamenco and Classical guitar duet   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ruphus

RE: Flamenco and Classical guitar duet (in reply to runner

quote:

ORIGINAL: runner

Leonard Meyer and others have shown that, as we hear music, we are constantly assessing and attempting to predict what the next note or sequence of notes will be, based on what we are now hearing and have already heard.

Mentioned this example long time ago:
I was playing very harmonic music on a superp stereo to youngsters in Near East who were exclusively accustomed to local fiddling of tight variety.
They had already been listening to stuff like Simon & Garfunkel without a blink, and when Pink Floyd´s DSOTM was over, they turned to me and said something to the extend of:
"To us it is as if there were all wrong notes being hit".

Go figure.

I agree with Bliblablub.
There definitly exist such things like bad taste / cluelessness and pseudo creativity / art.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 10 2014 19:37:50

runner

RE: Flamenco and Classical guitar duet (in reply to Ruphus

Ruphus' post points out that I need to clarify Meyers' timeframe in regard to listening to some specific piece of music: when he says we predict what notes we expect to hear next based on what we are hearing and have heard, Meyers refers to a short timeframe very close to the actual moving sequence of notes in the piece as we listen. Longer-term concerns are more associated with issues of mood and style of the composer, performer, or genre of the piece being listened to. The short-term emphasis is especially potent when we hear a piece for the first time; the longer-term concerns will also always be in play. We may not have heard a particular piece by Brahms, but his propio sello may be well-known to us, and that will also color our reaction.

A striking example of the importance of expectation and prediction in music is the total collapse of both serialism and indeterminacy (aleatoric music) worldwide. Both these musical schools destroyed utterly the ability of a listener to make any prediction at all, ever, about what the next note or note sequence might be. The result was that, except for the tiny handful of composers supported by sinecures in college music departments, people in droves failed to recognize the product as music. They certainly refused to pay to hear such sounds, with the result that Milton Babbitt of Princeton sourly proposed that serialists and their kin compose music only for each other--nobody else was "getting it".

Hope this clarification helps.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 10 2014 23:46:58

guitarbuddha

quote:

Ruphus' post points out that I need to clarify Meyers' timeframe in regard to listening to some specific piece of music: when he says we predict what notes we expect to hear next based on what we are hearing and have heard, Meyers refers to a short timeframe very close to the actual moving sequence of notes in the piece as we listen. Longer-term concerns are more associated with issues of mood and style of the composer, performer, or genre of the piece being listened to. The short-term emphasis is especially potent when we hear a piece for the first time; the longer-term concerns will also always be in play. We may not have heard a particular piece by Brahms, but his propio sello may be well-known to us, and that will also color our reaction.

A striking example of the importance of expectation and prediction in music is the total collapse of both serialism and indeterminacy (aleatoric music) worldwide. Both these musical schools destroyed utterly the ability of a listener to make any prediction at all, ever, about what the next note or note sequence might be. The result was that, except for the tiny handful of composers supported by sinecures in college music departments, people in droves failed to recognize the product as music. They certainly refused to pay to hear such sounds, with the result that Milton Babbitt of Princeton sourly proposed that serialists and their kin compose music only for each other--nobody else was "getting it".

Hope this clarification helps.

Hey Runner. Did you read my post ?

There may be some fundamentally easier number crunching going on in major key music at a wetware level pre conditioning the preference for which can and has been measured in children.

As for inventing a language I think there may be more Klingon speakers than speakers of Esperanto. Perhaps if Babbitt et al had looked more cool like Klingons then more people would speak their language. It worked for System of a Down.

Steven Pinker is at his least irritating when he talks about the spontaneous nature of language generation in his book 'The Language Instinct' although he dismisses any genetic advantage to music making I think that his logic holds with regard to music also. Any language cooked up in a lab is limited by the charisma of its inventors and probably won't outlive them.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 10 2014 23:54:20

estebanana

Oh God help me, the arm chair neurologists are having at music again!

I hope this is not too "jazzy" _ These two posers should be fined and punished for playing jazzy chords and mucking up real flamenco. Complete puffery and diluting of the art !

:D]

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2014 2:17:41

Ricardo

RE: Flamenco and Classical guitar duet (in reply to estebanana

I need more puro classical style with more notes like this:

http://youtu.be/GAeyhl3UVRE

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2014 4:21:30

Leñador

Noooootes!!!!!! \m/ !!!!!!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2014 4:53:02

Arash

quote:

These outcomes can have also the reverse effects: disappointment that the prediction is so "predictable", and joy at the delightful surprise.

Thats me.
I'm even sometimes afraid of hearing recordings which I like over and over again because I know I'd get bored pretty soon, so I deliberately resist to do that and change to something else and back again after a while.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2014 6:28:17

estebanana

RE: Flamenco and Classical guitar duet (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

I need more puro classical style with more notes like this:

http://youtu.be/GAeyhl3UVRE

AHa vah na gee la ------Hava na geela Havanna gee HAY mis ma huh!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2014 6:33:03

runner

RE: Flamenco and Classical guitar duet (in reply to guitarbuddha

David, I am loving the Ramachandran lectures! Thanks for putting the reference into your post. Even the Locker Room Boys might find them interesting (in spite of themselves).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2014 14:03:27

guitarbuddha

quote:

David, I am loving the Ramachandran lectures!

Thanks !

It's great that you can get them where you are. Lord Reith whose name the lecture series carries is famous for his strong views on the responsiblities implicit in public service broadcasting. So I hoped that they might be available everywhere but wasn't sure.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2014 14:11:05

Ricardo

Your neurologist/art expert (highly opinionated I must say) almost has to put the foot in the mouth with some of the questions starting at 1:17:45

http://youtu.be/0NzShMiqKgQ

If you keep watching up to the IQ denial part, basically he is saying science can possibly prove that you guys that don't don't like what I like are in fact in denial about actually liking it, or in fact "stupid".

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2014 16:43:01

guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

Your neurologist/art expert (highly opinionated I must say) almost has to put the foot in the mouth with some of the questions starting at 1:17:45

http://youtu.be/0NzShMiqKgQ

If you keep watching up to the IQ denial part, basically he is saying science can possibly prove that you guys that don't don't like what I like are in fact in denial about actually liking it, or in fact "stupid".

No he isn't.

I think it is worthwhile taking another listen. He develops his argument starting with animals and empirical experiments showing their susceptibility to prefer abstraction to the real thing. If you focus on how his ideas grow from the experimental data then it is less easy to willfully misinterpret his points.

He is opinionated but also self deprecating and ironic.

Also there is quite the Scottish brogue to his English so I like him.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2014 21:58:17

estebanana

Right back at you Ricardo, I see your Malmsteenweenie and raise you some tasty Cepero Queso!

Locker Room humor.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2014 5:36:23

Arash

love those rasgueados starting 1.15

By the way,
I agree with Buddha's Neurologist.
Therefore .... everybody here must love Paco.
And those who say they don't love his music, they actually love it, its just one of their 25 confused brain parts telling them "don't admit it..don't admit it".

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2014 9:00:56

Ricardo

quote:

He develops his argument starting with animals and empirical experiments showing their susceptibility to prefer abstraction to the real thing.

Right, and his response to the failed experiment on people is that they are LYING. And further, the "lie detector test", so he claims it to be, would in theory prove them to be liars...a testable hypothesis yet to be carried out as he admits.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2014 16:37:30

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

Right back at you Ricardo, I see your Malmsteenweenie and raise you some tasty Cepero Queso!

Locker Room humor.

Ha ha, I know Manuel and the singer Jose Cortes , cool they got to do that with the Paco Cepero!

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2014 16:42:15

guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

He develops his argument starting with animals and empirical experiments showing their susceptibility to prefer abstraction to the real thing.

Right, and his response to the failed experiment on people is that they are LYING. And further, the "lie detector test", so he claims it to be, would in theory prove them to be liars...a testable hypothesis yet to be carried out as he admits.

I guess there is a fine and moveable line between objectivity and dogma.

For me Ramachandran acknowledges this line and the fact that he sometimes tiptoes and sometimes leaps across it. Often I think that such attempt at humility in the face of the impossibility of objectivity is the very soul of irony.

Some people choose to ignore the line because their dogma is to them objectively true. That is the soul of egotism. And so very often the people who make the line a chasm and stand proudly to one side ignoring it's existance can be convincing to those who find comfort in certainty. But of course these people are quite ridiculous to others.

In the end we all choose our audience as they in turn choose us.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2014 16:53:06

Paul Magnussen

quote:

“There’s a fine line between clever and stupid.”

David St. Hubbins, This is Spinal tap

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2014 18:56:32

guitarbuddha

RE: Flamenco and Classical guitar duet (in reply to Paul Magnussen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Magnussen

quote:

“There’s a fine line between clever and stupid.”

David St. Hubbins, This is Spinal tap

Yay !!!!!!

And all the above applies .

d.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2014 18:59:53

estebanana

quote:

Ha ha, I know Manuel and the singer Jose Cortes , cool they got to do that with the Paco Cepero!

I know Jose too, but I did not notice him until after I posted this ! The camera pans to him after some time. In the beginning the dancer standing on the end gives the dancer on the floor a look like, Why is she doing the solo?

I know how much you love Cepero and even though you are lying you don't like this video the Neurologist Team knows you really like this.

This could be Conde' advertisment.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2014 0:41:52

Ricardo

If I said I didn't like it I would be lying yes...but I didn't. I LIKE it! Ha ha! and the conde is sounding good too. And the baile of miguel is ok but he needs to lose the beer belly hugger...doitsujin knows it's gay.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2014 7:50:46

Ricardo

Found some more good stuff

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2018 1:36:02

estebanana

Well that's just tasty stuff.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2018 10:39:31

AndresK

At first I felt it was a bit odd BUT watched it until the end and absolutely loved it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 12 2023 10:35:36
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post