Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Jaun Martin, El Arte where to buy   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Cervantes

Jaun Martin, El Arte where to buy 

I had my first Flamenco lesson last week and think my teacher is pretty good.
He recommended I get Juan Martin, El Arte Flamenco de la Guitarra.
Amazon has it for $26 but is out of stock, I think it must be just volume 1.
I can download it from Scribd for $8.99 but then I don't think I would have the CD audio which I think would be good to have to know if I am playing it right.
Strings by Mail has Vol 1 & 2 for $49.99.
Would it make sense to buy both Vol 1 & 2, any place else selling this?

Thanks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2014 18:34:38

Leñador

RE: Jaun Martin, El Arte where to buy (in reply to Cervantes

Why not from the man himself?
http://www.flamencovision.com/music-books-and-guitar-method/el-arte-flamenco-de-la-guitarra/

If remember right that book USED to be two volumes like 20 years ago but now it's only sold as one volume.

Hope that helps!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2014 20:39:57

HolyEvil

I bought a copy and threw it away cuz there's better resources now, try jose tanaka or Jason mcguire's websites. Seriously it'll be much better cuz you can see the technique rather than a book showing which notes to hit but without showing u how to actually do it.
Save your money and buy a beer :)
If you want juan Martin, then get his videos, much better explanation compared to a book.

Cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2014 20:48:28

kenjo138

RE: Jaun Martin, El Arte where to buy (in reply to HolyEvil

I disagree. The Juan Martin book is a good starting point if you have never played flamenco before. The stuff Tanaka and McGuire teach is more advanced and modern. For beginners wanting to learn simple compas and the basics, Juan Martin does a good job.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2014 21:02:55

Leñador

My first teacher made me go through the ENTIRE Juan Martin book with him, I have mixed feelings about it........Wished I woulda just jammed out to Cante for a year instead and picked up falsetas from various online sources...........

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2014 21:11:33

HolyEvil

RE: Jaun Martin, El Arte where to buy (in reply to kenjo138

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenjo138

I disagree. The Juan Martin book is a good starting point if you have never played flamenco before. The stuff Tanaka and McGuire teach is more advanced and modern. For beginners wanting to learn simple compas and the basics, Juan Martin does a good job.

I was talking technique and not music. The book doesn't show you technique, it tells u what notes to hit but don't tell u how to hit a note, that's a big difference.
And honestly, the music is actually better on McGuire and tanaka site too.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2014 21:15:21

Cervantes

RE: Jaun Martin, El Arte where to buy (in reply to HolyEvil

quote:

I bought a copy and threw it away cuz there's better resources now, try jose tanaka or Jason mcguire's websites. Seriously it'll be much better cuz you can see the technique rather than a book showing which notes to hit but without showing u how to actually do it.
Save your money and buy a beer :)
If you want juan Martin, then get his videos, much better explanation compared to a book.

I did inquire here about Jose Tanaka and did not get much feedback. His web site seems to be defunct and there is no way to contact him even if it claims he will give feedback on your playing. It looks like they will take your money but I am not even sure I will get access to the lessons. Its too bad because I live within driving distance to L.A. and could go there to take a private lesson but Jose did not respond to my email about that either. My current teacher will be the one giving me instruction on my technique, not a DVD anyway. He was the one who suggested the Juan Martin book because it has good material in it. Already during the first lesson he showed me a lot of things about my technique that needed correcting. I did not know much about Juan Martin but after watching him on Youtube he obviously is one of the best, just not a household name like Paco.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2014 21:56:21

flyhere

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 21 2015 23:07:07
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2014 22:17:14

Cervantes

RE: Jaun Martin, El Arte where to buy (in reply to flyhere

I also have the Graf-Martinez book and DVD.
While i think it is a good starting point it obviously didn't do that much for my technique as my teacher pointed out. Plus like other people I find his voice annoying and the songs are pretty dull, but I guess that is what you need as a beginner.
I think my teacher was recommending the Juan Martin book as a supplement, I think he has plenty of his own material to teach with with. I will ask him again about it next lesson.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2014 22:23:17

Leñador

quote:

I did not know much about Juan Martin but after watching him on Youtube he obviously is one of the best

Uh oh....
He's a bit of a hot button issue around here so I'd avoid making that claim. lol

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2014 22:23:42

athrane77

If your teacher wants to work with the JM books then buy them.
Or do you want to go through the book alone?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2014 22:45:09

RTC

I am a student myself and my teacher started me with the JM books. Nice gradual introduction to technics and palos. Great foundation.

Re; I saw some very early videos of Grisha and he was working on JM vol one. just saying
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2014 3:15:51

HolyEvil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cervantes

I did inquire here about Jose Tanaka and did not get much feedback. His web site seems to be defunct and there is no way to contact him even if it claims he will give feedback on your playing. It looks like they will take your money but I am not even sure I will get access to the lessons. Its too bad because I live within driving distance to L.A. and could go there to take a private lesson but Jose did not respond to my email about that either. My current teacher will be the one giving me instruction on my technique, not a DVD anyway.

if you are going through the book with a live teacher then definately buy the book, sorry I thought you were going to go through the book alone.
Last I read, tanaka's videos are all still there just that he isn't adding anything new.. there's a heap load of stuff there though.

cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2014 3:56:50

Cervantes

RE: Jaun Martin, El Arte where to buy (in reply to Leñador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leñador

quote:

I did not know much about Juan Martin but after watching him on Youtube he obviously is one of the best

Uh oh....
He's a bit of a hot button issue around here so I'd avoid making that claim. lol

I think maybe I should have said he is very good. He definitely has his own style which I would guess could be considered old school.
But I like that style as much as the more modern stuff. Its the same with Jazz, I like guys like Errol Garner, Oscar Petersen, Tal Farlow and Joe Pass more than anybody playing today.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2014 3:57:26

withinity

You should message this guy. I think he is having a hard time selling his material but last time i saw he had a whole bunch of different methods from Juan martin, herrero to Graf martinez for sale , there was alot **** for sale at $170 but its not likely he would ever sell that bundle as it had other stuff like novels by Jason Webstar in there.

If you message him , he should give you quotes on selling things separately if he still has them, might aswel try your luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221467495819
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2014 5:36:01

withinity

Looks like he still has them and is trying to lump them with the sale of his guitar now.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Marlon-Navarro-Alvarez-Flamenco-Blanca-HCase-Flamenco-Free-Post-750-/321465888090?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item4ad8dc2d5a
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2014 5:40:16

krichards

quote:

He recommended I get Juan Martin, El Arte Flamenco de la Guitarra.

This is still the best book for beginners.
But you can't learn flamenco from books!
Fortunately you have a teacher too, so you should make good progress. Good luck.

Kevin Richards

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kevin.richards.1048554
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2014 7:32:25

callistoluna

I have a teacher and the Juan Martin books Solo Flamenco 1 and 2. They come with CD and DVD...they are not my main textbooks but a lot of stuff in them is quite useful. My teacher sometimes gets me to use them as teaching aids because I am a visual learner and seeing the TAB/Notes helps me figure out where and what I am playing. Go with what works for you. If your teacher wants you to have a Juan Martin book, buy it and follow your teachers instruction.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 22 2014 9:09:30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post