Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Bokeh Panorama   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ruphus

Bokeh Panorama 

Good day, senores,

As many will know, the occurance of digital photography has introduced a couple of handy techniques, one of which I´d like to ask advice for.
( Thinking that some fellow forists might be interested in such as well, while they capture their kind of darlings. - TYI: Bokeh panorama allows for a DOF and width that is over the physcial abilities of any lense.)

Some may correctly say that I should better ask about such in specialized forums. However, my preferred board on photography matters unfortunately died quietly after hacker attacks ( a real shame, as it was such a great resource), and somehow I don´t feel like registering somewhere else only for to place a single question.

And my question is, in case that someone here might be knowing:

Why does my first attempt ( and third trial in a row) at bokeh panorama ( or Brenizer technique) yield bad stitching?

Could it be because of too large files? ( In the last trial shown below, 18 pics of altogether 2 GB size.)
In use a full frame camera with a tele at 200 mm. Shot without tripod, but hold rather in place while rotating.

I have tried of the most praised consumer applications for stitching, namely PhotoStitch and Mircorsofts ICE.
Also downloaded a sophisticated app that allows all custom settings, however not installed, for it meaning quite a learning curve while the task at hand being rather simple.
- If I can find out what the prob is.

As you can see specially from the guitars neck there is misalignment of the shots.

Gracias!

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2014 15:57:30

flyhere

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 21 2015 23:07:21
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 17 2014 17:45:08

Ruphus

RE: Bokeh Panorama (in reply to Ruphus

Hi,

With the first batch I had tried Photoshop. And now that you mentioned it, I tried again with the current shots.

It came out worse even than last time. :O(

I overlapped about 30% or more.
Never heard that less could eventually be useful. Have you experienced disadvantage with too much overlapping?

Shall try again with less overlapping. Just got to figure it out.
Thanks a bunch, man!

Ruphus

PS:
ICE seems to indeed outperform PS stitching, and its layout is really intuitive / easy like pie.
And it comes in for free. Why not give it a try? It is only 2,5 MB.

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2014 10:46:50

Ruphus

Tried less overlapping and a centered up-right take.
Seems to have helped a little, but still no useful result.

Now suspecting issue with close distance and missed out "entrance pupil" point.
Don´t say it takes a rail for close-up rotation with such lense. >O/

Ruphus

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 18 2014 21:54:20

Ruphus

Looks as if the main issue was indeed the one of entrance pupil point, which can be challenging with a tele lense.

Backing up in my last trial helped the matter further, only that I had to give the composition because of immovable items that wouldn´t allow staying in perspective.

So, I think to know now what it takes for this technique and gear ( more distance, or a rail mount, or another lense that´s on my wishlist anyway).
-

Exploring Photoshop lurked me into some flashing colors. Only a hasty trial with little attention to detail / dirt in there, but I dig the effect of the flash.

Ruphus

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2014 10:52:07

Ruphus

To the end of the excursion it seems clear that indeed it might have been mainly probs with the vanishing point and the difficulty to keep it stable with certain gear.

With the last trial from yesterday it feels as if I had come to useful conditions by ensuring a certain distance with freehand shooting.

Here is the father of a guitar student whom I prepared for a snapshot.

There is a little mismatch still visible at the chairs backrest; and as he moved his right hand it appears cluttered, like movement indicated in comic books, the latter being a funny item as I think.

Anyway, it´s been interesting to approach this technique and the enhancing effects with the exposing will certainly be good for lots of fun to come.
Check it out if you havn´t yet.

Ruphus

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2014 12:57:32

Vale

I'd try taking some shots without that window behind, see how it turns out...
just my 2c
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2014 19:23:30

Ruphus

If it wasn´t meant as means it wouldn´t be there in the first place.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2014 22:30:19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote