Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Put it in the MW-oven   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ruphus

Put it in the MW-oven 

Been watching a docu about an ethnicity on the Kamtshatka island. ( Always interesting to me how dances, rituals and designs of Siberian natives ressemble those of the North-American natives.)

There was a wood worker who would carve funny looking figures. And while the documentation wasn´t really focussing on such detail, I was amazed to see the man putting a chunk of wood into the micro wave oven, for it to dry and be ready for carving.

It didn´t even split.

So, I guess you guys could put an end to those large-scaled curing and storing procedures and just put green planks into MW ovens.

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2014 13:23:41

Paul Magnussen

RE: Put it in the MW-oven (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

Always interesting to me how dances, rituals and designs of Siberian natives ressemble those of the North-American natives

Is it surprising? Humans are supposed to have reached America by crossing the Bering land bridge, after all.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2014 16:27:37

tele

RE: Put it in the MW-oven (in reply to Paul Magnussen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Magnussen

quote:

Always interesting to me how dances, rituals and designs of Siberian natives ressemble those of the North-American natives

Is it surprising? Humans are supposed to have reached America by crossing the Bering land bridge, after all.

Yeah according to historical research native americans came from siberia/russia

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2014 16:36:32

Ruphus

Makes sense visually.
However, the major theory on this used to be that American natives come from Far East, more concretely even descending from Japanese people who wandered in over the Behring street about 12 000 years ago ( and who were the Inuit´s ancestors in the same time).

From what I recall, this used to be relatively undisputed until not too long ago, when artifacts were found ( in Peru or Chile I think) that indicate settlement on the American continent already over 40 000 years ( now I just read 50 000) ago. Followed by the assumption that the Americas were settled diverse times per sea routes from all kind of people.

And by the very latest that I found in the news, the focus appears to have shifted back to the Behring route, with today me hearing first time that it could have been Siberian / Mongolian descent, which as you can tell by my above post appeared so natural to me long since. ( Yet, considered out of question.)

After your posts I made a quick google and found this controversial thread, in case you being interested in different perspectives ( including incredible nonesense like lumping with genesis [ menkind born in Middel East ]).
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100106132216AAzwrFx

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2014 16:59:07

estebanana

When I was a child I went to see an archeological dig in Calico CA in the Mohave desert where Louis Leakey had worked briefly. There were midden piles and charcoal fragments from cooking which were C-14 dated in the 1960's at over 50,000 years.

When I was in China I noticed a lot of facial features of Western Chinese ethnic peoples, non Han people who are Eastern Chinese natives, and the ethnic Chinese people would have very much in common with Plains Indians form North America. They did not at all look like the peoples from Central America and South, but had a tall bearing and the faces of Sioux tribes. I was not able to make it to Tibet in 1993, but a teacher I had went the previous year and said the same thing, that the Kampa people in Tibet looked remarkably like Sioux tribes.

By this time and I have not checked, but there is probably a comparative DNA database available....... but I searched this: 'DNA data on north america natives and Siberians' - You get this range of articles. I would also try a search on 'Comparative DNA North America Siberia' etc.

http://www.google.co.jp/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=DNA+data+on+north+america+natives+a+siberians&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=qRe6U7ydNIvH8gf2s4HIBg

By putting together the physical dating of actual habitation sites and tracking DNA routes the mapping of the migrations and times is becoming clearer. However one issue to consider is that many native groups of people do not subscribe to a western scientific notion of where their groups came from. Some individuals and groups in the cultures of North America that descended from the plains of West Asia hold to the creation mythologies of their groups. Other groups and individuals see room for both a scientific and a creation story interpretation of their origins. So one must take the cultural anthropologists data into consideration too, if for no other reason than to be respectful, but there are also markers a clues in the creation mythologies which can intersect with scientific discovery.

The Oceanic expanse was likely populated by seafaring groups from South East Asia and its thought that they island hopped all the way to Chile, Peru and Equador. The first archeological dates in Oceania begin to be solid about 15,000 years ago, but due to the nature of the conditions in the tropical oceans it is difficult to determine if earlier cultures made those trips and settled. The evidence would have vanished long ago. It's possible that So. America was inhabited by many groups at different times and had both a land migration over the Bering route as well a seafaring groups coming to Chilean- Peruvian shores.

Today the real interesting this is that Turkic and Caucasion DNA is being found in North American natives meaning the land routes would have brought groups all the way from Eurasia and regions of East Europe..(.which is interesting because between Hungary and Western China/Mongolia there used to exist a trade connection in my recent times.)

And lest this become a thinly veiled attempt at purporting to know something of archeology I would advise keep your guitar wood out of the microwave oven.

But then who am I to kibitz?

Stay thirsty my friends, and remember all the little snacks in the courtesy refrigerator in your room at The Emperador Hotel cost four times as much as if you buy them at 7-11 and bring them in a brown paper bag.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 7 2014 4:08:40

Ruphus

From your search, a NT article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/12/science/earliest-americans-arrived-in-3-waves-not-1-dna-study-finds.html?_r=0

Very interesting read, including linguistic clues ( which I always find interesting. There are some certain idioms used in a same way in so many cultures. ... Or e.g. the ME culture where I am now, with its language is supposed to have more in common with French than with Arabian [ though vocabulary containing lots of Arabic words, naturally]).
Anyway, ...

quote:

Dr. Reich and his colleagues have developed a method to define the racial origin of each segment of DNA and have found that on average 8.5 percent of Native American DNA belongs to other races. They then screened these admixed sections out of their analysis.

Makes you wonder why, as there is no question that some European ethnicities made over to the American continent, probably even long before Erikson.
But then again, it says right after:
quote:

Archaeologists who study Native American history are glad to have the genetic data but also have reservations, given that several of the geneticists’ conclusions have changed over time. “This is a really important step forward but not the last word,” said David Meltzer of Southern Methodist University, noting that many migrations may not yet have shown up in the genetic samples.

-

What a loss for the Americas how natives have been deprived of their autonomy and been left behind either eliminated or as overweight degraded, hair spray drinking shadows of themselves. Some of the most beautiful cultures broken and depressed, hardly ressembling anymore their original ways.
-

As a die-hard fan of some North-American natives´ living styles and designs, to whom in childhood was given a book with drawings of native objects and from then on carved his own knives, arch´n stuff ... I misuse the opportunity to sneak in one other time my sorta "Navayo rosette".

-

What do you expect about MW-dried wood? Could figures carved of it be splitting or warping in the aftermath?

Ruphus

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 7 2014 9:49:29

estebanana

If I were gonna make a rosette with a Thunderbird motif, Ild go for this Thunderbird a leave the Navajo alone. Cause if you drink enough of The Bird and steal native images, you become a Nava-hoe.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 7 2014 12:20:40

Ruphus

Nah; that looks more like an ear [ bot.] than anything.
I want the unique and punchy stylization of my brethren, and am certain in the same time that they are having other things to worry about than folks adoring their culture product and possibly borrowing items of it.

They besides sell beautiful artwork themselves, and should I ever come to realize another Rocky Mountain-crossing project, there shall hopefully be enough budget to buy me some of their beautiful clothings. ( My old fringe coat from 1977 is falling apart already. - Though not having left the closet since years now. Imagine one wearing such over here. )

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 7 2014 13:30:36

estebanana

quote:

Nah; that looks more like an ear [ bot.] than anything.
I want the unique and punchy stylization of my brethren, and am certain in the same time that they are having other things to worry about than folks adoring their culture product and possibly borrowing items of it.

They besides sell beautiful artwork themselves, and should I ever come to realize another Rocky Mountain-crossing project, there shall hopefully be enough budget to buy me some of their beautiful clothings. ( My old fringe coat from 1977 is falling apart already. - Though not having left the closet since years now. Imagine one wearing such over here. )

I would not presume to put words in the mouths of native Americans, but I think your understanding of those cultures is a bit distant.

I grew up in the Mohave desert around several different indian tribe lands and I know a few indians who are university teachers. I've also traveled in the Navajo lands and I've talked to fair number if indians about how the images from their respective cultures are taken and used in other contexts. In general they don't like it, and they especially don't like white people making money from the misappropriation of their sacred images. It's not really a question whether they have other things to worry about, it's just not right.

Myself, I would not do it, especially for money, but I won't stop someone else from doing it. If a native person asked me to do it for the right reasons I would. I'm rather sympathetic to indian issues in particular as the areas in grew up in and the entire state of California was one of the last regions where native people were persecuted, driven off their lands and killed.

-The history of the genocide of California indians was still a _live oral history told by people I knew as a child who were very old_ . Today the narrative is still fresh in oral histories and painful in the stories of California indians.

Sorry to pull rank on you, old pal, but you're not born from indian lands and I am.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2014 8:37:30

keith

tough call on putting wood into a microwave to dry it out--not sure how heating the core outward would work. however, heating wood to quickly dry it out can have problems. i have done some wood turning and have used blanks that look great on the outside only to show some problems on the inside. could have been the wood or could have been the kiln drying.

tough call on using indian symbols on a guitar. in the usa it seems everyone and their brother claims some indian heritage yet when it comes down to actual data it turns out most of the claims prove to be baloney. we have a moonbat senator here in massachusetts who used a fictious indian heritage to get jobs at several universities (she checked the minority boxes). turns out she has 1/32 or less indian blood--does not meet the minimum standards by many indian tribes including the one she claimed to be a descentant. long story short, i think if one is to use an indian symbol from a given tribe one should ask permission before hand. afterall, it is their intellectual property.

of note, in the last published census the majority of indians prefer indians than native americans. almost all prefer to be addressed by their tribal name (e.g., shawnee, blackfoot, etc.).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2014 13:07:09

Ruphus

I have met Indians in their homeland ( on the fly) and abroad.
And I heard them saying something to the extend that being an Indian was no matter of birth. That they feel brothers´attitude with individuals from all over the world, whilst in the same time some of their own would not be Natives anymore.

With all that can be generalized about me and them, we are of same aims and spirit.
I certainly respect their tradition and wishes, and on the other hand am certain that they would not mind me using their artwork.
Lest even when they sell it themselves whilst I am having no intentions of making money with it. Can´t remember mentioning any business matters anyway.

Ruphus

PS:
A cousine of mine works as a doc in Natives´ medical care in Arizona ( I guess for Cherokee ). Which is where I got the bit from about severe overweight / diabetes issues.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2014 14:53:35

Ruphus

RE: Put it in the MW-oven (in reply to keith

quote:

ORIGINAL: keith

tough call on putting wood into a microwave to dry it out--not sure how heating the core outward would work. however, heating wood to quickly dry it out can have problems. i have done some wood turning and have used blanks that look great on the outside only to show some problems on the inside. could have been the wood or could have been the kiln drying.

How would the possible damage inside be looking like? Kind of cooked / swollen maybe?

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2014 14:59:34

keith

good question ruphus--i do not know as microwaving wood is probably new territory that may need exploring. i can only imagine a rapid loss of moisture is not all that great. for guitar building one would need a really large microwave to nuke a back and side.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2014 16:32:26

Ruphus

Yep. I was surprised how the chunk did not split in the first place.
Thank you, Keith!

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2014 16:41:38

Escribano

This guys gets the moisture content down to 0%.

With before and after photos:

http://www.richardjonesfurniture.com/Articles/microwave-dry-wood/microwave-dry-wood.html

Looks like it could work for tapa, back and sides if you could get an oven big enough.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2014 17:02:24

Ruphus

Interesting!
He does it step by step, giving it breaks to cool down ( and maybe emit some steam slowly).

Ruphus

PS:
If you can dry it that way, it could be a really helpful method.
But I guess ( as I learned from Andy) drying is not being equal to curing yet. So the long-term storing time will remain indispensable.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2014 17:19:47

BarkellWH

RE: Put it in the MW-oven (in reply to estebanana

quote:

The Oceanic expanse was likely populated by seafaring groups from South East Asia and its thought that they island hopped all the way to Chile, Peru and Equador.

Oceania indeed was populated by seafaring groups from Maritime Southeast Asia, most notably from today's Indonesia. But the origin of the groups who settled in Maritime Southeast Asia is pretty well established to have been Taiwan. Linguistic analysis traces the origin of the Pacific Islanders from Taiwan through the Philippines, and on to the Malay (Indonesian) Archipelago. From there they spread throughout Oceania. All of the languages of Oceania, from Madagascar through the Solomons, up through Palau, Micronesia, and the Marshalls, as well as the entire Polynesian triangle (New Zealand, Hawaii, Rapa Nui, and the islands within--Samoa, Tahiti, the Marquesas, etc.)--are known linguistically as Malayo-Polynesian. When I was in Samoa I detected certain words and cognates that were similar to Malay, which I speak well. For example, the Malay word for the number five is "lima," which is the word for five in Samoan as well.

Speaking of Polynesia, one of the most interesting islands in that group is Rapa Nui (Easter Island). While assigned to the American Embassy in Santiago, Chile, I visited Easter Island and spent five days rambling around. It has a very interesting history and is an example of a people who, after carving from stone and moving to various locations their signature statues, known as "Moai," proceeded to completely destroy their environment, engaging in destructive ecological practices (completely denuding the island of trees) and warfare, eventually pulling down every single moai.

Easter Island has attracted some well-respected anthropologists such as JoAnne van Tilberg, but it has attracted some real far-out types as well. Thor Heyerdahl, (of Kon Tiki fame) has tried to convince everyone, against all evidence, that the people of Rapa Nui (Easter Island) originated from Peru and Ecuador, rather than Eastern Polynesia. And remember that charlatan Eric von Daniken, who was convinced that the moai on Easter Island were created by aliens from outer space who landed there! The moai are spectacular, but they attract some real nuts with outrageous ideas (but I guess such far-out ideas sell to a gullible substratum who will believe anything).

As for buying snacks at the local Seven-Eleven and sneaking them into the Emperador Hotel, rather than taking the snacks from the Emperador's room refrigerators and paying four times the cost one would pay at Seven-Eleven, you seem to forget that only the cream of society lodge at the Emperador. No self-respecting guest at the Emperador would think of stooping to such a common, plebeian practice. You, sir, have just made a thinly-veiled attempt to besmirch the reputation of a long list of distinguished guests who have lodged at the Emperador. Such an attempt borders on slander and calls for settlement on the field of honor. Your choice of weapons, sir.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2014 19:37:06

estebanana

Bar keep! Pistols for two, scotch for one.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2014 0:32:02

Andy Culpepper

Don't try it with Bloodwood. I once bought a Bloodwood turning blank to use for rosettes that was improperly cured. It was completely dipped in wax instead of just on the ends, and when I cut into it it was actually wet to the touch.
I decided to try putting a chunk in the microwave; it spat hot resin that was impossible to clean and created a stench that lingered in the air for days. lol

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2014 1:01:20

Andy Culpepper

On the Navajo thing, I did this rosette for someone in New Mexico recently. The colors were his idea, pretty unique but I like the way it turned out.

Attachment (2)

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2014 1:03:49

tijeretamiel

RE: Put it in the MW-oven (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

ORIGINAL: deteresa1

Don't try it with Bloodwood. I once bought a Bloodwood turning blank to use for rosettes that was improperly cured. It was completely dipped in wax instead of just on the ends, and when I cut into it it was actually wet to the touch.
I decided to try putting a chunk in the microwave; it spat hot resin that was impossible to clean and created a stench that lingered in the air for days. lol

Andy, I can imagine your wife coming into the kitchen and seeing you take out a piece of smouldering/stinking wood from the microwave, giving you a questioning look and you walking out of the kitchen with a look of shame on your face.

Nice sounding new blanca on your YT, can't believe it's your 50th instrument already. I really liked the all cedar guitar you made recently, do you have any other guitars of interesting tonewood combinations in the pipeworks?

Also, here's a pat on the back on the back for the fine work and effort you are making to grow the hair. Good work Andy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2014 8:55:29

Ruphus

With respect to Däniken: Without intending to defend him, I think it worth mentioning that he received the academic guild´s respect for his works in Mexico, and for finding entrance to a certain pyramid.

And who would mind his escapades into space in view of artefcats like this:

I used to know a Silicon Valley person ( very nice guy, I miss him) who in the seventies was taken by Däniken. In fact I think to have first heard about Däniken from him.
-

Andy,

Why will the blanks be covered with wax? To seal against humidity?

Is the rosette motive meant as rounds separated by rhombs, or as kind of pillars on wings?
( Here are rounds & rhombs from North American tribes: )

And what about the drying / curing matter?
Could blanks rapidly dried down to perfect water content be used reliably, or would the material still need to be stored for a long while?

Ruphus

PS:
Funny coincidence. Guess what was televised late last night in German TV special series "Terra-X"? A documentary about the historical persecution of Indians in California.
Yesterday talked about in this thread, in the night then served a film about exactly that.
( It´s weird, but I am experiencing a lot of thelike funny coincidents in time.)

- Oh, and it was said that the eagle is the highest creature to them, because of it coming closest to the sky. ( In truth vultures should be circling even higher, but anyway.)
What a coincidence again!

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2014 9:14:05

Ruphus

RE: Put it in the MW-oven (in reply to tijeretamiel

quote:

ORIGINAL: tijeretamiel

I really liked the all cedar guitar you made recently, ...

Yeah, me too.
Why do I think that an all connifer guitar can only be a blanca on steroids?
... Possibly lacking a tiny bit in tonal depth, but then again with all the blanca characteristics you could be hoping for.

Besides, Andy,

why don´t you do one paper maché axe just for the interesting part of it?
There is a clip somewhere on YT from a guy who built a PM classical. And it sounds really lovely. Maybe a tad too dry for a classical, but overall just too good to niggle about its decay.

As a blanca it could had been a stellar specimen.
Which is why I encourage you and your colleagues to try and build one. It could turn out your personal favourite. ( And hey, I could be wanting one too, as soon as budget and transport options allow ...)

Paper maché for president!

PS2:
From what I remember the man built his PM example really handsome ( looks like just another wood specimen). But I would prefer mine to be a visible newspaper patch. - Slightly stained maybe, but visible NP.

Ruphus

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2014 9:44:34

estebanana

Bill,
Thanks for the linguistic information, very interesting..... You've opened up some areas of study or at least fascinated reading for me. I only wish we lived closer or shared the same Wednesday night bar, I'm sure I could learn a lot from your experience abroad and readings of history.

I remember fondly when Eric von D's sensationalist "documentary" called 'Chariots of the Gods' played in downtown San Bernardino when I was a kid. It served to root me into my penchant for rational detachment and skepticism of all things pseudo scientific which purport be factual. I remember debunking and laughing out aloud in the theater with other bright kids who were also third and forth graders as we picked apart Von D's flawed logic and ridiculous theories. It was a fun film, but did not serve to inform me of salient truths like the books of intellectual and scientific giants such as Jacques Cousteau.

Again thanks for reminding me to reread a child hood hero and truly under appreciated scientific mind who was a true and rational visionary, Cousteau.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2014 12:29:14

Ruphus

RE: Put it in the MW-oven (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

... the books of intellectual and scientific giants such as Jacques Cousteau.

... a child hood hero and truly under appreciated scientific mind who was a true and rational visionary, Cousteau.

Wow!
There you have taken an example for a contrary!

There was little back then to keep me from turning on Wednesdays afternoon TV with Cousteau´s underwater movies. ( And it left me with fear of sharks to the end of my days.)

But what you consider "scientific" brilliance was no more than a well-connected fraud who managed to have provided vessels, crews and equipment for nada as to in the first place enjoy a privileged life like hardly any Onassis.

There the crook would produce fake takes in enclosures about killer animals of the sea. With the animals provoked until finally set to attack each other. Or showing lurked and blood fuddled hoards of sharks in the open biting into each other. The "Jaws" movies later on were only consequential to the image produced by Cousteau.

This scrupellous faker did the same disservice to sharks that the Grimm brothers -unintentionally- did to -allegedly men-eating- wolves ( that would be almost exterminated in the international consequence).

Cousteau´s heritage was the complete distortion of the sharks as aggresive and blood thursty creatures, and the following sloughterings of their species throughout the seas.

And there is even more to be known about this barefaced swindler and reckless.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/jun/18/jonhenley1
-

Whatever you could say about Däniken in comparison. He was at least driven by passion, and though vastly lost, academics would not call him fraud for a reason. They in the end even praised him for achievements in Mexico.

His interpretations did not hurt a single individual, lest even intentionally and carelessly like Cousteau. ( Who in fact wouldn´t even care about environment to start with.)

Sorry, but that personality could definitly not serve as an example for scientifical integrity.

Ruphus

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2014 13:20:16

keith

ruphus--wax is put on the ends of blanks to prevent splits and cracks.

one of my favorite intellectual scams was piltdown man. the great thing about the hoax was it took almost 40 years to "de-hoax" it. the piltdown skull would make a great rosette
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2014 13:49:38

Ruphus

Thanks for explaining, Keith!

Acupuncture and the whole European-made invention of meridian nonesense, or homoeopathy hocuspocus ain´t shabby examples for lasting voodoo either. Same with industry-produced hysteria like on cholesterine, osteoporosis, menopause ....

Or to the contrary industrial suppression of causalities like with the bacterium helicobacter pylori, which was off the radar for over 60 years until `re-discovered´ in the early eighties.

Or old Nazi-chum Conrad Lorenz´ trash on aggression canalisation, still en vogue despite all the plausible alternative.
.. Or the fraud about separated siblings´alleged similarities in the late eighties, serving obsolete trivial prejudice, and afterwards only quietly debunked in contrast to the stir it was published with.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2014 15:21:56

BarkellWH

Ruphus,

Eric von Daniken is known by the true community of scientists and researchers as a fraud and a charlatan. He not only claimed that the Moai of Easter Island were made by extraterrestrial visitors from outer space, he also made many other claims that were fraudulent. Von Daniken claimed that the Nazca Lines in Peru were created in order to provide landing sites for extraterrestrials' space ships. He invented a story about underground chambers in Ecuador that contained evidence of extraterrestrial visits. And his work in Mexico is not known for any breakthrough discoveries.

A real scientist, Carl Sagan, succinctly described von Daniken and the gullible followers who swallowed his nonsense.

"That writing as careless as von Däniken's ...should be so popular is a sober commentary on the credulousness and despair of our times...[and evidence of} object lessons in sloppy thinking. I know of no recent books so riddled with logical and factual errors as the works of von Däniken."

The above-cited quote from Sagan describes the scientific community's view of von Daniken, and it also describes the gullibility and lack of critical thinking of his followers.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2014 15:33:13

Ruphus

RE: Put it in the MW-oven (in reply to BarkellWH

Bill,

With exception of the underground chambers, I have heard of the examples.
I am borrowing judge from articles about Däniken written by reputated journalists who appeared to have followed Däniken´s path and academic feedacks on the matter.

Naturally, there will always be individual scientists who for whatever reason get seriously angry on a case like Däniken on which souvereign colleagues seem to only grin, and according to what I read even paid respect like on the case in Mexico.

Still, without personal knowledge on the matter, I am prepared to learn that Däniken was actually and simply a fraud. Who knows.

Yet, the hypocricy and damages by Cousteau ought to remain unreached by the category of any Däniken coups.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2014 16:57:11

keith

unfortunately erich von daniken opened the door to a lot of "mytho-astro-science" wanna-bes. graham hancock comes to mind.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2014 22:00:31
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post