Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: for real.. he did it! (and I ask) "did he?"   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

kudo

RE: for real.. he did it! (and I ask... (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

, may we ask who are you quoting, or where was this statement originally published?

a public status post on facebook

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2014 4:44:24

keith

RE: for real.. he did it! (in reply to gj Michelob

gj: question for you: recently there was an article on msn about a company suing (sueing?) a reviewer of a product--i believe the interaction took place at amazon. i have heard of other similar types of legal action against people who post opinions on line. how far can we foro members push the legal envelope, so to speak, in writing our opinions of the guy who hawks those hideous looking guitars? we definitely do not want to be defendants given many of us would rather spend our money on guitars rather than legal costs. can we post everywhere possible to avoid him like the plague? thanks.

by the way, going forward i think we should not even acknowledge the guy or if we feel we must we should not write his name. why give this guy anymore time and energy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2014 12:27:32

Ricardo

RE: for real.. he did it! (in reply to keith

quote:

by the way, going forward i think we should not even acknowledge the guy or if we feel we must we should not write his name. why give this guy anymore time and energy.

many of us have been trying, and it works in theory, but stuff keeps coming up and trickling into "real life" from the internet fantasy land. Admin pretty good about deleting stuff so I am not so worried about foro.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2014 13:11:00

gj Michelob

RE: for real.. he did it! (in reply to keith

quote:

gj: question for you: recently there was an article on msn about a company suing (sueing?) a reviewer of a product--i believe the interaction took place at amazon. i have heard of other similar types of legal action against people who post opinions on line. how far can we foro members push the legal envelope, so to speak, in writing our opinions of the guy who hawks those hideous looking guitars? we definitely do not want to be defendants given many of us would rather spend our money on guitars rather than legal costs. can we post everywhere possible to avoid him like the plague? thanks.

It is a rather complicated subject, Keith. In the past, I scolded some members who posted undocumented, conclusory statements regarding Conde Hermanos guitars.
If one writes, "I can't imagine how the two Conde Hermanos (now one) brothers can produce so many instruments out of their small shop. And this suggests the guitars may be made by other luthiers and then labeled Conde Hermanos", this is obviously an opinion. No one can argue with one's difficulty in understanding Conde's ability to produce as they do. What can be contradicted is the inference, that perhaps they are made elsewhere by other luthiers.

However, if one writes: "Conde Hermanos does not make their guitars. I have it from a reliable source that other luthiers make them," this is not an opinion but a statement of fact. The defense against a claim sounding in defamation, would be to prove the statement is "true".

Of course, merchants' statements may amount also to "false advertising" (under the Lanham Act) as I suppose it is the case between Diaz and Estrada, where both have an interest in guitars allegedly endorsed by the late Paco De Lucia. (The Lanham Act generally prohibits false advertising. In particular, it provides a civil cause of action against "any person" who, in interstate commerce, uses... any ... false or misleading description of fact, or false or misleading representation of fact.)

Here is a more official overview:

"An opinion, is a statement incapable of being proven false"
(ONY, INC. v. Cornerstone Therapeutics, 720 F. 3d 490 - Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit 2013. The ONY Court, provides a few helpful guidelines:

"(at page 496) Generally, statements of pure opinion are protected under the First Amendment.

But the line between fact and opinion is not always a clear one. In Milkovich, the Supreme Court declined to carve out an absolute privilege for statements of opinion and reaffirmed that the test for whether a statement is actionable does not simply boil down to whether a statement is falsifiable.

To illustrate the difficulty, the Court provided the example of a statement of fact phrased as a statement of opinion:
stating that "in my opinion John Jones is a liar" is no different from merely asserting that John Jones is a liar.
Thus, the question of whether a statement is actionable admits of few easy distinctions."

"(at page 497) In other cases involving "matters of argument" appearing in print, we have been reluctant to recognize causes of action grounded on statements of fact that are best evaluated by an informed reader. Statements made to summarize an argument or opinion within a book are to be accepted or rejected by those who read the book," even when such statements are made in advertisements.

Scientific controversies must be settled by the methods of science rather than by the methods of litigation.... More papers, more discussion, better data, and more satisfactory models — not larger awards of damages — mark the path toward superior understanding of the world around us."

ONY, INC. v. Cornerstone Therapeutics, Inc., 720 F. 3d 490 - Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit 2013

Milkovich v. LorainJournal Co., 497 U.S. 1, 19-20, 110 S.Ct. 2695, 111 L.Ed.2d 1 (1990).

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2014 15:32:48

keith

gj: thanks for taking the time and effort to write your response.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2014 16:28:44

Arash

In my opinion.....This guy is a ****.
(Disclaimer: this is not fact, only my opinion)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2014 16:37:01

Grisha

RE: for real.. he did it! (and I ask... (in reply to kudo

gj, thank you very much for your clear and informative posts.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2014 16:43:01

gj Michelob

RE: for real.. he did it! (in reply to Arash

There is, of course, an added complication to anything published by means that reach the far corners of the world, such as the Internet. Where does the "defamation" take place, where it is written or where it causes damage? Well, both. So one can bring a claim anywhere in the world, applying the laws of the jurisdiction where the damage was suffered... New York or Spain or England or Lebanon.

Regardless of what the law permits or proscribes here or anywhere in the world, a sound rule of thumb, of civility, is to express one's opinion fairly.

I apply the ancient wisdom "De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum". I praise and wholeheartedly endorse the things I enjoy and like but am very careful with what I don't as, after all, one man's garbage is another's treasure, isn't it?

However, yet, it is the purpose of the Forum to foster knowledge and seeking answers about ambiguous issues is certainly something we ought to pursue.... civilly, but unhesitantly.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2014 16:56:31

gj Michelob

RE: for real.. he did it! (in reply to kudo

quote:

i am sorry bill, i apologize! you are right, its my mistake. i deleted my post but im too lazy to fix my syntax punctuation error

Commendable.

And thank you, Grisha, Keith, Stephen etc. for acknowledging my effort. Not as wonderful as some of your posts on Technique or Luthierie, but I hope my contribution helps clear some muddy and slippery points.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2014 17:23:14

Escribano

Thanks GJ. We should know that this site is hosted in London, so is subject to English law. If in doubt, don't post and ask GJ or myself first.

Usually, the offended party will ask us to take it down. If we agree with their point of view, we will delete it and we have done, many times.

You should also bear in mind that the primary target for the plaintiff will be the author of the offending message and we may well be legally obliged to disclose their identity.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2014 17:36:25

BarkellWH

RE: for real.. he did it! (in reply to kudo

quote:

i am sorry bill, i apologize! you are right, its my mistake. i deleted my post but im too lazy to fix my syntax punctuation error

Not a problem, Kudo. We all occasionally say and write things we later regret.

Now, let's get the guitars out and practice those elements that make us better tocaors of flamenco guitar!

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2014 18:42:34

machopicasso

RE: for real.. he did it! (in reply to Escribano

quote:

We should know that this site is hosted in London, so is subject to English law.

Does this make the site more vulnerable? I know of one legal scholar who claims UK libel law is very friendly to victims of alleged libel.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2014 9:17:08

pink

RE: for real.. he did it! (in reply to machopicasso

From my direct experience,UK law is a pile of s.hite........unless you are in the legal profession. Loop hole after loop hole....all designed to f .luck over the normal honest man and satisfy the greed of the dishonest .'' First hand '' from my perspective....'' factual '' , not ''subjective'' from my experience.... lot of pain and sufferance without justification.
Its probably done some good in its time too though.................................
The meandering of many dots!!

Best

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 29 2014 21:10:19

gj Michelob

quote:

ONY, INC. v. Cornerstone Therapeutics, Inc., 720 F. 3d 490 - Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit 2013

For those who may be interested, there's is an interesting follow up, on the legal issue discussed here. New York courts tighten the Standard for claims of Defamation by Inference, requiring "a showing that the defendant 'intended or endorsed a defamatory inference.'

Plaintiff here is represented by a dear friend of mine.

Read more: http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/id=1202657297318/Panel-Sets-Standard-for-Defamation-by-Implication-Claims#ixzz33J6lAG9Z

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2014 15:27:58
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote