Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Adjusting action and intonation?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

jshelton5040

RE: Adjusting action and intonation? (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

You are charging way too little for work John as the Oakland shop was behind the times and price in 2010 when I last worked there. He raised his prices for dealers since then.

We have so little repair work now that it doesn't make any difference; however when we lived in the city repairs usually brought in much more money than guitar sales. I set our repair prices based on an hourly wage that I felt was fair which was $35/hour a few years ago. A fret job seldom takes more than a couple of hours.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2014 16:11:15

estebanana

RE: Adjusting action and intonation? (in reply to jshelton5040

Usually shops are charging between $50.00 and $80.00 an hour for repair work today in the major cities. 35.00 is like late 1970's - 1980's prices. Seriously.

Metal shops, machine shops, cabinet shops and other like skilled work usually charges around 40.00 to 90.00 per hour depending on the type of shop so guitar set up and really fits in that slot somewhere. Usually guitar repair shops have set prices for standard jobs based on an average of $60.00 per hour. Some shops have dealer prices and some have retail or both.

The Oakland shop has a two- prices dealers get a 15% off charge for referring work to the shop which they often did. And some of the jobs were long restoration jobs or difficult neck resets and other work that required specialization for vintage instruments. The retail prices for non dealers.

I'm not picking on you John, but just testifying to current price structures on behalf of those who still do repair work. I'm still trying to find a repair niche here, but the language barrier is holding me back. And if I could make contacts I would probably not charge as much as those back in the states.

I do remember the Oakland shop fondly, there were always a half dozen projects which involved taking the top or back, or neck off of old instruments going at any one time. You learn a lot being around that. And I recommend Stewart's work highly, he is a nationally recognized authority on vintage Martin, Gibson and American steel stings. And the taco trucks in that area...hmm.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 25 2014 21:26:29

jshelton5040

quote:

Usually shops are charging between $50.00 and $80.00 an hour for repair work today in the major cities. 35.00 is like late 1970's - 1980's prices. Seriously.

I'm not picking on you John, but just testifying to current price structures on behalf of those who still do repair work. I'm still trying to find a repair niche here, but the language barrier is holding me back. And if I could make contacts I would probably not charge as much as those back in the states.

No offence taken Stephen, I know you're not picking on me. I'm an old fashioned fool I guess but I've never felt it was worth $80/hr for basic bench carpentry which is what most of this stuff is when you get down to basics. I understand that making a living in big cities requires a completely different mind set than I'm used to. I can't even imagine living in a place where rent prices are as high as San Francisco. Thankfully I don't have to live there and to your credit you have abondoned that waste land for better environment. More power to you .

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2014 1:11:26

estebanana

RE: Adjusting action and intonation? (in reply to jshelton5040

The bay area was really pissing pissing me off before I left, but I have to say I miss my friends and the music terribly, the tech industry an it's effects on the prices of rents in the city not so much. Or not at all.

But then of course Japan really pisses me off too, so I'm just going to change my name to Stephen Pistofferson.

If we lived closer we could drink wine and you could play the piano and I could play cello and we could massacre some fine music.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2014 3:12:15

jshelton5040

quote:

If we lived closer we could drink wine and you could play the piano and I could play cello and we could massacre some fine music.

Hmmm...piano and cello, now that does sound like fun. Sometimes I miss being able to play guitar but then I sit down with some Scarlatti on the Yamaha grand and everything is fine.

I spent a couple of months on Okinawa in 1987 and really liked the people but the cost of living was shocking. I was glad to return to the US.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2014 15:34:47
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote