Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Advice for beginner - DVDs to start with   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Womble

Advice for beginner - DVDs to start with 

Could anyone advise me?

I’m going to have a go at learning Flamenco Guitar. (The guitar is on order!).
I’ve been doing a little fingerpicking on steel string for about 8 months, using thumb and 2 fingers. And resting my pinkie on the guitar top.

I realize I will have to change this technique; remove the pinkie, learn to use more fingers and grow my nails.

Anyway, my question is what is the best method to start with? (apart from a teacher, which I can’t afford and can’t find locally)

I was hoping to start with the Juan Martin: La Guitarra Flamenca Book plus 2 DVDs to learn the basics, followed by the two Play Solo Flamenco Guitar With Juan Martin books/DVDs (red & green covers).
I’ve already ordered all of these, so I hope I’ve made the right choice!

Any advice gratefully received

Les
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2005 14:03:57

Jon Boyes

RE: Advice for beginner - DVDs to st... (in reply to Womble

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=12749&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

Although if you buy those as well you are going to have a huge pile of tuition material to wade through, with some apparently contradictory information on technique, and I think this is a recipe for confusion. Best to start somewhere following someone's methodology, and branch out later when you have some basic understanding under your belt.

As you have already bought the Juan stuff, concentrate on the La Guitarra Flamenco stuff. IMO this is MUCH more valuable than the Play Solo Flamenco Guitar, as he actually teaches you the basics about compas, technique and so on. Whereas the latter is just a collection of graded solos. I would use the latter purely as chomping fodder once you get a handle on things.

Listen to as much flamenco as you can to familiarise yourself with all the different palos (styles/forms), and don't be afraid to ask questions here, however basic thay may seem.

Welcome to FF, Womble.

(I have Orinoco's autograph somewhere )

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2005 15:08:42

Womble

Thanks Jon.

Yes. I hoped that it was best to start with Juan Martin so I could maybe understand his solo DVDs better.

I'm a total beginner to Flamenco, so will be starting from scratch.

I tried fingerpicking Blues for a few months...but it just doesn't grab me! Whereas Flamenco is exciting!..
Les
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2005 15:27:03

flyeogh

Les welcome to the heart of flamenco. You're never alone when you frequent this place and guys like Jon are always willing to help with any and everything - god bless their little cotton socks

Just a thought - are you from London?

ps: I use JM. La guitarra is great, as much a good read as a course

nigel (el raton de Watford - now Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2005 17:38:30

siyacat

This is the best one Aaron Gilmartin 2 dvd set great price, I have tried almost all the learning dvd`s out there , this is very detailed and made very easy to understand, gerhard martinez dvd is for mor advanced player`s
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2005 19:58:36

Womble

RE: Advice for beginner - DVDs to st... (in reply to siyacat

Thanks for the advice. I've ordered the Aaron Gilmartin dvd set .....should I start with the Aaaron Gilmartin set....or the Juan Martin La Guitarra Flamenca Book plus 2 DVDs ?
I don't want to get in a mess!

flyeogh, I lived in Wimbledon for the latter part of my youth; now living just outside Bristol.

Cheers Les
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2005 8:53:54

flyeogh

quote:

and can’t find locally)

Les cost might be an issue but the flamenco scene is alive around Bristol. If you give the Spanish Guitar centre a buzz they can put you in touch with a flamenco guitar teacher. They are a helpful bunch so worth a chat
http://www.spanish-guitar-bristol.co.uk/tuition.htm

I used Mark Dennett for three lessons. I found it worthwhile despite four hours travelling time there and back. You might get a lot from an hour just to ensure you are on the right track. As the guys say here - it is tough on your own no matter how good the books/DVDs

nigel (el raton de Watford - now Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2005 16:37:30

henrym3483

les,

i got to look at the aaron gilamartin dvd while i was in france (got it from the library, cool eh) and to be honest its quiet difficult stuff for a beginner, lot of left hand extreme stretches but the tangos and soleares i found quiet nice pieces, and im glad i photocopeid the music notation provided for later usage.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2005 17:43:07

henrym3483

RE: Advice for beginner - DVDs to st... (in reply to henrym3483

i just ordered oscar herreros 3dvds will give a resume when i get them.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2005 17:44:25

Womble

Thanks for the further advice. I spoke to The Bristol Spanish Guitar Centre recently; the tutor was full up apparently. But the cost would be an issue for me anyway. At least with the DVDs I can study at leisure over a long time.

I've just received the Juan Martin La Guitarra Flamenca Book plus 2 DVDs. I've only had a quick look...but can't see anything about nailcare, posture etc in the books. Maybe that's in the DVD lesson.

The Aaron Gilmartin 2 dvd set is advertised as "just needing a basic knowledge of the fretboard and a nylon string guitar". Anyway, I'll just have to knuckle down and see how it goes. I only get about half an hour an evening with a few hours at the weekend. I Hope this will be enough time to practice. I realize it will take a long time, but as it's just for my own enjoyment, I don't mind.

Cheers
Les
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2005 7:46:21

Jon Boyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Womble
.....should I start with the Aaaron Gilmartin set....or the Juan Martin La Guitarra Flamenca Book plus 2 DVDs ?
I don't want to get in a mess!

Thats a legitimate concern - as I already said, I think a complete beginner probably would get in a mess if they stockpile methods/tutors and try and do everything at once.
Especially as there are many ways to approach things.

Stick to one for now, Juan's material is fine and is good, simple material for beginners. If you have no teacher, record yourself when you have some things you can play and upload them here for feedback.

PS Nigel is absolutely right about lessons. You just can't compare the price of a method with the price of a lesson from a good teacher.

If you find you get bitten by the bug, like the rest of us you will end up getting help and information from a whole variety of sources - this forum, videos, books, listening to flamenco (very important), lessons as/when you can etc.

Spanish Guitarist in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2005 8:30:28

Womble

Following the good advice given by you all, I've recently had my first lesson. It will be a stretch financially, but I am going to try to afford a total of 10 weekly lessons ( 1hr).
The Spanish Guitar Centre (Bristol) recommended a teacher. And he suggested I take along the Juan Martin La Guitarra Flamenca Books to work to (the ones with the DVD) . I've had a go at the simple Solea at the beginning.

My question is, would it be best to use the remaining lessons to work through the basic palos in the books, thereby covering as many different styles as possible....or concentrate on learning the basic plus the more advanced pieces in Solea etc?

Cheers
Les
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 4 2006 14:42:17

[Deleted] (in reply to Womble

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 4 2006 16:56:11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages