Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Paco's stamp   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

zata

Paco's stamp 

It's extremely moving to see this. The stamp will be issued in just a few days, on April 23rd.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2014 22:53:33

estebanana

RE: Paco's stamp (in reply to zata

This is great. I read that you and Brook Zern took this in hand and accomplished it by personally petitioning the Spanish postal service. That was quite awesome.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2014 23:58:09

zata

RE: Paco's stamp (in reply to estebanana

quote:

This is great. I read that you and Brook Zern took this in hand and accomplished it by personally petitioning the Spanish postal service. That was quite awesome.

Following instructions from the Spanish Postal Service about how to request a stamp for Paco, Brook Zern and I wrote a formal petition which we sent to the Comisión Filatélica del Estado. After a time I received official notification and a telephone call from the Subdirección General del Régimen Postal that the request would be granted taking advantage of the fact that a stamp in honor of the Spanish guitar was already scheduled to come out in April (normally the entire process would have taken up to a year). The stamp was hastily redesigned to include Paco’s name and image, and we’re delighted with the result.

Only today did I discover that a philatelic society made a similar request, although the confirmation I received from the authorities had made no mention of this. I can only assume the duplicate petition made a strong case for the stamp…it’s too bad bureaucracy doesn’t always work so quickly.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 0:39:17

vigrond

I am wondering how someone in California like me might be able to obtain one of these.

I do have a friend visiting in Spain at the moment, would they issue these at all postal offices?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 2:50:41

vigrond

here's the official writeup

http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/site/coleccion-1363186855440-galeria_sellos_filatelia/detalle_emision-sidioma=en_GB-tituloPrincipal=Issues+Spain+A%25C3%25B1o+2014
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 3:08:55

Arash

Thats some great news and thanks for the effort to make this possible.

http://www.flamencoexperience.com/blog/?p=1236

I want to have a stamp sheet of these.
Lets see how we can buy it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 4:28:47

El Kiko

absolutely brilliant ... great work .. simple and so effective ..... and i will have a new avatar now too ...

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 8:21:16

machopicasso

quote:

It's extremely moving to see this. The stamp will be issued in just a few days, on April 23rd.

Thanks for help making that happen, zata. That's a real service.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 8:42:27

zata

RE: Paco's stamp (in reply to vigrond

quote:

would they issue these at all postal offices?

They'll be available at all post offices, but they're expecting a large demand initially. However, the stamp has been designated "unilimited issue", so they should be available for a long time.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 8:51:07

mezzo

from time to time I read Faustino's blog and it amaze me how he manages to focus on the fact that Flamenco is highly depreciated by media, elite, govt and such in Spain.
Now I see this stamp. Obviously, great work. Good to have it.
But WTF!! Guitarra Espanola??

Thanks Faustino to pointing things out!

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 8:52:22

zata

RE: Paco's stamp (in reply to mezzo

quote:

Now I see this stamp. Obviously, great work. Good to have it.
But WTF!! Guitarra Espanola??

No. Total innocence on the part of the authorities, they rose admirably to the occasion.

The official phone call I received confirming the favorable response to our request...I will never forget it...went like this (translated):
----------------------------------------
"Madam, we are very pleased to inform you that your request that a postage stamp be issued in honor of Paco de Lucía, has been granted. In actual fact, you have been very lucky...oh, I'm terribly sorry, please forgive me, obviously the loss of this man was a terrible tragedy...but I mean "lucky" within the circumstances. The European Philatelic Commission obliges member countries to issue certain series of stamps periodically. Right now we're issuing a series in honor of musical instruments, and by sheer coincidence, April was to have represented the "Guitarra Española". In response to your petition, the philatelic authorities called a meeting and resolved to alter the design of the stamp to include the name and image of Paco de Lucía, because the alternative would be a one-year delay until new issues are decided upon."
----------------------------------------

So by European law, the stamp had to include the words "Guitarra Española". A one-year delay would not have been a positive thing, and who knows, by then the emotion might have worn off a bit and the resolution might not have passed.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 9:52:23

mezzo

quote:

So by European law, the stamp had to include the words "Guitarra Española".

So once again, Europe tiene la culpa.

Contextualization made it clear. I was on a biased interpretation.
Maybe I'm too picky, but I first saw Paco's face and said, wow nice. Then my eyes deported to left and read Spanish Guitar. Ouchhh!! that's suk.
Sorry but something sounds wrong in that.
Like I said, this stamp is a good thing. The timming and all the efforts you made...
Fact is I can't feel it otherwise, something hurts me. This adjective is disrespectful

European election coming soon. I'm gonna punish with my vote

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 10:28:25

zata

quote:

So once again, Europe tiene la culpa. [...]
Fact is I can't feel it otherwise, something hurts me. This adjective is a lack of respect

You have to understand the context. A list of musical instruments to be highlighted was drawn up long ago, long before Paco left us, and written into law ("BOE", boletín oficial del estado)...violin, piano, cello, etc...and "Spanish guitar" was included to distinguish from electric guitar. "Acoustic guitar" would have been more accurate, but the general public would not understand the term, and "Flamenco guitar" did not fit the broad classification.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 10:39:33

keith

quick question--who chose the photo? i noticed the stamp has paco playing what appears to be his line of guitars and not a conde--at least not a media luna conde.

nice job zata getting a stamp--and in record time. here in the usa it take a long time if ever.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 10:45:48

estebanana

They made poor Paco look like Charles Bukowski with a guitar, but I'm getting over it. At least they got it done.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 11:30:53

zata

quote:

They made poor Paco look like Charles Bukowski with a guitar, but I'm getting over it.

Aw, I thought it was a great choice...it's an exact reproduction of a photo...couldn't locate the original, but it's clearly from this shoot (notice identical left hand). He's clearly no longer a kid, but not looking as rough around the edges as in recent years.

I had feared they would show him in that tacky striped jacket from the "Entre dos Aguas" era, or with the long overcoat from "Cositas Buenas", looking like the director of a funeral home.

One person wrote me privately that with the ethereal lighting he looks like Jesus Christ...

Attachment (1)

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 12:10:46

mezzo

quote:

You have to understand the context.

Yes, I understood the context. I just wrote it the way I felt it.

"quick question--who chose the photo?"
Hopefully they didn't choose the pic with an Andalusian one

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 12:57:13

zata

quote:

"quick question--who chose the photo?"

The powers that be. In this case, the Comisión Filatélica del Estado.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 13:01:35

estebanana

Love the Paco stamp, but I also like Hank Chinaski, so I guess it's a win-win.

Attachment (3)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 13:27:40

changue

quote:

Aw, I thought it was a great choice...

It is a great choice. Everything about this is truly great. It's magnificent. All I can do is to offer my most sincere and heartfelt congratulations and thanks to those who made it happen.

Very best regards,

Charles
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 13:41:26

Estevan

I read some weeks ago that there is a plan to name a subway station after Paco in the northern wastelands of suburban Madrid, which to my mind is hardly an honour.

But this is great - and 'unlimited issue' - as it should be.
Well done Zata and Brook - ¡Enhorabuena!

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 17:56:52

Ruphus

Thank you very much for the kind engagement and the result!

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 18:02:19

Ruphus

RE: Paco's stamp (in reply to Estevan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Estevan

I read some weeks ago that there is a plan to name a subway station after Paco in the northern wastelands of suburban Madrid, which to my mind is hardly an honour.

It amazes me how little Spain seems to actually appreciate it´s art of flamenco.
While to me there appears none of its culture product more prominent than that, including Goya, Dali and Gaudi.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2014 18:07:15

machopicasso

quote:

You have to understand the context. A list of musical instruments to be highlighted was drawn up long ago, long before Paco left us, and written into law ("BOE", boletín oficial del estado)...violin, piano, cello, etc...and "Spanish guitar" was included to distinguish from electric guitar.

Curiously, do you know if any other guitarists are featured under the category of "Spanish guitar"? Or is it just Paco?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2014 9:50:36

zata

RE: Paco's stamp (in reply to machopicasso

quote:

Curiously, do you know if any other guitarists are featured under the category of "Spanish guitar"? Or is it just Paco?

Surprisingly, there's a very rigid system surrounding the whole stamp thing. It was explained to me that Spain is under the legal obligation of periodically issuing series of stamps, in this case, highlighting musical instruments. Other series are devoted to food, museums, sports, etc. It's not a series honoring musicians, but rather instruments, and there is one stamp per instrument.

So it really was a stroke of luck...some might say heavenly intervention...not only that April was already slated to feature the Spanish guitar, but that the commission saw fit to get Paco's name and image on the stamp at the last minute. Other instruments in the series are depicted with no interpreter.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2014 11:04:12

estebanana

Everyone realized Paco was very special, even postal workers and bureaucrats.

You have to think that a bureaucrat went home at night opened a bottle of wine and looked at the records on the shelf as away of forgetting the bureaucratic world he endured that day. He picked out Paco's record put on, and traveled into a few minutes of heaven.

Then Zata wrote him a said please make a Paco postage stamp. The man says with pleasure and sadness.

Everyone knew Paco. I have poet friend who went on a Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage bus ride from San Sebastian to Santiago. This was back in the days of mix tapes where you gave a friend a special cassette tape you mixed for them from your album collection. This Santiago tape had Paco and Camaron mostly....well they played it much of the way. My friend gave it to the bus driver and he popped in in the cassette player of the bus.

My friend wrote me after the trip and said the music of Paco and Camaron brought the whole group together and they journeyed on this pilgrimage to Paco. It does not surprise me a government office recognized they better move and make this stamp for Paco. His music changed peoples lives and everyone knows it.

Good on you Zata for prompting this with Brook. ( as the Aussies say)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2014 11:31:37

zata

quote:

You have to think that a bureaucrat went home at night opened a bottle of wine and looked at the records on the shelf as away of forgetting the bureaucratic world he endured that day. He picked out Paco's record put on, and traveled into a few minutes of heaven.

I love this little scenario...it left me in a puddle of tears.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2014 11:43:24

Escribano

Many thanks for your efforts, Estela

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2014 12:12:15

edguerin

quote:

Sorry but something sounds wrong in that.

I feel it's great, that Paco was chosen to represent the "Guitarra Española"!
After all, the guitarra flamenco IS a guitar española.
And, isn't it great, that Paco's on the stamp, rather than Segovia?

Thanks Estela

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2014 12:44:13

zata

RE: Paco's stamp (in reply to edguerin

quote:

isn't it great, that Paco's on the stamp, rather than Segovia?

Segovia was never in the running. The design of the stamp had already been finalized and it only showed the image of an acoustic guitar.

That's what's so impressive, that these stodgy bureaucrats were flexible enough to permit the image of a person on the stamp.

By contrast, the Festival de Jerez, during which Paco left us, did not see fit to do one single thing for Paco, not even a mention, although many of the performing artists offered their own personal tribute. Mostly I remember the evening of guitarist Antonio Rey's recital. At the beginning of the concert he walked on stage alone with his guitar and stood motionless and in total silence under an overhead spot for several minutes. No word was spoken, but people in the audience bowed their heads and many were sobbing.

Joaquín Grilo also found a tasteful way to honor Paco, ending his show with this moving tableau....

Attachment (1)

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2014 13:12:01
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages