Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Spanish Village called "Kill the Jews"   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

tijeretamiel

Spanish Village called "Kill th... 

I came across this article
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/14/spain-castrillo-matajudios-kill-the-jews-name-change

and couldn't quite believe what I read.

It sounds like something from the "Borat" film.

It's incredible that there are Spanish names which translate to 'Kill the Jews' and 'Kill the Moors'.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2014 17:57:36

Arash

RE: Spanish Village called "Kil... (in reply to tijeretamiel

Thats quite astonishing, then again a village with 60 residents can be overlooked easily. Even the small street I live in has more residents than this entire village.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2014 18:41:11

Estevan

Yes, I was going to post that too.

quote:

It's incredible that there are Spanish names which translate to 'Kill the Jews' and 'Kill the Moors'.

Not to mention a drink for Good Friday!

But that's history. Spain is a nation founded on what is now called 'ethnic cleansing' - the persecution and eventual expulsion of the Jews in 1492, and thereafter the persecution and eventual expulsion of the Arabs and Berbers (moriscos) around 1610. All this in pursuit of religious purity.

The part about the moros has been a proud element of the national myth for centuries, and there are many regional celebrations where good-guy 'cristianos' do mock-battle with bad-guy 'moros' (in tasteful blackface) in a carnival atmosphere.

In Granada on 2nd January there's a military parade commemorating the surrender of the last Islamic kingdom on the peninsula (Día de la Toma), which brings out the fascist and racist supporters on one side and those of a more progressive tendency on the other.
There are even some liberal-minded politicians who have proposed that such an event is not an appropriate thing to celebrate in this day and age, but they have a hard job ahead of them.

But look, it's only 2014 and the officials of the village of Castrillo Matajudíos are considering changing the name. Not quite in time for Passover.

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2014 19:13:59

Escribano

RE: Spanish Village called "Kil... (in reply to Estevan

Not all Moros left, of course. After the fall of Granada and once over the hill of El Suspiro Del Moro, many integrated into the local villages in the valleys and apart from the odd skirmish, they lived peacefully amongst Católicos and Jews. The Muslim history is still apparent today in the place names and local customs.

I lived in one such valley.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2014 19:28:00

Estevan

RE: Spanish Village called "Kil... (in reply to Escribano

quote:

Not all Moros left, of course.

After many changes of policy it was decided in the early 1600s to round up all the Moriscos and ship them to North Africa. Of course they couldn't get them all, but they tried.

quote:

After the fall of Granada and once over the hill of El Suspiro Del Moro, many integrated into the local villages in the valleys and apart from the odd skirmish, they lived peacefully amongst Católicos and Jews.

Not for long.
Matthew Carr's "Blood and Faith: The Purging of Muslim Spain" is a good historical account.

Meanwhile:
Morisco rebellions in Granada

Expulsion of the Moriscos

Alhambra Decree

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2014 20:42:20

Miguel de Maria

A charming legacy, isn't it? But what country wasn't founded on ethnic cleansing? The US, the country with which I'm most familiar, certainly was.

There was a Cuban artist named Miguel Matamoros, and I always wondered what was up with that name. I can't help but think that if we had a town called "Apache-Killer" or something like that here in the US, Fox News and the conservatives would run with that story and celebrate it as a part of our prized tradition and history.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2014 23:59:46

estebanana

quote:

Not all Moros left, of course. After the fall of Granada and once over the hill of El Suspiro Del Moro, many integrated into the local villages in the valleys and apart from the odd skirmish, they lived peacefully amongst Católicos and Jews. The Muslim history is still apparent today in the place names and local customs.

I lived in one such valley.

And in the old days they ate the jamon in public to show they were good Catholics!

Well I think that came in later during the Inquisition when "judiazers" were sought out and punished. All very gruesome and ignorant.

But I heard that is why in a bar in Spain if a bartender cuts some jamon everyone watching the futbol match will turn and look. I've been told that cutting jamon is an art and that the 'cult of jamon' as a name to signify the act of eating the jamon to look more Christian.

Or this could just be more Spanish culture myth BS.

Anyone care to elaborate on the truth behind these ideas? I'm interested in this.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 2:09:09

Miguel de Maria

Stephen, I know you think you're too good for le wik, but you might check out the article about "The Black Legend". Not completely off topic.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 2:17:17

estebanana

RE: Spanish Village called "Kil... (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

A charming legacy, isn't it? But what country wasn't founded on ethnic cleansing? The US, the country with which I'm most familiar, certainly was.

I don't think countries are founded on ethnic cleansing policies, or at least the US was not. At the start of the republic the founding fathers were interested in integrating the Indian nations into the matrix of the society. George Washington spoke about it.

The US founders were not using policies of ethnic cleaning to found the nation. Quite the opposite, slavery is complex and sad part of the birth of the nation. Only later when the concept of manifest destiny and the populist revolution of moving westward did the killing of Native American's or indigenous peoples begin in a systemic way.

The president who's portrait is found on the US twenty dollar bill is the one who really pushed for the horrific idea of wiping out Indians. The founders were interested in co-existence and did not formulate policy based on ethnic cleansing. All men are created equal applied to the Indian nations, but not to Black slaves - and black slaves were subjected to a ethic ridicule, but not sought out and killed. Slavery was kind of genocide, it killed many hundreds of thousands if not millions, but it was not the intention of the founders to do it as political policy. It was a by product of commerce. The founders accepted the death of slaves as collateral losses to do business. Just because slavey and the human misery is caused was by product of commerce does not make it any better, but it's one of those areas where you have look closely at what is intentional and happens due to circumstances and the morals and ethics of the time period. It was morally and ethically wrong but different than ethnic cleansing in our modern sense of understanding.

Not all the founders were pro-slavery, but that idea was not contested politically until the Civil War. I think the country was founded on a false premise that all men are created equal and that real active policy genocide did not happen until later. The indian/white wars in the beginning of the nation were not about wiping out indians. They were complex territorial affairs which had to do with border disputes between the French and non French settlers in the Americas and indians choose sides and fought on the side of whom ever they thought would create treaties in their best interest.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 2:27:16

estebanana

quote:

Stephen, I know you think you're too good for le wik, but you might check out the article about "The Black Legend". Not completely off topic.

Is thin reference to jamon etc?

I look at wiki sometimes, but I feel books in libraries and time to contrast a compare ideas through careful reading is more valuable and correct. I have a problem with Wiki only because people will read an article then bandy it about as if it were fact. The problem is it needs to be cross checked to be real valuable information. And I dislike it when someone does a quick study on a subject via wiki and then comes off like an expert who wrote a doctoral paper on it. Even doctoral papers can be crap.

So my snobiness is really a reaction to those who use wiki to be smug and add fire to online fame wars. If it's used in positive way and the information is reliable ok I'll use it.
I just don't like when people read three paragraphs of a wiki article and then proclaim mastery over a subject.
--------------------------------------------

EDIT

yes I looked up the article The Black Legend. Ok, I'll see it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 2:41:47

BarkellWH

RE: Spanish Village called "Kil... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

I look at wiki sometimes, but I feel books in libraries and time to contrast a compare ideas through careful reading is more valuable and correct.

I'm with you on the subject of Wikipedia, Stephen. It gets many things correct, of course; but it is wrong, or at best incomplete, in its discussion of a subject often enough to warrant the designation of being an Encyclopedia of Misinformation.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 3:33:33

Escribano

RE: Spanish Village called "Kil... (in reply to Estevan

quote:

Of course they couldn't get them all, but they tried.

Thanks for the wiki references. I am going on local folklore/legend/spoken word in the area. Many found a living (or surfdom) on the land. How many survived later expulsions, I cannot say.

I found this interesting paper on the history of andaluz dialect by a Professor of Spanish & Linguistics at Pennsylvania State.

Of note is this extract, which mentions re-importing Moors as slaves.

"Following these mass deportations, the conquering Spaniards frequently brought in Moorish slaves from other provinces, to work as artesans and skilled laborers. The Moslems lived in ghettoes known as morerías or aljamas. The Moors remaining in Christian Spain were known as mudéjares, and became increasingly marginalized members of an overwhelmingly Christian and Castilian society. In rural regions a considerable Moslem population remained, but many were forced to work the lands of Christian conquerors as serfs. This resulted in several uprising of Moorish peasants, and in several regions of Murcia and Andalusia rural Moslems were later expelled to Granada."

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 7:39:17

Anders Eliasson

Well, there´s a "Matamoros" in Mexico and there´s a "Valle de Matamoros" in Badajoz province in Spain. Why isnt there a Matatodos somewhere?

Wikipedia is full of misinfo, I agree, but so is the rest of the internet and basically all information is loaded with interests. How far is the info that we get about the Ukranian crisis from the one they get in Russia and where´s truth?
The world is full of misinformation. Even our own foroflamenco is like that.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 10:48:43

mark indigo

quote:

quote:

Of course they couldn't get them all, but they tried.

Thanks for the wiki references. I am going on local folklore/legend/spoken word in the area. Many found a living (or surfdom) on the land. How many survived later expulsions, I cannot say.

my memory of this is a bit hazy as I read this book about 15 years ago, so feel free to check this out and correct me.

I read a study of Gypsies in Europe, their origins, history, migration etc. and the chapter on Spain said that around the time of the expulsion of the Moors from Spain the Gypsy population expanded rapidly.

The explanation for this was that some of them "became" Gypsies in order to stay in Spain, although there didn't seem to be concrete proof of this.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 13:03:47

Miguel de Maria

Stephen, thanks for the in-depth post, as always (understand I was being facetious with criticizing you for... criticizing... wikipedia. Wikipedia may have glaring errors from time to time, but as Anders pointed out, most knowledge floating in the minds of people are just as flawed, so until there's a better and more authoritative way to document history--). Your clarifications were interesting but not really to the point. The US as a culturally homogenous entity, being essentially a successor of England; where the non-red man owns everything of consequence, is most certainly predicated on killing 99% of the natives and putting the rest on the land no one else could possibly want. "Founded" was an ill-chosen word.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 14:43:09

edguerin

The USA ain't better:

check this

or this

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 16:10:34

Arash

RE: Spanish Village called "Kil... (in reply to edguerin

quote:

ORIGINAL: edguerin

or this

I was astonished to see this

58 Gypsys

in the list of offensive names in that blue box.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 16:37:19

gmburns

I haven't come across such brazenly offensive names like this before, but clearly offensive names are still fairly commonplace today. It was only 15 years ago when the "fine" residents of my home state of Maine were in an uproar about changing the name of several bodies of water named "Little Nigger Pond" or a variant thereof to something more appropriate. Funny how things make the front page news for several weeks. It really should have been a non-issue to change the name.

The use of native American names, too, is still quite controversial among sports monikers of course, but there's still a ski area in Maine named Squaw Mountain. Apparently amongst the local indigenous populations the word "squaw" is less "woman" and more "whore." No idea if the natives in California feel the same way about the word.

I've never run across any English town named "Rape-the-Bloody-Scots-upon-Tyne". So funny how various culture may have seen themselves based on their contemporary priorities.

This article has given me some new ideas to jot down. Thanks for the inspiration.

Greg Mason Burns - Artist
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 16:48:30

gmburns

RE: Spanish Village called "Kil... (in reply to gmburns

One other thing to add - culture does play a pretty large factor in this. In Portuguese it's highly offensive to call someone black (preto). The appropriate word is "negro" and the word "nigger" is also appropriate / not offensive (or at least in Brasil). I have to teach my students that the exact opposite is true in English. Cultural tendencies aren't always easy break, however.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 16:51:41

gmburns

RE: Spanish Village called "Kil... (in reply to Arash

Not sure but apparently the word "gypsy" has become rather politically incorrect in English. I think the more appropriate word now is Roma. Again, not sure, but that's what I've heard / learned the past several years.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Arash

quote:

or this

58 Gypsys

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 16:53:14

BarkellWH

I think the Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire in Mexico is as interesting for the reactions it elicits today from those who study its history as it is for the encounter it represented at the time it occurred. I would argue that the Spanish have gotten a bad rap, relative to the Aztecs they conquered.

In considering the Aztecs (they called themselves "Mexica," thus the name Mexico), it is well to remember they ruled an empire. Within the context of their world, both physical and mental, they were every bit as much an "imperial" power as was Spain after the conquest. The Mexica exacted tribute from the subjects they ruled, and they required thousands of individuals be brought forth from those they ruled (such as the Tlacalla) for the ritual sacrifices they performed almost daily. Within the context of their world, limited though it was, I fail to see that they can claim any sort of "moral superiority" over the Spanish just because the Spanish came a much greater distance across the Atlantic to subject the Mexica (Aztecs) to the very same rule that the Aztecs themselves imposed on their subjects.

It has been said that the Aztecs' requirements of tribute and individuals for sacrifice from their subject groups, such as the Tlacalla, cannot be judged by today's standards. The Aztecs, it is said, must be judged by their own cultural lights and the era in which they thrived. I agree with this point of view. We should not impose the values we hold today on the Aztecs of the 15th and 16th centuries. By the same token, however, in order to be consistent, we should not impose the values we hold today on the Spanish of the 15th and 16th centuries either. The Spanish were just as much a product of their culture and era at the time as were the Aztecs. Neither, it seems to me, have a claim to moral superiority over the other.

Finally, it should be remembered that the 600 Spaniards who accompanied Cortes to the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan and the conquest of Moctezuma and the Aztecs were augmented by approximately 30,000 Tlacalla who wanted to throw off Aztec rule. In summary, I agree with the idea of accepting cultural relativity and being non-judgmental concerning other societies and cultures such as the Aztecs, but it must be applied equally to those such as the Spanish, who were just as much products of their culture and era.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 16:54:05

Arash

RE: Spanish Village called "Kil... (in reply to gmburns

quote:

ORIGINAL: gmburns

Not sure but apparently the word "gypsy" has become rather politically incorrect in English. I think the more appropriate word now is Roma. Again, not sure, but that's what I've heard / learned the past several years.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Arash

quote:

or this

58 Gypsys

wow so we are politically incorrect all the time in the forum here.

I was just waiting for Mark2 to post this video

Of course that only counts for us here using "Gypsy" in the right context, not those city names.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 17:07:54

Miguel de Maria

RE: Spanish Village called "Kil... (in reply to BarkellWH

Bill, sounds like cultural relativism. Wrong is wrong, no? (Nadal speech pattern for tennis players)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 17:43:34

BarkellWH

quote:

Bill, sounds like cultural relativism. Wrong is wrong, no? (Nadal speech pattern for tennis players)

Absolutely, Miguel. It is indeed cultural relativism. (I have always considered myself an amateur anthropologist, and my wife has a doctorate in anthropology.) My point is that if one applies cultural relativism to absolve the Aztecs of their imperial misdeeds, in order to be consistent one must apply it equally to the Spanish. If, as you say, "Wrong is wrong," it was just as wrong for the Aztecs to impose themselves upon others as it was for the Spanish. On the other hand, if we are applying cultural relativism to absolve one of the parties, we must use it to absolve both. Either "wrong is wrong" for both, or cultural relativism absolves both of their imperial misdeeds. We can't apply a double standard to absolve the Aztecs of their misdeeds and condemn the Spanish for theirs and consider ourselves consistent.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 18:00:32

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria

Wrong is wrong, no?

Yep.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 18:08:15

Miguel de Maria

I don't think I, personally, will shed any tears over the end of the Aztecs. There is not much to like about them from my Western perspective, except in the sense of curiosity and the appreciation of being yet another expression of our remarkable and strange species. Although I have read Bernal Diaz, Cortes, and Las Casas with great interest, I can never think of the Spanish campaigns without keeping in mind the fate of the Taino and the behavior of the once-hero Christopher Columbus.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 18:13:34

Paul Magnussen

quote:

I'm with you on the subject of Wikipedia, Stephen. It gets many things correct, of course; but it is wrong, or at best incomplete, in its discussion of a subject often enough to warrant the designation of being an Encyclopedia of Misinformation.

My experience has been that it’s reliable enough on uncontroversial subjects; but on others, it’s susceptible to censorship and lobbying by pressure groups (particularly entrenched ones such as political parties, churches and large corporations) and the various flavours of fanatics.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 18:16:38

Paul Magnussen

quote:

Within the context of their world, limited though it was, I fail to see that [the Aztecs] can claim any sort of "moral superiority" over the Spanish

Quite so: the assumption that being on the losing side confers moral superiority is distressingly common.

“Nothing is more common than for previously oppressed groups to oppress others when they get the chance.”

(Thomas Sowell, Preferential Policies)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 18:26:36

Richard Jernigan

"Tlacallans"

Are these the same as the Tlaxcalans? If memory serves correctly,Tlaxcala, although not nearly as powerful, nor the ruler of as extensive an empire, was never conquered and made subject to the "Aztecs", though there was a long running history of warfare by the time Cortez arrived. Nor were the Tarascans of Michoacan conquered by the Mexica, though both Tlaxcala and the Tarascans were pretty well surrounded by Mexican territory.

According to what the inhabitants told the Spaniards, there were five relatively civilized city-states around the Lago de Texcoco in the valley of Mexico. These were founded by Nahua speaking people who arrived from the north.

The Mexica were the last of the Nahuatl people to arrive in the valley, and proved to be quite troublesome to the earlier inhabitants.

After rebelling against the city of Culhuacan, which had employed them as mercenaries, the Mexica took up residence in the middle of the lake on the floating island tenampas they built. Tenampas can still be seen at the "floating gardens" of Xochimilco, southeast of Mexico City, in the Valley of Mexico.

The causeways that led from the shore to the Mexica city of Tenochtitlan can still be seen in main thoroughfares like the Avenida Insurgentes, the Paseo de la Reforma and the Puente de Alvarado.

The Aztecs grew in population and military power. They allied themselves with two of the cities on the lake shore in 1428. The Mexica soon dominated the alliance, and expanded their territories rapidly. They usually left in place the rulers of the people they conquered, as long as they were regularly paid the tribute demanded.

The "Aztec Empire" had existed for less than a hundred years when Cortez showed up in 1520.

Although the Tlaxcalans allied themselves with Cortez against their historical enemies, it took the Spaniards more than a century to pacify Michoacan.

Cultural relativism:

As an Air Force brat I lived in a number of different places, but returned to Texas most summers. From this I learned the "the way it's supposed to be" differs considerably from place to place. Subsequent experience in Latin America, Europe, Asia and Oceania substantially reinforced this experience.

What I took away from it was not that we should never judge foreign cultures for their faults--every culture has its faults--rather that we should regard our own with a healthy degree of skepticism.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 21:52:31

estebanana

quote:

Stephen, thanks for the in-depth post, as always (understand I was being facetious with criticizing you for... criticizing... wikipedia. Wikipedia may have glaring errors from time to time, but as Anders pointed out, most knowledge floating in the minds of people are just as flawed, so until there's a better and more authoritative way to document history--). Yo

I disagree here, Wikipedia has glaring errors quite frequently- and it's difficult to tell when someone is being facetious. Even though I read pretty well, it's often very hard to glean from the context alone in alone talks what it meant to be sarcastic and what it dead earnest. I usually take things to be more earnest because if you are wrong about the posters intent it's less messy. Had I known you were facetious I would have just said "Uhuh."

Knowledge 'floating in the minds of people' is what it is. Some of it is wrong according to you, or Anders, but the differnce between being on a discussion group and reading Wiki is that the Wiki articles are basically non discursive with you. The people who have strange ideas floating their heads are on discussion groups because they are interested in discourse. So you can state a different to pinion if you want.

All I'm really saying about Wiki is that its not a decider, it's just another source. The same as a library is not a decider, it's place to gather and create a synthesis of information in your brain.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2014 23:03:23
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote