Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Francisco Navarro Student or Factory Flamenco?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

wiking

Francisco Navarro Student or Factory... 

Hello all,

So I'm gearing up to get a Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco (Blanca, ebony pegs) as my first flamenco guitar. I've been playing/tinkering with guitars for about 15 years, I'm not afraid of pegs, and I really like their look and apparent tone. I'd like to know how these generally stack up (at around $950 USD shipped to me in Newfoundland) to something from, say, Cordoba like the Solista F, at $1700. The Solista is more expensive, and appears to be made with better materials, but it is still cheaper than the Navarro Concert Flamenco. It seems independent luthier guitars are generally a notch above similarly priced factory guitars, but Cordoba seems to get pretty good reviews and their website looks clean and modern. They look like they can make a good product, and I'm just trying to get the most for my, say, $1700 USD budget. Navarro makes the $950 Student (Price quoted + shipping from Ron at Memorial Music) and then it jumps immediately to the $2000 Concert, and I'd like something in between.

That said, has anyone played a Navarro Concert flamenco and is it so much better than a Cordoba Solista that I should just bite the bullet and go for it?

Also, it's worth noting that there are no flamenco guitars in any of the shops in my entire province (I've called everywhere) so whatever I get, it will have to be sight unseen, unfortunately. I've never even held a flamenco guitar before... Haha.

Thanks for any input
CH
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 2:32:38

Sr. Martins

RE: Francisco Navarro Student or Fac... (in reply to wiking

quote:

seems to get pretty good reviews and their website looks clean and modern. They look like they can make a good product

That was funny

Can't help you with those guitars but they are known here at the foro, just wait a bit.

"Ya no me conoce el sol, porque yo duermo de dia"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 2:42:21

wiking

RE: Francisco Navarro Student or Fac... (in reply to Sr. Martins

Haha, what, why? Are they really just a bag of hammers despite the PR polish? Looks like I should keep focused on independent luthiers then. :P
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 2:47:15

Sr. Martins

A good web designer can make a great website but I doubt they all build guitars.

Don't judge products only by their websites, thats just marketing.

"Ya no me conoce el sol, porque yo duermo de dia"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 2:53:16

wiking

RE: Francisco Navarro Student or Fac... (in reply to Sr. Martins

Yeah I'm not judging them only on their website. Their guitars look very nice, they're made from quality woods (Real ebony fingerboard vs cocobolo on the Navarro) and the photos I've been able to find up close of the joints and bindings look clean and well put together. I'm just trying to figure out if they play as well as they look, since there are a lot of favourable reviews out there for them. Having what appears to be well done sites and appearances at all the guitar NAMM shows makes them appear to be doing well. I just don't know so I'm here to find out.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 2:58:31

timoteo

You could search the foro and see what's been said in the past. For example, to learn about the Solista: http://www.foroflamenco.com/searchpro.asp?topicreply=both&message=both&timeframe=%3E&timefilter=0&top=300&criteria=AND&minRank=10&language=single&phrase=Cordoba+Solista
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 3:04:46

wiking

RE: Francisco Navarro Student or Fac... (in reply to timoteo

Thanks for the link! I find this site somewhat cumbersome to navigate. Different layout.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 3:07:37

wiking

Okay. I'm going to call Ron back and see what he can do on a price for a Francisco Navarro Concert blanca with pegs. If he can't cut it down, I'm going with the Francisco Navarro Student blanca with pegs. I just found like a million posts about how dodgy factory flamencos are from various makers, but nothing but high praise for Navarro's workmanship... Navarro it is.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 3:16:35

mellowmel

quote:

ORIGINAL: wiking

Okay. I'm going to call Ron back and see what he can do on a price for a Francisco Navarro Concert blanca with pegs. If he can't cut it down, I'm going with the Francisco Navarro Student blanca with pegs. I just found like a million posts about how dodgy factory flamencos are from various makers, but nothing but high praise for Navarro's workmanship... Navarro it is.

I don't know since a guitar buddy of mine tried out the top of the line concert Navaro and he said it was a complete dud. We did however just tried out a blanca by Anders Eliasson #103 with the funny uncolored neck and it was very capable with authentic tone and good volume. I wasn't as brittle as we would like but it is still relatively new (2013). Either of us would've purchased it if we didn't have kick-ass blancas already. It is in California, USA and close to your price range. I'm sure you could haggle a little considering added shipping cost.

So what's my point? Well, since you still haven't developed the fine points of judging a good flamenco, then I guess Ignorance is Bliss. But if I were you, with the economy the way it is now, I would save a decent amount of money and go with one of these guitar makers here who I'm pretty sure would NOT ship out a marginal guitar let alone a bad one like Navaro or factory. Talk to them directly and maybe they can cut you the Deal of the Century with one of those 2A which may lack the looks but not performance. That's what I would do. It's worth a try.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 4:28:28

Arash

Order the DVD "El Guitarrero" (laid-back documentary about making a flamenco guitar)
from which you can see the banner on top of the forum page.
The admin of this site (Simon) made it while visiting Anders. There you can see how
he builds a flamenco guitar "Home Alone" style (hand made)
and how much work that actually is.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 5:03:56

Haithamflamenco

ole winking,

look at lasonato web for videos for the fransisco navarro,

Cordoba , my friend owned the F7 model, with truss rtod!! laminated cypressdd back and side and he compare it to the top model solista, the F7 sounds better thane the three piece back solsita!!!

the cordoba 45fm , maple sounds really normal, no flamenco, thick neck.

once I asked your question in the foro, Jeason McGuire adivce me to go with fransisoc navvaro and slivador castiilo, for student guitar,

ole

Bahrain is my country and Andalucia is my dream
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 6:25:20

gbv1158

RE: Francisco Navarro Student or Fac... (in reply to mellowmel

quote:

Talk to them directly and maybe they can cut you the Deal of the Century with one of those 2A which may lack the looks but not performance.

my little advice : go with an Anders flamenco guitar with no doubts... He is a great Luthier and gentleman. I have/play two of he's guitars and have to say they are "top luthier flamenco guitars"!

good luck!
ciao
giambattista
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 8:31:53

keith

wiking--every solista i have played sounds like a bright classical but not really very flamenco. the navarro is a much better guitar for flamenco. as for how much to spend--spend as much as you can afford. the navarro concert may cost more but it is a better guitar and the cost difference spread over a couple of years comes down to a few bucks a month.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 13:05:03

Ramon Amira

quote:

I don't know since a guitar buddy of mine tried out the top of the line concert Navaro and he said it was a complete dud.

Anyone who thinks that Francisco Navarro's top of the line Concert model flamenco guitar is a "complete dud" doesn't know the first thing about flamenco guitars, and as a judge of flamenco guitars is himself a complete dud.

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 14:08:24

Morante

RE: Francisco Navarro Student or Fac... (in reply to Ramon Amira

quote:

Anyone who thinks that Francisco Navarro's top of the line Concert model flamenco guitar is a "complete dud" doesn't know the first thing about flamenco guitars, and as a judge of flamenco guitars is himself a complete dud.

I second that I got to know one recently and was very impressed, especially having played many Reyes before!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 14:14:01

Kalo

quote:

This is true, but, there isn't that much between the Fransico Navarro Concert or The Fransico Student Flamenco.

The only difference and you can ask Ron Hudson is Fransico himself makes the Concert and Marlon makes the Student Flamenco.

You will pay way higher for a Concert Flamenco because Fransico made it himself.

If you don't believe me ask Ron Hudson...

If you still don't believe him...Check out the specs. and compare...Not much difference...

I would opt for the Student Flamenco...

Kalo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 17:55:27

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: wiking

I usually don't like to pit one guitar maker against another but it seems you are strapped for money. If this is the case then try out the Navarro student model. The possibility of it being a good gig guitar might surprise you.

The last guitar that I tried out was made by Navarro's son, Marlon, as a copy of an old Esteso model, and it was a very good instrument; a lot of flash for a little cash, so to speak.

And if you want to go up a bit in cost then order one of Ander's guitars.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 17:57:00

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prominent Critic

I remember listening to a recording with a Navarro guitar which I think was around 2000 bucks or less. I was amazed about the clarity and separation for such a budget.

And seeing all the positive reviews of fellow players, you got to wonder what could be up with people who judge so grossly like the "complete dud"-reviewer. What could he be used to? ... A tuba maybe? |O]

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 19:36:38

C. Vega

RE: Francisco Navarro Student or Fac... (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

And seeing all the positive reviews of fellow players, you got to wonder what could be up with people who judge so grossly like the "complete dud"-reviewer. What could he be used to? ... A tuba maybe? |O]

Ruphus

Tuba playing is a low blow.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 20:01:59

wiking

All good input gentlemen, thanks very much.

I'm definitely back on the Navarro train. Ron even sent me photos of the one I'm after which he's got in stock right now, this is the Navarro Student with pegs:

Attachment (2)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 13 2014 23:18:51

Kalo

quote:

All good input gentlemen, thanks very much.
I'm definitely back on the Navarro train. Ron even sent me photos of the one I'm after which he's got in stock right now, this is the Navarro Student with pegs:

Awesome, you will have a nice guitar and believe me you can't go wrong with the student flamenco.

Also, Ron usually gives a three day grace period and if you don't like the Navarro he will gladly take it back.

Let us know if and when you get the guitar!

Kalo
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2014 1:45:27

estebanana

I think the Mexican guitars from Castillo, Navarro and the Montalvo line are all great guitar values.

Luthiers love to dis them because they are cheaper and undercut their market. I don't even mind saying that because it's true and you hear them gripe about it. But over the pat 15 years I've had many many guitars by each of those makers come through the shop for taps plates repairs set ups, retouching, etc. And seldom was one of them a dog. Some of them were really fine as flamenco players guitars and a few good classicals as well.

Pretty much the same with Cordobas but they always seem a bit stiffer. In the end if there is big difference between all those instruments in the 950- $2000.00 price range it is the personalities of the builders showing in the guitar. The Cordobas are less personal, the guitars by the independent builders show more of the maker.

You could find a Mexican guitar by any of those makers that you could study on for a long time. I like Mexican guitars, and I can say the bar has been raised on quality over the last 20 years. Don't sell them short. The family that makes the Montalvo line was trained by the famous Abel Garcia, and the Castillos and Navarros can speak for themselves as good makers.

Viva Mexico.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2014 3:04:30

wiking

The student Navarro blanca with pegs is ordered! Thanks for your help. I guess I'll be back to ask how in the hell do you tune it, haha! :D
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2014 20:31:59

mellowmel

RE: Francisco Navarro Student or Fac... (in reply to Ruphus

The "complete dud reviewer" happens to be a local professional guitarist (who also buy and sell flamenco guitars his whole adult life) and you two totally missed the point which is the capacity of this maker to send off duds, unless of course you've played and tested each and every concert model guitar he had shipped out. In comparison, I would seriously doubt any of our luthier contributors here would ever do that for obvious reasons. And yes, the tuba player implication was a low blow, jejeje. Thanks for mentioning, Mr. Vega.

And in the end Mr. Blackshear is correct. You do not want to judge guitar makers against each other but rather the individual guitars themselves, and your budget (or desperation, I would say) will have a great deal to do with your final decision.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2014 0:21:49

estebanana

I've tried really hard to dislike Mexican guitars in the $1000.00 - $2000.00 price range. but I can't in the end justify not liking them. I've seen a lot of them many Castillos and a couple dozen Monalvos have crossed my bench for work.

Are they the end al be all guitars? Perhaps not, but some of them have served well as professional players guitars. Are they now quite consistent in structural integrity and good sound, yes certainly.

Mexican guitars got a bad rap for a long time, but today you can hold up the best of them with most Spanish makers at the same price level. The best hand built guitars from Navarro I've seen were quite good, a pro could use one for career if they picked the right one. I know of one pro who uses one last I checked.

If you are looking for a top tier guitar from Mexico or anywhere else be prepared to pay more money than $2000.00- But if you want your first guitar or an affordable extra second guitar in the $950.00 to $1800.00 niche the three Mexican makers Montalvo, Castillo and Navarro are all good bets. If you go for one of their more expansive guitars you will also get a good guitar, but you're on your own judging it.

I'll risk a story that might not even be good for me to tell:

I built a seven string classical for a Brazilian composer performer, fantastic guitar in my opinion. He had to move from the US back to Brazil, he sold my guitar and bought a Montalvo. My guitar was expensive and the Montalvo was not as expensive. He made some money back to help defray the costs of moving back.

He recorded with my guitar and his band mates came up to me after shows to say they really liked the sound he had with my guitar. he like the guitar and recorded with it. So I know it had appeal and I have no doubt it will get better and time goes by. That guitar does not have a big brassy voice, it is more intimate with sweet responsive trebles, really good intonation and a spectrum of tone color easy to draw out. What I would say was a good studio recording guitar. In the right conditions it is a precision tool. I made it that way.

He took home a Montalvo. The seven strings I have played at that shop have big voices, they are robust and strong, really healthy good guitars. They have a different sound than mine. My seven strings are quite good, but I can't make everyones perfect guitar from a cost against sound stand point. I take into account all the factors the player asks for, scale length, sound port, width at nut saddle neck shape. All these things get dailed in special for each customer. That's one big reason why individual builders command higher prices. We work with tight perimeters and specs dictated by the client. Sometimes a guitarist can find a compromise in a premade guitar, but more often in the higher price ranges they just ask a custom builder to make one for them. It saves time and effort searching endlessly for something that the customer may not find.

In the area of under $2000.00 premade guitars the niche is full of good guitars right now. It's a proper price range to get a first guitar because a beginner might not be fully sure of how they even want to play stylistically yet. The specifics of what a beginner wants are not formulated in the players head yet from actual experience. People who start a project like flamenco guitar playing have a notion of what it might be like, but until they play for 6 months or two years the new starter might not know which questions to ask or who to get a good flamenco sound from any guitar.

It's better to not throw all your money into a custom guitar right at the start. Grow gradually and trade up as you go along while you learn which guitars suit you. And hopefully later you come to one of the custom makers to build you a guitar after you know more about it. I'm just being honest, in hopes that as players grow they will patronize individual guitar makers.

And having my own guitar, which was top tier in sound and playibility swapped out for a Montalvo stung in the beginning. But as I thought about it, it's just the business and there's no reason to be insecure. The guitar now belongs to another player and it has NOT surfaced on the open market so it's a keeper. The guitar a starter buys for $1400.00 might stay with them for life, be a keeper too, but five years down the line they might give me a call, or another custom builder a chance.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2014 1:34:48

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: mellowmel

And yes, the tuba player implication was a low blow, jejeje. Thanks for mentioning, Mr. Vega.

Now you are low ranking tuba players.
After all they are the hardest carrying and puffing in the whole orchestra.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2014 9:33:28

Ramon Amira

quote:

The "complete dud reviewer" happens to be a local professional guitarist (who also buy and sell flamenco guitars his whole adult life) and you two totally missed the point which is the capacity of this maker to send off duds

We all know that every guitar is individual, and the output of any luthier, even the greatest, will be variable to a degree. But that is only in a relative sense, not an absolute sense. So it's one thing to say that some particular luthier made some guitars that were better than some other of his guitars, and a different thing to say that this same luthier made a dud.

In forty years as a performer and dealer, I have played a lot of guitars, and never once played one made by an experienced luthier that I considered a dud. It is entirely inconceivale to me that any experienced luthier - and we have some fine ones right here on the foro - could ever construct a "dud." Perhaps very early in their careers, while they were still learning their art, but not now.

Francisco Navarro is a highly regarded luthier, one of vast experience. He wouldn't know how to construct a dud if he tried. Nor would any experienced luthier.

Here's a quote from Manuel Reyes in an interview:

"I don't make bad guitars."

Ramon

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2014 15:40:58

Tom Blackshear

quote:

Francisco Navarro is a highly regarded luthier, one of vast experience. He wouldn't know how to construct a dud if he tried. Nor would any experienced luthier.

Mexico builders didn't see the advantage of making a European motif and style until about twenty years ago. Even the Juan Pimentel guitars of Mexico city in the 50's and 60's were not of the same caliber as a student model Conde Hermanos.

They could make a nice piece of furniture but the tone was not up to par with the Europeans. But due to the influx of Chinese guitars coming into their country, something had to be done to recover their lost sales.

I did my best to try and help the Mexico builders switch to a European motif, with signing a green card for Lucio Nunez and hiring him to work with me until he got established with his own shop, which I was very happy to see that he accomplished it by himself.

And later on, when I donated a Reyes style guitar plan to the GAL, it was a little later that I met Francisco Navarro through two friends of mine, Elario Lozano and Ron Hudson, of Houston Texas, at the Summer NAMM show in Austin Texas.

The rest of this meeting wound up at my home in San Antonio, for me to host Francisco in my home for the week-end and to share some of my fine tuning techniques about the guitar plan.

It took Navarro a little while to lock in the flat top technique but he accomplished it and is now doing quite well with this model. I applaud both of these persons who took the bull by the horns and are now doing well with it. All they needed was to be introduced to a higher understanding of a model that sells well in the US and Europe.

Note: Lucio has developed a remarkable lattice braced guitar that has a lot of European flavor.

Also, Stephen Faulk and Anders are established guitarreros on this foro and deserve your continued patronage. They are tried and confirmed to be of the finest quality work and performance.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2014 16:42:47

NewPlayer

Prominent Critic,

Your personal insults towards mellowmell are really unnecessary. Stop acting like you are an authoritative figure on here, because you ARE NOT!

Perhaps your parents were 'duds' for not teaching you any manners.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2014 21:11:32

sig

I'm probably too late to this discussion but I've played the Navarro student model, not pegs, machines, it was owned by a friend and its a very good instrument. I also have had the chance to play an Ander's instrument and I personally own a Culpepper. While both my guitar and the Ander's we're "better" in my IMHO, the Navarro would be an excellent choice for someone new to flamenco or even a more advanced student. It was well made, had nice low action and a good flamenco growl and more importantly, it "felt" right.

For the money, I don't think you could do much better than a Navarro however if you had a chance to play it side by side with other factory models you might find you actually like one of those better. Of course this is all subjective to the player and their level of experience with flamenco guitars. I was in the same position as you when I started playing flamenco, I had a number of years under my belt playing guitar but had no clue as to what made a good or bad flamenco guitar. This was back in 2001 and frankly, my only option at that time for a decent starter instrument was a C3F Rodriguez which was really not all that good in hindsight. I was lucky in that I found a good teacher who knew flamenco guitars and pointed some things out so the next instrument I purchased was better. The point of my story is that the Navarro is plenty good for a beginner and will allow you to grow into your art if you stick with it. If not, everyone is looking for a good starter flamenco guitar and you get most of your investment back!
Sig--
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2014 21:59:41
Page:   [1] 2 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote