Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Beethoven listeners   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

runner

RE: Beethoven listeners (in reply to estebanana

Stephen's remembered impressions of Glenn Gould's place in the American musical consciousness are quite different from mine. The overwhelming impression that Glenn Gould made, as Stephen does hint at, was as a total weirdo, very probably a hopeless neurotic. There he was, with the scarf, the sweaters, the coats, his nose just about at the level of the keyboard on his way too low seat, practically drooling, jaw working as, trancelike, he "rode the music" (to quote the Airplane). Trustworthy? Just like them (other Americans/Canadians)? I think not.

Anyhow, I always found plenty of other pianists, North American, European, whatever; violinists, cellists, whatnot, in the music store racks, besides the very few that Stephen references. Names available upon request.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 16 2014 14:46:04

Miguel de Maria

I would think that anyone who studied CG would have at least have heard of Pedrell, no? I mean, we play Leyenda and Granados danzas so... The nationalistic music always drew me in, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Brahms' Hungarian dances.

I do not have the patience to listen to symphonies very much. However, I have found that Beethoven has a strangely cheering effect on me. I can put it on in the background and it always raises my mood. Even the 2nd movement of Eroica!

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 16 2014 14:47:05

estebanana

RE: Beethoven listeners (in reply to runner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bach:_The_Goldberg_Variations_(Glenn_Gould_recording)

The recordings of the Goldberg Variations sales were astounding for the time as classical music did not usually sell like that. If you knew about music were a searching deeper listener you could have known about many others, but in the popular mind the Goldberg Variations were one of those things you found next Bing Crosby's Christmas albums in peoples houses.

That was my point not that he was the only one, he had a place in popular opinion. My grandfather did not know in depth about classical music, but he could tell you who Toscanini, Heifitz, Authur Fiedler, Isaac Stern and Glenn Gould were.

Those were the classical music players in the popular mind; and then every time your cousin cried at a holiday dinner some adult would stand up and say "Oh my God I have to go shut up little Maria Callas over there at the kids' table." I never heard them say "Little Bidu Sayao is crying again."

So the question is, as Anders asked, then why always Gould?
( Not that PNJ's choice was wrong. )

Sorry to have started this. Perhaps iljust fade off again.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 16 2014 20:06:50

runner

Let's be accurate. Anders posted: "But why Glen (sic) Gould? Taste is personal....." Implication: a matter of personal taste; nothing more.

Stephen twice misquotes Anders as : "Why always Gould?" Implication: inevitability of the Zeitgeist, of the Media, of marketing. Not Anders' point at all, as expressed.

In the Villa-Lobos BB #5 anyway, it was either Bidu Sayao, or Victoria de los Angeles.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 16 2014 22:40:28

guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: runner

In the Villa-Lobos BB #5 anyway, it was either Bidu Sayao, or Victoria de los Angeles.

Reputation is a funny thing, mostly I ignore it now and trust my ears.

I will never forget the first time I heard Victoria de los Angeles singing Strauss' Four Last Songs, I can close my eyes and hear her. Simple simple clear and direct, perfection, I knew a woman was singing but all I thought about was how beautiful the tune was.

And I will never forget my confusion, disappointment and eventual disgust listening to Elisabeth Schwarzkopf singing the same set. And Schwarzkopf on the Deutsche Grammophon 'classics'. Every phrase distorted, subverted and undermined in some unmusical way but each phrase singing one thing clearly..... 'I'm a big famous opera singer'.

The recording I heard of Villa Lobos conducting the work for Cellos and Soprano was crazy confused, I guess we are all human.

For a right good laugh though you can't beat Yehudi Menuhin's four seasons.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 16 2014 23:12:35

estebanana

Runner you strike me as as Kathleen Battle listener in the Villa Lobos #5. Probably with classical guitar instead of celli too.

While I'm feeling snarky because it seems to be the way this is going: Guitarbuddha pointed out that Beethoven's sonata which was pointed out by PNJ did not sound like buleria. Hmm yeah it may not, but it could have that feel in a subtle way, which is what he was getting at.

So GB gives the example of a Chopin piece, I was strictly speaking of Beethoven, never mind that, but GB in his infinite wisdom cites a bolero as being more like a buleria.

It's like a Seinfeld episode:

HELL YES IT SOUNDS MORE LIKE BULERIA, YOU KNOW THE F*CK WHY? BECAUSE IT'S A BOLERO!

Don't need lecture me about missing the point, you guys miss them pretty well yourselves.

________

Ok I'm off to talk Tom & Ruphus my sworn arch enemies:) There I go at it again!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 16 2014 23:46:28

guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

but GB in his infinite wisdom cites a bolero as being more like a buleria.

No he didn't.

I would never give you a lecture on missing the point, you are a master.

Your use of the false opposition needs work however. It is just too transparent as runner just pointed out with relation to your previous false attributions to Anders.

Perhaps if you spent some time trying to understand what people were actually saying your replies would occasionally be cogent, your tone appropriate and your arguments honest.

Then your need to resort to rhetorical tools that most people leave behind in the playground would diminish and the earnest desire that many of us have to enjoy your presence would increase.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2014 0:10:02

estebanana

Yes dad, ok dad, I'll bring the car back sharp at 9:30 pm dad. Ok blah blah blah

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2014 1:14:28

estebanana

This is quite awesome, the cadenza beginning around 20:00 , makes me not hate the violin.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2014 1:53:24

runner

RE: Beethoven listeners (in reply to guitarbuddha

GB, you are so right to trust your ears and your taste. We all can tell, I think, when we sense that a musician really "gets" the piece he/she is performing. One of my very, very favorite piano concertos is Alan Hovhaness' Lousadzak, Concerto #1. There are only a tiny handful of recordings of this, and only the pianist Maro Ajemian gets the piece right, whereas the most recent recording, with Keith Jarrett, is hopeless; almost a trial to listen to. In my view, nobody ever did the Sibelius violin concerto like Heifetz; nobody did the Ravel Left Hand like Samson Francois; nobody did the Prokofiev 3rd like Van Cliburn. Some of this, maybe a lot of this, is just who we hear first doing a piece. But now and again we hear somebody else, and our eyes (ears) are opened........
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2014 13:30:07

Richard Jernigan

RE: Beethoven listeners (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

quote:

The last movement of the "Tempest" piano sonata no. 17 feels like bulerías to me, fast and in 6.

I agree that its a very nice sonata. But why Glen Gould? Taste is personal, and these sonatas can be played in many ways. here you have a very different version of the 3rd movement by one of my favorite Beethoven piano players, Wilhelm Kempff. He takes his time and builds up slowly with a lot of drama and beauty at the same time

Ah yes, Kempf. I have a few complete sets of the sonatas by big names, but it's Kempf I listen to most often.

I was around when Gould debuted. His reputation has improved since then.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 17 2014 20:19:23

Anders Eliasson

I have Wilhelm Kempff´s complete Bethoven sonatas as well and I really like his playing.

Its never forced. Beethoven is very often forced because of all these feelings of mankinds suffering and happiness. The caricature of Beethoven is a violent director directing an orchestra with arms, legs and especially hair . Everything at the same time.

Kempff makes Bethoven deep and spiritual.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2014 8:16:43

estebanana

Mien Kempf!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2014 12:36:29

runner

Somewhat off this direct topic (Beethoven), but related: I recommend Norman Lebrecht's book Who Killed Classical Music for some fascinating insights into how and why classical music is dying. Not all the reasons, mind you, but some. Two of his villains: Pavarotti and Von Karajan, (and sundry agents, promoters, etc.).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2014 12:48:32

Ruphus

quote:

Ok I'm off to talk Tom & Ruphus my sworn arch enemies:) There I go at it again!

You didn´t reply to my suggestion as to how to break your lower back properly.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2014 12:51:10

estebanana

The problem is with the lower trapezius between the scapula, my lower back is fine. It's upper back between the shoulders that is the trouble. I started doing an excersise called the 'Y'- you lift both arms over head, palms facing ears, and move arms back flexing the lower traps. It seems to help, but it's been about 5 weeks since I began and it could take several months to heal. If you have beethovenistic ideas about more therapies for that muscle set let me know. They are difficult to isolate.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2014 13:05:53

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: runner

Stephen's remembered impressions of Glenn Gould's place in the American musical consciousness are quite different from mine. The overwhelming impression that Glenn Gould made, as Stephen does hint at, was as a total weirdo, very probably a hopeless neurotic. There he was, with the scarf, the sweaters, the coats, his nose just about at the level of the keyboard on his way too low seat, practically drooling, jaw working as, trancelike, he "rode the music" (to quote the Airplane). Trustworthy? Just like them (other Americans/Canadians)? I think not.

Anyhow, I always found plenty of other pianists, North American, European, whatever; violinists, cellists, whatnot, in the music store racks, besides the very few that Stephen references. Names available upon request.

My impression of Gould is hearing the typical idiotic "he plays with good technique but no feeling..." yada yada f ing yada. I listened as a teen to his well tempered stuff, and well, he was one of few classical piano players with a groove going on. Many years later, I saw his weirdo 33 short films movie, and sure he was a weird nerd, but in a cool way it was ok. I am not a piano player so I defer to the better experienced with subtle nuances of interpretation, but he was freaking good.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2014 14:13:58

estebanana

My comparison to Bobby Fisher was poor, Fisher was a jerk, Gould was a nice engaging man. I've listened to many of his interviews. Fisher ended up being kind of like a Rush Limbaugh that played brilliant chess. Well when he was young he played brilliant. Gould never stopped being brilliant.

But compared to Dinu Lipati he clomped a bit. Not badly though. I have a lot of his recordings, I think the thing is was that he stripped out the floofy romantic bull from the music, Bach was not a romantic composer and he stated it that way.

------

Much ado about piano.....

Now here's what I's like to do, sit down with Beethoven A major cello sonata, #3 and hear Jackie Du Pre, Tortellier and Casals reading of it back to back. That's my next project think.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2014 14:29:36

Ruphus

quote:

The problem is with the lower trapezius between the scapula, my lower back is fine. It's upper back between the shoulders that is the trouble. I started doing an excersise called the 'Y'- you lift both arms over head, palms facing ears, and move arms back flexing the lower traps. It seems to help, but it's been about 5 weeks since I began and it could take several months to heal. If you have beethovenistic ideas about more therapies for that muscle set let me know. They are difficult to isolate.

It is important to have isometric tensioning, so that there will be efficiently provoked growth of new muscular cells.

Try what I have drawn as exercise 16 and 18. ( Alternating. One day ex. 16, next day 18, then again 16 etc.)
What you see is the starting position with in the pictures the left arm being stretched into position. Stretch to the limit by levering with the right arm. Then contract as if you wanted to return to idle position, however do not allow movement when contracting / relaxing. Contract intensely * 6 or better even 8 seconds. Then relax, again without any change of position ( not even in micro terms).
When relaxed again** you will find you can stretch some more before next contraction. Rinse, repeat. ( All while maintaining posture, naturally.)
Make 3 turns.
After third time watch out to let return to idle only gently / evenly, hence not abruptly!

You will feel apparatus targeted which you might have not sensed existing. Enjoy the new feeling and keep limbs and back relaxed for a little while before continuing with daily procedures.

Ruphus

PS: * Be cautious at the first times. Stretch far enough to where there is no power left to produce much force, yet during contraction staying within endurable range. On day ~ 3 or 4 of the individual exercise you will have found out where the personal limit is for challenging ( and acute somewhat hurting ) yet endurable contraction.

** Make sure to have really let go / no subtle resistance against the stretching, before stretching further. ( If you don´t one might be staying within potent muscular range, which is not what we want. We want to operate from the weak range / the outer limit of the muscles.) You will find to be operating in the weak range when your right arm has no big job with arresting the left one.

PS2:
A it can´t be seen that well, in drawing no. 18 the left arms ellbow is rested in right arms crook - and then levered to the left side.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 18 2014 15:29:14

Anders Eliasson

RE: Beethoven listeners (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

My impression of Gould is hearing the typical idiotic "he plays with good technique but no feeling..." yada yada f ing yada. I listened as a teen to his well tempered stuff, and well, he was one of few classical piano players with a groove going on. Many years later, I saw his weirdo 33 short films movie, and sure he was a weird nerd, but in a cool way it was ok. I am not a piano player so I defer to the better experienced with subtle nuances of interpretation, but he was freaking good.

Ricardo

You can find this sort of arguments in all music styles. They will always be there. I have nothing against Gould. He was a fabulous player with a personal style. Its just not what rocks my soul. Listen to the 3rd movement of the Tempest sonata that PJN posted and then to the Kempff that I posted... Same score, but so extremely different way of playing and feeling it. But in the end its just a matter of taste and my taste is not any better than PJN´s.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2014 8:31:53

edguerin

I agree, as fantastic Gould is with Bach, Kempff ist definitely more to may taste with Beethoven

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 19 2014 16:28:46

Ruphus

STEPHEN!!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2014 1:29:28

estebanana

Were you calling me?

Sorry I was working all day, no wi fi at the shop.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2014 12:27:04

Ruphus

Yep.
Have you seen the isometrical muscle prolongation exercises for your back?

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2014 14:56:22

pjn

Let me clarify that I didn't "choose" the Gould version for any other reason than it was the first one that popped up on Youtube at a tempo appropriate for the the thread -- which was about flamenco feel in classical music, not about our favorite Beethoven interpreters.

But naturally a couple of you had to immediately change the subject so you could start the usual pissing contest --

OK man, let's piss -- I have studied classical music for 55 years, have a Master's degree, have taught at the college level, am a published music book author and composer. I probably have played with more classical musicians than most of you -- I don't think there are too many famous pianists you could spring on me, and the Music Appreciation 101 tidbits don't impress me that much.

As for Glenn Gould, since you brought him up -- he wasn't that much crazier than many musicians of his stature, just a hell of a lot more interesting and well rounded. He was an incredibly prolific essayist and music journalist, created many documentaries of all sorts for Canadian television, recorded the music of every period from Bach up to Schoenberg's guys (yes, in his own inimitable, which means unique, sometimes goofy, way). Never played it safe; never gave the people easy pleasure for money (what's the name of that profession again?); never compromised himself; gave up live concertizing because he would have had to do these things.

When we belittle artists whose excrement we're not worthy of sniffing it's insulting and we don't come off too well.

Maybe I should post again and say how I really feel about it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2014 2:49:21

Richard Jernigan

RE: Beethoven listeners (in reply to pjn

One sidelight on the Gould business, from the Wikipedia article on Rosalyn Tureck:

"In a CBC radio special on Glenn Gould,[8][9] the host told Tureck that Gould cited her as his "only" influence. She responded by saying she knew that she was an influence and that it was very kind of him to say so."

I heard Tureck in person well before I heard Gould on recording, so Gould didn't seem all that revolutionary to me. Gould was much better known, for a variety of good reasons, but not all knowledgeable writers preferred him to Tureck. For those unfamiliar with it, Gramophone is unusual among magazines of reviews, in that it requires its reviewers actually to have a musical education--no implication that anyone here is lacking one:

"Gramophone, January 1999

Famous and unknown, the pianist eclipsed by Glenn Gould - Alain Lompech

Rosalyn Tureck is no unknown discovered by a record company. This artist is one of the most accomplished musicians of this century. She has never ceased to play, be heard, admired, discussed, and copied, even, without ever occupying the forefront of the stage. She says so herself, if it hadn't been for a small American publisher, her performances would be out of reach today. In other times, however, Tureck recorded occasionally for several major firms, but her misfortune, our misfortune, rather, went by the name of Glenn Gould. The Canadian's playing was undoubtedly derived from that of his lady colleague, but in the consciousness of music lovers everywhere, it will have left him only a folding seat.

The great commercial advantage in Gould's Bach technique resides in its unequivocal, simplistic character. That clear piano, that clarified, voluble polyphony was ideally ready-to-listen-to in the post-war years. So they made Gould the Bach performer par excellence. This abuse of a dominant position should be challenged: Gould only offers one of the oppositions in performance, for he has chosen to play descriptively, systematically, using a power of seduction that has put more than one listener to sleep.

Rosalyn Tureck is no less voluntarist in her playing, but her more complex, less cellophaned performance, less easily accessible, too, give an image of Bach that is at once archaic, timeless, and sensitive without being expressionistic, analytical without being motorique. Owing nothing to the harpsichord, and taking advantage of all the possibilities offered by the piano - an instrument that is reinvented each time by the person touching it - Rosalyn Tureck is an artist without being an egocentric. Her great quality is to impose a perception of musical time that is incredibly different from one individual to another, by succeeding in recreating Bach's music in all its complexity. The contemplative will delight in the sumptuous sound of her performances, the keenest ears will excitedly follow the path taken by the Kantor's scholarly contrapuntal constructions and lovers of the piano will get drunk on the infinite variety of attacks and colours in such a venerable technique."

And here's the scoop on Lompech:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Lompech

But as always chacun à son goût.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2014 4:02:52

estebanana

Interesting posts PNJ and Jernigan-

I'm going to restate the original questions now, not because I did not like the posts, but I feel we spun off in a direction I was not aiming for. Now that is fine, but I think it really go toff target, I like wandering threads, but lets wander a little more closely.

My foremost question is we take Beethoven for granted? I asked that because I really want to know peoples opinions. Some said: Oh I don't listen to him much anymore, but that was not what I was getting at.

My question has to do with the nature of how we grow and move on to new types of music, and then revisit music later in life. For me I've found that I did not even listen to everything Beethoven wrote, but had not paid much attention to Beethoven for many years.

Original questions:

Do we take Beethoven for granted? How many Beethoven's have there been?

I've always specialized in listening to a few of Beethoven's works, when I say a few I mean about maybe 20 or 25. There is so much more and I have been taking some in.

What is your favorite Beethoven and what do you want to listen to next? Which Beethoven feels most flamenco to you? If you know what I mean, not literally, but in spirit.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2014 4:45:45

guitarbuddha

RE: Beethoven listeners (in reply to pjn

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjn

OK man, let's piss --

Who said there was a pissing competition ?
Why do you choose to believe that person ?
Why do you then piss on command ?

What's your position on Petula Clark ?

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2014 7:05:24

z6

RE: Beethoven listeners (in reply to guitarbuddha

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjn

What's your position on Petula Clark ?

D.

Downtown is a terrific song.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2014 7:49:54

Ruphus

Stephen,

I have taken efforts to post on how you can help yourself with your back.
Are you now ignoring intensionally as a thank you, or what is it?

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2014 8:36:10
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote