Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

New Guitar problem   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

lucaspada894

New Guitar problem 

I bought a J Marcario flamenco 75FN Negra model, and it has a spectacular sound...at the first frets. The higher up the neck I go, the more out of tune it is, it goes lower in tune the higher up the frets, I removed the shim the guitar came with and replaced the strings and it helped a bit, but the problem is still there, but now that I removed the shim, there is a really ugly buzz on the e string first fret, should I return this guitar?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2014 19:32:24

Ramon Amira

RE: New Guitar problem (in reply to lucaspada894

Yes.

Ramon

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2014 20:42:16

Leñador

Yeah, that sounds like the frets are in the wrong place, if that's the case. YIKES! Return that thing.............I'm sorry that you have to go through that.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2014 20:55:26

El Kiko

try checking the notes with the harmonics, especially higher up ....

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 <----Fret #'s
e|-x-|-x-|-x-|G#-|-E-|-x-|-B-|-x-|G#-|-x-|-x-|-E-|
B|-x-|-x-|-x-|D#-|-B-|-x-|F#-|-x-|D#-|-x-|-x-|-B-|
G|-x-|-x-|-x-|-B-|-G-|-x-|-D-|-x-|-B-|-x-|-x-|-G-|
D|-x-|-%-|-%-|F#-|-D-|-x-|-A-|-x-|F#-|-x-|-x-|-D-|
A|-x-|-%-|-%-|C#-|-A-|-x-|-E-|-x-|C#-|-x-|-x-|-A-|
E|-x-|-%-|-%-|G#-|-E-|-x-|-B-|-x-|G#-|-x-|-x-|-E-|

13 14 15 16 17 18 19
e|-x-|-x-|-x-|G#-|-x-|-x-|-B-|
B|-x-|-x-|-x-|D#-|-x-|-x-|F#-|
G|-x-|-x-|-x-|-B-|-%-|-x-|-D-|
D|-x-|-%-|-%-|F#-|-%-|-x-|-A-|
A|-x-|-%-|-%-|C#-|-%-|-x-|-E-|
E|-x-|-%-|-%-|G#-|-%-|-x-|-B-|

edit ...I cant get the fret numbers too line up on my little diagram . but you know how it goes.i hope

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2014 21:14:22

jshelton5040

RE: New Guitar problem (in reply to Leñador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lenador

Yeah, that sounds like the frets are in the wrong place, if that's the case.

More likely the bridge.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2014 22:59:13

Leñador

quote:

More likely the bridge.

Really? That would make it go out of tune as you go up the frets??

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2014 23:05:30

BarkellWH

Frets or bridge, it does not matter. You should not accept a defective guitar. Take it back and exchange it for a guitar that produces the correct sound when played or get your money back. You should not have to pay for a guitar that will cost even more to correct the defect.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 21 2014 23:11:24

estebanana

Compensation is off to be technical. Yeah take it back right away and get another one made right.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2014 0:42:18

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: lucaspada894

I bought a J Marcario flamenco 75FN Negra model, and it has a spectacular sound...at the first frets. The higher up the neck I go, the more out of tune it is, it goes lower in tune the higher up the frets, I removed the shim the guitar came with and replaced the strings and it helped a bit, but the problem is still there, but now that I removed the shim, there is a really ugly buzz on the e string first fret, should I return this guitar?

Hold the horses...first change the entire set of strings, perhaps even a different brand to be sure. It is rare that guitars are sent off with intonation THAT off. But strings can often be untrue, even new sets. And make sure that you are not, due to high action, pushing the string too hard down. Vibrato is a technique where you simply push or pull a string to change it's pitch, and is a technique to master like all the others so one is not out of tune, ESPECIALLY in the higher frets. It's why I recommend students to tune the guitar to open strings only and not fretted chords.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2014 6:58:06

Anders Eliasson

quote:

I removed the shim the guitar came with and replaced the strings and it helped a bit, but the problem is still there, but now that I removed the shim, there is a really ugly buzz on the e string first fret,

The guy has already changed the strings.
I´m very curious about this shim thing. What is it?
You could take a meassurement of the distance between the nut and the center of 12th fret and another one from center 12th fret to front of saddle and post it here.

If you need to return within a certain amount of time, then do it.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2014 18:00:15

Ricardo

RE: New Guitar problem (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

quote:

I removed the shim the guitar came with and replaced the strings and it helped a bit, but the problem is still there, but now that I removed the shim, there is a really ugly buzz on the e string first fret,

The guy has already changed the strings.
I´m very curious about this shim thing. What is it?
You could take a meassurement of the distance between the nut and the center of 12th fret and another one from center 12th fret to front of saddle and post it here.

If you need to return within a certain amount of time, then do it.

different brand?

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2014 20:08:08

PeterLC

Sounds like a monday-morning guitar. I'd get it back ASAP instead of trying desperately to fix unfixable issues. I do feel sorry for the whole experience! Guitarmakers are only people, after all, I'm afraid.

4 guitars, the one that matters here: Prudencio Saez mod. 22, blanca - sounding better every day
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 22 2014 21:03:29

Ricardo

I honestly can't understand why people hate guitars so much. All they need is love.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2014 7:00:48

Stephen Eden

Sounds like the compensation is off. In this case it sounds like the guitar has too much of it! If it's getting flatter as you go up the frets the saddle needs to be moved forward which is not an easy task. If it's getting sharper as you go up you can compensate the top of the saddle to the string break is further back. It could be the case that this has happened already or the saddle is seated the wrong way around!

In any case you should not be left to deal with this issue and should just send it back!

Classical and Flamenco Guitars www.EdenGuitars.co.uk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2014 10:15:03

Morante

RE: New Guitar problem (in reply to Stephen Eden

Pity it´s not a Strat

The guitar I ordered from Reyes Hijo had the same problem: in this case no compensation at the bridge. Reyes Padre came out and said he made all his guitars that way and none of the great guitarists had complained . I returned it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2014 15:16:50

Anders Eliasson

RE: New Guitar problem (in reply to Morante

quote:

The guitar I ordered from Reyes Hijo had the same problem: in this case no compensation at the bridge. Reyes Padre came out and said he made all his guitars that way and none of the great guitarists had complained

uhhh. Dangerous post... Do I then have to build without compensation if I make a copy of a Reyes???? Dont answer, it was just a copycat joke.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 23 2014 16:31:06

mark indigo

RE: New Guitar problem (in reply to Stephen Eden

quote:

Sounds like the compensation is off. In this case it sounds like the guitar has too much of it! If it's getting flatter as you go up the frets the saddle needs to be moved forward which is not an easy task.

I had a guitar with exactly this problem.
I took it back to the shop and they got a luthier to reset the saddle.
They told me it was a case of "classical compensation on a flamenco guitar" which I think meant that the bridge has to be put further back on a classical to "compensate" for the higher action.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2014 9:13:21

keith

at e-bay there is a marcario guitar, same model although it is a classical, that the seller reports having work done on the bridge due to a flaw in the construction and/or design. these guitars are factory guitars so it could be possible the 75 classical and the 75 flamenco are the same design but with minor differences if at that. it is also possible the factory had some issues with the bridge and/or placement of the bridge with the 75 flamenco. personally i would return it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2014 11:46:17

Anders Eliasson

quote:

They told me it was a case of "classical compensation on a flamenco guitar" which I think meant that the bridge has to be put further back on a classical to "compensate" for the higher action.

You can always find hundreds of explanations on questions like this. IMHO, if there has to be a difference in the saddle compensation on a flamenco and a classical, then the saddle should be put further forward on a classical, because the distance between the 12th fret and the saddle is slightly longer because of the higher setup.

In 99,9% of the cases like this, its an error in construction, being this factory or Sr. Reyes Hijo.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2014 12:48:37

mark indigo

quote:

IMHO, if there has to be a difference in the saddle compensation on a flamenco and a classical, then the saddle should be put further forward on a classical, because the distance between the 12th fret and the saddle is slightly longer because of the higher setup.
no doubt you're right and I got it the wrong way round. Forward, back, I don't remember, either way point is it was wrong and I took it back.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2014 13:38:38

jshelton5040

RE: New Guitar problem (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark indigo

quote:

IMHO, if there has to be a difference in the saddle compensation on a flamenco and a classical, then the saddle should be put further forward on a classical, because the distance between the 12th fret and the saddle is slightly longer because of the higher setup.
no doubt you're right and I got it the wrong way round. Forward, back, I don't remember, either way point is it was wrong and I took it back.

We allow 1.5mm more distance from the 12th to the saddle on a classic than on a flamenco.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2014 14:25:03

Anders Eliasson

quote:

We allow 1.5mm more distance from the 12th to the saddle on a classic than on a flamenco.

It doesnt make sense to me. So please explain why.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2014 15:49:00

jshelton5040

quote:

It doesnt make sense to me. So please explain why.

We've found that to be the optimal distance to make the guitar play in tune. We use a compensated fingerboard which may explain the difference between your measurement and ours. Our flamencos are compensated 1.5mm and the classics are 3mm.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2014 16:17:32

Anders Eliasson

If talking about "normal" fingerboards, I can accept if someone tells me that a higher setup needs more compensation than a lower one because pressing the strings further down means you actually pitch them a bit up, but a higher setup also means a very small amount of longer distance between the nut and the saddle and especially the 12th fret and the saddle, which ends up levelling out things more or less.
Just like you, I compensate 1,5mm on a flamenco and the same on a classical with an identical fretboard

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2014 16:53:46

Ricardo

quote:

If talking about "normal" fingerboards, I can accept if someone tells me that a higher setup needs more compensation than a lower one because pressing the strings further down means you actually pitch them a bit up, but a higher setup also means a very small amount of longer distance between the nut and the saddle and especially the 12th fret and the saddle, which ends up levelling out things more or less.
Just like you, I compensate 1,5mm on a flamenco and the same on a classical with an identical fretboard

I really don't understand this compensation thing at all. It seems totally arbitrary when you consider a technique as basic as vibrato. Players need to learn to play in tune, simple as that. Up high, down low, high action, low action, it all depends and makes huge difference before you go slapping your fingers on the fretboard, applying un even pressures with non machine like fingers. Then there is the fret height and finally string imperfections which is a huge factor. I can't see how a compensated bridge is doing a darn thing in the midst of all those playing variables. In that sense I am with mr. Reyes, but I guess I would really need to get a good sampling of guitars compensated and not, to focus a comparison.

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2014 17:20:06

Anders Eliasson

Ricardo, how many guitars without saddle compensation have you played? Fortunately I have only played 2 and the problems were absolutely serious and none of the things you descripe would be able to change that.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2014 18:09:58

jshelton5040

quote:

Your analysis seems rational to me however the numbers we use are the result of quite a bit of experimentation and unfortunately building a guitar that was out of tune when we first started using the compensated fingerboard. I still have that guitar and plan to replace the bridge one day when I feel like doing a complete refinish on the top. Naturally we can't sell it as it is.

We moved to the compensated fingerboard because I always felt that there was a little too much inharmonicity in guitar fingerboards particularly when played up the neck. Playing 3rds, 5ths and 7ths while moving up the fingerboard always seemed to reveal too much "out of tuneness" for my taste. The compensated fingerboard spreads the "out of tuneness" over more of the fingerboard and makes playing in the higher positions much more satisfying. It's much more important in classic guitars than in flamencos because of the higher action. A few years ago I posted a picture of a matched set of classics that we built. If I recall correctly these were the first classics we built with the compensation and the clients who purchased them have complimented us repeated about how beautifully in tune the guitars are. Of course when playing duets with one player high on the fingerboard and the other low the natural "out of tuneness" of guitars is amplified but with the compensation it is somewhat ameliorated and I can attest after hearing duets on those two guitars that the effect is very pleasing to the ear.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2014 18:18:24

Ricardo

quote:

Ricardo, how many guitars without saddle compensation have you played? Fortunately I have only played 2 and the problems were absolutely serious and none of the things you descripe would be able to change that.

Well, I have no clue. That's why I am confused on the issue. Can someone give me a list of makers that do and don't? I have played several Reyes and Reyes hijo (the only I know of for sure that, according to the interview of reyes, are not ever compensated) with none of these issues that I noticed. If it be the case all other makes I have ever played were compensated, then I can only say it's about the strings more, or neck warping issues. Simple fact is high action guitars are harder to intonate than low action guitars. But perhaps I am missing something here and the compensation thing is way more important than I imagined. I would simply need to compare.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2014 0:03:30

keith

RE: New Guitar problem (in reply to Ricardo

i think it should be easy to figure out the compensation. would the compensation be the string length minus the scale length?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2014 0:56:16

estebanana

RE: New Guitar problem (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

I really don't understand this compensation thing at all. It seems totally arbitrary when you consider a technique as basic as vibrato. Players need to learn to play in tune, simple as that. Up high, down low, high action, low action, it all depends and makes huge difference before you go slapping your fingers on the fretboard, applying un even pressures with non machine like fingers. Then there is the fret height and finally string imperfections which is a huge factor. I can't see how a compensated bridge is doing a darn thing in the midst of all those playing variables. In that sense I am with mr. Reyes, but I guess I would really need to get a good sampling of guitars compensated and not, to focus a comparison.

If the string length was not compensated to fit the scale length you would hear it loud and clear as out of tune. It is a separate issue from player malfunction. You could not play in tune without a compensated scale.

There a few things at play in compensation which makes it less a science and more a trial & error problem - The diameter of the core of each string vs. how flexible it makes the over wound string is one factor. The diameter of a non over wound string and it's flexibility is another. The other factor is that pressing the string down does shorten it a bit. So the two combined factors that shorten a stopped string are: pressing it down and stiffening at the stop point.

Let's look at the part where the string stiffens at the stop point:

A string like the nylon treble G tends to play sharp, the reason is that it is a fat string in relation to how flexible it is. When you press it to a fret and stop it, the string does not actually stop at that fret because it's thickness creates a small length of string after the fret that becomes stiffer due to contact with the fret. There is a very, very small length of string that becomes like a little pipe due to contact tension with the fret and to compensate for that after length that tightens up and becomes harder the string length needs to be lengthened. The little stiff pipe section of string shortens the string length.

That is why G strings on Nylon string guitars often have longer compensation that the other strings. You can sometimes see wide saddles with a notch letting the G string ride farther back towards the tie block. All the strings do that physical hardening where they contact being stopped, and at the nut also, but the G string is biggest in diameter and sometimes requires a bit more compensation due to it's tendency to create a stiffer after length at the stop point.

Ok, do you get what I mean? I wish I knew the actual terms in scientific language for that phenomenon of stiffening at the stop point, perhaps Richard Jernigan knows the words?

If you got that far then there's more to compensation; and it is different in how one applies it for nylon strung guitars and steel strung guitars. The same principles apply, but because steel strings have different core to winding ratios than overwound nylon strings they flex at the stopping point in a way that nylon strings don't so they are compensated in a different order.

In general on both nylon and steel strung guitars the thickest overwound basses get more compensation. Theoretically nylon strings should get more bass compensation, but they seem to play in tune if all strings are compensated equally, with the occasional G string that needs a bit more. Steel strings need more bass compensation for the E and A, but the D with its small core can ride more toward the nut. Look at the long slant of a steel string saddle and you will see more bass compensation.

Ok so this is why, in some cases, changing the gauge of strings sets effects tuning. If the guitar plays sharp and you change the set to a smaller gauge core with a smaller G the guitar might play less sharp. The reason is because the smaller core in the overwound strings changed the amount of stiffness where the string is stopped.

So now you ask why does this matter? If you have not seen the problem yet, here it is, I'll say it again: When the string gets stiffer at the stopping point, it changes the vibrating length of the string relative to the scale. The compensation is to lengthen the string so when it is stopped, the length and scale length are more correct.

That is compensation in a nutshell. It's much more complex to try to figure it out so we generalize by making the saddle set back a few mm depending on how long the scale is and how high the action will be. A shorter scale like 650mm gets slightly less compensation than 660mm.

Some guitar makers have worked out compensated nuts where you go after the problem of the G string from both ends by setting G longer and the other strings at various lengths at the nut- in addition to saddle set back. Even the most analytical guitar makers will tell you that the system is not perfect.

I hope that was not confusing and spelled out some of the reasons why flamenco guitar saddles are compensated.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2014 1:23:24
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote