Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

volume of a guitar   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

tele

volume of a guitar 

I was surprised that good quality flamenco cypress guitars can vary alot in amount of volume. What can a luthier do to increase the amount of volume that comes out of the guitar? Or is volume just a product of years of experience in building and can't be affected by altering the plans of a guitar?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2014 16:14:59

beno

RE: volume of a guitar (in reply to tele

good question! I'm also interested in reading the response of some luthier here.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2014 16:30:29

etta

I have several Glenn Canin guitars; each one is different in tone according to the woods used, but all are very LOUD, responsive and very percussive. I had two of them ported which made them even louder. He explains generally on his website some of the techniques he uses. I have owned lots of fine guitars, but none compare in responsiveness and volume to the Canins. Interestingly, his number 13 is just as loud as his number 79.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2014 16:36:26

Sr. Martins

The only thing in common between guitars is the type of woods used. They can even come from the same trees but the wood won't be the same. Add to that all the variables that can happen during manufature.

I've played many identical guitars and they all sounded different. I remember playing 4 cedar top/walnut B&S guitars that were classicals but sounded bright enough for flamenco... one of them sounded so dark that even for classical playing it would be very uninspiring.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2014 16:54:38

C. Vega

Deleted
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2014 17:15:30

Erik van Goch

Not really an answer as far as guitar constructing is involved but technique and action does play a role in the volume you can reach. Paco Peña has pretty high volumes compared to many others because he has an excellent technique that is especially designed to play the guitar without amplification. On top he plays with pretty high action which increases the amount of energy the guitar can handle without negatively effecting the sound.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2014 17:21:26

pink

I've always been of the opinion that there are a number of elements which can contribute to the volume of a guitar.....the way the woods are married/matched is a major significance not just the design or pattern which is employed. There are other elements too I think....the right strings, the correct bridge and saddle,top nut and the right height for an individuals required playability but also for the instrument itself.... go too low ,especially with woods that don't'' talk'' to each other and you lose tone,you lose volume you lose the character .Also the use of bone as opposed I guess, plastics ,with saddles ,top nuts etc can be a huge factor.
I'm no expert but I know what I like and what I want to hear.....there is the element of the issue being subjective too I guess .
Bottom line for what I've found though is that if you go too low with bridge saddle height,top nut ,string gauge etc then you can overly compromise volume and tone which can ultimately have a knock on effect with how you play and develop as a guitarist.

Best

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2014 20:21:26

gerundino63

Loudness of the guitar is very difficult to measure and to compare with eachother.
There is loudness for the player, is it loud too for the audiance? Not nessesary.
Also how is the loudness in 50 meters distance?
The sound of a loud guitar for the player is not nessesery louder than a not so loud guitar at let say 50 meter distance.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2014 21:26:30

estebanana

Loudness does not mean anything. Want volume, go get an amplifier.

Thin tops make loud gutiars, but they often lack real projection and voice, the trick is to have a projecting guitar with a voice. Most guitarists are not in a position to really understand that because they don't play in large halls full of bodies ( hopefully ones they did not kill with a loud guitar)

To understand what projection and loudness mean together don't ask a luthier, get several guitars together and several friends with good ears who play well and go to an auditorium. put all the guitars on stage an take turns playing them to each other. Listen for the ones with a core voice that projects in the most frequency ranges.

Anyone can say oh this guitar is louder than that guitar, but that actually means nothing, it may in fact be louder, but in also may sound like crap in a room or a big hall. The thing with flamenco guitars is that it does not matter how _loud_ they are in a performance situation on stage they will almost always be amplified, it matters how they play and what the voice sounds like.

Sure everyone wants a guitar with a big sound, but until you go do a big auditorium audition of many guitars with several people you don't get a clear picture of the difference between projection and mere loudness. Take the time to go do the listening, then ask the question of yourself. Play the guitar on stage and get your bearings on the sound level. Then listen back to that guitar being played by others. Keep notes if you have to. Then you will understand what loudness means in relation to voice and projection.

Classical guitarists are the ones who characteristically don't use the mic on stage, the projection vs. loudness issue applies more to classical guitars. And the thing is a guitar that you don't think has volume under your ear as a player might hit the back wall of the auditorium, while a guitar you perceive as LOUD might poop out after ten feet.

Here's a hint:
Go to a construction site and see if anyone is still using a hammer. ( instead of a nail gun) Listen to the blows of the hammer setting a big nail. From close range you feel the impact of the hammer and the fundamental smash of wood and the low frequency waves that those hammer hits create.

That is your LOUD guitar.

Move down the block and feel how the perception changes. You'll get less hammer blow smashing loudness and more projection of the voice of the hammer, the wood and the nail. If you get farther out you will only hear the pure voice of the hammer and nail and probably the higher partials, the overtones of the nail and hammer hitting each other.

That is the guitar that projects and hits that back wall.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 5 2014 23:31:51

el carbonero

Loud guitar for classical are the lattice .

Much concertista use this guitar now.

For flamenco, generally the granada guitar are to play in the bedroom .
For tablao the pros use madrid guitar (conde,pedro de miguel...)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 6 2014 9:21:22

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: tele

I was surprised that good quality flamenco cypress guitars can vary alot in amount of volume. What can a luthier do to increase the amount of volume that comes out of the guitar? Or is volume just a product of years of experience in building and can't be affected by altering the plans of a guitar?

In my opinion, the perceived volume difference have everything to do with the eq of the guitar. More bassy guitars appear to be much louder. The bassier the louder they seem. The more mid range guitars appear more quiet....but also more balanced. The best sounding and responding guitars have always have a more balanced voice and overall better sound in my experience. It's to the point now that when I hear someone boast about a guitar's "volume" I already don't like it and assume it to be bass heavy. WHich it almost always is.

To go further on what Estebanana was saying, I find the guitars with a more focused and less bassy voice you can drive harder and they respond better, especially if the action is not too low and buzzy, such that you feel a greater dynamic range. IN a dance class for example, the loud bassy guitars make some noise but at certain point they bottom out or even just sound bad if you play as hard as you can. But a more focused mid rangy guitar that can hardly be heard with soft playing suddenly cuts through the noise and the harder you play the better it sounds. It is not something as noticeable in the bedroom, but at the same time it's not fun to deal with in noisy dance studios if people are a little off time or whatever.

Sound system is a game changer of course. But here is something else. The "loud" guitars tend also to have more overtone issues. In addition to having to cut extra bass you find these annoying notes popping up from overtone harmonics. After notching em out you discover a totally different "anemic" sounding guitar than the pure acoustic version. But those quieter dry mid rangy guitars you only have to close mic em roll off some bass and they sound great with no other eq needed.

Riconde....I mean Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 6 2014 13:12:09

el carbonero

Bien hablado hermano riconde
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 6 2014 14:18:29

Anders Eliasson

RE: volume of a guitar (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

I find the guitars with a more focused and less bassy voice you can drive harder and they respond better, especially if the action is not too low and buzzy, such that you feel a greater dynamic range.

I agree.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 6 2014 15:35:10

Tom Blackshear

RE: volume of a guitar (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Loudness does not mean anything. Want volume, go get an amplifier.

You have said it all and it would be hard to add anything of real worth to your post. I have found that a strong middle register carries well in a concert hall, and like Ricardo said, it carries better than a bass styled instrument.

Tone is the real necessity, as voicing is what carries. Thin tops are louder, as you said, and I have found that the solid style lining of the Miguel Rodriguez installed on the Reyes style does promote better volume. It seems to help keep most of the voice in the top rather than having the sides absorb some of the sound.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 6 2014 16:51:46

Ruphus

Lots of remarkable observations and interesting bits like the point about lining, which sounds plausible to my imagination.

I think this thread to be very useful; especially for beginners who like to learn about guitar performance / characteristics.
-

Personally, similar to audio matters, as beginner I used to be impressed by guitars loudness, - which should not surprise when you mainly come from entry level instruments, which usually bear the problem of being muffled.

Now it is that highly responsive guitars tend to bring in volume in the same time, however me focussing on sound quality / not giving much about loudness / sometimes even prefering if it be softer.

Besides, I must be the only one in the foro who likes strong basses. However, only crisp and highly defined ones that won´t mud and may shake your diaphragm, like that one certain guitar that hunts me through the ages and of which I don´t know whether it was a Hermanos C., or a Hernandez or what ever it was.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 6 2014 17:25:50

Tom Blackshear

RE: volume of a guitar (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

Besides, I must be the only one in the foro who likes strong basses. However, only crisp and highly defined ones that won´t mud and may shake your diaphragm,

I agree that strong bass' should be firm and luminous without an overwhelming boom to them, and this helps the characteristics of sound that carries its full range.

But I have found that mid range tonal qualities carry very well with added articulation and top timber to where the harder the playing technique the louder the sound.

However, this has to be joined with proper frequency, more like a human vowel tone, rather than just string noise.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 6 2014 18:26:27

Richard Jernigan

RE: volume of a guitar (in reply to Ricardo

Different strokes for different folks.

My favorite flamenco is the loudest (for the player) flamenco I have ever played. It is percussive and brilliant, but has a solid tone, ringing but not excessive basses. Arcangel Fernandez, the builder was a pro flamenco player before he became a guitar maker, but it was pretty much in the pre-amplification days of the Madrid tablaos. I don't know how it sounds in a big hall. When I had Richard Brune appraise it, he commented on how thin the top was. He also said he had played it a few hours, and "I really like this guitar."

The classical I play most, by the world class Mexican Abel Garcia, is also loud to the player, very brilliant in the treble, as well as strong in the basses. I like the tonal variety you can get out of it. I haven't played it in a really big room. My Contreras Sr. doble tapa is also loud, lots of treble and bass, strong in the upper midrange. The tone seems a little cold to me, compared to the Garcia, but it projects well in a big room.

My '73 Romanillos has a thick top. It takes a little more force to get it going. When I pick it up after the Garcia, I am sometimes a little disappointed, but that goes away after ten or fifteen minutes, as I settle back into the appropriate right hand technique. It is missing the very highest overtone frequencies of the Garcia, but nail noise simply disappears. When I had it less than a year, I thought the 3rd string was a little weak. After I moved for six months to a condo in Honolulu with a glass wall in the 18-foot living/dining room, I was astonished at the sound that came back at me from the wall, and the 3rd string was perfectly balanced with the rest.

The Romanillos has the plantilla and bracing pattern of a 1950 Hauser, but to me it has that distinctive Romanillos tone. It projects like a bandit, though it isn't any louder to the player than the Garcia or the Contreras. Maybe that's why Bream didn't buy his famous '73 Romanillos until John Williams told him how he sounded on it.

After I have played the Romanillos for a few days, I sound better on both the Garcia and the Contreras than I did before. The Arcangel just blows me away.

But for a different player, with different technique and different requirements, it might stack up completely differently.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2014 2:43:26

johnguitar

RE: volume of a guitar (in reply to el carbonero

el carbonero: Might a hundred granada guitar-makers trample your bedroom (and your guitar)!

John Ray
https://www.johnguitar.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2014 6:48:24

el carbonero

" Might a hundred granada guitar-makers trample your bedroom (and your guitar)! "

i tried 2 carmona,2 pepe bellido,1 manuel bellido,1 ferrer padre,1 duran ferrer ,1 marin
in the same room class of baile.
This luthier are the top of granada .

I can guarantee the pedro de miguel and various conde are much much better in volume .

It's a fact.

The problem with the granada guitars,is with the foot dance ,it's became a porridge of sound .
The conde have sound much clear so ,we can ear the notes clearly with 20 student zapateados without amplification.

Sorry i cant explain exaclty my opinion because ,i speak english so bad.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2014 12:13:00

tri7/5

quote:

ORIGINAL: el carbonero

" Might a hundred granada guitar-makers trample your bedroom (and your guitar)! "

i tried 2 carmona,2 pepe bellido,1 manuel bellido,1 ferrer padre,1 duran ferrer ,1 marin
in the same room class of baile.
This luthier are the top of granada .

I can guarantee the pedro de miguel and various conde are much much better in volume .

It's a fact.

The problem with the granada guitars,is with the foot dance ,it's became a porridge of sound .
The conde have sound much clear so ,we can ear the notes clearly with 20 student zapateados without amplification.

Sorry i cant explain exaclty my opinion because ,i speak english so bad.

Just wait till you get to play an Aaron Green guitar, your opinion will change on Granada style builds.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2014 12:31:35

Anders Eliasson

quote:

It's a fact.

zzzzzzzzzz

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2014 12:40:35

el carbonero

RE: volume of a guitar (in reply to tri7/5

I dont want to play aaron green .
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2014 12:52:24

Tom Blackshear

quote:

I dont want to play aaron green .

That's not the point as Aaron has plenty of clients to buy his guitars. And I hope the Granada builders will be the same.

I played a Marin guitar a few weeks ago and it is patterned after the Robert Bouchet, French builder, and it was very good but lacked volume and strength compared to my guitars. But this does not mean he builds an inferior instrument....quite the contrary, he builds very nice guitars.

I appreciate this list and the information on it but I would prefer this not turn into a conversation about who builds the best guitar.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2014 13:46:00

Tom Blackshear

quote:

I bought a first class Pedro de Miguel a few years ago and it almost had no voice the top was so thick. The truth was that it sounded like rubber bands stretched across a cardboard box.

The top was 2.6 MM thick with high fan braces and the frets grew out from the fingerboard almost 1 MM when the board dried. Was it a good guitar? Actually it was a toy compared to other guitars on this list...but I'm sure he has learned about volume and other facets about top thickness since that time. We all have to learn as we go.

I have broken my silence about this but I'm not saying that he cannot build a good guitar.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2014 13:58:58

el carbonero

What was the year of your PDM ?

Blanca or negra?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2014 14:13:35

Tom Blackshear

RE: volume of a guitar (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

My favorite flamenco is the loudest (for the player) flamenco I have ever played. It is percussive and brilliant, but has a solid tone, ringing but not excessive basses. Arcangel Fernandez, the builder was a pro flamenco player before he became a guitar maker, but it was pretty much in the pre-amplification days of the Madrid tablaos. I don't know how it sounds in a big hall. When I had Richard Brune appraise it, he commented on how thin the top was. He also said he had played it a few hours, and "I really like this guitar."

Arcangel has had a long running reputation for building good flamenco guitars, and his pattern was very close to the Ramirez models. But I have found that Reyes has an edge with his design and this is an important factor for flamenco players.

I have pulled more volume and character from a Reyes style build than any other style I've built during my 53 years, and I have built many different styles of the masters.

But there is no doubt that Fernandez is a excellent collectible for any guitar enthusiast.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2014 14:17:36

tele

RE: volume of a guitar (in reply to Tom Blackshear

I think one opinion (which I also think is false) on granada guitars as bedroom guitars in this topic can be completely ignored.

I actually started this topic after I played a manuel reyes (maldonado) guitar and was really surprised by the volume which was x1.5 more than any other guitar I've played.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2014 14:28:23

etta

For discussions of our dogs, gas mileage, and guitars, etc., the most important element of truth is often convenience.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2014 14:58:24

Richard Jernigan

RE: volume of a guitar (in reply to Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Blackshear

Arcangel has had a long running reputation for building good flamenco guitars, and his pattern was very close to the Ramirez models. But I have found that Reyes has an edge with his design and this is an important factor for flamenco players.

I have pulled more volume and character from a Reyes style build than any other style I've built during my 53 years, and I have built many different styles of the masters.

But there is no doubt that Fernandez is a excellent collectible for any guitar enthusiast.

As I said, different strokes for different folks. The only Reyes I have played very much is a 1975 that I'm sure you are familiar with, though I have played a few others. I liked both my '67 Ramirez and a different friend's '73 Conde better. For me the pulsation of the Reyes was too soft, by a fair margin. But for our mutual friend, that Reyes was the greatest. Was Jerry's 1975 Reyes typical? Has Reyes' style changed much since 1975?

On the other hand, I'm sure my playing has changed, at least somewhat, since 1975.

The pulsation of the Arcangel is a little stiffer than the Ramirez, as was the '73 Conde's, which for me is a good thing. It might not be for someone else.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2014 15:14:46

Tom Blackshear

quote:

What was the year of your PDM ?

Blanca or negra?

It was a Blanca build with good wood in it....about 12 + years ago but he put a lacquer finish instead of a French polish that I had asked for.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2014 15:20:14
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote