Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: 70s Rock   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Miguel de Maria

RE: 70s Rock (in reply to runner

Hey runner, I love Zep too, they are in the "pantheon" for me. But I was listening to the Stones' awesome "Sticky Fingers" album and thinking much the same. There is an organic quality of variation in their arrangements. Nothing is ever quite the same, there's always a bit of human variability and nuance in the repeated licks.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2014 14:12:02

guitarbuddha

RE: 70s Rock (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria

Hey runner, I love Zep too, they are in the "pantheon" for me. But I was listening to the Stones' awesome "Sticky Fingers" album and thinking much the same. There is an organic quality of variation in their arrangements. Nothing is ever quite the same, there's always a bit of human variability and nuance in the repeated licks.

I like Zeppelin a lot too although I never got all the albums the way I did with Sabbath or Rainbow. I agree with you that a lot of new bands sound like a guy jamming with a playalong track and there is little 'contact'.

I love listening to real live in the studio recordings like early Motown where the band really drive the singer to outdo themselves musically. What really saddens me is that sometimes when I play with a band the drummer will not budge an inch to react to what is happening in the music in terms of his dynamics.

It's like a whole generation of guys grew up listening to radio friendly compressed tracks which air brush any sense of the band feeling their way through a performance together. So they don't know what they are missing.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2014 15:26:11

runner

RE: 70s Rock (in reply to Miguel de Maria

Miguel, I entirely share your enthusiasm for Sticky Fingers; it's my favorite Stones album and one of my 20 favorite Desert Island Disks (Rock Department/Studio). Virtually every track is a gem.

Dave, I agree that there is nothing like Live. Give me Tom Petty's Pack Up the Plantation, or Neil's Live Rust, or Skynyrd's One More From the Road (all Desert Island Disks (Rock Department/Live). Next best thing to being there.

At the risk of needlessly prolonging this thread, herewith a list of some songs that my body tells me, via almost 100% thrills, chills, gooseflesh every time I hear them, that I really, really like them. I've noted many times that I cannot distinguish good from bad in the arts--my mind lacks the necessary subtlety--I know only what I like and dislike. My limbic system, though, prompts me immediately every time I hear these-----(not in any order)

Gimme Shelter/Stones
Wooden Ships/Jefferson Airplane
Three Days/Jane's Addiction
Night of the Swallow/Kate Bush
Little Wing/Derek and the Dominoes
St. Charles/Jefferson Starship
Go Your Own Way/Fleetwood Mac (Live version from The Dance)
Cortez the Killer/Neil Young (Live version from Live Rust)
Move With Me/Neneh Cherry
Kashmir/Led Zeppelin
Fumbling Toward Ecstasy/Sarah Mclachlan (Live version from Mirrorball)

The elements that all these songs have in common is length. They are all at least 5 minutes, which allows enough time to establish a powerful sense of mood; to "get into" the song. Some of the songs are marked by particularly plangent guitar work: Little Wing, Cortez the Killer, Wooden Ships. Some by sinuous, ophidian guitar: St. Charles, Fumbling toward Ecstasy, Gimme Shelter. Others by swooping roller-coaster melody: Night of the Swallow, Go Your Own Way. Others just overwhelm: Three Days, Kashmir, for instance. These have all been linked with "cusp" experiences in discussions of the power of art, of our conception of the Sublime. And there are obvious parallels with our (anyway, my) appreciation of cante.

Thoughts welcome.

runner
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2014 23:56:39

Escribano

RE: 70s Rock (in reply to guitarbuddha

Matthias is pretty good but it is his earnest presentation and eyebrows that make me smile.

http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/metal/ritchie-blackmore.html

Very good web site, BTW. I have learnt a lot from the blues sections.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 22 2014 20:02:17
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote