Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Why buy a handmade guitar?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

guitarbuddha

RE: Why buy a handmade guitar? (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

... Man, I ´ve seen a report on a beautiful 400 m² apartment in a German castle ( for only 1 mio bucks).
And I thought like "Wow!!" while looking at those opulently rich carvings everywhere. Stunning works that must have taken ages to make, and unspeakable patience.

Ruphus

I had a friend who lived in a large house. He did not have the urge to look after or indeed inhabit all of it.

So he kept one room to work in all ramshackle and one to sleep in. And the rest covered in dust and undeveloped.

I don't blame the architect.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 10 2014 23:27:39

jshelton5040

RE: Why buy a handmade guitar? (in reply to guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarbuddha

But let us remember that the sound will always be handmade and the luthier has perhaps less responsibility for the RANGE and VARIETY of sound produced than do the hands themselves.

Your guitar should always be better than you.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2014 1:15:12

orsonw

RE: Why buy a handmade guitar? (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

"Handmade" isn't exactly the right word because factories still do a lot of the work by hand. I guess "handmade by an individual luthier" is more accurate.

As you say all guitars are handmade so maybe other categories are needed?

1.Individual luthier e.g. Jesus de Jiminez, Anders Eliasson, Andy Culpepper

2.Luthiers collaborating e.g. Pedro de Miguel (previous to 2008), Shelton-Farretta

3.Luthier with assistants e.g. Montero, Barba and Reyes padre when training his son

4.Workshops: Luthiers with assistants e.g. Bernal, Sanchis Lopez

5.Factory e.g. Yamaha

It's not very romantic I know but for me personally there are really only two categories- a guitar that suits my hands or one that does not (whoever made it)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2014 14:21:21

Anders Eliasson

You forgot one:
6. Mystical origin e.g. Conde

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2014 16:52:42

RobJe

Finding a great guitar is not that easy – if it was there would be far fewer posts about it on this forum.

If I had the opportunity to play a guitar blindfold for an hour I would be able to say that it was good, bad, or somewhere in between (for me). I would not be able to tell where it was located on the continuum from “made by one person using not much more than a sharp knife and a pot of glue” to “made by robots”.

I suspect that luthiers choosing to use a lot of “by hand” processes, do so partly because it makes them more fulfilled in their work – and I freely admit that a happy luthier could well be a good luthier! But for me the real advantage of choosing “handmade by one person” is that your guitar is made by someone who is likely to be developing and making better guitars each year rather than by some person(s) building to a set pattern.

Although I support the idea of “handmade” I know from experience that this doesn’t guarantee quality. The issue for a buyer is where to go to get the best chance of getting a good guitar. I am beyond the age where I need more guitars but if I was looking I would look for some or all of the following

1. The person whose name and signature is on the label is the person who has played the major part in construction.
2. Significant proportion of output is flamenco guitars (more than 50%).
3. Maker has some regular contact and discussions with competent flamenco players (and/or plays flamenco.)
4. Maker whose guitars I have tried and liked (or liked by someone whose opinion I respect).

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2014 11:53:30

keith

RE: Why buy a handmade guitar? (in reply to RobJe

maybe the guitar world should adopt similar rules as the swiss watch industry and the use of "swiss made" or "swiss movement".
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2014 13:49:21

johnguitar

Thanks Andy for a good post. Allow me to say that to some degree it is an argument to buy locally. Convincing guitar players to buy locally is not a great marketing plan for me as Granada might well have more professional makers than professional players and I sell more outside Spain than inside these days. However, buying locally is always a good idea whatever you are buying and having a guitarmaker or repairer nearby that you trust is priceless. I like some of the other comments made too, I would love to see buyers taking into account the honesty and integrity of the builder and whether he sells guitars made in factories as well as his own.

John Ray
https://www.johnguitar.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2014 14:18:36

Ruphus

RE: Why buy a handmade guitar? (in reply to johnguitar

quote:

ORIGINAL: johnguitar

I would love to see buyers taking into account the honesty and integrity of the builder and whether he sells guitars made in factories as well as his own.

Some professions to me just appear special in terms of integrity.
Like cobblers and luthiers.

Usually such fine folks.

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2014 16:31:33

Andy Culpepper

Thanks for the comment John. I agree with buying locally and I'm always happy when a find a customer nearby who can come in and see the shop and ask questions about the process. Those are pretty few and far between in my area unfortunately.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2014 16:10:41

El Burro Flamencuro

In my opinion one of the biggest reasons to go with a luthier made guitar besides quality is the following: artists supporting artists. Guitar building is another art. If we do not support them, the art will be lost and we'll be left with factory made pieces of crap.

Think about the big economic picture, these large companies take the money and hold onto it...sure they have to pay their workers and buy material to keep it running but for the most part they hold onto as much of the money as they can...thus the money doesn't get circulated and the economy suffers.(Unless you buy a factory guitar used from the guitar player) The guitar making industry alone might not be big enough to have a large impact on the overall economy but it most definitely has to contribute. Also it affects luthiers. Luthiers have to lower their prices to compete with the cheap prices of guitars. Do some quick math to see how hard it is to make a living as a luthier.

12 guitars a year @ 4,000 = 48k/year before taxes, before cost of materials
15 guitars a year @ 4,000 = 60k/year before taxes, before cost of materials
it seems to me like the only way to make 70k/year +...you'd have to charge 4,000+ and make close to 20 guitars(80k before tax, materials)

(from what some of the luthiers say, i think it would be hard to make 20/year unless you had some help, some extra workers or used premade rosette/ neck blanks, and cut a few corners) in a year. Keep in mind though this is assuming they're charging 4,000...think about the guys who are selling hand made instruments for cheaper. so you either raise your prices or somehow make more guitars...due to competitive prices ...more guitars sounds like the answer but like i said...that's probably no easy feat.

ps. i'm not claiming to be an expert on any of this stuff haha, i come up with a lot of theories.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 20 2014 0:51:44

crossoverman

I like hand made guitars. Hand made for me does not mean that someone personally presses a knob to start a machine for working with. Hand made for me is that someone really takes every piece of wood in his hand, and works with full concentration to make the best with and from it. And I think that the fast vibration from machines can make a kind of "shock" for the wood. The structures could become a kind of regide (?) and when going on with this process so the stress can and mostly will add. So you have too much tension in many and often main parts of the guitar. In the end it does not swing freely and you cant get the sound as possible.

And you always get a part of personality from the luthier. A part of him ist "in" the guitar.

So I can only take a guitar from a luthier that I really can accept how he is and how he does. If he isnt there with all his mind and heart, so it will be useless. And a hand made guitar is just a single piece. The customer has his thinking about different things of the guitar he wants. The wood, the setup, the sound and maybe a clear optical idea too. So the luthier should take care to hear what the customer wants to have and build this, if he can. This is, just in our modern world, a very big point. If a luthier dont want to see this and build the guitar that he is asked for, so maybe he better closes his door and sit in front of the super market to play guitar for earning his money.....

Thx, Gerrit
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 2 2014 17:04:16

Mark2

Why? I've asked myself that question many times. I'm left handed, and not having the ability to pick up and try out most all guitars has left me with little knowledge of how different woods sound, how different brands compare, etc. I found a couple pretty decent right handed name brand guitars a few decades ago and stuck with those two guitars. Never even really played any others. I was catching up with an old friend on the phone and he mentioned to me that he had a well known maker craft him a blanca. He visited the builder, picked the woods, discussed action, etc. He was so enthused he was considering ordering a negra. He was telling me I had to do it. Like me, his days of playing hours every day are long over, as family and business concerns have replaced the more carefree timetable of our younger days. No matter, he said, consider how much a handmade violin costs from a well known builder, and then weigh the value of the guitar. He said opening the case and just smelling the guitar is, well, whatever. Anyway, he sold me. I sent in my deposit and in three years or so, I'll post up my thoughts.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 24 2014 22:27:41

Gildeavalle

Orsonw, absolutely right with you. These days, I do not know of any professional guitar maker that tries to use arguments like handmade when it is not. Not everybody can afford bying a 100% hand made guitars, and thanks to factories and shops we have students introduced in the guitar world until they become professional guitarists that come to our guitar workshops and try our hand made guitars.
Also what you say "a guitar that suits my hands or one that does not (whoever made it)" is absolutely right. When guitar makers have recognitions for their profession and 1.sell guitars and are renown in their own town, region or country, and also internationally it is a guarantee that he or she is good, also 2. if they have both distributors or 3. guitarists meeting the guitar maker directly in their workshop or even 4. ordering a fine guitar not even having tried it, directly through the net. In my case, and I think that in the case of most of my established and renown collegues in Granada those are the 4 different procedures.

Otherwise when that guitar maker sells only abroad or through distributors after more than 15 years working (that's the time that the government establishes to become a master artisan), it means that he or she has good commercial connections, but why locals do not buy his or her guitars?
And also, respect and cooperation with our mates is very important. I respect every kind of business because it is the client the one who chooses and do not trust those who critizes or simply need an argument for selling guitars when it is your guitar the one that should sell not the argument of not having good guitarists around or with critics to other guitar makers o music stores, factories, etc.
So, again, if you start and cannot afford a hand made guitar, do no be afraid of buying factory guitars to start with and then change to a guitar maker, try his or her product, enjoy and fall in love with it, and when you take the decision, be sure that you made right, whatever the rest of the world say. If you liked, you liked and that's the good decision.

Daniel Gil de Avalle Guitar Maker/Luthier:
Classical, Flamenco & Historic Guitars
http://www.gildeavalle.wordpress.com
https://www.facebook.com/guitarrasdegranada
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2014 6:14:28

Anders Eliasson

RE: Why buy a handmade guitar? (in reply to orsonw

quote:

As you say all guitars are handmade so maybe other categories are needed?

1.Individual luthier e.g. Jesus de Jiminez, Anders Eliasson, Andy Culpepper

2.Luthiers collaborating e.g. Pedro de Miguel (previous to 2008), Shelton-Farretta

3.Luthier with assistants e.g. Montero, Barba and Reyes padre when training his son

4.Workshops: Luthiers with assistants e.g. Bernal, Sanchis Lopez

5.Factory e.g. Yamaha

I dont agree with this categorisation.

I would put 1 and 2 togther. Shelton-Farreta, Hernandez y Aguado and others. Work, (worked) together 2 luthiers. Working alone can be very lonesome. Still they are building like Luthiers working alone.
Number 3 is greyzone.
Number 4: bad name. A workshop is what we all have . I work alone in my workshop. I call them what they have allways been called: Small factory. Look at the Bernal videos. Its assembly line and I think Bernal has more different models than Yamaha and Alhambra has together. Sanchíz and other small factories have less models, but they are still assembling in line, with individual persons doing indivudual operations. No reason for making their method sound more romantic than it is.
Number 5. yes, its a factory

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2014 10:36:58

El Burdo

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 31 2014 23:23:56
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2014 13:32:36
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages